OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 04:45:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swinging incense full circle! O  (Read 2706 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 11:42:19 PM »

Our deacons are quite timid, but when the priest gets ahold of it, watch out!  He could be like a martial artist with that thing.

Give them an old school censer that weighs a lot, then switch back to a lighter one. Problem solved!

We have one that has no bells that we use for lent, and it's old and weighs as much as a cannonball (well that's a little bit exaggerated). I know the Priests always commented on how heavy it was. But they still wanted to use it since it didn't have bells and it was Lent.

It's not hard to take the bells off, you know. Putting them back on is easy, too. laugh But I agree, some of those old censers are brutes. I had to repair one once, and finding chain that could stand up to the punishment that didn't look industrial was quite difficult.  Shocked Cheesy

The one we have with bells has the rings fused, so you can't take the bells off.

Easily fixed. Replace the fused rings with small spiral keyring-type rings. They're inexpensive, available in silverplate and goldplate finishes, and you can find them at bead shops and craft suppliers. The bells won't come off because of an unsoldered joint, and the rings are easily removed from the censer chain for Lent. I've done such modifications before.  Smiley
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 12:29:11 AM »

At my previous parish, the Priest there does this. As far as I know, he was taught by Archbishop Job and Priests in Chicago according to the Russian tradition, so that's where he probably gets it from.

http://youtu.be/PNmiA6zL6xc?t=2m50s

Somewhere, Archbishop Job is smiling as out of all the recent OCA Bishops he was admittedly Carpatho-Russian in background as are many, if not most of the parishes in the Diocese of the Midwest. The Greek style vestments and presence of the tetrapod  are hints to the origin of the depicted parish' s founders. That's neither here nor there though.

The need to remove the bells can easily be solved by buying a small bell-less censor from a Catholic religious good store or catalogue for use during Lent. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:31:44 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2013, 03:05:37 AM »

Our deacons are quite timid, but when the priest gets ahold of it, watch out!  He could be like a martial artist with that thing.

Give them an old school censer that weighs a lot, then switch back to a lighter one. Problem solved!

We have one that has no bells that we use for lent, and it's old and weighs as much as a cannonball (well that's a little bit exaggerated). I know the Priests always commented on how heavy it was. But they still wanted to use it since it didn't have bells and it was Lent.

It's not hard to take the bells off, you know. Putting them back on is easy, too. laugh But I agree, some of those old censers are brutes. I had to repair one once, and finding chain that could stand up to the punishment that didn't look industrial was quite difficult.  Shocked Cheesy

The one we have with bells has the rings fused, so you can't take the bells off.

Easily fixed. Replace the fused rings with small spiral keyring-type rings. They're inexpensive, available in silverplate and goldplate finishes, and you can find them at bead shops and craft suppliers. The bells won't come off because of an unsoldered joint, and the rings are easily removed from the censer chain for Lent. I've done such modifications before.  Smiley

The bells are fused to the rings which are fused to the chain.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 03:23:36 AM »

What is worse is the little timid half swings that many new deacons employ.. They need to man up

This always annoyed me...thank God I don't see it anymore.  You can't be timid with a censer and use it properly. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 04:19:35 AM »

An oldie but a goodie, from the time of the 2004 Athens Olympics:

Liturgical Olympics

Here are some of the top sports:

Russians are the favorites in the Censer Swing, a gymnastic sport of timing and grace, in which priests and deacons compete to make the most intricate formations with the smoke and movement of the censer. Points off for setting vestments or carpets on fire.

Georgians and Bulgarians are expected to be top competitors in the Long Note: a track and field event to see who can hold a note the longest. There are individual, team and relay heats. Points off for flatting.

Greeks are taking top odds in Speed Liturgy, another track and field event, in which priest, deacon and choir compete for the speediest liturgy. Judges will be listening carefully to see if anything is left out.

It's an open field in Altar Boy Synchronization, in which teams of altar servers move in synchronized motion with candles, icons, fans and censers. Nike and Adidas are in a bidding war over who will provide team shoes.

Americans are expected to be major contenders in Canon Tossing and the heavier-weight Anathema Hurling. There will be individual, team
and relay heats in this event as well, with points off for players hitting their own teams and fans.

Other events will include Bishop Vesting, High Note, Low Note and Countertenor, and Distance Sprinkling.

Excitement is building as Orthodox Olympians around the world prepare for these events.

It is obvious there is a source for this material. You need to cite your sources when the material is not your own creation. Please provide a source for this material.

I remember reading this in that one website

with that one russian priest

that says

IS OUTRAGE

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 04:38:57 AM »

The bells are fused to the rings which are fused to the chain.

Still fixable. Detach the bell ring at the solder joint on the chain by cutting through the joint with a separating disk (a thin, rigid abrasive carborundum disk), like the sort found in Dremel-type kits. Resolder the bell ring to close it (crimp the ring to close the gap first if necessary), then use a spiral ring to reattach the bell to the chain.

It would take me a few minutes per bell to do.   Smiley And much cheaper than buying a bell-less censer.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »

An oldie but a goodie, from the time of the 2004 Athens Olympics:

Liturgical Olympics

Here are some of the top sports:

Russians are the favorites in the Censer Swing, a gymnastic sport of timing and grace, in which priests and deacons compete to make the most intricate formations with the smoke and movement of the censer. Points off for setting vestments or carpets on fire.

Georgians and Bulgarians are expected to be top competitors in the Long Note: a track and field event to see who can hold a note the longest. There are individual, team and relay heats. Points off for flatting.

Greeks are taking top odds in Speed Liturgy, another track and field event, in which priest, deacon and choir compete for the speediest liturgy. Judges will be listening carefully to see if anything is left out.

It's an open field in Altar Boy Synchronization, in which teams of altar servers move in synchronized motion with candles, icons, fans and censers. Nike and Adidas are in a bidding war over who will provide team shoes.

Americans are expected to be major contenders in Canon Tossing and the heavier-weight Anathema Hurling. There will be individual, team
and relay heats in this event as well, with points off for players hitting their own teams and fans.

Other events will include Bishop Vesting, High Note, Low Note and Countertenor, and Distance Sprinkling.

Excitement is building as Orthodox Olympians around the world prepare for these events.

It is obvious there is a source for this material. You need to cite your sources when the material is not your own creation. Please provide a source for this material.

I received this as an email several years ago. I have no idea who is the original author or creator of it.

I think I read this in the Onion Dome years ago.

Yes, and Is Outrage! is the standard conclusion for every Onion Dome article.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:30:42 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »

This is a really good joke. In fact, the clergyman usually swings his censer when he censes the icon of the Saviour before entering the altar, and sometimes when turning around to cense the people, but not at any other times. Maybe he doesn't want to hit people with flying ash,eh?
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: