OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:44:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: religious journal?  (Read 162 times) Average Rating: 0
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« on: July 30, 2013, 09:28:14 PM »

I just started writing down some of my thoughts regarding how I feel at the end of the day - how the Lord helps me, what He has answered me, and even my sins and what I feel I've done to disappoint and offend the Lord.

When I re-read it, it seems as though the good things give me strength, however, the bad things I note down disappoint me tremendously. I try to end on a good note, as in I tell myself not to repeat my action, to have faith, to not get discouraged, but somehow I experience all three emotions.

I want to continue to do this, possibly complete it and compile a book for myself. I'm using the computer for convenience, and not pen & paper. I don't want to get discouraged. But I've never managed to keep a journal in my life because the 'bad things' I write down are too disappointing when I re-read them. However, I know life is not always a positive, happy day.

How can I continue this journal and not get discouraged by my bad days? 
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »

If you focus on the bad, or if you let that overwhelm you, it's going to bring you down.  If you ignore or minimise it, though, you might never make progress.  So why not be a bit more realistic?  You're not going to be able to fix everything overnight, so why not work on one thing at a time?  You may read over your entries for the last week or two and notice some sinful trends (e.g., anger, pride, lack of forgiveness).  Pick one of those things to work on, even if you are still struggling on the other things too.  Pick one and work on that until you make some progress on that, and then keep going with another, and then another.

Obviously, you should speak with your priest and get his advice.  But if you focus on one thing at a time rather than letting the whole mess weigh you down, you might feel more able to swim and stay above water rather than sink like a rock. 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »

Thank you, that is a wise answer, and frankly, quite practical as well. I will try that.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:30:10 AM »

A couple of articles for you:

I recommend a state of inner joy, from within, from the heart, a state which means unceasing prayer. A state of true joy, detached from the problems of life, the problems of the paths of life, of one person or another. A state of joy, no matter what. If there is sadness, the eggs of the devil are brooding. It's a state of absence, of darkness. If a man does not die in a position of being alive, of ascension, of being a pillar, then the entire creation suffers. We are part of a great union; the whole of God's creation is a union. If we break away from the great union, we are in a position of cancelling, of self-cancelling. So, I recommend a position of being alive. For the tragedy of the whole world must be felt as our own sins. And, the state of prayer means a state of presence. As a spiritual father who speaks all day to people who need uprightness, I do not recommend ascetic struggles. I recommend a state of permanent presence, which means to acknowledge the good forces within. (Elder Arsenie Papacioc, 1914-2011)
Source, my blog: http://romanianorthodoxyinenglish.blogspot.ro/2013/02/be-in-state-of-continous-presence-and.html

And this one which I am not going to post because it's quite long: http://www.razbointrucuvant.ro/2012/07/07/father-raphael-noica-we-do-not-need-to-despair-eng/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:30:54 AM by IoanC » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: