OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:27:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online guides to self-examination/preparation for confession?  (Read 336 times) Average Rating: 0
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« on: June 02, 2013, 10:36:06 PM »

Hello, can anyone link me to good online guides for preparing and examining oneself for a first/lifetime confession?  Thanks! Smiley

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Out of This World

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:53 PM »

This might be helpful for you.
Michael David

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »

What a great booklet! Thanks for sharing that!

You can find some great lists of self-examination questions online. This is one I turn to:

http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/selfexam.aspx

Lists are limited because there's no way they can contain everything. But, I find them helpful to go over just to make sure you address all that you can. It can be easy to forget things! I converted quite recently and they have been beneficial to me, especially coming from a background that didn't confess. It was a great relief to undergo my lifetime confession, and I hope you have a beneficial experience as well!
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian

Never look back

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:37:21 AM »

What a great booklet! Thanks for sharing that!

You can find some great lists of self-examination questions online. This is one I turn to:

http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/selfexam.aspx

Lists are limited because there's no way they can contain everything. But, I find them helpful to go over just to make sure you address all that you can. It can be easy to forget things! I converted quite recently and they have been beneficial to me, especially coming from a background that didn't confess. It was a great relief to undergo my lifetime confession, and I hope you have a beneficial experience as well!

Thanks lovesupreme and Michael David!  The list and booklet will both prove helpful, as I also come from a non-confessional background.

I agree, no list can cover everything...but I see on those lists things that hadn't occurred to me.  It's easy to think of major sins and those which are personally troubling to you, but the more subtle things easily slip under the radar.

Thanks for the encouragement Michael Smiley  The prospect of undergoing confession is a scary one, but I hope and trust that it will be a blessing and a release as well. Smiley

Thanks again
Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »

Definitely glad I'm not a priest.  I would not want to hear all the stuff people have to confess about.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Michael David

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »

Thanks lovesupreme and Michael David!  The list and booklet will both prove helpful, as I also come from a non-confessional background.

I agree, no list can cover everything...but I see on those lists things that hadn't occurred to me.  It's easy to think of major sins and those which are personally troubling to you, but the more subtle things easily slip under the radar.

Thanks for the encouragement Michael Smiley  The prospect of undergoing confession is a scary one, but I hope and trust that it will be a blessing and a release as well. Smiley

Thanks again
Deborah

You are very welcome Deborah! Keep everyone here updated on your progress of conversion!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:08:09 PM by Michael David » Logged
WPM
Archon

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »

Yes there is one book like that Its called the Exomolegetarion - A manual of confession by Nikodemos the Hagiorite.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:13:35 PM by WPM » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »

Definitely glad I'm not a priest.  I would not want to hear all the stuff people have to confess about.

+1
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »

Hello, can anyone link me to good online guides for preparing and examining oneself for a first/lifetime confession?  Thanks! Smiley

Yes there is one book like that Its called the Exomolegetarion - A manual of confession by Nikodemos the Hagiorite.

Um, no offence, but I don't know that I'd recommend this as the answer to the OP.  At least not all of it.  And not without guidance.  Even Elder Porphyrios "had trouble" with it in his ministry as confessor, so I can only imagine what unguided confessees would do with it.  

I own a copy, so I'm not against laypeople reading and studying such things, but I'd make the same disclaimer about the Rudder or a number of other books...it's probably something priests would find more useful than laypeople.      

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
WPM
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »

Um, no offence, but I don't know that I'd recommend this as the answer to the OP.  At least not all of it.  And not without guidance.  Even Elder Porphyrios "had trouble" with it in his ministry as confessor, so I can only imagine what unguided confessees would do with it.  

I own a copy, so I'm not against laypeople reading and studying such things, but I'd make the same disclaimer about the Rudder or a number of other books...it's probably something priests would find more useful than laypeople.      

I agree, its a substantial book for Confession.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: