OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:01:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: buying a safe  (Read 435 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: May 31, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »

ok i know this is kinda a weird topic, but here goes.

im looking to buy a safe to store some stuff of personal value, in the event of a fire/burglary/water/etc. it needs to be atleast 20 inches deep and height needs to be more than 30 inches.

kinda want a heavy safe and ill have someone deliver it.

you all know some pretty quirky stuff so i think there is a good chance someone can help me out here.

im not looking to spend thousands of dollars on one and im not looking for what mt athos has for their icons.

ive been wanting to do this for a long time now but just now considering it since im in an apartment with a lot of people and it is not gated. who knows if a water heater starts leaking through the ceiling or a fire destroys everything.

theres no monetary value just some stuff i have that goes back a few generations.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »

Have you tried searching on the internet  Wink?

Have you thought about a safe deposit box in a bank?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »

Fire safes aren't rated for very serious fires, and anyone who really wants to can get into a personal safe. A file cabinet and some ziplocks are the sane way to go IMO. Or J Michal's suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:54:00 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
WPM
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »

Dry storage is one option. You know those storage buildings that you can rent to put stuff? ..
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 06:38:28 PM »

Below is what we use in a nuclear power plant:

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/file-cabinets-accessories/fire-proof-file-cabinets/product-prod3293244

For an unauthorized person to get into these, they would have to really want what was in them and have some time to get through the lock.  For the stuff we really want to secure, we weld tabs with holes in them to the file (not the drawer) and then run a steel rod through the tabs so that the drawers cannot be opened.  This rod is padlocked so that it cannot be removed without yet another key.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »

Get one that has a fire rating and has the capability to being bolted to your foundation/floor.   This way somebody can't just "dolly" the safe out of your home.  It doesn't have to be a pricey one, just so long as it bolts/screws down (from the inside of course).

Also you don't want one that feels like sheet metal only.

Costco has some good safes.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Michael David

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »

Ever look at a gun safe from a sporting goods store? Plenty tall, should be about the right width, and they are usually over 200 pounds. Prices hover between say $500-900 for a pretty good quality one. You do have to bolt them down because they are "front heavy," but as said, if you worry about theft, it should be anyways. These sorts of stores would deliver it as well.

Other people here provided great options! I think it certainly depends on what you're storing. If it's a bunch of oddly shaped things of different heights and widths, or if its primarily papers, that will have an impact.

Best of luck!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »

He's in an apartment.  I'm not sure they'd appreciate him bolting things to their floors.  I think a safe deposit box in a bank is the way for him to go for now, unless he's got really big stuff like furniture, etc. or lots and lots and lots of small stuff, then the dry storage option might work.  If he wants easy access to it, these two options could be problematic.

Here's a thought----he could just put the stuff in shoe boxes in a closet and booby-trap them  Grin Grin.  Works against thieves.  Against fire and water, well...not so much  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Michael David

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 09:29:15 PM »

He's in an apartment.  I'm not sure they'd appreciate him bolting things to their floors.  I think a safe deposit box in a bank is the way for him to go for now, unless he's got really big stuff like furniture, etc. or lots and lots and lots of small stuff, then the dry storage option might work.  If he wants easy access to it, these two options could be problematic.

Here's a thought----he could just put the stuff in shoe boxes in a closet and booby-trap them  Grin Grin.  Works against thieves.  Against fire and water, well...not so much  Grin.

Haha, that's certainly true! Very good point.

And booby-traps are a good idea too! Some sort of external storage place makes more sense, but they don't use booby-traps.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/file-cabinets-accessories/fire-proof-file-cabinets/product-prod3293244

For an unauthorized person to get into these, they would have to really want what was in them and have some time to get through the lock.  For the stuff we really want to secure, we weld tabs with holes in them to the file (not the drawer) and then run a steel rod through the tabs so that the drawers cannot be opened.  This rod is padlocked so that it cannot be removed without yet another key.

Cool!  That's similar to something I got a few years back.  Just for papers and stuff.  Now if only I could get organized enough to actually put them IN it!!!  Cheesy

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 12:50:55 AM »

That doesn't make me feel confident about nuclear power plants, you would think anyone wanting to run off with something would find it impossible to get on the grounds at all, much less to a filing cabinet.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:06:43 PM »

If you really want to keep something safe, put it on an island in the middle of a poison lake surrounded by impenetrable fire and let it be guarded by Komodo dragons.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »

I find that this one suits my needs just perfectly and would highly recommend one for you as well.  It is only $4 million dollars for the solid gold version.  You can cheap out and get a gold plated one for 40k, but what the heck, for your important belongings, they deserve to be encased in gold.

http://www.superyachtworld.com/lifestyle/ultimate-design-millionaire-safe/

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:49:24 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: