OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 01:57:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heaven and Hell: The View of the Early Church  (Read 880 times) Average Rating: 0
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« on: June 04, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »

I am currently listening to the first of these three lectures/discussions, and finding it to be fascinating and educational. Great speaker (Dr. Clark Carlton). Perhaps some other posters here will find it beneficial, too.

http://www.ancientfaith.com/specials/heaven_and_hell_the_view_of_the_early_church

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »

Having finished listening to the first hour-long session, I can now sincerely and heartily recommend it. Insightful! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:30:26 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »

I just began listening as well, almost through the first session. Good stuff so far.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »

I listened to it recently... disagreed with some of his points, but that's to be expected. Overall I was pleasantly surprised.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: