OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:23:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protein replacements and fasting  (Read 542 times) Average Rating: 0
Cassia

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 29, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »

I'm curious if anyone has heard a sound view of utilizing whey protein and other protein replacements during a fast. I ask not specifically for medical reasons but because I workout 5 days a week and going without sufficient protein interferes with my ability to complete workouts. While this seems vain, I'm a community health/fitness major and have to workout for a number of my classes. It seems like telling a professor I can't workout because of a fast and or hurting myself working out are not desirable options.
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »

I'm curious if anyone has heard a sound view of utilizing whey protein and other protein replacements during a fast. I ask not specifically for medical reasons but because I workout 5 days a week and going without sufficient protein interferes with my ability to complete workouts. While this seems vain, I'm a community health/fitness major and have to workout for a number of my classes. It seems like telling a professor I can't workout because of a fast and or hurting myself working out are not desirable options.

Definitely an "ask your priest" question. He's the one who knows you personally and spiritually.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:05:45 PM by LBK » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »

Is there non-dairy protein stuff? If there is, I guess that would be okay for fasting days. You could add it to water or almond milk (if that's your thing).

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »

Definitely an "ask your priest" question. He's the one who knows you personally and spiritually.

This. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »

First world problems, yawn...
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »

Forgive me for sounding argumentative, but why would she need to bother her priest with this?

Cassia, check out something called tempeh;

From the Wiki article on Tempeh:
"It originated in today's Indonesia, and is especially popular on the island of Java, where it is a staple source of protein. Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans, but it is a whole soybean product with different nutritional characteristics and textural qualities.[1] Tempeh's fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher content of protein, dietary fiber, and vitamins. It has a firm texture and an earthy flavor which becomes more pronounced as it ages.[2][3] Because of its nutritional value, tempeh is used worldwide in vegetarian cuisine, where it is used as a meat analogue."

There are many, many ways to cook it, so don't worry about not liking it or getting bored with it.  AFAIK, it's available in most health food stores.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »

Forgive me for sounding argumentative, but why would she need to bother her priest with this?

I don't think you'd need to ask a priest if it was a matter of vegan protein supplements (a doctor, but not a priest).  Regarding dairy products (and I took the OP's reference to whey protein as coming under that particular umbrella), some are more strict than others, which is why speaking to a priest would be appropriate. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:59:51 PM »

As usual, you have provided us with a helpful, constructive and insightful answer.  And here I thought being jaded was so blasé...

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »

I don't think you'd need to ask a priest if it was a matter of vegan protein supplements (a doctor, but not a priest).  Regarding dairy products (and I took the OP's reference to whey protein as coming under that particular umbrella), some are more strict than others, which is why speaking to a priest would be appropriate. 

Ah, yes, I see now.  Whey is a dairy product.  My bad. 

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »

As usual, you have provided us with a helpful, constructive and insightful answer.  And here I thought being jaded was so blasé...
the optimism displayed here really depresses me. but really, why should one "fast" to begin with?!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »

the optimism displayed here really depresses me. but really, why should one "fast" to begin with?!

Why do you call yourself an Orthodox Christian?  Seems a little misguided to me.

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »

Why do you call yourself an Orthodox Christian?  Seems a little misguided to me.
cuz i'm really good at askesis and all that.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »

As usual, you have provided us with a helpful, constructive and insightful answer.  And here I thought being jaded was so blasé...

Why do you call yourself an Orthodox Christian?  Seems a little misguided to me.
cuz i'm really good at askesis and all that.

So are Hindu's and Buddhist's.  But I'm excited you got there without fasting.  You simply must write a book some day.  Promise me an autographed copy?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:16:05 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Ignatius II

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 06:39:45 AM »

If you are interested in non-dairy protein powders you might check out pea protein and Hemp Protein. They are pure plant based proteins.  The Hemp protein does not contain the active mind alterring substances found in marijuana for those who might be concerned about that, so there are should be no legal issues involved here. Hemp is regarded as kind of a super food, with a plentiful supply of protein and fiber. There is plenty info on the web about pea and hemp proteins,  if you want to look it up.  You can order it through Amazon or another of on-line sources or purchase at most health food stores.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »

split mung beans are 30% protein. they are almost fat free too.
you boil them (they are like lentils) in 2-3 times their volume of water for 30 minutes and then add spoonfuls of them to stir fried vegetables or rice or whatever else you are eating.
(i added egg today to make it non fasting)

this is healthier than taking those power things that contain preservatives and weird stuff.
if this is not enough protein, then add toasted (grilled) sesame seeds too.
if you have veg (including green veg), mung beans, sesame seeds and rice, then all your nutritional needs are met.
just wait an hour or two for it to go down, and then you can exercise.

yum! looking forward to the next fast.
 Smiley
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »

I've been told that the soy based vegan substitutes are fine. There is also an allowance for shell fish on fast days.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Michael David

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »

Definitely true. Whey protein is tricky since it is such a refined product compared to outright "dairy." The answer here will more likely be related to your faith and spiritual standing, of which your priest will know you best. Sometimes economia presents itself with issues like this, but regardless, consulting your priest is always better than just doing things on your own.

Outside of this, there are alternative protein powders, though I don't think any are as "effective" or affordable as whey, but they do exist. From a bodybuilding perspective, maybe getting in a post-workout shake that is primarily carbs (so it goes into your muscles) while pairing it with a high-protein vegetarian meal would closely replicate the reaction. (I know you need the liquid for its speed after a workout, but maybe at least pairing liquid with food would even things out to get to your muscles fast enough.) Maybe even a high-protein vegetarian stew? Great sources were named earlier with tempeh and mung beans as far as food. The highest source of vegetarian protein (especially compared to carbs) I'm familiar with is seitan, or wheat gluten. Assuming you're not gluten sensitive, it has a fantastic profile that nearly mimics meat. One ounce of seitan has 104 calories, 1 g of fat, 4 g of carbs, and 21 g of protein. I don't know of any higher vegetarian source of protein relative to carbohydrates. It can also be made at home from regular flour, albeit it will take a fair amount since you wash away all the starches and things, but grocery stores are increasingly selling it. It marinades great and it has a nice toothiness to it like meat. All that said, this depends if you are sensitive to gluten or not since this is, well, gluten. But, look into it as far as meals go!
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »

Wheat protein and tempeh are tasty when done right.  My local drug store sells a vegetable protein mix along with the whey protein. Any time you mix a legume and a carbohydrate, you will get a complete protein. I would caution against sudden changes in diet to high fiber, high bean, high raw vegetable diets from a more meat and potato sort of diet though as it can cause stomach issues.

Hemp milk, like almond milk, is delicious! I like to mix the chocolate, vanilla, and plain flavors together. Some higher class/healthier style grocery stores may sell it.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »

I have found a vegan-gluten free protein source that is fairly good:

http://plantfusion.net/

I add some frozen banana to it and it is pretty palatable.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: