OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:06:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google reader replacement  (Read 402 times) Average Rating: 0
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« on: June 06, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »

As some of you might know, as of July 1st google reader will no longer exist...so in last few weeks if not months I was looking for a replacement.  There are quite few options from which I chose www.theoldreader.com
I like using RSS for some website because it saves me time.  At first "theoldreader" seemed simple, too simple...I had trouble adding folders and such...However, I was able to transfer the database from google reader to theoldreader in matter of minutes.

ps. I am not working for them or anything, but figured some of you might find it useful. Wink
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:39:02 PM by Putnik Namernik » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:22:57 PM »

Can you give a good pitch for RSS? I quit messing with it a long time ago. Maybe I am missing out on something.

And really Google Reader's fate is a great reason among many to start getting away from Google's poducts.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:23:13 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »

well i never used it personally. i hope google books is around for a long while.

good quote here:

"I don't want to read what Google thinks I want to read. I want to read what I want to read. I used Google Reader as a way to check on all the sites I read without having to bookmark and visit every single one. I kept up with webcomics. And it did all that by me just clicking a button and subscribing, not by having to "teach" it and wading through recommendations I wasn't really interested in."

Why Google Reader Really Got the Axe
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/06/why-google-reader-got-the-ax/

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:56:28 PM »

Can you give a good pitch for RSS? I quit messing with it a long time ago. Maybe I am missing out on something.

And really Google Reader's fate is a great reason among many to start getting away from Google's poducts.

It helps me with being informed and not having to remember and type every single website.  It saves me time. I can quickly glance over the titles and mark them all as read, and read in more detail the ones that interest me.  It all depends on your personal agenda: what do you want to get out of web surfing and how much time you have. I still have not found at a way to email a text from "theoldreader" as I was able to do so with google.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: