OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:15:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Married men ordained as Byzantine Catholic Priests?  (Read 2593 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« on: June 04, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »

Does anyone know of any married men who are or will be ordained as Byzantine Catholic Priests in North America? I don't want specific names or locations, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble with Rome. However, I know of one such person, and I am curious to know if this phenomenon is spreading.

Note: Personally, I don't think Rome has any business telling the Byzantine Churches whether or not they can ordain married men, so I hope that Byzantine Catholics are returning to their traditional practice in this matter. 

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »

Does anyone know of any married men who are or will be ordained as Byzantine Catholic Priests in North America? I don't want specific names or locations, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble with Rome. However, I know of one such person, and I am curious to know if this phenomenon is spreading.

Note: Personally, I don't think Rome has any business telling the Byzantine Churches whether or not they can ordain married men, so I hope that Byzantine Catholics are returning to their traditional practice in this matter. 

Yes.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »

Yes.

When did Rome lift this restriction?  I know that in the old world they are allowed to be ordained but here is a differenct matter...
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »

Yes.

When did Rome lift this restriction?  I know that in the old world they are allowed to be ordained but here is a differenct matter...

From what I understand it's technically still in place but some Byzantine rite bishops in America are just ignoring it, kind of an ecclesiastical "come at me, bro!"

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »

Sorry to derail the thread but I find this kind of suprising considering the universal jurisdiction and all that stuff. So you think that Eastern Catholics have right to disobey the pope?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »

...kind of an ecclesiastical "come at me, bro!"

Smiley

Sorry to derail the thread but I find this kind of suprising considering the universal jurisdiction and all that stuff. So you think that Eastern Catholics have right to disobey the pope?

Why should they obey an illegitimate command?  We wouldn't. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »

I wasn't suggesting they should. I asked a question.

Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »

Perhaps because they are following the original rules as defined in the treaties that were signed when the Byzantine/Greek Catholics entered into union with Rome?   There was a treaty signed at Uzhorod and everything was just fine until they started immigrating to America and upset the Roman Catholics with their married clergy.  It may not be they are disobeying the Pope but following the conditions signed in a legal document that said they had the right to  their traditions and to their married clergy.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »

He is supposed to be an universal bishop etc.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »

I wasn't suggesting they should. I asked a question.

I know, forgive me...mine was a rhetorical question. 

I don't know if Catholics even define the Pope as a "universal bishop".  Certainly, what they teach on universal, ordinary, immediate jurisdiction leads to that conclusion, but I think they still shy away from such an idea for the sake of what they teach about the episcopate in general.  Whatever the case, it doesn't change my point: no one need obey an illegitimate command, no matter how senior-ranking the authority is.  It's not like the Pope is a god.*

*It's not unheard of for some Indian Catholics to refer to the Pope as something which roughly translates into English as "our visible God on earth".  I've certainly heard it more than I'm comfortable admitting.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »

no one need obey an illegitimate command, no matter how senior-ranking the authority is. 

I wholeheartedly agree with that but I'm an Orthodox and not Catholic. It's nice that Papist is taking Orthodox approach on this but I wonder how he reconciles the idea with Vatican I.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »

It would be interesting to hear his take, yes.  But I'm not sure even Catholics would interpret Vatican I to mean that the Pope can command something illegitimate and expect obedience because of his authority (even without Vatican II to "balance" things out).  I don't think Vatican I says a square is a circle when the Pope says so because the Pope says so.  It may say a lot of outrageous stuff, but surely even that council has limits.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »

Yes the Pope has a universal jursidiction over the whole Church, but I don't think that this means the Pope can or should command anything he wants. If he commanded Catholics to start punching eachother in the face, we could say, "That's nice Holy Father, but no." His authority simply doesn't extend to that area. In an analogous way, I don't think that the Pope can or should be able to abolish legitimate Byzantine traditions. Well, to be honest, I don't know if this a matter of "can" or "should". In either case, I would like to see the Byzantine Churches to be truly Byzantine.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »

I don't know of any Catholic document that refers to the Holy Father as "universal bishop." Can you point one out?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »

Perhaps because they are following the original rules as defined in the treaties that were signed when the Byzantine/Greek Catholics entered into union with Rome?   There was a treaty signed at Uzhorod and everything was just fine until they started immigrating to America and upset the Roman Catholics with their married clergy.  It may not be they are disobeying the Pope but following the conditions signed in a legal document that said they had the right to  their traditions and to their married clergy.
Perhaps. I don't know of anyone ever stating that the conditions of the unions are now void.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »

Whatever the case, it doesn't change my point: no one need obey an illegitimate command, no matter how senior-ranking the authority is.  It's not like the Pope is a god. 
I think this is the point I am trying to make. Thanks. Smiley

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »

I think the Byzantines are receiving conflicting messages. On the one hand the Second Vatican Council calls on Eastern Catholics to return to their roots. On the other hand, there is a Vatican policy in place about not ordaining married clergy in North America. One might argue that the command of what Catholics consider an Ecumenical Council, carries more weight than some Vatican pastoral policy. But that's just me.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »

I don't know of any Catholic document that refers to the Holy Father as "universal bishop." Can you point one out?

Pastor aeternus, chapter 3, point 2.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 03:22:34 PM »

Now that's an eye opener..........pretty much sums it up...
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »

Now that's an eye opener..........pretty much sums it up...

http://www.ewtn.com/library/councils/v1.htm#6

Pastor Aeternus 3.2 summarizes what we all know to be the Roman understanding of papal supremacy.  But if you go on to read 3.5 (just three paragraphs down), you'll see that even the Catholics don't view the Pope as a "universal bishop" (they don't use the term, even if we say that's basically what it amounts to), or that it takes away in any fundamental way from the rights of Bishops over their particular flocks, etc.  In other words, it's a bit more complex than our Orthodox stereotypes.  Now, there's plenty that is legitimately objectionable, but why stick with a stereotype? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »

A friend of mine's father was ordained to serve the Melkites 6 years ago, I believe, but he had to go to Haifa as it was not permitted for him to be brought into priestly orders in the RCC in the US. Your mileage may vary.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »

Papal supremacy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 05:16:53 PM »

A friend of mine's father was ordained to serve the Melkites 6 years ago, I believe, but he had to go to Haifa as it was not permitted for him to be brought into priestly orders in the RCC in the US. Your mileage may vary.

In Christ,
Andrew

I think all of the Melkite Catholic Married Priests in the USA were ordained abroad.
All the married Melkite Priests I have met were ordained in the Middle East.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »

I think all of the Melkite Catholic Married Priests in the USA were ordained abroad.

I've always heard from Catholics that the 20th century saw a corrective to enforcing celibacy on American priests that weren't Latin?
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »

Yes.

Canonically speaking Cum Data Fuerit was issued in 1929,and was addressed to the Greek Catolic Exarchates of Philadelphia (Ukranian) and Pittsburgh (Rusyn) and was to be valid for ten years.  It was renewed in 1940 and again in 1950.  It was not renewed in 1960, so became a dead letter.  By that time however, the Greek Catholic bishops in the US had no intention of ordaining married candidates. Then came Vatican II and its call for Eastern Catholic Churches to restore their traditions.  The Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches was promulgated in 1990, which contains no restrictions.  My Metropolia promulgated its complimentary particular law in 1999, in which provision is made for ordaining married candidates with approval from Rome.  The Ukrainians and Melkites declared their intention to ordain married men long before the CCEO and have been ordaining married candidates for the diaspora for some time.  They started by ordaining them in Europe/Middle East and bringing them back, and then began ordaining some here in the late 1980s.  In my own Metropolia in 2006 a married deacon was ordained to the presbyterate in the Eparchy of Parma, the first since 1929.  Currently several married priests serve in the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh and Eparchy of Parma.

Now all that said, some Latin Catholic bishops (including those in the Curia) continue to claim the ban is still in force and this was asserted in 2008 with the caveat that dispensations could be granted if the Latin Episcopal Conference of the territory agreed.  How this is possible since the bans were region and particular church specific and were only valid for specified periods of time and needed renewing I don't know.  I do know the various Greek Catholic Churches have married priests and will continue to have them.  Rome likes to keep quiet about so that they don't have to deal with calls for allowance of married priests in general itself.  

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

Fr Andre St Germain was ordained in the US.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »

Very good article:

http://orthocath.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/a_quiet_revolution.pdf

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »

I guess I never considered before the fact that the first Ukrainian Catholic priest to be ordained in this country, since 1929, was ordained in the Eparchy of Saint Josaphat.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »

Why would any reasonably informed Roman Catholic oppose the idea of the Eastern Catholics ordaining married men to the priesthood?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »

Why would any reasonably informed Roman Catholic oppose the idea of the Eastern Catholics ordaining married men to the priesthood?

Don't ask me, I'm still trying to figure out why any reasonably informed Catholic would oppose married priests, period.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 03:37:08 PM »

By "reasonably informed Roman Catholic", do you mean someone who actually is aware that there is an Eastern Catholic Church?  If so, and their knowledge extended beyond just that basic awareness, there's every chance that, their own RC prejudices aside, they would not oppose the ordination of married men--at least to the Eastern Catholic Church.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »

Don't ask me, I'm still trying to figure out why any reasonably informed Catholic would oppose married priests, period.

Even reasonably informed Catholics will have blind spots and prejudices.   For some folks, "tradition" is very important.  Not a great answer, but the only one I can come up with  Wink.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »

I find it quite logical. If a Roman Catholic believes that mandatory celibacy is nice why wouldn't he/she think it's nice for Eastern Catholic priests too?

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »

By "reasonably informed Roman Catholic", do you mean someone who actually is aware that there is an Eastern Catholic Church?  If so, and their knowledge extended beyond just that basic awareness, there's every chance that, their own RC prejudices aside, they would not oppose the ordination of married men--at least to the Eastern Catholic Church.

By "reasonably informed Roman Catholic", do you mean someone who actually is aware that there is an Eastern Catholic Church?  I could not help but picture in my mind a Catholic with a 1000 yard stare when asked the question: "Are you aware of the Eastern Catholic Church?"  Roll Eyes
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »

I find it quite logical. If a Roman Catholic believes that mandatory celibacy is nice why wouldn't he/she think it's nice for Eastern Catholic priests too?

Moral relativism!  Grin

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »

By "reasonably informed Roman Catholic", do you mean someone who actually is aware that there is an Eastern Catholic Church?  If so, and their knowledge extended beyond just that basic awareness, there's every chance that, their own RC prejudices aside, they would not oppose the ordination of married men--at least to the Eastern Catholic Church.

Yes, I think you're right. Especially if they consider that the Union of Brest would surely have been a tiny, insignificant event ... if Rome had insisted on priestly celibacy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:24:12 PM by Peter J » Logged

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

Honestly I'd think priestly celibacy was a discipline sent by God himself with how highly praised it is by some Latin Riters that I've seen. So I wonder what you are asking too, since it seems they're constantly implying the Eastern practice to be inferior while nonetheless allowing it for the sake of tradition.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 10:26:23 PM »

A timely topic as celibacy in the Eastern Catholic North American diaspora was a major subject of the summer meeting of the North American Catholic Orthodox Dialogue held this week at SVS. Apparently no hints regarding the possible ordination of a married candidate for the priesthood in the BCC/Pittsburgh came up.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 03:14:36 AM »

A timely topic as celibacy in the Eastern Catholic North American diaspora was a major subject of the summer meeting of the North American Catholic Orthodox Dialogue held this week at SVS. Apparently no hints regarding the possible ordination of a married candidate for the priesthood in the BCC/Pittsburgh came up.

where can we hear more about these diologues

or are they just for those who are there? (i mean, are there ever transcripts or videos) because they sound interesting!! unless they are just speeches... that is no fun.. ;P

EDIT

also, what is SVS sorry not good with those (reminds me when people kept saying HAH Bartholomew. I do not understand, HAHAHA Bartholomew?.... ohhhh His All Holiness!!!)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:17:30 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2013, 03:16:00 AM »

and of course, I will sympathise with catholics in that I would understand that they feel celibacy for priests is a good thing. They probably view it the same way one might view celibacy of bishops

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2013, 07:51:57 AM »

also, what is SVS sorry not good with those (reminds me when people kept saying HAH Bartholomew. I do not understand, HAHAHA Bartholomew?.... ohhhh His All Holiness!!!)

Saint Vladimir's Seminary.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »

Sorry about the abbreviation. Tablet laziness....  

The North American Orthodox Bishops Episcopal Assembly/(SCOBA) has a link to the Dialouge's published papers, as does the US Catholic Bishops Conference.(USCCB)  This week's proceedings aren't up yet.

http://www.scoba.us/resources/orthodox-catholic.html

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/ecumenical-and-interreligious/ecumenical/orthodox/orthodox-dialogue-documents.cfm

A download link to one of the Orthodox presenter' s  paper on celibacy is in this synopsis.The paper was previously presented in Rome last fall:
http://acrod.org/news/releases/rome-conference

OCA Metropolitan Tikhon, GOA's Fr. Tom FitzGerald and ACROD' s Fr. James Dutko will be presenters at this months Orientale Lumen Conference in Washington. "Visions of a United church" is the theme. http://olconference.com/OL_FutCon_OL_XVII.html

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:39:38 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »

Any hint as to what they are discussing?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 09:30:03 AM »

The Orthodox have used the example of the Latin church's views on celibacy, in particular, the energetic suppression in the 20th century of the venerable Eastern tradition of married clergy, as a teaching tool. The Roman representatives are well versed theologically, but really have been unaware of how real world issues and history can be "church dividing" issues. The case history of the Greek Catholic experience in America has been even more unknown to Roman Catholics than to most Orthodox, and it has been a true eye-opener to many of them. To them, celibacy in the theoretical realm is a minor issue, to us - the inability of Rome to realize for nearly a century just how the East viewed the issue of enforced celibacy and the breach of the spirit of a fundamental element of the post Florence unions of Brest and Ungvar as an example of Rome's inner attitude. In other words, a "church dividing" issue. (On finishing his presentation, Fr. James received a standing ovation from the group.  There is indeed truth in the teaching about the plank in one's eye!)
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 12:52:27 PM »

The Orthodox have used the example of the Latin church's views on celibacy, in particular, the energetic suppression in the 20th century of the venerable Eastern tradition of married clergy, as a teaching tool. The Roman representatives are well versed theologically, but really have been unaware of how real world issues and history can be "church dividing" issues. The case history of the Greek Catholic experience in America has been even more unknown to Roman Catholics than to most Orthodox, and it has been a true eye-opener to many of them. To them, celibacy in the theoretical realm is a minor issue, to us - the inability of Rome to realize for nearly a century just how the East viewed the issue of enforced celibacy and the breach of the spirit of a fundamental element of the post Florence unions of Brest and Ungvar as an example of Rome's inner attitude. In other words, a "church dividing" issue. (On finishing his presentation, Fr. James received a standing ovation from the group.  There is indeed truth in the teaching about the plank in one's eye!)

I wonder if there is an underlying reason for Roman Catholics being ignorant of the Eastern Catholic Church?  I can remember in Apologetics we only touched briefly on the Eastern church and then there was nothing more said on the subject.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: