Author Topic: Conversion to Orthodoxy  (Read 863 times)

Offline drewmeister2

• Elder
  • Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY
Conversion to Orthodoxy
« on: January 23, 2005, 04:49:33 PM »
I am seriously looking into being Greek Orthodox.  But my family is pretty hardcore Catholic.  How do I tell them I really want to convert to Orthodoxy?  By the way, Im only 16, so Im not on my own yet.  Thanks for any advice! 
Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Re: Conversion to Orthodoxy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 05:51:54 PM »
Most important thing to do is start living an Orthodox life: moderate fasting to start, praying Compline* and morning prayers (*or evening prayers in the Russian recension of the Orthodox Church) every day, and attending Orthodox liturgy.  They will start to notice, and ask questions.  If they are hostile you will response charitably "I feel the Spirit is leading me to this..." or other such non-confrontational responses.  If they are genuinely curious you will try to explain things in more detail.  If they seem interested, invite them to liturgy. Don't rock the boat in the beginning.

Anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.