OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 07:46:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jehovah witnesses at my door  (Read 1985 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »

Somebody once came out of a grocery store, and was heading to his car with groceries.  2 Jehovah's witnesses walked up and asked if he would like to become a Jehovah's witness.  He replied, "I am afraid I cannot.  I did not see the accident."  Smiley

Good one, that's a keeper...!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 12:13:25 PM »

FWIW, JWs have been some the singularly most welcoming and loving people I've ever met on a whole, especially those who have been JW for sometime.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »

FWIW, JWs have been some the singularly most welcoming and loving people I've ever met on a whole, especially those who have been JW for sometime.

They have to be, if they weren't insanely nice, they would go crazy and shoot up the 75th person who slams a door in their face.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

Sometimes when I'm out on the street they give me some of their pamplets. I always take them, smile and then throw them away when out of sight.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »

Certainly, this is my experience with Mormons.  With JW's, I think it's a little more complex, but still generally true.  Again, just based on my experience.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »

I work with a JW.  Decent enough fella.  Definitely not Christian though.  People can often be sincere and sincerely wrong.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »

In my limited experience, JWs are generally nicer people, however, they are very weird. Mormons are very judgmental, somewhat privileged, wealthy people, but more normal than JWs. Make sense?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »

In my limited experience, JWs are generally nicer people, however, they are very weird. Mormons are very judgmental, somewhat privileged, wealthy people, but more normal than JWs. Make sense?
Such crude stereotypes? No, they don't make sense.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:50:03 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2013, 05:00:52 PM »

I've never had a JW get preachy with me. They have always just rang the doorbell, hand me some pamplet or such that invites me to come find out who Jesus is or whatever and I shake their hand and say thank you and then it's over.

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
converted viking

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »

I just ask  them if would they like to meet my Rotweiller named Jezebel, my Great Dane/German Shepherd/Ridge back mix named Lucifer, and my Pit Bull named Cannabis. Grin

Viking
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »

I just ask  them if would they like to meet my Rotweiller named Jezebel, my Great Dane/German Shepherd/Ridge back mix named Lucifer, and my Pit Bull named Cannabis. Grin

Viking

I find rolling your eyes in the back of your head and singing in a high falsetto "Christus Dominus Christs Dominus Christus Dominus!" works well too.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 07:22:48 PM »

I find rolling your eyes in the back of your head and singing in a high falsetto "Christus Dominus Christs Dominus Christus Dominus!" works well too.

If you pick a trigger word in advance (faith? Jesus? Witness?) and break into yodelling or ululation at the first mention, you may even get rid of them once and for all.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2013, 08:02:12 AM »

If you pick a trigger word in advance (faith? Jesus? Witness?) and break into yodelling or ululation at the first mention, you may even get rid of them once and for all.
Yodelling is the solution to most problems in life.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »

Im sure the "shunned" would give you their own accounts of the JW's in their formerly in their lives.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »

Im sure the "shunned" would give you their own accounts of the JW's in their formerly in their lives.

PP

Uhhhh, I've known four "shunned" JWs who reconciled with their families without having to re-enter the faith. I was closely involved in one of the reconciliations. The family is highly active in the SW Ohio JW community and had a lot to lose after the break with their child.

Some common sense and reasonable talk reconciled the issue.

Just like in the others.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »

i had a really nice chat with a jw lady on a bus once. she sat right next to me, so i said 'hi' and i could see she had some 'too colourful' leaflets, so i thought she must be jw. i listened politely for a while and then started to explain Christology - why Jesus is divine. i explained about the early church councils and the orthodox church etc. and we had quite a nice chat before she got off at her stop.
but when i was younger, i used to find it difficult to talk to them. so i think if you are not sure what to say, just have a polite 5 minute conversation on the door step and then say you are busy. they are good at confusing people, so i think you should check with an older Christian or priest to get advice whether or not you should talk to them a lot.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2013, 03:20:43 PM »

i had a really nice chat with a jw lady on a bus once. she sat right next to me, so i said 'hi' and i could see she had some 'too colourful' leaflets, so i thought she must be jw. i listened politely for a while and then started to explain Christology - why Jesus is divine. i explained about the early church councils and the orthodox church etc. and we had quite a nice chat before she got off at her stop.
but when i was younger, i used to find it difficult to talk to them. so i think if you are not sure what to say, just have a polite 5 minute conversation on the door step and then say you are busy. they are good at confusing people, so i think you should check with an older Christian or priest to get advice whether or not you should talk to them a lot.

The part of my life as a kid that was spent in absurd poverty in subsidized housing, I used to really enjoy finding the Watchtower pamphlets as a young kid in the laundry facilities room. The stupid and garish "art" I found interesting and I liked reading the material. Granted I was 5-7 years of age.

Also they were really nice to us and visited the kids not infrequently. Mind you this was a place, where I saw numerous people get killed, once right in front of my eyes, drug use, prostitution was rampant, etc. Yet these people came and spent time with us.

I don't know what their endgame was, as they never asked us to go to Sunday school or anything.

Oh, as an adult I dated a "disfellowshipped" JW. Her parents had all the Watchtowers hardbound by year back through the early 70s. I was able to find some of those Watchtowers I had read as a kid. Her family thought it was fantastic.

Now listen to that. I wasn't JW. Their daughter was disfellowshipped. And we both were allowed around them and all their JW friends. And not allowed, welcomed. Her mother thought I was the greatest thing and wanted to adopt me.

And these people were serious, like all time not spent working was spent doing "Bible study".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:21:46 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2013, 03:31:28 PM »

A friend of mine is "disfellowshipped" but still sees her JW dad and sister on a regular basis; they are on good terms, though it would be hard to deny that there is some strain and bitterness in there. I believe there was definite pressure on the dad to shun her, but he didn't.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:38:52 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »

The part of my life as a kid that was spent in absurd poverty in subsidized housing, I used to really enjoy finding the Watchtower pamphlets as a young kid in the laundry facilities room. The stupid and garish "art" I found interesting and I liked reading the material. Granted I was 5-7 years of age.

Also they were really nice to us and visited the kids not infrequently. Mind you this was a place, where I saw numerous people get killed, once right in front of my eyes, drug use, prostitution was rampant, etc. Yet these people came and spent time with us.

I don't know what their endgame was, as they never asked us to go to Sunday school or anything.

Oh, as an adult I dated a "disfellowshipped" JW. Her parents had all the Watchtowers hardbound by year back through the early 70s. I was able to find some of those Watchtowers I had read as a kid. Her family thought it was fantastic.

Now listen to that. I wasn't JW. Their daughter was disfellowshipped. And we both were allowed around them and all their JW friends. And not allowed, welcomed. Her mother thought I was the greatest thing and wanted to adopt me.

And these people were serious, like all time not spent working was spent doing "Bible study".

orthonorm, I don't think there are anybody here who doubts what you are telling us is true, but that doesn't make the negative stories false. Jehovah's Witnesses are humans, just like the rest of us and they react to situations in different ways.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »

glad u found some comfort in a hard time.
yes, you can't sterotype about people.
it was a muslim who told me to go to the coptic orthodox church. God uses many people to bring comfort.

but i have seen your pic in that thread about pics, and can't believe you were around in the early 70's.
are you really nearly middled aged like me?!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2013, 04:07:16 PM »

glad u found some comfort in a hard time.
yes, you can't sterotype about people.
it was a muslim who told me to go to the coptic orthodox church. God uses many people to bring comfort.

but i have seen your pic in that thread about pics, and can't believe you were around in the early 70's.
are you really nearly middled aged like me?!

No, I meant it went back that far. The Watchtowers I had read wudda been circa late 70s / early 80s.

I remember the one cover really well.

And the last couple years have been rather hard on me, so I probably look like I am 50 now.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »

orthonorm, I don't think there are anybody here who doubts what you are telling us is true, but that doesn't make the negative stories false. Jehovah's Witnesses are humans, just like the rest of us and they react to situations in different ways.

Except, when you delve into those stories you have a lot of people like the woman who I was dating who were compounding their problem by being overly defiant about being "brainwashed".

Most of the problems stem from closed knit communities with radically different normative measures for behavior having adolescents go full on secular and get really defiant.

It would probably be very similar for Christians, if Christians expected their children to act like Christians and towed the line with them. I mean YiM would throw out his own child for being gay.

I had a stern and ridiculous upbringing and had enough sense or not enough courage to change my situation till I could, about 16. And I was willing to deal with the fallout. And I was not naive enough to color my experience as a function of cultic behavior or "brainwashing".

Sorry, when threads come along here which play on typical stereotypes which bear almost no resemblance to the world I've seen, I gotta say something.

And if you are not uptight like myself and have lived a relatively colorful life free of parental responsibility, you are going to have come across many sorts of different people. I know nonsense when I hear it and will say so.

Did the woman I dated go through some unfortunate stuff? Yes. Was it all her parents' fault? No.

If YiM's son came to me and told me he was gay and he was going to out himself, I would counsel him to wait to live how he thinks he must after he gets away from a place where doing so would cause him undue harm. But I understand teenage angst as much as anyone else. But I also understand sucking it in till you can jump ship.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:18:42 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2013, 05:38:24 PM »

two jw's showed up at my grandmother's house a long time ago to try and convert her.

she ended up "converting" both of them to just regular protestants. i think it took about 2 weeks. ill never understand how she did it.

i could never be good at evangelism even if i tried.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »

two jw's showed up at my grandmother's house a long time ago to try and convert her.

she ended up "converting" both of them to just regular protestants. i think it took about 2 weeks. ill never understand how she did it.

i could never be good at evangelism even if i tried.

LOL!

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2013, 10:12:41 PM »

I don't get those very much. However, I once had two people come to my door advocating this "God the Mother" odd heretical Trinitarian view. Normally I would have destroyed them and went into hyperdox mode, but, they looked poor so I felt bad. I just gave them a donation, threw their pamphlets into the dumpster and then sent the missionaries to my irreligious, atheist grandparents' apartment as a joke  Cheesy

I think you left out a few details...

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »

Except, when you delve into those stories you have a lot of people like the woman who I was dating who were compounding their problem by being overly defiant about being "brainwashed".

Most of the problems stem from closed knit communities with radically different normative measures for behavior having adolescents go full on secular and get really defiant.

It would probably be very similar for Christians, if Christians expected their children to act like Christians and towed the line with them. I mean YiM would throw out his own child for being gay.

I had a stern and ridiculous upbringing and had enough sense or not enough courage to change my situation till I could, about 16. And I was willing to deal with the fallout. And I was not naive enough to color my experience as a function of cultic behavior or "brainwashing".

Sorry, when threads come along here which play on typical stereotypes which bear almost no resemblance to the world I've seen, I gotta say something.

And if you are not uptight like myself and have lived a relatively colorful life free of parental responsibility, you are going to have come across many sorts of different people. I know nonsense when I hear it and will say so.

Did the woman I dated go through some unfortunate stuff? Yes. Was it all her parents' fault? No.

If YiM's son came to me and told me he was gay and he was going to out himself, I would counsel him to wait to live how he thinks he must after he gets away from a place where doing so would cause him undue harm. But I understand teenage angst as much as anyone else. But I also understand sucking it in till you can jump ship.

I have no doubt that many (if not most) Jehovah's Witnesses would not shun their own children. This, however, doesn't change the fact, that there are also many instances where the practice of "disfelloweshipping" is taken to a very extreme level. In order to get a nuanced picture of the JW, one cannot ignore either of these two situations.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »

I have no doubt that many (if not most) Jehovah's Witnesses would not shun their own children. This, however, doesn't change the fact, that there are also many instances where the practice of "disfelloweshipping" is taken to a very extreme level
There are more than a few ex-JW's in my area that have not seen their families in years because of the shunning thing. Whether or not it happens everywhere, or if there are examples of it not happening, the JW's officially support such activities if the members apostatize (not just stop going to church).

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: