OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:55:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jehovah witnesses at my door  (Read 2096 times) Average Rating: 0
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: June 07, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »

I have been working remotely so I am home all day and the Jehovah Witnesses keep knocking on my door.    Today there was a very smartly dressed woman with a little boy in a little gray suit.   She wanted to give me her pamphlet so I asked her if she was a Jehovah's Witness and she said, Yes, yes she was. So I said, No, thank you, I am a Christian.  My intent was to imply that I am happy with my own faith and the teaching and guidance of my own church.  Unfortunately this seemed to offend the woman because she said gave me a strong glare and said that she was a Christian, too, and that that's why she was doing what she was doing.  I wished her a good day and she wished me a good day but gave me a death stare that I've only seem employed by Scientologists. I could tell she was offended that I implied she wasn't a Christian.

Since they seem to be making the rounds quite frequently,  I would like some advice on how to interact with them.  Do I just take the pamphlet and let them go on their way? I really don't want their literature in my house, but I guess I could immediately put it in the recycle bin. Or, should I feel obligated to interact with them in the hope of sharing a bit of the true Christian faith?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 10:09:44 AM »

I think they keep a record of the houses they visit with something like a "yes", "no", "maybe" checklist. If you express a lack of interest x number of times, they'll stop visiting you.

If you feel you know JW theology and the Orthodox responses to it well enough, then it wouldn't hurt inviting them in to share the faith with them. However, they're there to convert you, not to have dialogue, so I wouldn't expect them to be receptive.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »

I have been working remotely so I am home all day and the Jehovah Witnesses keep knocking on my door.    Today there was a very smartly dressed woman with a little boy in a little gray suit.   She wanted to give me her pamphlet so I asked her if she was a Jehovah's Witness and she said, Yes, yes she was. So I said, No, thank you, I am a Christian.  My intent was to imply that I am happy with my own faith and the teaching and guidance of my own church.  Unfortunately this seemed to offend the woman because she said gave me a strong glare and said that she was a Christian, too, and that that's why she was doing what she was doing.  I wished her a good day and she wished me a good day but gave me a death stare that I've only seem employed by Scientologists. I could tell she was offended that I implied she wasn't a Christian.

Since they seem to be making the rounds quite frequently,  I would like some advice on how to interact with them.  Do I just take the pamphlet and let them go on their way? I really don't want their literature in my house, but I guess I could immediately put it in the recycle bin. Or, should I feel obligated to interact with them in the hope of sharing a bit of the true Christian faith?

Awww, I love the JWs.  I always invite them in to talk. I ask them all kinds of questions on how they know they have the right books in the Bible and what proof they have for "the Great Apostasy" and how they know their interpretation is correct.  I then ask them to follow up with me to discuss it further.  They usually end up backing out the door as fast as they can.

It's doing door to door evangelizing except they come to you.  So much more convenient.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »

Just tell her that you are "already" a Christian.

Then tell her you are an Orthodox Christian, which is the original Church founded by Christ, and unchanged for thousands of years.

Tell her that if she's willing to learn about Orthodoxy you would be more than willing to spend some time with her.

Cheesy

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:15:46 AM »

It's doing door to door evangelizing except they come to you.  So much more convenient.  Grin

Ha ha!  That's a good one!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »

I think you did the right thing.  They aren't Christians and it's pointless to argue with them, especially when they've brought along a little kid.  A few months back two adult JW's came by the house.  The gentleman had a pamphlet that said 'Doomsday!' and he asked me if I'd heard about Doomsday and what it meant.  I said, "Doomsday is when the world runs out of Cocoa Pebbles."  That pretty much ended the conversation.  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:17:10 AM »

You really said that?  I can only imagine the looks you got!

—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »

The concern I have about being abrupt with them is that, in their minds, it means they are being persecuted for their faith.  If you feel comfortable enough in your own faith to be respectful and engage them in honest dialogue, it is possible that something you say might strike a chord which will hopefully cause them to re-evaluate what they have been taught. I heard somewhere that while JWs have a very high conversion rate, they also have a very high de-conversion rate.  If you can encourage them on the right path, it could save them from jumping to the next looney cult that comes along.

Of course, if you are uncomfortable in debate or face to face disagreement, probably the best approach is to just politely decline and tell them you are busy.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:24:28 AM »

Just be nice to them. I don't think arguing really helps anything but being nice and well-behaving human being might teach to them that there can be life outside of the Watchtower.

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »

True story:

One weeknight evening a few years ago, two well-presented JW ladies came to my house. I politely told them that I was an Orthodox Christian, and that I was in a bit of a hurry, as I was getting ready to go to church.

"Oh? What's the occasion?"

"One of our special holy days. The Entry into the Temple of the Mother of God."

That completely discombobulated them. And I've rarely seen two women in heels move so fast.  laugh laugh
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »

Just tell her that you are "already" a Christian.

Then tell her you are an Orthodox Christian, which is the original Church founded by Christ, and unchanged for thousands of years.

Tell her that if she's willing to learn about Orthodoxy you would be more than willing to spend some time with her.

Cheesy

The JWs who show up at my door usually have a canned and very focused opening statement that makes it hard to quickly turn the conversation, so I find that I have to politely end the conversation. However, a few years ago, two young Mormons asked me if I was a Christian. I responded, "Yes, I'm an Orthodox Christian." They asked, "What's that?" Bingo! "Well, do come in and let me tell you!" They stayed over an hour and even came back a few days later! I didn't convert them - but I know they left with a different attitude.

So overall, I'm agreeing that if someone comes to my door. I'm the one who ought to direct the conversation and share my faith.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:29:05 AM by genesisone » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 10:29:47 AM »

So overall, I'm agreeing that if someone comes to my door. I'm the one who direct the conversation and share my faith.

A prime example of how JWs and other non-EOs should not be treated.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »

So overall, I'm agreeing that if someone comes to my door. I'm the one who direct the conversation and share my faith.

Why?

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »

Why?

Emphasis should not be on "my".

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »

And they were never heard from again.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »

Why?
But you are not disagreeing with sharing Christ and the Church with them?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:34:25 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »

Why?

Sometimes it is more Christian to keep our mouths shut. I don't think Bible-bashing is really of any use for some random JWs.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:45:52 AM by Alpo » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »

I tried that for a while. However, I just ended up arguing. That is when I remembered the quote, "You can never argue someone into the faith."

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »

Why?

Sometimes it is more Christian to keep our mouths shut.
And I agree. In directing the conversation, the best way to proceed may be to let the other person continue. I apologize if it appeared that I would choose to be uncharitable and unneighbourly. Your word "sometimes" is exactly correct. We must speak wisely to others in all circumstances.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »

I agree, but it is not even really necessary to put out your own perspective, just asking questions on what their basis is can be enough to provoke thought.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »

I inadvertently scared them off when they asked me if I had ever read any Watchtower literature before. I told them I had read some sitting in a jail once, and when I saw that they interpreted that to mean that I was some kind of dangerous felon, I clarified that I had been in the jail for something work related, but they did not believe me and hoofed it out of there fairly quickly. My experience since then has been that you can't visit a prison or jail without stumbling across their books, so I'm not sure why they were so surprised that someone who lives in a state that incarcerates more people than China would have read one of their magazines in a booking room.

My wife always invites them in for coffee after telling them that she’s made her conversion for this life and isn’t interested in changing her mind about it. They usually take her up on it and leave their literature behind, which aside from having those cheesy painted illustrations that are a dead giveaway for JW pamphlets make excellent fire starters.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »

I think they keep a record of the houses they visit with something like a "yes", "no", "maybe" checklist. If you express a lack of interest x number of times, they'll stop visiting you.

They do keep a record, but how long it will take them to give up depends on the local Kingdom Hall policies.

The one thing to say to stop the visits cold turkey is that you (or someone in your family) has been disfellowshipped. It's their version of shunning and they want nothing to do ever again with such a person or anyone related to them.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »

I wouldn't say you should feel obligated to interact with them in order to share the faith--it really depends on how well you know your faith, IMO.  I will usually open the door and talk to them, but will not usually invite them in.  I let them do their routine and something they say is usually enough for me to ask a question and then share the Orthodox perspective on whatever it is.  Most of the time, they're not interested in another perspective enough to stand at the door and discuss it--they'd rather come in and talk in my experience.  Once I had an extended discussion with a JW while in flight, which was pleasant: we talked about the Name of God, why they insist on Jehovah, etc.  Talking with them can be nice; you may not convert anyone, but sowing a seed is not a bad thing.  But be prepared, because it's not always so nice.   

I have a cousin who invited a JW at the door into her home and that started a series of "Bible studies".  Her mom is more Orthodox than she is, but even with her there to answer some of their challenges, they were stumped, so they asked me to meet with her.  She was a very pleasant lady in her late fifties or early sixties.  Somehow, we started talking about/debating the divinity of Christ, and I pointed out their peculiar (mis)translation of John 1.1, opened my Greek NT and began translating and exegeting on the spot (the Greek threw her off, I don't think they really look at anything other than their New World Translation), consulting other passages, etc.  I put the question to her "Is Jesus divine?" and she answered without any hesitation, with full confidence, and looking me straight in the eye, "Jesus is not God, he's God's son; Jehovah created him", and regarding the Holy Spirit, "The Spirit is a force, a power of God, it's not God or a person".  Now, I already knew that their "Christology" was basically Arian, that they rejected the divinity of the Spirit, and so on.  But, in all honesty and without any intention of exaggerating, something about the way she said those things hit me like a ton of bricks: I felt a chill, my stomach turned, and my aunt says my face became pale.  I've met plenty of people who were confused by Trinitarian theology or Christology, but this was different somehow, and I wasn't expecting to react in this way.  We finished our discussion, she left, and I became very quiet, I didn't feel like talking to anyone (though I did ask for some milk and a whole package of Oreos).  I didn't feel right for a few days after that.  I don't think the lady was evil, but it's the closest thing I've experienced to I Jn 4.1-3 in my life. 

You could always ask them to pray with you.  I did an extemporaneous prayer with them once and started invoking the Mother of God and various saints; that freaked them out.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »

when we were kids/teens, we used to train my friends dogs to go crazy barking/growling and scratching at the door when the jw would knock. we would just say jehovas witness and the dogs would go bonkers...they did not knock on his door very much Grin

but realy its best to not interact with them, its useless. they are there to convert you and are trained to do so. its not a urinating contest who can debunk the othere, leave you ego out of it?!

my mom is funny, she cant stand them caus they turned her sisterinlaw ages ago. my mom is abt 5ft and 80yr and tells them in a heavy greek accent "NO, i Christian, i no like you, go my prperty!". they dont bothere us at all and tey are around all the time

Profanity replaced with something more appropriate for the Public Forum  -PtA
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:39:30 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »

I recently had an older JW lady come to my house and she gave me a couple pamphlets which I kindly accepted, and after a couple questions she left. She did return once, but I didn't make it to the door in time and she was already driving off and hasn't been back yet.

Anyway, I think respect and courtesy is a must when dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses or any other door-to-door evangelists.

If you get rude or argumentative they will block you out and it will reinforce their views of being a persecuted people. The LDS missionaries I've spoken to often received terrible treatment in many places (slurs and insults, some real threats of violence, others even with police harassment), and while it hurts them personally it also works to wall themselves into their faith group against the world.

The absolute best way is to treat them with basic dignity, respect, and to kindly inform them about your faith group while learning about theirs and politely declining any requests you're not interested in. I've heard of LDS missionaries later converting because of such encounters to various religions, but the Jehovah's Witnesses might be a different story since I don't see them being quite as open to learning about other faith groups.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »

I recently had an older JW lady come to my house and she gave me a couple pamphlets which I kindly accepted, and after a couple questions she left. She did return once, but I didn't make it to the door in time and she was already driving off and hasn't been back yet.

Anyway, I think respect and courtesy is a must when dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses or any other door-to-door evangelists.

If you get rude or argumentative they will block you out and it will reinforce their views of being a persecuted people. The LDS missionaries I've spoken to often received terrible treatment in many places (slurs and insults, some real threats of violence, others even with police harassment), and while it hurts them personally it also works to wall themselves into their faith group against the world.

The absolute best way is to treat them with basic dignity, respect, and to kindly inform them about your faith group while learning about theirs and politely declining any requests you're not interested in. I've heard of LDS missionaries later converting because of such encounters to various religions, but the Jehovah's Witnesses might be a different story since I don't see them being quite as open to learning about other faith groups.
After an encounter with some LDS missionaries years ago, my mother-in-law realized that they really were just 19-year-old kids out in the world on their own, and invited them to dinner so they could find a little comfort during the course of their otherwise Spartan missionary work that often had them knocking on the doors of people who were overtly hostile to them.

They returned to her house later, and she fed them again, and they eventually became weekly visitors, never talking religion again after their initial visits. But sometimes true religion doesn’t require words.

No one converted to the other’s religion in the end, but I think the experience over those few months was a net positive for everyone involved.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »

After an encounter with some LDS missionaries years ago, my mother-in-law realized that they really were just 19-year-old kids out in the world on their own, and invited them to dinner so they could find a little comfort during the course of their otherwise Spartan missionary work that often had them knocking on the doors of people who were overtly hostile to them.

They returned to her house later, and she fed them again, and they eventually became weekly visitors, never talking religion again after their initial visits. But sometimes true religion doesn’t require words.

No one converted to the other’s religion in the end, but I think the experience over those few months was a net positive for everyone involved.

Absolutely.

You also touched on a good point, the LDS missionaries are average people and aren't limited to the overly pious and devout, but rather going on a mission is socially required of almost all males that come of age. To make matters worse, they have to pay for their own mission (the LDS church covers little to none of it, AFAIK), and they live on a measly monthly allowance of $~150 IIRC. That's why people like your mother-in-law are so important and undoubtably leave a lasting impact.

This is entirely different from JW's of course, who often evangelize in their own hometowns.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »

my usual response is "yo no habla ingles...Buenos dias..." as I shut the door.

Proverbs 22:7
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »

A few stopped by once and I was so happy. They were asking people if they could follow up the next weekend at a scheduled time.

I nearly burst with joy!

I made an appointment and I told them I would have coffee, danishes, and anything else they would like in case they were to find themselves hungry spending a day with me.

Next weekend . . .

Wait.
Wait.
Wait.
Wait.

They never showed.

I think being genuinely excited about having them stop by caused them to go back to the drawing board.

I am still waiting.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:37:28 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »

Did I already tell the story of how I stopped a couple Mormon kids from being stoned once?

Literally. True story.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 06:45:26 PM »

Did I already tell the story of how I stopped a couple Mormon kids from being stoned once?

Literally. True story.
you took away their pot?

Proverbs 22:7
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 06:53:02 PM »

A friend of mine was raised JW. From what I gather, some of the younger JW's, when they "go out on service", treat it primarily as a way to socialize with their JW buddies. Actually converting people is secondary.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »

My aunt living in Serbia said them "I'll go to your meeting under the condition that you join Oriflame [that's a company selling cosmetics that my aunt works in]". Probably they though she's a crazy woman and rapidly came out. I know it may sound stupid, but that's Serbia Tongue

As for me, I have regular visits of them once a year, during (Western) Great Lent, they always invite me to attend their service of Jesus' passions, and I invite them to our Orthodox services of the Good Friday, so even the fact that I'm an Orthodox is deterrent for them.

Only once it wasn't: during the last fest of Ascension, I was sitting on a bench in a park (quite close to my parish) listening to music so probably they though I'm a young woman not interested in religion at all (wearing a cross it's not necessarily a sing of faith). So, they started discussion with me, of course wondering (and then admiring) that I'm Orthodox, not Catholic as majority here etc. They started the discussion with the question very current (at least in Poland) about the Church involving into politics, so I quotated the words of Christ about the Caesar's drachma (and adding that Christ said it on Great Tuesday), so they said "that's great answer" and they notice I'm not typical young woman so they said "You probably wonder what happens after death, and in these leaflets we have answer to this and other questions", so I said that the day before we had ended the feast of Pascha and quotated the Paschal troparion. They were scarred, rapidly left me one of these leaflets and went away  Roll Eyes

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »

I don't get those very much. However, I once had two people come to my door advocating this "God the Mother" odd heretical Trinitarian view. Normally I would have destroyed them and went into hyperdox mode, but, they looked poor so I felt bad. I just gave them a donation, threw their pamphlets into the dumpster and then sent the missionaries to my irreligious, atheist grandparents' apartment as a joke  Cheesy

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »

The one thing to say to stop the visits cold turkey is that you (or someone in your family) has been disfellowshipped. It's their version of shunning and they want nothing to do ever again with such a person or anyone related to them.

This is not true. People can and have been able to rejoin the family household even without being an active JW before. Been there. Done that.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 11:52:39 PM »

Well, I work with a JW . And believe it or not I almost never talk about religious stuff at work, except if he provoked me. And then I said that I don't really care, it's all the same to me or we can't know or whatever i said on those few occasions. There is another guy here, among others-muslim, orthodox-atheist etc-who's a Baptist and who knows his bible as well as the JW. So that's the only one playing bible ping pong with him. But they can't stand each other whereas the JW kinda likes me. he even said once "he (meaning the one well versed in the bible) is way worse than you. ant least you don't say you believe the bible. " And the JW the only one I'm able to ask to switch work days or shifts etc.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 12:04:59 AM »

This is not true. People can and have been able to rejoin the family household even without being an active JW before. Been there. Done that.

I don't think a sweeping "true" or "not true" is possible in these cases. There are many cases where disfellowshipping/shunning is taken to extremes, but there are also cases where it isn't.

A friend of mine was raised JW and he came out as bisexual to his parents. They kept loving him nonetheless and didn't kick him out or anything, however it was kept a secret from the others at the Kingdom Hall for fear of being disfellowshipped themselves. I suppose they would've forcibly lost contact with their congregation if word had gone out and they were willing to take that risk.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 12:28:29 AM »

Somebody once came out of a grocery store, and was heading to his car with groceries.  2 Jehovah's witnesses walked up and asked if he would like to become a Jehovah's witness.  He replied, "I am afraid I cannot.  I did not see the accident."  Smiley
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 03:27:02 AM »

I don't get those very much. However, I once had two people come to my door advocating this "God the Mother" odd heretical Trinitarian view. Normally I would have destroyed them and went into hyperdox mode, but, they looked poor so I felt bad. I just gave them a donation, threw their pamphlets into the dumpster and then sent the missionaries to my irreligious, atheist grandparents' apartment as a joke  Cheesy

That reminds me of how one time someone asked my religion teacher what she thought of women not being eligible for the priesthood, and someone mentioned that at an all girl's high school, they say "creator, liberator and sustainer" instead of "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." Needless to say, weird stuff like that fueled my disdain for strange, Catholic practices like that. However, the story has a happy ending because I realised I was being asinine and the only reason I was being such a negative neophyte in regards to Catholicism but was more than happy to be an ardent High Church Anglicanophile (and thus a total hypocrite) was because of familial, personal issues.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 05:04:15 AM »

My mother always treats visitors nicely, as in, gives them respect. So, naturally, the Jahovah Witnesses come by every couple months.  Usually im theo nly one home and I have to listen to them, ask me things such as " Don't you feel there is too much suffering in the world?"

then whatever yo usay they respond:

"Well Jesus said here...." on and on, eventually finally they give you the pamplets.

I read slightly the pamplets, the drawings are always a little interesting (as in weird).

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »

My experiences with Jehovah's Witnesses have always been incredibly boring. As far as I remember, we have only had two visits, and it was pretty much the same dialogue both times:

"Hello, I wondered if you would like to hear about the one true faith".

"No thank you"

"Okay, what about some pamplets?"

"No thank you".

"Okay, buy"

We have a family of Jehovah's Witnesses in our village, but I have never talked with them. Out here, they generally follow a rule about not doing any missionary work in their own towns.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 10:07:39 AM »

True story:

One weeknight evening a few years ago, two well-presented JW ladies came to my house. I politely told them that I was an Orthodox Christian, and that I was in a bit of a hurry, as I was getting ready to go to church.

"Oh? What's the occasion?"

"One of our special holy days. The Entry into the Temple of the Mother of God."

That completely discombobulated them. And I've rarely seen two women in heels move so fast.  laugh laugh

Yes, my tactic is to thank them for the Watchtower and attempt to hand them an icon card: "Let me give you something in return!"
They nearly fall over backwards to get away from me.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »

Interestingly enough, the older JW lady I mentioned earlier came back today. I was busy, but my wife answered the door and they came back to bring me more reading material. Another couple issues of Watchtower and Awake!.

Just flipped through the latter, and apparently in Ireland 87% of Catholics want married priests and 77% want women priests. It looks like they include random news/facts like the SDA magazine does.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »

My neighbor is one and rents to them, too, so when I used to sit outside with my dogs enjoying the nice weather I'd get loaded down with their tracts.   These went immediately into the recycle bin... Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:06:48 AM by monkvasyl » Logged

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »

My neighbor is one and rents to them, too, so when I used to sit outside with my dogs enjoying the nice weather I'd get loaded down with their tracts.   These went immediately into the recycle bin... Cheesy

I always ask for a deal:  When they come to the door I would make a request that before we discuss anything inside that we are to venerate and say a prayer before my Icon of Our Lady of the Sign.   They politely refuse and tell me to have a good day and leave.  No door slamming and no feeling bad about not being friendly......simple heh?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:39:10 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: