OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 11:06:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic discovering an Orthodox treasure  (Read 1454 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »

I've never heard of it being practiced anywhere inside or outside monasteries. Which monasteries you are talking about?

When I was not yet Orthodox, a couple invited me to St. Anthony's in Arizona (at least I'm pretty sure it was that one). They told me I would need to leave during some parts of the service. I never ended up going anyway.

Interesting. I wonder whether this is practice of US Ephraimite monasteries or private opinion of that specific couple.

"That specific group" follows the Athonite Typikon. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 10:28:51 AM »

Oh, we take her seriously.

We are not condoning she do something disrespectful or sacraliguous.

Believe me, we would all be ganging up on her if she showed the slightest disrespect.

However, she seems to be there because she likes what she is experiencing at the Divine Liturgy. God willing, she will like it so much that she will decide to stay.

All converts start somewhere.  She seems to have a genuine curiosity and admiration, and is not there to do any harm.

If God brought her to the church, who are we to bar her from the Church?

Until she does something to warrant hostility, or until the parish pastor deems otherwise, she is welcome to attend, hear God's Word, and experience a little bit of Heaven.  The priest is aware of who and what she is, and if he has no reservations about her praying quietly in the corner, why should we?

I agree. I recommend that our visitor read this article written by the beloved and brilliant Greek Bishop-emeritus of Pittsburgh, Metropolitan Maximos. He begins with this:
"Orthodoxy, a way of life, is known for its experiential approach to faith and doctrine."

http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith8038

I can not think of a better experiential way to learn about our Faith than by attending Liturgy with an open heart.

As my grandparents would have said, "Vitajte na nás" - basically meaning, we welcome you!
JMJCatholic

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 11:13:19 AM »

Thank you! And thank you for the link.  I'll visit the site.

Joanna

[/quote]

I agree. I recommend that our visitor read this article written by the beloved and brilliant Greek Bishop-emeritus of Pittsburgh, Metropolitan Maximos. He begins with this:
"Orthodoxy, a way of life, is known for its experiential approach to faith and doctrine."

http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith8038

I can not think of a better experiential way to learn about our Faith than by attending Liturgy with an open heart.

As my grandparents would have said, "Vitajte na nás" - basically meaning, we welcome you!
[/quote]
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »

Naturally visitors are always welcome. We had a gentleman in our parish who attended on a more or less regular basis for 10 years before being received into the Orthodox Church. We fondly referred to him as "the Oldest Living Catechumen."

The OP states up front that she has no intention (or presumably desire) to convert. I give her the respect of taking her at her word.

Not that this is what she is doing, but I personally would not attend a synagogue or a Buddhist or Hindu temple etc. (unless invited, or for a specific purpose, such as a funeral or wedding) out of mere curiosity, or to "see how they do it." Or to "incorporate aspects into my own spirituality." (as I often hear). That seems to me to be disrespectful.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Martyr Eugenia

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »

If God brought her to the church, who are we to bar her from the Church?

Welcome to Orthodoxy, the only faith where the members attack you if you demonstrate interest in it.  Grin

it helps us identify the tares

Dismissal of catechumen was included for some reasons. I suspect because of reasons mentioned here.

I think it was to protect non-orthodox believers of Christ from the pain of being barred from the Eucharist until some 'man' thought they were worthy enough. Frankly I like walking outside and sitting quietly with God, waiting.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »

Naturally visitors are always welcome. We had a gentleman in our parish who attended on a more or less regular basis for 10 years before being received into the Orthodox Church. We fondly referred to him as "the Oldest Living Catechumen."

The OP states up front that she has no intention (or presumably desire) to convert. I give her the respect of taking her at her word.

Not that this is what she is doing, but I personally would not attend a synagogue or a Buddhist or Hindu temple etc. (unless invited, or for a specific purpose, such as a funeral or wedding) out of mere curiosity, or to "see how they do it." Or to "incorporate aspects into my own spirituality." (as I often hear). That seems to me to be disrespectful.

While I understand what you are saying, and agree with you to a certain degree, the OP did post in the Converts Forum, not Other Topics, or Free For All, etc.

As a rule, I tend to be encouraging of individuals who might, even on the slightest of chances, actually convert.

Therefore, I find that it is better to err on the side of having them convert, rather than err on the side of dissuading them from possibly converting.

Joanna didn't say she was only attending services for merely a novelty experience.  In fact, she stated that she has conversed with the priest, is learning more and more, is on this Forum to learn even more, and asked for advice on reading materials on Orthodoxy.

All this points to a valid interest.  Perhaps a spark that needs to be fanned and encouraged, and not extinguished.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »

Dismissal of catechumen was included for some reasons. I suspect because of reasons mentioned here.

No.  The dismissal of catechumens took place because the non-baptized were not considered to be "prepared" to offer and receive the Eucharistic sacrifice.  They weren't "of the faithful", of the community of those who, through baptism, receive the grace of illumination.  It wasn't to dissuade people who might not yet be ready for "the big jump". 

I am guessing that the modern Byzantine form of this dismissal is an abridged version.  In the versions preserved in the Oriental traditions, it's not just the catechumens who are dismissed explicitly, but also "the penitents", "those possessed by devils and unclean spirits", "the unclean", "those of little faith", etc.  I don't know where this is really practiced anymore, but if you really followed the spirit of the dismissal, and not just the letter, I suppose that "coffee hour" would commence immediately for just about everyone.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »

Michal seems like he's the only one being honest in this thread, imo. He's the only one who has taken the OP's words seriously when she she says she doesn't want to convert. Everyone else is like "Suuuuuure you won't convert  Wink Wink Wink" and then they fill the thread with anecdotes proving the liturgy's magical attraction will make her convert or taking passive aggressive jabs at Catholicism. Seems manipulative and dishonest to me. Michal is the only one who is actually respecting the OP, the only one who believes her and who isn't treating her as a confused wanderer going through the standard "I'm in denial about wanting to convert" phase.

If the OP doesn't want to convert ever, so what?  That's between her and God.  As long as she's not sheep-stealing or causing a ruckus in the parish, what's our problem?  Certainly, no one is welcome anywhere if they are not welcome to enter a church to pray and learn in peace. 

As I read the first post, I didn't take it as a declaration that she had no intention of ever converting.  I read it as a question about the appropriateness of "an outsider" associating herself with the community without being a part of it.  Orthodoxy's a fairly intimidating religion for those who are not so familiar with it, and it's commendable that people want to go through the trouble of asking questions in advance in order to be respectful.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2013, 02:24:59 PM »

Dear Joanna,

Welcome to the octagon, whoops I mean the forum! 

You might like to visit this site:  http://ematins.org/matins.htm
You will find side-by-side Greek/English translations of the Matins service (which preceeds the Divine Liturgy).  There are also selected Vespers services.  The hymnogoraphy of the Church is wonderful.  With these translations, you would be able to follow along during the Matins and Vespers services. 

Love, elephant
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »

Michal seems like he's the only one being honest in this thread, imo. He's the only one who has taken the OP's words seriously when she she says she doesn't want to convert. Everyone else is like "Suuuuuure you won't convert  Wink Wink Wink" and then they fill the thread with anecdotes proving the liturgy's magical attraction will make her convert or taking passive aggressive jabs at Catholicism. Seems manipulative and dishonest to me. Michal is the only one who is actually respecting the OP, the only one who believes her and who isn't treating her as a confused wanderer going through the standard "I'm in denial about wanting to convert" phase.

If the OP doesn't want to convert ever, so what?  That's between her and God.  As long as she's not sheep-stealing or causing a ruckus in the parish, what's our problem?  Certainly, no one is welcome anywhere if they are not welcome to enter a church to pray and learn in peace. 

As I read the first post, I didn't take it as a declaration that she had no intention of ever converting.  I read it as a question about the appropriateness of "an outsider" associating herself with the community without being a part of it.  Orthodoxy's a fairly intimidating religion for those who are not so familiar with it, and it's commendable that people want to go through the trouble of asking questions in advance in order to be respectful.

That has nothing to do with my post. I was criticizing the manipulativeness and desperation for converts of the Orthodox, not Joanna.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
JMJCatholic

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »

That has nothing to do with my post. I was criticizing the manipulativeness and desperation for converts of the Orthodox, not Joanna.

Thank you, all,  for your understanding and support, the resources and suggestions.  This link is wonderful!  Just what I needed, Greek and English side by side.  Thank you so much!!

Joanna
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »

I've never heard of it being practiced anywhere inside or outside monasteries. Which monasteries you are talking about?

When I was not yet Orthodox, a couple invited me to St. Anthony's in Arizona (at least I'm pretty sure it was that one). They told me I would need to leave during some parts of the service. I never ended up going anyway.

Interesting. I wonder whether this is practice of US Ephraimite monasteries or private opinion of that specific couple.

"That specific group" follows the Athonite Typikon. 

I've never heard of Athonite monastery who expels non-Orthodox from their services. I admit though that I've never been there.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »

I'd also like to mention to EVERYONE that there are a number of saints who were converted just by walking BY a church.  They did not go into the church with the intent of being converted.  For example, St. Mary of Egypt comes to mind, as well as St. Anthony.  They were outside of the church when the gospel was being read.  Happened to be the same gospel, telling people to sell everything, pick up their cross & follow Christ.  They did not go into the church seeking converstion, yet that is exactly what they received, in a radical way. 

Just adding to the conversation. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2013, 02:55:23 PM »

Wow!  That's a great reminder.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:55:56 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2013, 04:41:04 PM »

Welcome to Orthodoxy, the only faith where the members attack you if you demonstrate interest in it.  Grin

it helps us identify the tares
“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’ ‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the tares, you may uproot the wheat with them'" (cf. Matt 13:24-30).

Silly Stars
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »

I'd also like to mention to EVERYONE that there are a number of saints who were converted just by walking BY a church.  They did not go into the church with the intent of being converted.  For example, St. Mary of Egypt comes to mind, as well as St. Anthony.  They were outside of the church when the gospel was being read.  Happened to be the same gospel, telling people to sell everything, pick up their cross & follow Christ.  They did not go into the church seeking converstion, yet that is exactly what they received, in a radical way. 

Just adding to the conversation. 

another

POST OF THE MONTH NOMINATION

keep them coming  Smiley

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2013, 11:27:17 PM »

Well, I'm sorry for the confusion.  I'm also sorry I don't see the manipulation and desperation for converts that you apparently observe. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: