OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:28:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are any of you universalists?  (Read 2622 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2013, 12:59:14 AM »

Statements of anathema, and one as clear as that, do not need philosophical analysis to get at their meaning. Origen might have been a "great thinker", but the Church and her Fathers have decreed that much of what he stood for deserved censure, and, in some cases, the strongest repudiation in the form of an anathema.

You might not like it, Orthonorm, but the Church has spoken, and spoken clearly on this matter. Labeling folks as fundies and literalists just because they use the established traditions of the Church to counter your pet philosophies and musings is just a cheap and lazy swipe.

That is why I don’t reply to philosophical ideas from people when the truth is clear.  When one of the first things spoken in reply is “What is truth”, the discussion has ended.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2013, 01:29:55 AM »

All I asked is if any of you are universalists. The answer can be a simple "I am a universalist." I didn't ask "is it okay to be a universalist?"

Since we are on the topic though, it seems that what is forbidden is believing that all will definitely be saved. I see a difference between believing everyone will definitely be saved and everyone will probably be saved. Would the latter be within the real of orthodoxy, seeing as it is not a definitive claim?

I would say no because most probably will not be saved.  More people reject God than accept Him.  We can hope they will at some point change their views before it is too late, but "all" or "most" would be foolish to believe.  All are possible, but we are taught all will not be saved.  I would even go so far as to say we are taught most will not be saved.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2013, 01:52:29 AM »

I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe that in "The Orthodox Church" Bishop Ware said something along the lines of "We cannot believe that all must be saved, but we can hope that they will be."

I'd point out here that there is not only a difference between 'must' and 'hope,' but between 'must' and 'will.'

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2013, 01:53:40 AM »

Statements of anathema, and one as clear as that, do not need philosophical analysis to get at their meaning. Origen might have been a "great thinker", but the Church and her Fathers have decreed that much of what he stood for deserved censure, and, in some cases, the strongest repudiation in the form of an anathema.

You might not like it, Orthonorm, but the Church has spoken, and spoken clearly on this matter. Labeling folks as fundies and literalists just because they use the established traditions of the Church to counter your pet philosophies and musings is just a cheap and lazy swipe.

That is why I don’t reply to philosophical ideas from people when the truth is clear.  When one of the first things spoken in reply is “What is truth”, the discussion has ended.

Is Christ clear?  It seems like there's been an awful lot of dispute about Him if He (either His teachings or His person) are clear.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2013, 01:58:31 AM »

Your statement really hits home for me. I have been wrestling with the concept of free will and choice as of late, and ideas like rejecting God or choosing Hell of our own free will seem absurd to me. Can one really freely choose what goes counter for their biological and psychological drive for perceived goods? It seems that such a decision would necessarily be the result of ignorance or psychosis.
yeah i dont like to get into reductionism anymore. its interesting to see the dialectics played out between the two (or the absurd methodologies theologians employ), but life is pretty much contradictory and constantly being moved/changed by opposites.

im all for throwing out the silly notion of being held responsible for our actions. it just screams of legalism, much of it commandeered from the bourgeois.

Legalism (theology)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legalism_%28theology%29

and really do you see here how much it atomizes humans here? (make note how we get individualism out of free will also, which is odd because we should be all like christ)

much of the protestant work ethic derives much from an idea of free will, but the roman catholics in the past had a much better way of dealing with work ethic and free will.

christians can be a disgusting lot, especially stewarded by terrible (literally) theologians behind the pulpit

also, its not a sin to be ignorant. arrogant, perhaps. actually that may require a larger penance.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:00:42 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2013, 02:01:43 AM »

I would say no because most probably will not be saved.  More people reject God than accept Him.  We can hope they will at some point change their views before it is too late, but "all" or "most" would be foolish to believe.  All are possible, but we are taught all will not be saved.  I would even go so far as to say we are taught most will not be saved.
This is one of the most gut wrenching and horrific statements I have ever read. Good thing Orthodoxy doesn't claim most are damned as you do.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2013, 02:02:00 AM »

Seems like a weak man's philosophy to me. Why is it so hard to accept that some people will go to Hell? Christ made it very clear and constantly talked about it in His Gospels. I grew up my entire life hearing about Hell and punishment. It didn't screw me up or disturb me as much as it does so many of these wealthy, liberal upper-middle class, woe-is-me Liberaldox Larry "Christians"?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2013, 02:04:38 AM »

Is Christ clear?  It seems like there's been an awful lot of dispute about Him if He (either His teachings or His person) are clear.

That's an argument from ignorance, dude. It kills me to lock wits with you because you are my friend, but I calls it like I see it. ultimately you are saying that since Christ is often confusing and His teachings are hard to understand, that universalism must be true or something along those lines. It's like when an Evangelical says God is real because there is "no evidence that He doesn't exist."

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2013, 02:11:39 AM »

it only took a cursory glance at what kierkergaard was writing of christ when i realized everybody else seemed so muddled

the big trip for conservatives like kerdy are the staunch commnual stuff christ instructed us to do.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
truthseeker32
Elder

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2013, 02:13:09 AM »

Why is it so hard to accept that some people will go to Hell?
I think the most obvious answer is because of love. If we care for our fellow human beings we should absolutely struggle with the idea of them being lost.

For a more philosophical answer to your question I would point to questions such as:

1. Do we actually have free will?

2. Can a person freely choose Hell?

3. What is the point of allowing someone to suffer eternally?

Christ clearly states in the NT that it would have been better if Judas had never been born because of his sins. If this is truly the case then why didn't God destroy Judas? Shouldn't God, being goodness, do what is best?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2013, 02:19:53 AM »

how can you actively reject something that you may not put any thought into?

isnt rejecting god some sort of a spiritual problem?

here we go with adhereing to some sort of strict disciplanarian action to thwart some kind of "sin". you are too legalistic.

really whats the damnation here?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2013, 02:20:22 AM »

That doesn't really mean anything. There is a lot of dispute about evolution, too.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2013, 02:21:40 AM »

im all for throwing out the silly notion of being held responsible for our actions.

Are you being serious?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2013, 02:22:42 AM »

That doesn't really mean anything. There is a lot of dispute about evolution, too.
dispute from whom and of what quality are the disputes?

atleast the flat earther who posted here was far more coherent than the creationists i faced.

why is evolution such a stumbling block for people i will never understand.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2013, 02:26:54 AM »

This is one of the most gut wrenching and horrific statements I have ever read. Good thing Orthodoxy doesn't claim most are damned as you do.

I have no idea what you're talking about. That's in the Bible.

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2013, 02:29:08 AM »

dispute from whom and of what quality are the disputes?

atleast the flat earther who posted here was far more coherent than the creationists i faced.

why is evolution such a stumbling block for people i will never understand.

I am just pointing out that the existence of disputes does not validate the opposing arguments.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2013, 02:37:55 AM »

im all for throwing out the silly notion of being held responsible for our actions.

Are you being serious?

Are you being serious?
again you have too much faith in the agency of humans.

people born in hell are going to be _______

for every exception you have multitudes of people getting dragged down by their environment. what sort of free will is that
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:38:19 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2013, 02:39:23 AM »

I am just pointing out that the existence of disputes does not validate the opposing arguments.
no but your little justice scales should balance out the better argument here

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2013, 02:44:27 AM »

again you have too much faith in the agency of humans.

people born in hell are going to be _______

for every exception you have multitudes of people getting dragged down by their environment. what sort of free will is that

Well, free will and synergy are part of every Orthodox description of man's salvation that I've ever heard.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:44:38 AM by William » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2013, 03:00:38 AM »

In my more religious moments, yes.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
truthseeker32
Elder

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2013, 03:07:17 AM »

Granting that what you say is true, I would merely reject that what the Bible says on the matter.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2013, 03:12:26 AM »

Granting that what you say is true, I would merely reject that what the Bible says on the matter.
look at his avatar

its gotta be black and white.

william didnt like the new math very much

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2013, 03:13:15 AM »

look at his avatar

its gotta be black and white.

william didnt like the new math very much

What new math?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2013, 05:49:30 AM »

That's an argument from ignorance, dude. It kills me to lock wits with you because you are my friend, but I calls it like I see it. ultimately you are saying that since Christ is often confusing and His teachings are hard to understand, that universalism must be true or something along those lines. It's like when an Evangelical says God is real because there is "no evidence that He doesn't exist."

I encourage you to read the post I was replying to.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2013, 06:53:39 AM »

Jesus was clear, it's people who muddle the teachings.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2013, 06:54:09 AM »

You are welcome.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2013, 06:55:40 AM »

how can you actively reject something that you may not put any thought into?

isnt rejecting god some sort of a spiritual problem?

here we go with adhereing to some sort of strict disciplanarian action to thwart some kind of "sin". you are too legalistic.

really whats the damnation here?

What are you talking about?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2013, 06:57:30 AM »

He just is t looking at it from the proper perspective.  Most people are not damned.  Most people damn themselves.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2013, 06:58:23 AM »

no but your little justice scales should balance out the better argument here
Better argument according to what standard?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2013, 06:59:43 AM »

Cherry picking never works in the end.  One can hope for someone's salvation realizing it may not happen.
truthseeker32
Elder

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »

Cherry picking never works in the end.  One can hope for someone's salvation realizing it may not happen.
Call it cherry picking if you like. I call it reading the bible as the majority of well educated biblical scholars and many church fathers read the Bible, meaning there are contradictions, ambiguities, allegories, and riddles that prevent one clear and simple interpretation. Reading the Bible as you seem to recommend leads to various interpretations and various denominations. Good thing there is a Church that interprets the text. Otherwise we would be stuck with a New Testament that teaches universal reconciliation and suggests that most are damned.

I recommend this essay where Met. Hilarion discusses St. Isaac's thought on God's love: http://www.worldapostoliccongressonmercy.org/IMG/pdf/Bishop_Hilarion_Alfeyev.pdf
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:32:16 PM by truthseeker32 » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »

Otherwise we would be stuck with a New Testament that teaches universal reconciliation

Huh

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
truthseeker32
Elder

« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »

Otherwise we would be stuck with a New Testament that teaches universal reconciliation

Huh
If we read the NT verbatim we find verses that both suggest universal reconciliation and verses that suggest the opposite. My point is that the NT alone does not give us a clear message on the matter.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2013, 05:22:49 PM »

Cherry picking never works in the end.  One can hope for someone's salvation realizing it may not happen.
Call it cherry picking if you like. I call it reading the bible as the majority of well educated biblical scholars and many church fathers read the Bible, meaning there are contradictions, ambiguities, allegories, and riddles that prevent one clear and simple interpretation. Reading the Bible as you seem to recommend leads to various interpretations and various denominations. Good thing there is a Church that interprets the text. Otherwise we would be stuck with a New Testament that teaches universal reconciliation and suggests that most are damned.

I recommend this essay where Met. Hilarion discusses St. Isaac's thought on God's love: http://www.worldapostoliccongressonmercy.org/IMG/pdf/Bishop_Hilarion_Alfeyev.pdf
There are not 10,000 roads to God.  Without faith on Christ, a person will never find God.  I don't make the rules, I simply live by them.  The scholarly folks you speak of denied universal salvation for all.  That pretty much ends the debate, unless you belong to a different church.

EDIT:  there are no contradictions.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:24:05 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2013, 05:38:47 PM »

He just is t looking at it from the proper perspective.  Most people are not damned.  Most people damn themselves.

What is your support for this assertion?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2013, 05:40:28 PM »

Huh
If we read the NT verbatim we find verses that both suggest universal reconciliation and verses that suggest the opposite. My point is that the NT alone does not give us a clear message on the matter.

Do list passages supporting universalism.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »

Huh

That is the central question, what does Holy Tradition say. It is my understanding the the doctrine of "There is no salvation outside the
 ( Orthodox) Catholic Church is well establish.. Just because this is a "Hard saying" is no excuse for leaving or changing it. That much is in scripture.

You are saved by The Church. From our perspective that does mean actual membership. For those cases where God saves people who are not members of his Church he still uses The Church as the vehicle of their salvation... Thinking about how that can be can make you head hurt, so I would suggest we just focus on what we know for sure and encourage people to actually, really, in fact Join The Church and become grafted onto God himself... The path is hard and the gate is narrow.   

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2013, 06:41:19 AM »

What is your support for this assertion?

Holy Scripture.  Start with Genesis.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2013, 07:26:28 AM »

I would say the damnation of most people is a possibility we have to entertain. I'm not sure we have to believe it as a matter of faith.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2013, 07:28:05 AM »

I would say the damnation of most people is a possibility we have to entertain. I'm not sure we have to believe it as a matter of faith.

Yes, but you worded it better than I did. Grin
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »

The Fifth Ecumenical Council condemned the belief that all will be saved. One can hope that all shall be saved, though.

No.  Just no.

"No" what? No, the Fifth Ecumenical Council said no such thing? Or no, the Fifth Ecumenical Council was wrong?

But in answer to the OP, it is a heresy to believe that all will be saved. We don't know who will be saved in the end and who won't, except for the relatively small number of saints who have been revealed to the Church. We also know that those who die outside the Church won't be saved immediately, i.e. their souls can't go to Paradise before the Last Judgment, though we don't know how they will be judged then. Faith can only cover certainties. As Cyrillic notes, however, we can certainly hope that all will be saved in the end, since hope covers that which we are not certain about.

No, the Fifth Ecumenical Council said no such thing.  We've been over this a thousand times on the forum.

From the Council:

If anyone says or thinks that the punishment of demons and of impious men is only temporary, and will one day have an end, and that a restoration (apokatastasis ) will take place of demons and of impious men, let him be anathema. (one of the anathemas against Origen)

St. Clement of Alexandria and St. Gregory of Nyssa also held these views.....They were dismissed on the grounds that they were "errors of Charity".  St. Augustine of Hippo was against this thinking.  Our choices are real, and the Lord takes them seriously. 
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »

There are not 10,000 roads to God.  Without faith on Christ, a person will never find God.  I don't make the rules, I simply live by them.  The scholarly folks you speak of denied universal salvation for all.  That pretty much ends the debate, unless you belong to a different church.

EDIT:  there are no contradictions.

What if the quantifiers are contraindicated?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:43 AM »

Huh

Yes, this seems almost impossible.

But show me where in the Bible where it says we WON'T resurrect as spheres?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:13:59 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »

Huh

mmmmmmmmmmm.. Specious argument. The scriptures don't explicitly say that God is not a goat. But we cant therefore conclude that God might be a goat just because Scripture doesn't directly address the issue Smiley

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2013, 10:56:14 AM »

Huh

mmmmmmmmmmm.. Specious argument. The scriptures don't explicitly say that God is not a goat. But we cant therefore conclude that God might be a goat just because Scripture doesn't directly address the issue Smiley

Actually the Scriptures explicitly describe God (aka Jesus Christ) as a "lamb". Lambs aren't goats, ipso facto ergo sum, God's not a goat.

There. Solved it for you! Aren't you glad there was a legalistic Roman Catholic around to help out?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags: universalism  universal reconciliation 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: