OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 01:04:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marital issues between Orthodox/Heterodox  (Read 462 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: June 03, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »

Once in a while, someone will post a question on this forum about marrying someone of a different religion or outlook on life.  I went back and read a few of them and began to wonder about a scenario sort of in the same vein.   Let's say two people were married in the EOC, yet only one of them is an EOC while the other being a Heterodox Christian.  Let's say they went to pre-marital classes with the priest and he gave the blessing.  Now what if the Heterodox Christian decided (after the marriage of course) that he/she wasn't all that interested in becoming Orthodox while their Orthodox spouse had simultaneously decided to genuinely live an Orthodox life (attending as many services as possible and becoming more involved in the Church life)?  I couldn't locate the verse(s) where Christ says that if you love your family more than Him, you don't really love Him; let the dead bury their own;...  At the same time, Christ gave only one reason for divorce which is infidelity (cheating on one's spouse).  

It seems that such a marriage would be rocky from the start because instead of growing together, you have two people growing apart?  And if one of the spouses is wanting to become closer to Christ while the other isn't, when would divorce be permissible?  

P.S. I should clarify that these questions have nothing to do with my marriage, otherwise I would have posted this in the prayer forum.  Smiley

P.P.S.  I realize that such questions are best handled by the couples' priest, but since this is a hypothetical scenario we can probably go ahead with our opinions and thoughts.  

Edit: Spelling.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:08:19 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
asinnerr

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »

I think the answer is pretty clear:

From St. Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians, vs 12-17

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

17 Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, just as God has called them. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches.

"O thou who art far higher than the angels, raise me above this world's confusion."
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »

And if one of the spouses is wanting to become closer to Christ while the other isn't, when would divorce be permissible?  

Someone has already posted St Paul's words, which are directly applicable to this situation.

To add something from the canonical tradition: It is possible to divorce one's spouse (and remain in good standing in the Church) if that spouse was a believer but later becomes a confirmed "apostate." Please note: Possible, not required or even advised.

In previous centuries, "apostasy" meant leaving the Orthodox Church. In the situation presented by the OP, most spiritual courts would probably consider it "apostasy" if the formerly Christian spouse became a non-Christian (or even a member of a non-Trinitarian sect, e.g. Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Christian Scientist -- none of which can be married to an Orthodox Christian in the first place).

Make sense? In other words, it doesn't matter how "spiritual" or "observant" or supportive of your spiritual journey one's spouse is -- these are all qualitative, private issues between spouses -- but rather what one's public confession of faith is, and how the spouse backs that up liturgically. If they start confessing and worshiping another god, gods, or set of gurus, then there are grounds for divorce. If they just aren't particularly zealous or interested in following Jesus, that's a matter for prayer and patience.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »

It seems that such a marriage would be rocky from the start because instead of growing together, you have two people growing apart?  And if one of the spouses is wanting to become closer to Christ while the other isn't, when would divorce be permissible?
I believe the Church would say not to divorce, but if the unbelieving spouse leaves the believer, you should not apostasize to save the marriage.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: