OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 02:55:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I become an Orthodox Pilgrim?  (Read 1842 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« on: June 09, 2013, 12:16:18 PM »

Can you become an Orthodox Pilgrim travelling,sojourning,making the treak, embarked on the journey
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »

Why do you ask us?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:22:13 PM »

Because I thought there would be more people. So people with experience in monasticism and prayer. Could perhaps help answer my thread
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »

Can I become an Orthodox Pilgrim?

Yes, if you are either very rich or very poor.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »

Becoming an Orthodox Pilgrim for Jesus.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »

A rich one or a poor one?

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »

A rich one or a poor one?

A faithful rich one. Pilgrimages to Sacred Shrines etc
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »

You can if you want, though you don't need to.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 01:10:04 PM »

If you want to visit monasteries or shrines, there's nothing to stop you. I would get in touch with someone at your church and see what they can recommend. Some parishes even have retreats or trips that they arrange. I hope you find something that suits you.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »

Can I become an Orthodox Pilgrim?

Yes, if you are either very rich or very poor.

WOW. That was nice.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 01:39:36 PM »

Can you become an Orthodox Pilgrim travelling,sojourning,making the treak, embarked on the journey

You don't have enough money to go to your parish church yet you want to start going on some expensive trips to faraway monasteries? Am I missing something?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »

Not really, when I signed up to be Orthodox - I would just assume that that was it.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »

You don't have enough money to go to your parish church yet you want to start going on some expensive trips to faraway monasteries? Am I missing something?

The vehicle we use now isn't very reliable and could stop working in Ft. Worth.   

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »

What exactly are you asking?

Can it be done?  Yes. Asterisktos did have a valid point.

Spending weeks going from one place to another, means you are either rich enough that you are not tied down by work and responsibilities, or poor enough where you don't have to worry about work or responsibilities.

There is a middle ground. You could be a weekend pilgrim. Travel to nearby monasteries and holy sites on the weekends.

It you truly have the need, you will find a way.

May God help you on your journey.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 03:14:54 PM »

You can. Of course there are lots of better uses for your money but yes, you can do that.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure a very long beard is mandatory.  Its in the canons, I think.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 02:03:54 PM »

Nope.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:08:05 PM by WPM » Logged
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 02:09:05 PM »

What exactly are you asking?

Can it be done?  Yes. Asterisktos did have a valid point.

Spending weeks going from one place to another, means you are either rich enough that you are not tied down by work and responsibilities, or poor enough where you don't have to worry about work or responsibilities.

There is a middle ground. You could be a weekend pilgrim. Travel to nearby monasteries and holy sites on the weekends.

It you truly have the need, you will find a way.

May God help you on your journey.

hey, Thanks!  Smiley
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »

There is a Catholic deacon doing this and has been doing so for years now, Pilgrim George.  He is poor.  His homebase is Holy Trinity Byzantine Catholic Monastery in Butler, PA where he stays in the winter.  Otherwise he is walking from shrine to shrine.

On facebook you can see his group under Pilgrim for Christ.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:14:58 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »

Why not though? I want to experience the The Pilgrim and the Jesus Prayer[/u].
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »

Do you mean something along the lines of The Way of A Pilgrim? You can do that if you wish--if you think it a good pursuit. But fwiw, a different approach might be the Way of the Ascetics, which for most of us is probably more suited to what we can handle (financially, spiritually, and otherwise). Also, another document worth taking into consideration: St. Gregory of Nyssa - On Pilgrimages

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »

Do you mean something along the lines of The Way of A Pilgrim? You can do that if you wish--if you think it a good pursuit. But fwiw, a different approach might be the Way of the Ascetics, which for most of us is probably more suited to what we can handle (financially, spiritually, and otherwise). Also, another document worth taking into consideration: St. Gregory of Nyssa - On Pilgrimages

Cool thanks for the info! <wave>
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 08:54:24 PM »

I'll try to explain what I'm getting at.  I read The Pilgrim and his way ... I want to be become a pilgrim with the Jesus prayer. And look forward to a wonderful journey along the path given to us.
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »

I'll try to explain what I'm getting at.  I read The Pilgrim and his way ... I want to be become a pilgrim with the Jesus prayer. And look forward to a wonderful journey along the path given to us.

Seems mighty odd that someone who, for whatever reasons, doesn't go to church, wants to become a pilgrim ....
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »

I'll try to explain what I'm getting at.  I read The Pilgrim and his way ... I want to be become a pilgrim with the Jesus prayer. And look forward to a wonderful journey along the path given to us.

Seems mighty odd that someone who, for whatever reasons, doesn't go to church, wants to become a pilgrim ....

We don't have an Orthodox church in our town. You have to have a car and car insurance and gas money to commute back and forth to Ft. Worth
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:22:05 AM by WPM » Logged
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »

Yes, my idea is something like that. The Pilgrim and the Jesus prayer - following my path.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »

Yes, my idea is something like that. The Pilgrim and the Jesus prayer - following my path.

Still don't make sense.  Huh
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »

Still don't make sense.  Huh

I don't know what you're talking about either.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »

Its fairly easy to get out and make the journey to a church.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 08:06:59 PM »

So what's stopping you? You say you can't make it to church, but you're eager to go on a grand pilgrimage? That's what doesn't make sense.  Huh
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 08:12:44 PM »

So what's stopping you? You say you can't make it to church, but you're eager to go on a grand pilgrimage? That's what doesn't make sense.  Huh

.... laugh!!
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »

That part is true ... I would have to buy a new car or truck to make the commute.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »

That part is true ... I would have to buy a new car or truck to make the commute.

Pilgrim George does it on foot.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »

Pretty sure WPM lives on a different floor... Don't know if many realize that.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 07:16:41 AM »

Pretty sure WPM lives on a different floor... Don't know if many realize that.

So I'm not the only one.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: