OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 06:11:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summerfest  (Read 2953 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« on: June 06, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »

Christ is risen!

I'm going to date myself with this question, but when was the last time there was an OCNet Summerfest? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:59:18 PM »

Truly He is Risen!

I have no clue what that is Mor, so I'm going to take an educated guess and say sometime before 2009 because that's when I joined.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:00:29 AM »

2004ish? There have been threads since then on trying to get one organized, but nothing ever seems to come together.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:00:43 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »

Do it! Do it! Do it!

And post loads of pictures!
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 02:01:45 PM »

2004ish? There have been threads since then on trying to get one organized, but nothing ever seems to come together.

That's too bad!  If I'm not mistaken, this summer will be the tenth anniversary of the first.  I certainly had fun! 

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »

Whoo-Hoo! dances  laugh
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 08:23:16 PM »

That's too bad!  If I'm not mistaken, this summer will be the tenth anniversary of the first.  I certainly had fun! 

We should!  It was FOREVER ago for sure. 

How would we organize? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »

Well, who is interested?  And where are they?  Maybe that would help us figure out if it's worth trying and where would be a good location.  In 2003 (I think), we were in the DC area, and that happened to work out well.  I don't recall having a set itinerary, we kinda made it up as we went along (and for Sunday liturgy, we didn't all go to the same place), but there was definitely a barbecue (a necessity!). 

That Summerfest was the first time I'd encountered both Trader Joe's and the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church (ROAC).  I've been moving "from glory to glory" ever since.  Tongue       

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »

We might have to have a couple in different locations. 

I'd love to host one in SF/NorthCal area, if anyone is interested. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
KostaC

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

Chicago River Dyeing, March 15th, 20

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 01:11:55 AM »

So, as guy who's been here for maybe a week or two, what exactly was this? From what I've read above, is this an event where somebody volunteers their house as a get-together amongst people from this forum, they have a barbecue, and then they post pictures?

I can dig it.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34

"Bendito seja o que vem em nome do Senhor, o Senhor é Deus e se manifestou a nós."
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 01:24:20 AM »

I'd be in depending on location
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:24:47 AM by Altar Server » Logged

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:21 AM »

From what I've read above, is this an event where somebody volunteers their house as a get-together amongst people from this forum, they have a barbecue, and then they post pictures?

Why anyone has to sacrifice himself?

Can't you hire some holiday resort, retreat centre, restaurant, whatever?
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »

From what I've read above, is this an event where somebody volunteers their house as a get-together amongst people from this forum, they have a barbecue, and then they post pictures?

yes, but depending on the amount of people, it's usually a LOT of money to rent out those kinds of places.  We'd all have to chip in, and then collect the money, etc. etc. etc. 

It's just easier if I invite everyone to my house.  I buy the food, I know where the bathroom is, and the backyard is free. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »

yes, but depending on the amount of people, it's usually a LOT of money to rent out those kinds of places.  We'd all have to chip in, and then collect the money, etc. etc. etc. 

It's just easier if I invite everyone to my house.  I buy the food, I know where the bathroom is, and the backyard is free. 

Yeah, renting out any sort of space at a restaurant would be pretty expensive, most likely even after everyone chips-in. At least at someone's house, all the group would be paying for is the food the host got himself and the gift each person brings.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34

"Bendito seja o que vem em nome do Senhor, o Senhor é Deus e se manifestou a nós."
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »

Yeah, renting out any sort of space at a restaurant would be pretty expensive, most likely even after everyone chips-in. At least at someone's house, all the group would be paying for is the food the host got himself and the gift each person brings.

Hmm. Here even a 15 participants would make it a possibility worth considering.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »

I volunteer to host it. Everyone should take a bag of chips wit them and get over here.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:09:55 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »

I just got rid of my car a month or two ago and am currently using the bus... so I'm probably limited to southwestern PA at this point (probably Pittsburgh, if enough people were interested).

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »

So i'm just going to throw this out there.  If anyone would like to get together July 20-31st (pre fasting!) in the San Francisco / Bay Area, just PM me & we'll set some dates up. 

I'd love to know by July 1st if at all possible. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 12:30:37 PM »

East Coast anyone?  Smiley

It need not be a full weekend, it could even be a day thing if enough of the participants are close enough to make that work. 

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

I think we could put together a DC meet-up.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 08:00:31 PM »

It's times like this I wish I weren't afraid to fly.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
David Leon

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 08:48:40 PM »

And I will volunteer to host an August meeting in south Mississippi about an hour and a half north of New Orleans.  Have plenty of guest house space as well as lots of acreage for camping.  And on a nice creek that will allow us to keep cool. Anyone?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »

Well, who is interested?  And where are they?  Maybe that would help us figure out if it's worth trying and where would be a good location.  In 2003 (I think), we were in the DC area, and that happened to work out well.  I don't recall having a set itinerary, we kinda made it up as we went along (and for Sunday liturgy, we didn't all go to the same place), but there was definitely a barbecue (a necessity!). 

That Summerfest was the first time I'd encountered both Trader Joe's and the Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church (ROAC).  I've been moving "from glory to glory" ever since.  Tongue       

Yes, it was in the DC/MD/VA area.  The main gathering was a picnic/cookout at Lake Needwood near Rockville.  There was conversation and food and some of the people went on the paddle-boats and kindly took our two elder children with them.  I recall that our daughter aged 7 picked a purple boat and reported that "Mr. Bobby" nearly ran aground.  Some of the people stayed at an apartment in Virginia and a group went to see the RC National Shrine on Sunday afternoon. 
Also we ended up with (I think it was) TomS's can-opener.... but we gave it back. 

Some of the attendees were Anastasios and his wife, Bobby, you, TomS, Nicholas Stanoshek , gentlemen named Tony and (Maybe) Clint and several others. 

(and that's from memory!  How's that?   Grin )

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
KostaC

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 09:06:34 PM »

So who's in the Chicago area that's willing to get down? While I cannot volunteer my own house as it is not mine to volunteer, I know a few lovely restaurants in Greektown where we could all convene.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »

I just got rid of my car a month or two ago and am currently using the bus... so I'm probably limited to southwestern PA at this point (probably Pittsburgh, if enough people were interested).
dude i can pick you up in my truck since im in the burgh.

i choose the music we listen to though.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 01:43:53 AM »

So who's in the Chicago area that's willing to get down? While I cannot volunteer my own house as it is not mine to volunteer, I know a few lovely restaurants in Greektown where we could all convene.
Chicago's close enough! I need an excuse to visit anyway Smiley

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 07:43:45 PM »

It's times like this I wish I weren't afraid to fly.  Smiley

WOW!  I never knew that about you!  huh...fun fact! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 07:44:47 PM »

Yes, it was in the DC/MD/VA area.  The main gathering was a picnic/cookout at Lake Needwood near Rockville.  There was conversation and food and some of the people went on the paddle-boats and kindly took our two elder children with them.  I recall that our daughter aged 7 picked a purple boat and reported that "Mr. Bobby" nearly ran aground.  Some of the people stayed at an apartment in Virginia and a group went to see the RC National Shrine on Sunday afternoon. 
Also we ended up with (I think it was) TomS's can-opener.... but we gave it back. 

Some of the attendees were Anastasios and his wife, Bobby, you, TomS, Nicholas Stanoshek , gentlemen named Tony and (Maybe) Clint and several others. 

(and that's from memory!  How's that?   Grin )

hold up hold up.  you actually MET the famous TomS?!?!?!?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »

You guys should do it!  There's a strong contingent from Chi-town including Ialmisry.  He's usually good for this stuff, but he may not be reading this. make sure to PM him! 

If you guys want to get together again in October, we could try to make something happen.  I usually go to Chi-town for my Slava at the end of October. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »

Oh yes.  Good times! 

(Where is he?)

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »

Oh yes.  Good times! 

(Where is he?)

Unfortunately he was banned years ago. He came back for a while with a clever disguise, calling himself "SmoT," but through some sophisticated detective work the mods caught on to him and banned him again.  Undecided Cool

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »

Unfortunately he was banned years ago. He came back for a while with a clever disguise, calling himself "SmoT," but through some sophisticated detective work the mods caught on to him and banned him again.  Undecided Cool

Say it ain't so!!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »

Alas...

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 12:02:11 AM »

Ill have a few beers with you in Chi-town if you decide to assemble here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:05:07 AM by augustin717 » Logged
KostaC

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 12:20:29 AM »

You guys should do it!  There's a strong contingent from Chi-town including Ialmisry.  He's usually good for this stuff, but he may not be reading this. make sure to PM him! 

If you guys want to get together again in October, we could try to make something happen.  I usually go to Chi-town for my Slava at the end of October. 

So it's not just me that thinks that every fifth person around these parts is from Chicago, then!

Regrettably, by late August, I'll be in D.C. I suppose if anyone from D.C. is interested in an Autumnfest, the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas has its festival in September, for what it's worth.

Ill have a few beers with you in Chi-town if you decide to assemble here.

I'd be willing to plan it, but I don't know if I'm qualified because I've only been here for about two weeks now.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »

I would half consider going to Chicago.  Not exactly close to Omaha, but a lot closer than SF or DC.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »

My first post in about 7 years...

I'm in for an east coast meet-up. 
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »

Whoa, Bobby ἀνέστη!

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

^ & ^

Between the two of you, it's OC.net circa 2002. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »

Wow!  Welcome back!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »

Capt!  How have you been? It's good to read your words again.  Smiley

So!  Shall we try to arrange something in the MD/DC/VA area?

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 06:47:20 PM »

Apologies for the slow reply.  I don't check the site much anymore.

Before the summer ends, I would be open to a meet-up somewhere in between NC&NY.  I am also happy to coordinate such an event.

At the risk of being signed up for who knows what, I will post my email address which all interested parties can email me to indicate their interest in an east coast meet-up.

requick at gmail dot com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 04:01:42 PM »

I'm willing to attend a Pittsburgh-area gathering (or, frankly, anywhere in W PA or E/NE OH), but do not have the time to organize it.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »

Before the summer ends, I would be open to a meet-up somewhere in between NC&NY.  I am also happy to coordinate such an event.

At the risk of being signed up for who knows what, I will post my email address which all interested parties can email me to indicate their interest in an east coast meet-up.

requick at gmail dot com

Well, Maryland/DC is definitely somewhere between NC and NY.  Grin  What marks the end of summer for you, Cap't?  The start of school?

KostaC

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »

requick at gmail dot com

Well, Maryland/DC is definitely somewhere between NC and NY.  Grin  What marks the end of summer for you, Cap't?  The start of school?

My apologies for sounding like a primadonna, but I'd like to possibly propose a D.C. Autumnfest, as Saint Nicholas' Cathedral has its festival some time in September, and I'd like to attend to support my new church out east.

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2013, 08:29:43 AM »

FYI, here are the ghosts of Summerfest past:

My diary of Summerfest: http://nstanosheck.blogspot.com/2003/08/ocnet-summer-fest-2003.html

OCnet updates during Summer fest: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/newboard/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1686

It was a really good time!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags: SummerFest 
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: