OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 04:07:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Lamp in the Dark  (Read 1722 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: May 28, 2013, 07:38:16 PM »

Thought I'd share this documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dv4KNsJITc

It won't make you any RC friends, but I thought it was pretty good.
Had some interesting stuff in it...  You know some things can be sketchy on a 3 hour documentary, but I thought overall it was very good.   Copyright free on youtube.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »

A Lamp in the Dark is an exciting new documentary that unfolds the fascinating "untold" history of the Bible, revealing critical information often overlooked in modern histories. Enter into a world of saints and martyrs battling against spies, assassins and wolves in sheep's clothing.

Throughout the Middle Ages, the Papal Inquisition forbade biblical translation, threatening imprisonment and death to those who disobeyed. Learn the stories of valiant warriors of the faith, such as John Wycliffe, William Tyndale, Martin Luther, the ancient Waldenses, Albigenses and others who hazarded their lives for the sake of sharing the Gospel light with a world drowning in darkness.

Once the common people were able to read the Bible, the world was turned upside down through the Protestant Reformation. The Reformers subdued whole kingdoms by preaching the grace of God, and exposing the unbiblical doctrines of Rome. In response, the Vatican would launch a Counter Reformation to destroy the work of the Reformers, including the bibles they produced.

Seems like bollocks to me. See the bolded above.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »

We've heard of Protestantism before.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »

In response, the Vatican would launch a Counter Reformation to destroy the work of the Reformers, including the bibles they produced.

That wascally Watican...

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 01:54:03 AM »

Though I am sure the producers had good intensions, I have a hard time taking any documentary, that still portrays the Middle Ages as the "Dark Ages", seriously.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:54:35 AM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 01:58:10 AM »

Ah, Landmark Baptist/Trail of Blood.

Definitely credible stuff.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:13 AM »

Although Landmark Baptists are quite odd, they at least believe in a visible church rather than the fictional "invisible" church that most protestants believe in.  Unfortunately, they just believe in the goofy idea that they are the "true church".   A basic study of history condemns that idea to the trash heap of heretical teachings.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »

Sorry yesh, this kind of stuff is really bad.

Even other Baptists tend to push away the Landmarkists as silly.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »

Landmarkism was actually my very first step into learning about Church History.  I found a book on it and read about how they traced their origins all the way back to the early Church.  After looking into it further, I realized that the groups that they attempted to attach themselves to were no in anyway compatible with Scripture, so I started looking at other options.  I give them credit though for recognizing that historicity is important even if they use it in a very distorted manner.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 11:09:54 AM »

Interestingly, the Worldwide Church of God (Herbert Armstrong) break-aways teach something similar to Landmarkism. They similarly point to ridiculously heretical/gnostic groups as being the continuation of the "Church of God," and sometimes emphasize a specific shared doctrine (e.g. adult baptism) while ignoring the rest of their incompatible beliefs. The Albigenses/Cathars and Bogomils are often used, which is just a laugh for anyone that knows anything about these groups.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

Had some interesting stuff in it...  You know some things can be sketchy on a 3 hour documentary, but I thought overall it was very good.   Copyright free on youtube.

Yesh, when you walk around in public, do you find yourself compulsively buying shiny things?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 05:05:52 PM »

Yesh, when you walk around in public, do you find yourself compulsively buying shiny things?

Nope.   Just buy things I need.

I found it interesting.   The inquisition, and how the Catholic church murdered other Christians in order to prevent the scriptures from being read in English.  Information on William Tyndale, and how the RC church persecuted him & executed him for his "wrongs".

I've read many times about Tyndale, and this documentary seems very credible to me on his life.  Although, his life was incredibly exciting in ways, running from place to place, barely escaping at times...

Also interesting in the documentary is also cited information on Constantine.  It's mostly post schism though, so it primarily deals with the RC church.

Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »

I don't know.

It seems to me that people often make it look as if the reformation was all about language. I also don't like the way popular culture often ignores the many killings done by protestants.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »

I don't know.

It seems to me that people often make it look as if the reformation was all about language. I also don't like the way popular culture often ignores the many killings done by protestants.

Yes, the Anabaptists for instance were heavily martyred by the Roman Catholics and Protestants.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »

I don't know.

Yes, the Anabaptists for instance were heavily martyred by the Roman Catholics and Protestants.

Yes, that is true. However, I was thinking more about the catholics who were killed by protestants.

-St Silouan the athonite
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 06:09:49 PM »

I don't know.

Don't forget the brutal apocalyptic Anabaptist city. Wink
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 06:33:12 PM »

I don't know.

Everyone was martyred by everyone else at some point. So what?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »

From what I've read there was actually some sense to the RC initial banning of translations.  Supposedly in one diocese near to Protestant lands some really bad Protestant translations were being circulated and lots of little private "true churches" based upon these errant readings were popping up, etc. So, he put the kibosh on such things in his diocese. Neighboring dioceses began copying this policy (not always with local reason) until it was virtually an RC wide practice within a few years.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »

From what I've read there was actually some sense to the RC initial banning of translations.  Supposedly in one diocese near to Protestant lands some really bad Protestant translations were being circulated and lots of little private "true churches" based upon these errant readings were popping up, etc. So, he put the kibosh on such things in his diocese. Neighboring dioceses began copying this policy (not always with local reason) until it was virtually an RC wide practice within a few years.

Definitely a bad PR stunt.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 07:07:14 AM »

I don't know.

My wife went to a Mennonite high school where everybody told her, "We'll pray for you" (which Mennonite slang for "Go f- yourself.") Does that count as martyrdom?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »

I don't know.

My wife went to a Mennonite high school where everybody told her, "We'll pray for you" (which Mennonite slang for "Go f- yourself.") Does that count as martyrdom?

Nope.   I bet they do pray for her too, if they were a conservative bunch.  But far from martyrdom.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »

The truth of the matter is the reformation was fueled some by people actually reading the scriptures in their own tongue, rather than a priest/bishop dictating to them what is in the bible.   Thus later when the heretical practices of the church were pitted against the scriptures, the term "sola scriptura" was then applied to the protestants.   It is used in a demeaning way today by Catholics, but when called that most protestants are happy and take it as a compliment.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »

It's still a heresy. You don't get to twist things into the way you want.

If you really believed in Sola Scriptura, you'd be a Lutheran. Not this smorgasbord, make up whatever you want - style of 'Christianity.'
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 03:44:15 PM »

The funny thing is that, in many lutheran countries, things didn't change that much. I remember reading, that until fairly recently, no one in Denmark were allowed to study the Bible without the precense of a priest.

-St Silouan the athonite
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »

The funny thing is that, in many lutheran countries, things didn't change that much. I remember reading, that until fairly recently, no one in Denmark were allowed to study the Bible without the precense of a priest.

Interesting, but sounds right from what I've heard. Just because Protestants believed in Sola Scriptura and the use of the vernacular, doesn't mean they wanted to permit each layperson to interpret Scripture individually in isolation. Same thing applies today, which is why most Protestant faith groups tend to have their own "traditions" and authorities by which they interpret Scripture, even if it's not necessarily phrased that way.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »

Interesting, but sounds right from what I've heard. Just because Protestants believed in Sola Scriptura and the use of the vernacular, doesn't mean they wanted to permit each layperson to interpret Scripture individually in isolation. Same thing applies today, which is why most Protestant faith groups tend to have their own "traditions" and authorities by which they interpret Scripture, even if it's not necessarily phrased that way.

True, and it didn't exactly help that a large portion of the population was analphabetic until the mid-19th century.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »

Of course, there was still religious litterature outside the scriptures, Luther's small cathecism, for example. I remember learning about it when I wassmall. I thought it had something to do with cats.  Tongue

And then there were theologians who wrote about the faith, but I don't know if such works were read among the lower classes.

-St Silouan the athonite
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »

I light a single candle each day for memorial and vigil.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »

If you really believed in Sola Scriptura, you'd be a Lutheran. Not this smorgasbord, make up whatever you want - style of 'Christianity.'

Well also the Pope declaring himself to be "The way, the truth, and the life".  I think that may even be a greater heresy than the reformation.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »

That's not exactly what I recall from Tyndale, as he's been quoted as saying men should be able to interpret the scriptures.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 07:23:43 PM »

Well also the Pope declaring himself to be "The way, the truth, and the life".  I think that may even be a greater heresy than the reformation.

Did he do that?!  Huh Where do you hear these things?
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »

That's not exactly what I recall from Tyndale, as he's been quoted as saying men should be able to interpret the scriptures.

Care to provide the quote?

I wouldn't imagine Luther or Calvin wanting every individual to interpret the scriptures completely in isolation.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »

I'm guessing he is referencing this quote.  It is the closest Tyndale quote I could find to the topic.

"I defy the Pope, and all his laws; and if God spares my life, ere many years, I will cause the boy that driveth the plow to know more of the Scriptures than thou dost!"

katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »

...men should be able to interpret the scriptures.

They should be. And they do, just not properly. Which is why there are so many Protestant denominations, as people make it up as they go along.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »

I'm guessing he is referencing this quote.  It is the closest Tyndale quote I could find to the topic.

"I defy the Pope, and all his laws; and if God spares my life, ere many years, I will cause the boy that driveth the plow to know more of the Scriptures than thou dost!"

Interesting quote. If that is the one, it doesn't necessarily imply individual/isolated interpretation.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »

The source is cited in the movie.

(Pope Boniface VIII, 1302 AD in an ex cathedra in his Bull Unum Sanctum). Pope Pius IX said about himself, “I am the way, the truth, and the life”.

Lots of sources on google, including Catholic ones.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »

Interesting quote. If that is the one, it doesn't necessarily imply individual/isolated interpretation.

I didn't say individual or isolated.

I hope everybody actually watched the documentary, it is very interesting.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »

Yesh, do you really believe the Albigenses were spreading Gospel light?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »

I don't know.

Nope.   I bet they do pray for her too, if they were a conservative bunch. 

Certainly a pharisaic and hateful bunch.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »

(Pope Boniface VIII, 1302 AD in an ex cathedra in his Bull Unum Sanctum). Pope Pius IX said about himself, “I am the way, the truth, and the life”.

What is bolded is not found here:

http://www.fordham.edu/Halsall/source/B8-unam.asp
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 07:24:18 PM »

Well also the Pope declaring himself to be "The way, the truth, and the life".  I think that may even be a greater heresy than the reformation.

Did he do that?!  Huh Where do you hear these things?

Google the quote, and find the source that you trust.   Not hard to believe anyway, after all he's the supposed "vicar of Christ".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:36:50 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »

I don't know.

Nope.   I bet they do pray for her too, if they were a conservative bunch. 

Certainly a pharisaic and hateful bunch.

That's ironic, because I've seen EO Christians leave the church and the members say "we'll pray for you".   Could the same be said for them?

Look, every group has bad apples, even the EO. 

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »

Yesh, do you really believe the Albigenses were spreading Gospel light?

Where did I say that?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »

Google the quote, and find the source that you trust.   Not hard to believe anyway, after all he's the supposed "vicar of Christ".

Not that I thoroughly scoured the internet in search of a source for this quote, but from what I was able to read, it seems no one has a source for the alleged quote from Pius IX.  The most they'll say is "He said in a speech, etc." or "the Vatican Council says, etc."  No where do they cite what speech, what document, etc.  Furthermore, I can see translation issues becoming a factor here: for instance, Dominus can mean "Lord" as in "The LORD" or it can mean "Lord" as in "Sir", but I don't trust fundamentalists to make such distinctions, so if they read a Council document referring to a Pope as Dominus noster, they're already so hellbent against RC's that anything will set them off. 

Clearly they are able to cite relevant documents, chapter and verse, when they actually have a solid source to work with; but so far, the veracity of Pius IX saying he's "the Way, the Truth, and the Life" seems to be right up there with the quote from Abraham Lincoln where he talked about not believing everything you read on the internet. 

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »

Not that I thoroughly scoured the internet in search of a source for this quote, but from what I was able to read, it seems no one has a source for the alleged quote from Pius IX.  The most they'll say is "He said in a speech, etc." or "the Vatican Council says, etc."  No where do they cite what speech, what document, etc.  Furthermore, I can see translation issues becoming a factor here: for instance, Dominus can mean "Lord" as in "The LORD" or it can mean "Lord" as in "Sir", but I don't trust fundamentalists to make such distinctions, so if they read a Council document referring to a Pope as Dominus noster, they're already so hellbent against RC's that anything will set them off. 

Clearly they are able to cite relevant documents, chapter and verse, when they actually have a solid source to work with; but so far, the veracity of Pius IX saying he's "the Way, the Truth, and the Life" seems to be right up there with the quote from Abraham Lincoln where he talked about not believing everything you read on the internet. 

Yep, its true it's on the internet.... Sure google it...

If you actually watched the movie rather than making comments trying to discredit things in the movie, then you people would have the source.   Of course, I'm sure this source will just be discredited, as people can't google it.  LOL.   Many of the documents were from the 1800's.

Or if I must do more leg work rather than just saying "google it",

Start the video at 1:32:15 and go 1:35 and you'll see a lot of quotes, with sources cited.

If you care to even watch the documentary, there are many sources cited.   Including the quote given.

Just be ready, because the logic here is "if it's on the internet, it's not credible".   The next logic is "prove it".   So tell me, are you going to go seek documents from the 1800's to verify, or do you just want to google it?

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »

Well also the Pope declaring himself to be "The way, the truth, and the life".  I think that may even be a greater heresy than the reformation.

If you look hard enough, you can "probably" find Unum Sanctum on the Vatican's website in the original Latin.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »

If you care to even watch the documentary, there are many sources cited.   Including the quote given.

Just be ready, because the logic here is "if it's on the internet, it's not credible".   The next logic is "prove it".   So tell me, are you going to go seek documents from the 1800's to verify, or do you just want to google it?

This is rich...I'm still waiting for the answer to my question to you about the the identity of the father of Jesus in that thread on the ever-virginity of Mary (it's been weeks), yet here I make a comment about my uncertainty regarding the accuracy of a quote from a Pope, and you jump at my logic.  Smiley  My logic is not that "If it's on the internet, it's not credible", my logic is "Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's credible".  This logic can also be expressed in another way: "Just because it's claimed in a three hour Youtube video doesn't mean it's credible".

I don't have time in my life to watch a three hour video whose premise is this:

A Lamp in the Dark is an exciting new documentary that unfolds the fascinating "untold" history of the Bible, revealing critical information often overlooked in modern histories. Enter into a world of saints and martyrs battling against spies, assassins and wolves in sheep's clothing.

Throughout the Middle Ages, the Papal Inquisition forbade biblical translation, threatening imprisonment and death to those who disobeyed. Learn the stories of valiant warriors of the faith, such as John Wycliffe, William Tyndale, Martin Luther, the ancient Waldenses, Albigenses and others who hazarded their lives for the sake of sharing the Gospel light with a world drowning in darkness.

Once the common people were able to read the Bible, the world was turned upside down through the Protestant Reformation. The Reformers subdued whole kingdoms by preaching the grace of God, and exposing the unbiblical doctrines of Rome. In response, the Vatican would launch a Counter Reformation to destroy the work of the Reformers, including the bibles they produced.

Reading that premise alone is enough to inspire doubts about how thorough the scholarship was.  But that's me. 

Anyway, thanks to your post, I was able to watch the three minutes you cited.  I note that most of the quotes are not from primary sources, but from secondary sources.  The quotes may very well be true, but if they are, then certainly the original citation is in the book the film chooses to quote.  Why not just post that?  After all, 

"He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day; if he prays a Pater, an Ave, and a Gloria for my intentions, I'll even remit his time in purgatory--no one needs a tan that bad!  It's good to be the Pope!!"  Pope Benedict XVI, Homily at the Basilica of St Paul Outside the Walls, 28 June 2010 Acta Apostolicae Sedis 100 (2010), 437-439

has a lot more credibility than

"He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day; if he prays a Pater, an Ave, and a Gloria for my intentions, I'll even remit his time in purgatory--no one needs a tan that bad!  It's good to be the Pope!!"  Pope Benedict XVI, quoted in Jack Chick, The Roman Antichrist, Abomination of Desolation

But as it is, only if I'm really curious will I make the effort to get these books from the library, search for the citations, and then verify them.  Or I can be gullible and just believe it because someone with an ax to grind told me so in their three hour video.  It's telling that they can quote and cite documents like Unam Sanctam but other quotes have to be relayed less directly.  That makes me suspicious.  The quotes may all be true...I just think they hurt their case by citing lesser documents.  Or, maybe they're lies, or mistranslations, or something similar, but they don't want us to catch on.   

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2013, 12:04:48 AM »

Google the quote, and find the source that you trust.   Not hard to believe anyway, after all he's the supposed "vicar of Christ".

If you look hard enough, you can "probably" find Unum Sanctum on the Vatican's website in the original Latin.

yeshuaisiam, I just want to add that if you do find Unum Sanctum in the original Latin, you can either have a homeschooled child fluent in Latin translate it or have our own Cyrillic do the translation.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:05:43 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 12:45:11 AM »

Google the quote, and find the source that you trust.   Not hard to believe anyway, after all he's the supposed "vicar of Christ".

yeshuaisiam, I just want to add that if you do find Unum Sanctum in the original Latin, you can either have a homeschooled child fluent in Latin translate it or have our own Cyrillic do the translation.

I would not be surprised if one could translate Latin.   

Well the way I see it is that they cited the source in the video.  It's up to you whether or not to believe that source.  If you "discredit" the source by stating "not good enough", then it's typically up to the skeptic to prove otherwise.  They cited sources from the 1800's - books & papers. 

That's where I found the irony in stating "everything you read on the internet isn't true".  The sources are in these old books & papers.   The old books & papers may not be on the internet.

We can reject the sources and call it all a lie.  We can research the sources and validate them or discredit them from the sources.  We can trust the sources at face value.  Or we can sit here screaming nanny nanny boo boo at each other.

See the truth is, if anybody really cared, they would research the sources, track down the papers, and see for themselves.  But of course, we don't have time or the willpower to do so...  (I don't think anybody here would disagree)

So that leads back to the internet.  While on one hand the internet is an invalid source, it is also the only source anybody is willing look at.

All I can say is the documentary cited these sources, and the track record of several Popes (vicar of Christ right?) would not make these quotes unimaginable.   The other thing is the documentary cites several quotes which all rung blasphemy.

I mean, unless you believe him to be the Vicar of Christ?

I guess I'm sort of surprised more EO would not appreciate this video.  It really doesn't deal TOO much with the EO in some manners. Perhaps disses Constantine... But really rough on the RC's.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2013, 12:58:21 AM »

I'd say we, or at least I, don't want to buy into false 19th-20th century anti-Catholic rubbish just to score some points against the RC's.

If a pope actually said something like that, then I'm pretty sure the documentary wouldn't have to resort to quoting from an obscure 19th century work.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 08:57:24 AM »

Well the way I see it is that they cited the source in the video.  It's up to you whether or not to believe that source.  If you "discredit" the source by stating "not good enough", then it's typically up to the skeptic to prove otherwise.

You've got that backwards. The burden of proof is on the person making the assertion. Citing a secondary or tertiary source does not fulfill that burden. There is no shame is summarily dismissing crap scholarship- there are not enough hours in the day to spend finding the primary sources for people who haven't done their homework.

They cited sources from the 1800's - books & papers.  

That's where I found the irony in stating "everything you read on the internet isn't true".  The sources are in these old books & papers.   The old books & papers may not be on the internet.

Trust me, if some Pope, somewhere, even in the most obscure handwritten note to his favorite choirboy, had declared "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life," and Protestants (or Orthodox) were able to get a hold of it, it would be all over the internet by now.

We can reject the sources and call it all a lie.  We can research the sources and validate them or discredit them from the sources.

Something you obviously haven't done either, but it doesn't stop you from assuming them to be true and stating, matter-of-factly, that some Pope declared himself to be "The Way, the Truth, the Life."

See the truth is, if anybody really cared, they would research the sources, track down the papers, and see for themselves.

Again, something you haven't done. You are asking us to do the filmmakers' homework for them. If the makers of this crap documentary really cared, they would have taken the time to track down the papers themselves, instead of citing secondary sources. Anyone who has written a halfway decent college research paper would do this.

I guess I'm sort of surprised more EO would not appreciate this video.  It really doesn't deal TOO much with the EO in some manners. Perhaps disses Constantine... But really rough on the RC's.

Speaking for myself, I am not so desperate to critique the RC's that I will disseminate any lie or half-truth to put them in a poorer light. You evidently have a different attitude.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:57:59 AM by Iconodule » Logged

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »

Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff

I don't really care about this argument, but I think this is the quote that you all are debating over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unam_sanctam

The wikipedia article as a whole is quite interesting...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:13:59 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »

Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff

I don't really care about this argument, but I think this is the quote that you all are debating over.

No, actually. Everyone and his Calvinist grandma knows about that quote. What we're discussing is the claim that a Pope specifically said, "I am the Way, the Truth, the Life." Not that the Pope implied it, but that he actually said it.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »

No, actually. Everyone and his Calvinist grandma knows about that quote. What we're discussing is the claim that a Pope specifically said, "I am the Way, the Truth, the Life." Not that the Pope implied it, but that he actually said it.
Oh, my bad. I did not see anything like that in the wikipedia article and I am far to lazy to do any more research on it.  Wink

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 09:57:15 PM »

Well the way I see it is that they cited the source in the video.  It's up to you whether or not to believe that source.  If you "discredit" the source by stating "not good enough", then it's typically up to the skeptic to prove otherwise.

You've got that backwards. The burden of proof is on the person making the assertion. Citing a secondary or tertiary source does not fulfill that burden. There is no shame is summarily dismissing crap scholarship- there are not enough hours in the day to spend finding the primary sources for people who haven't done their homework.

That's where I found the irony in stating "everything you read on the internet isn't true".  The sources are in these old books & papers.   The old books & papers may not be on the internet.

Trust me, if some Pope, somewhere, even in the most obscure handwritten note to his favorite choirboy, had declared "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life," and Protestants (or Orthodox) were able to get a hold of it, it would be all over the internet by now.

We can reject the sources and call it all a lie.  We can research the sources and validate them or discredit them from the sources.

Something you obviously haven't done either, but it doesn't stop you from assuming them to be true and stating, matter-of-factly, that some Pope declared himself to be "The Way, the Truth, the Life."

See the truth is, if anybody really cared, they would research the sources, track down the papers, and see for themselves.

Again, something you haven't done. You are asking us to do the filmmakers' homework for them. If the makers of this crap documentary really cared, they would have taken the time to track down the papers themselves, instead of citing secondary sources. Anyone who has written a halfway decent college research paper would do this.

I guess I'm sort of surprised more EO would not appreciate this video.  It really doesn't deal TOO much with the EO in some manners. Perhaps disses Constantine... But really rough on the RC's.

Speaking for myself, I am not so desperate to critique the RC's that I will disseminate any lie or half-truth to put them in a poorer light. You evidently have a different attitude.

No, it's not backwards.

The documentary quoted the Pope, they CITED their source.  You call bologna to the source.  It's up to you to prove how it is fake.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »

This is rich...I'm still waiting for the answer to my question to you about the the identity of the father of Jesus in that thread on the ever-virginity of Mary (it's been weeks), yet here I make a comment about my uncertainty regarding the accuracy of a quote from a Pope, and you jump at my logic.  Smiley  My logic is not that "If it's on the internet, it's not credible", my logic is "Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's credible".  This logic can also be expressed in another way: "Just because it's claimed in a three hour Youtube video doesn't mean it's credible".

I don't have time in my life to watch a three hour video whose premise is this:

Reading that premise alone is enough to inspire doubts about how thorough the scholarship was.  But that's me. 

Anyway, thanks to your post, I was able to watch the three minutes you cited.  I note that most of the quotes are not from primary sources, but from secondary sources.  The quotes may very well be true, but if they are, then certainly the original citation is in the book the film chooses to quote.  Why not just post that?  After all, 

"He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day; if he prays a Pater, an Ave, and a Gloria for my intentions, I'll even remit his time in purgatory--no one needs a tan that bad!  It's good to be the Pope!!"  Pope Benedict XVI, Homily at the Basilica of St Paul Outside the Walls, 28 June 2010 Acta Apostolicae Sedis 100 (2010), 437-439

has a lot more credibility than

"He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day; if he prays a Pater, an Ave, and a Gloria for my intentions, I'll even remit his time in purgatory--no one needs a tan that bad!  It's good to be the Pope!!"  Pope Benedict XVI, quoted in Jack Chick, The Roman Antichrist, Abomination of Desolation

But as it is, only if I'm really curious will I make the effort to get these books from the library, search for the citations, and then verify them.  Or I can be gullible and just believe it because someone with an ax to grind told me so in their three hour video.  It's telling that they can quote and cite documents like Unam Sanctam but other quotes have to be relayed less directly.  That makes me suspicious.  The quotes may all be true...I just think they hurt their case by citing lesser documents.  Or, maybe they're lies, or mistranslations, or something similar, but they don't want us to catch on.   

Will get to your question on that thread. Sorry I stopped following it.  Most threads I post end up in circular arguments as I was thinking that one did.

How do you know they are lesser documents?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2013, 12:14:33 AM »

How do you know they are lesser documents?

The quote from Pius IX appears at 1:34:41, and reads like this:

I alone...am the Successor of the Apostles, the Vicar of Jesus Christ...I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life..."

Source: "History of the Christian Church" by Henry Charles Sheldon, p. 59

First of all, "dot dot dot" appears in more than one place; what was left out?  It may not make a difference, but maybe it does.  For all we know, the "Way, the Truth, and the Life" part was a quotation from Scripture cited for another purpose, but you won't know without knowing what the dots are replacing. 

But more to my point, the source for the Pius quote is a book by someone named Sheldon.  The source for the Pius quote is not from a writing or speech of someone named Pius IX.  If Sheldon's book has the proper citation which would tell us where Pius IX said those words, why not provide that citation instead of "p. 59"?  Even if it can't be found on the internet, it can certainly be found in some library somewhere, and being able to point to Pius' own words in context would be more effective.  And, by the way, which p. 59 is this quote to be found on?  According to Amazon, it's a five-volume set.  What justifies the sort of laziness that doesn't even get their own citation right?   

And in those three minutes you referred me to, most of the quotes are from similar sources.  They're not quoting the actual people, but they're quoting a book as saying that they said it.  When this is done in most of the books I read, the footnote gives proper citations not only for the original quote, but for the secondary source from which the quote was taken.  As Iconodule said, college research papers are held to higher standards than the standards to which the makers of this documentary held themselves. 

I have no problem believing that past Popes spoke of themselves and their office in very strong terms.  I just don't believe this one.  It's like having a Pope make a speech about himself saying "Before Abraham was, I AM".  Those things get noticed if they get said.  And by now, someone would've put it on the internet...it's not like there's a shortage of anti-Catholics on the internet.  Yet, the only source for the Pius quote is one page from a five-volume work by a fellow from 1894 that no one more recent picked up on until the makers of this documentary?

For now, I'm not buying it.   

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2013, 12:50:04 AM »

Here is the quote:

In 1866 the Bishop of Bordeaux spoke of the Pope as "the centre of the divine government and the living incarnation of the authority of Christ."1  Strong as is this statement, it rather yields the palm to that which Pius IX. uttered of himself in the same year. If the Ultramontane papers of France can be trusted, the Pope said: "Despite my unworthiness, I alone am the successor of the apostles, the vicar of Jesus Christ, I alone have the mission to guide and direct the barque of Peter, I am the way, the truth, and the life."2 Another expression, attributed to the Pope by no hostile hand, indicates a pronounced conviction that it was a part of his function to be the death of men as well as their life.

[Footnotes]
1 Le centre du gouvernement divin, et I'incarnation vivante de I'autorite du Christ. (Quoted by Friedrich, Vat. Konzil, i. 499.)

2 Seul, malgre mon indignite, je suis le successeur des Apotres, le Vicaire de Jesus-Christ, seul j'ai la mission de conduire et de diriger la barque de Pierre, je suis la voie, la verite et la vie. (Ibid., i. 498.)

-- Source

I present this not as proof that it was said, but simply as a lead that can be followed up if anyone is interested. As for the volume, this net source says the subtitle is "THE MODERN CHURCH". The last three volumes of the five volume set appear to be subtitled "The Modern Church" (distinguished by being labeled parts 1, 2, and 3). I tried to identify the volume by the number of pages in the above net source, comparing it with books available on amazon, but none of the page numbers matched; though since the amazon books are reprints or later editions it would have been wild luck to find a match anyway. However, a few searches for some of the chapter titles led to evidence that this quote was in the fifth volume, that is to say, the third one subtitled "The Modern Church" (compare the chapter title that the quote appear in, in the link above, with the matching chapter title here).

EDIT--Well if I'd been smart enough to back up on the site of the source quoted above (see here) I would have seen that it was indeed identified as volume 5)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:55:22 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2013, 07:43:51 AM »

No, it's not backwards.

The documentary quoted the Pope, they CITED their source. 

But they really didn't cite the source. They cited a source which cited the source (supposedly). Do your own homework.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »

Wait, wait, wait....someone is actually defending this rubbish?

PP

Gregory the Great

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »

I present this not as proof that it was said, but simply as a lead that can be followed up if anyone is interested.

I never meant to imply that the citation couldn't be verified: of course it's possible to check p. 59 of Sheldon's book to find the quote and look for further references.  But this post only highlights my problem.  The footnotes there give the French version of two quotes, one from the Bishop of Bordeaux, and another from "the Ultramontane papers of France"; but no where is it indicated which Ultramontane papers, or in what speech or document penned by the Bishop, instead we get another reference to another secondary source.  What are we going to find when we dig up Friedrich, Vat. Konzil, i. 498, 499?  Wouldn't it have been easier and more convincing to just find and cite the original source rather than sending you on this wild goose chase? 

But maybe that's the point.   

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 08:55:40 PM »

Wouldn't it have been easier and more convincing to just find and cite the original source rather than sending you on this wild goose chase? 

Yup.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2013, 06:23:29 PM »

Wouldn't it have been easier and more convincing to just find and cite the original source rather than sending you on this wild goose chase? 

Yup.

How much more source do you want cited... Also, funny, I thought you guys would not be defending the Pope here.  LOL

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »

How much more source do you want cited...

Anything that is true.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »

Yeah, its kinda like claiming the government hunted your people down for 300 years, killed all of your leaders in horrible ways, and your own people kept going astray to the point where the majority of people were heretics and the government supported them, but you somehow peacefully wrested control and took over all of society...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »

Yup.

How much more source do you want cited... Also, funny, I thought you guys would not be defending the Pope here.  LOL

I have plenty of disagreements with Rome, I just don't need to use lies to express those disagreements. Evidently you have a different attitude about it.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2013, 08:32:16 PM »

Yeah, its kinda like claiming the government hunted your people down for 300 years, killed all of your leaders in horrible ways, and your own people kept going astray to the point where the majority of people were heretics and the government supported them, but you somehow peacefully wrested control and took over all of society...

Are we talking about Jews? I am confused.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2013, 08:55:24 PM »

No, the early Christians. I was drawing the comparison because the Landmark claims of being a small, persecuted minority preserving the faith while everyone else goes astray is the same thing all Christians claim at one period or another, but people act like they're just out there on it.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »

No, the early Christians. I was drawing the comparison because the Landmark claims of being a small, persecuted minority preserving the faith while everyone else goes astray is the same thing all Christians claim at one period or another, but people act like they're just out there on it.

Except the Landmark/Trail of Blood theory is easily demonstrably false. They claim that groups like the Albigenses are their predecessors, which is just laughable to think that they're somehow the predecessor to Baptists.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »

Except the Landmark/Trail of Blood theory is easily demonstrably false. They claim that groups like the Albigenses are their predecessors, which is just laughable to think that they're somehow the predecessor to Baptists.

How is it demonstrably false? Even if the Albigenses can be proven false, the connection with the Waldenses (some of whom merged with mainstream Protestantism, and some of whom still exist in their own right) cannot be so that puts Protestant links back at least to the 12th century.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »

How is it demonstrably false? Even if the Albigenses can be proven false, the connection with the Waldenses (some of whom merged with mainstream Protestantism, and some of whom still exist in their own right) cannot be so that puts Protestant links back at least to the 12th century.

It's false because the theories themselves claim an unbroken, continuous lineage that goes back directly to the early church, and to the apostles themselves. The Albigenses, Montanists, Paulicians, etc. are not even remotely close to claimable predecessors of the Baptists. Therefore, the lineage is not "unbroken" as these groups (and others, which constitute the large part of a thousand years or more) are not a direct continuance of a baptist lineage and the theories are false.

Baptists aren't the only ones that try to use this exact same lineage of groups - some of the Worldwide Church of God remnants do, which results in another demonstrably false theory.

And these theories aren't about "Protestantism in general" AFAIK, but "Baptists" or "the Church of God" specifically with all else in history being heresy.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:44:21 PM by Nephi » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »

LOL, indeed.  After all, in another thread, you are arguing that, despite a documented historical progression which lead to the current manner of icon veneration in Eastern Orthodoxy, you will only accept iconography and icon veneration as a legitimate practice if you see the current practice documented in the writings of the first century Christians, or if you see first century examples of such art.  Those are the only sources you are interested in, despite all manner of other sources and explanations which are pertinent to the subject.  So can I really be blamed for wanting to see the Pope's own words rather than what a Youtube video says Sheldon says Friedrich says the ultramontane newspapers of France say the Pope said?  It's basically the same standard you are applying to other questions where you have doubts. 

That I believe my insistence on wanting proper sources for a quote from the nineteenth century is more reasonable than your approach with regard to other matters is entirely besides the point...

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2013, 07:32:34 AM »

Yesh, I'll make it simple for you. I wont speak for all EO's but I'll speak for this one. There is plenty for an EO to criticize about Roman Catholicism without proof texting a broken quote here, or a nonsensical and historically invalid theory (trail of blood) there. We dont need tin-foil hats to criticize the Pope. We can use actual, real, historical evidence to do that.

PP

Gregory the Great

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »

I present this not as proof that it was said, but simply as a lead that can be followed up if anyone is interested.

I never meant to imply that the citation couldn't be verified: of course it's possible to check p. 59 of Sheldon's book to find the quote and look for further references.  But this post only highlights my problem.  The footnotes there give the French version of two quotes, one from the Bishop of Bordeaux, and another from "the Ultramontane papers of France"; but no where is it indicated which Ultramontane papers, or in what speech or document penned by the Bishop, instead we get another reference to another secondary source.  What are we going to find when we dig up Friedrich, Vat. Konzil, i. 498, 499?  Wouldn't it have been easier and more convincing to just find and cite the original source rather than sending you on this wild goose chase? 

Wish I'd have known that this would be the reaction before I spent a half hour looking the stuff up Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:06 AM »

That still leaves over a millenium to account for.

The problem is that we know the leaders and beliefs of the Church during the first 300 years.  So the Protestants have to explain why their leaders and beliefs are invisible for that millenium.

As for the Waldensians, their early catechism "The Noble Lesson" doesn't fully accord with Protestantism (there's an emphasis, for instance, on works), and their Bible is demonstrably dependent on the Vulgate of the Vatican, whence they came.

As for the trail of blood nonsense, it suffers the problem that the various heresies it tries to link across time would be at each other's throats as contemporaries.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 01:33:19 AM »

Nope.   Just buy things I need.

I found it interesting.   The inquisition, and how the Catholic church murdered other Christians in order to prevent the scriptures from being read in English.  Information on William Tyndale, and how the RC church persecuted him & executed him for his "wrongs".

I've read many times about Tyndale, and this documentary seems very credible to me on his life.  Although, his life was incredibly exciting in ways, running from place to place, barely escaping at times...

Also interesting in the documentary is also cited information on Constantine.  It's mostly post schism though, so it primarily deals with the RC church.
Btw, have you ever heard of the Douay-Rheims?
http://books.google.com/books?id=kofWAAAAMAAJ

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: