OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 09:05:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Posted communion time  (Read 634 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: June 04, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »

While at a large scooter rally this weekend, I went to liturgy at the local Orthodox church and noticed that they also had posted "communion time" on the board outside after the start time for the DL.

What is the rationale for this practice?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »

Oh dear.

Is it so folks know just when to scoot in to get in line for Communion?

That's terrible.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:48:22 AM »

While at a large scooter rally this weekend, I went to liturgy at the local Orthodox church and noticed that they also had posted "communion time" on the board outside after the start time for the DL.

It is a very bad pastoral practice that lets people know they need to be at church by the "communion time" if they want to receive. Without even saying the ethnic background I have my suspicions on where the people are from. Bad, bad, bad!

Joseph
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »

Would have loved to see a pic of this.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:33:41 PM »

I do not comment since two weeks ago I arrived just before the anaphora.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »

Well, everyone is late "once in a while"...but, to post it, gives people permission to always be late.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:48:31 PM »

I would like it very much if they posted this, but, have it be the time Liturgy starts

SCREW BON JOVI!
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »

isn't it so you know how long to fast for?

we need to fast 6 (or 9, depending on church) hours before Holy Communion, so if we know when it was, we can enjoy that last glass of water 6 hours before.

in afternoon coptic liturgies, the times are often advertised like: 'liturgy 7-9pm', where 9pm is the Communion time, not the finish time.
at least, i hope it's not to deliberately upset the natives, who love to know when things finish and plan their arrival at home (a very non egyptian concept)!

so people will fast from 12 noon (we do 9 hours). of course there are a few who are really capable of fasting that will fast from midnight, but that is not the majority of us!
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 05:43:29 PM »

In our parish some families with small children usually arrive at the end of the sermon (about one hour into the service) on Sundays. Little ones can get pretty worked up if they have to wait too long for Communion/are thirsty and so on. Also, if someone is late for "blessed reasons", the rule of thumb is that, if they arrive before the Cheroubikon, they can receive.     
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »

Please don't blame the children for being late to church.  Our parish has church school before services and almost all of our children attend.  If children get too antsy or start to cry, the parents just take the child/children out until they calm down or bring them back in.  I've never been at a parish where the parents come to church after the sermon and expected to receive.  In fact, one priest I know nipped all that in the bud at his parish by announcing that those who came in after the sermon were not to approach the chalice and that he knew exactly who was there for the sermon (the church would hardly have any people there for the sermon but would be absolutely packed by communion time.  People started showing up on time since they wanted to be able to receive.

Also, as far as posting the times so that people will know when to fast, as far as I know, that would apply to pre-sanctified or night liturgies.  Otherwise, you just fast from midnight until you receive communion.  When there are pre-sanctified or evening liturgies, you just eat a light lunch and then not eat anymore until after communion. 
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 07:22:48 PM »

I think people are missing the real problem here.

Scooter rally?

What's next? A roller skate symposium?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »

Scooter rally?

not those kind of scooters

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »

Please don't blame the children for being late to church. 

It's not the children's fault, nor their parents'. Liturgy in our parish usually lasts 3 hours or more on Sundays and it can begin at 10 or 10:30 (depending on how long the preparation of the Gifts takes). There's the sermon and, while the priests commune, a reading from the Fathers. These can vary in length.

Then there's all sorts of children: some literally grew up in Church, attending even midnight Liturgies since they were babies and never once disturbing a service. Others not so. They can be taken out, but since the church is quite small and usually packed with people on Sundays and feasts, they cannot just slip out without disturbing.     
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 09:10:09 PM »

In our parish, things are supposed to start happening at 9:15am, but that's only if the reader shows up on time.

I like to show up at Church before the hours start (usually around 9.)  greeting and kissing the babushkim takes a while, you know!

Our rule of thumb is that if you're in Church to hear the Gospel reading, you can receive Holy Communion.  Until that time, people trickle in little by little.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 10:12:02 PM »

Scooter rally?

Oh man, if it were a real symposium (drinking party) that would be awesome.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »

I wish Liturgy began earlier.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »

Scooter rally?

Vintage scooters (and some late model vintage styled bikes) as in metal bodied, manual transmission Vespas, Lambrettas, Cushmans, Allstates, etc.  Loads of fun.  We had over 230 registered this year and the group ride had about 70 bikes participating.  Great weather, too, for once. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »

Scooter rally?

Oh man, if it were a real symposium (drinking party) that would be awesome.

We called it 6th grade.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »

Vintage scooters (and some late model vintage styled bikes) as in metal bodied, manual transmission Vespas, Lambrettas, Cushmans, Allstates, etc.  Loads of fun.  We had over 230 registered this year and the group ride had about 70 bikes participating.  Great weather, too, for once. 

Reminds me of the time I made a random decision to spend a weekend in Erie, PA.  I didn't plan it at all, I was just trying to spend some time by the lake, visit a vineyard, etc.  When I drove in, I found the entire city taken over by a huge motorcycle rally.  It was the loudest, craziest event I've ever attended (I live a rather boring life by most NYers' standards), with the most "white diversity" I've ever experienced...more fun than I'd imagined going in.  Of course, for Sunday Liturgy I attended the Russian Orthodox Old Rite parish there.  An oddly put together weekend.  But the lake and vineyards were nice.  Not that this had anything to do with the original topic at all.     

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 10:55:18 PM »

It is a very bad pastoral practice that lets people know they need to be at church by the "communion time" if they want to receive. Without even saying the ethnic background I have my suspicions on where the people are from. Bad, bad, bad!

Maybe it's a cool gimmick. Get people to come at communion time and then, once they're in through the door expecting one thing, the priest can give them a sermon, possibly quoting St. John the Baptist. "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee the wrath to come?" It's what I imagine some Orthodox priests would love to say on Pascha in their sermons, except that the people they might preach to left after the first paschal troparion.

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 03:48:09 AM »

Maybe it's a cool gimmick. Get people to come at communion time and then, once they're in through the door expecting one thing, the priest can give them a sermon, possibly quoting St. John the Baptist. "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee the wrath to come?" It's what I imagine some Orthodox priests would love to say on Pascha in their sermons, except that the people they might preach to left after the first paschal troparion.

I spent a good minute visualising such a scenario... imagine the look on their faces... thank you for the post ;P

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 03:54:19 AM »

did you attend the service?

if so, how was it?

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: