OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 05:42:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Omen Movies  (Read 257 times) Average Rating: 0
pious1

Faith: Orthodox

« on: June 04, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »

I figured I would start a thread regarding one of my favorite religious horror movies. Has anyone seen the original Omen Trilogy about the anti-christ? I saw this when I was about 10 and it scared the living heck out me and got me into reading the Book of Revelation and researching Christian beliefs about the anti-christ and end of days. I know the movie by today's standards is a bit hokey, but what let heck, if anyone has thoughts on it and the idea of how the anti-christ will rise, lets get it going.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »

I've only seen the first one, and that was several years ago, so I don't remember much. I did think it was well done, but for sheer daylight-scaring power, you can't beat Rosemary's Baby.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »

I believe the book of Revelations is mainly about revealing the spiritual reality of the world, not the end of the world (or at least, it's end in the sense of "where the material world ends, the spiritual world begins").

The book of Revelation, different from an icon, is a window, not only to heaven, but to *all* the spiritual reality in and around us.

In this book, prophecies are a consequence of the fact that the material world reflects the spiritual. So the Anti-Christ there is a type that has been manifest in millions of men and women. In some, it was much clearer and probably, at some point, we will have an individual who will be the perfect manifestation of that type. When and how that will happen, not even the Son knows. But, being a demonic figure, he will be about seduction, power and persecution of Christians, both through cooptation (seduction) and outright destruction (power).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:24:10 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »

Much lighter, but part of my adolescence is the movie "The Prophecy" or "God's Army" with Christopher Walken as a fallen archangel Gabriel leading a new rebellion and Viggo Mortsen as Lucifer and Elias Koteas as the seminarian turned cop who is caught up in the middle of this new war.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:23:30 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: