OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:46:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic discovering an Orthodox treasure  (Read 1350 times) Average Rating: 0
JMJCatholic

Faith: Catholic

« on: May 28, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »

Hello,

I have recently (Paschatide) discovered the Greek Orthodox Church, and I have been attending Divine Liturgy there on Sunday and every possible opportunity.  I come from a Catholic background, and I had been attending a Traditional Latin Mass for many years, and it is no longer accessible to me.  I had to endure terrible liturgies in the new rite and was very disheartened.  God works in mysterious ways, as I have discovered the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom at a Greek Orthodox Church, and when there, it is a little bit of heaven on earth! 

I have many questions, and the wonderful priest at the church has been answering many of them.   I am sure I will learn more and more as I read these board.

Is there anything anyone can recommend to me as someone learning?  Would it be OK if I continue to attend services without an intention to convert?  I am made to feel very welcome, but I am unsure if there is an expectation that someone like myself who attends all services has the intention to convert.  I know that I can not receive any sacraments, but I am invited to partake of the blessed bread distributed after the Liturgy. 

Strangely enough, even though the Liturgy is so different from what I was accustomed to, and even though it is in a language I don't understand, I am so much at home there, and the hours fly by! 

Thank you!

Joanna
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »

Welcome to OC.net! Smiley

God, as you say, works in mysterious ways, and above all is patient. Take all the time you want to explore the Orthodox faith; nobody will (or should) press you into committing yourself. Get to know the priest and the people of the parish you attend - they will most likely be happy to answer questions, and so are we here, as well. Grin

If you're looking for recommended reading, Fr. Thomas Hopko's 'Rainbow series' is a good starting point.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »

Welcome!

Would it be OK if I continue to attend services without an intention to convert?  I am made to feel very welcome, but I am unsure if there is an expectation that someone like myself who attends all services has the intention to convert.  I know that I can not receive any sacraments, but I am invited to partake of the blessed bread distributed after the Liturgy.

It's absolutely okay to attend services as a non-Orthodox with no intention to convert. You should know that traditionally, non-Orthodox were dismissed during the second part of the Liturgy (the Liturgy of the Faithful, i.e. the Eucharist); this is still practiced in monasteries, but a regular parish should have no problem. I know that there are a few non-Orthodox members at my parish that have been attending for years and years.

When I began attending Orthodox services, I stated my views very plainly. I was an atheist, and I had no intention of converting. When catechism classes started, I had shed most of my atheistic beliefs, but I still wasn't prepared to make any commitments and I told the priest this. He simply replied that there is no expectation, and that I was welcome to come to the classes to learn.

Of course, God converted me to the Faith when the classes ended on Easter of this year. Smiley I would say that you should be open to the possibility of conversion, without any feeling of compulsion. You never know what will happen in your life, as I can attest. But let everything happen naturally, by God's will. I am sort of a rarity in that I jumped from a non-Christian tradition to Orthodoxy in only 1.5 years or so. For most people, the journey can be much longer, and doesn't always end at the Orthodox Church.

While I firmly believe that The Church is the fullness of the Faith, I also believe that as long as one is sincere and lives a life of prayer and repentance, God will take them where they need to be at the right time.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:44:42 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »

If you have no intentions of converting why to attend? To watch theatrical performance?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »

Is there anything anyone can recommend to me as someone learning?  Would it be OK if I continue to attend services without an intention to convert?  I am made to feel very welcome, but I am unsure if there is an expectation that someone like myself who attends all services has the intention to convert.

Go ahead. I attended EO services several years before conversion and I had no intention to convert at first. I just liked the services.

I know that I can not receive any sacraments, but I am invited to partake of the blessed bread distributed after the Liturgy.

Opinions vary on this. IMO the blessed bread is only for those who receive the Eucharist so I refrain from receiving the bread when I don't commune but there are other kind of opinions too.

Welcome to the forum. Smiley

If you have no intentions of converting why to attend?

God? Prayer? And the stuff like that.

It's absolutely okay to attend services as a non-Orthodox with no intention to convert. You should know that traditionally, non-Orthodox were dismissed during the second part of the Liturgy (the Liturgy of the Faithful, i.e. the Eucharist); this is still practiced in monasteries

I've never heard of it being practiced anywhere inside or outside monasteries. Which monasteries you are talking about?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:48:15 PM by Alpo » Logged

lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »

If you have no intentions of converting why to attend? To watch theatrical performance?

Michal, with all due respect, I don't think that this rhetorical question is very helpful. Perhaps he feels a holiness in the Liturgy and prefers it to the Novus Ordo masses that he tried attending?

Even if he were just attending for academic or "entertainment" purposes (which I sincerely doubt, since he's a practicing Catholic with a genuine yearning for God), that might just be the way through which God reaches him. I know that was the case for me.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »

I've never heard of it being practiced anywhere inside or outside monasteries. Which monasteries you are talking about?

When I was not yet Orthodox, a couple invited me to St. Anthony's in Arizona (at least I'm pretty sure it was that one). They told me I would need to leave during some parts of the service. I never ended up going anyway.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »

It's interesting, but I started attending EO services (specifically, the Saturday evening vigil) with precisely this intention: to enjoy a free, two hour choral music concert every weekend.  Eventually, the "prayer" outweighed the "performance", and my Saturday nights have never been the same.

God can start conflagrations with insignificant sparks.    

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »

When I was not yet Orthodox, a couple invited me to St. Anthony's in Arizona (at least I'm pretty sure it was that one). They told me I would need to leave during some parts of the service. I never ended up going anyway.

Interesting. I wonder whether this is practice of US Ephraimite monasteries or private opinion of that specific couple.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:04:11 PM by Alpo » Logged

TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 04:04:49 PM »

Opinions vary on this. IMO the blessed bread is only for those who receive the Eucharist so I refrain from receiving the bread when I don't commune but there are other kind of opinions too.

Really?  I never heard this.  In our parish, those who commune take handfuls of it and pass it out to catechumens, visitors, each other, etc.  

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »

IMHO, Orthodoxy grows on you.  While you may start going out of curiousity, eventually, you want to participate.  The entire service is designed to be participatory culminating in the Eucharist which is the highlight of participation.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »

Really?  I never heard this.  In our parish, those who commune take handfuls of it and pass it out to catechumens, visitors, each other, etc.  

Also many Finns encourage visitors to partake the blessed bread. But IIRC I have heard different opinions from both clergy and laymen alike.

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »

i agree. i took it for 3 years before being orthodox, and in the first few months was not attending in order to become orthodox.
just i knew that i knew God (didn't say i was humble!) and i wanted to see if they did too, which i thought they probably did.
i was checking them out to see if they were missing anything.
 Shocked
 Roll Eyes
 Sad
(didn't say anywhere that i was humble)

turned out that i was missing something, but it took me 2 years of visiting on average once a month to figure that out!
 Embarrassed
never mind, it ended well...
 Smiley
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Joanna.  I think it's wonderful that you are attending the Divine Liturgy, and as others have stated, you should feel no compulsion to do anything.  Just make sure that you struggle to remain true to yourself and to God's will for you; that is all that any Christian can be asked to do.  I find you story quite inspiring, so thank you.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »

This past Sunday the priest at the Greek Parish I attended recommended "Introducing the Orthodox Church: Its Faith and Life" by Anthony Coniaris.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »

Really?  I never heard this.  In our parish, those who commune take handfuls of it and pass it out to catechumens, visitors, each other, etc.

I've always been taught that the antidoron is both a ritual breaking of the fast and a small consolation for those who, for whatever reason, have not communed (anti doron = instead of the Gifts). People take extra pieces (from a basket that comes out at the end, not the platter next to the chalice) to take home for family who could not attend.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:15:45 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »

It's absolutely okay to attend services as a non-Orthodox with no intention to convert. You should know that traditionally, non-Orthodox were dismissed during the second part of the Liturgy (the Liturgy of the Faithful, i.e. the Eucharist); this is still practiced in monasteries

You mean at the "Catechumens depart!" before the Great Entrance?  My parish does that, or should I say, our catechumens leave at that point and go study something.  They're not "obligated to", but some catechumens left around 15 years ago and it has stuck around ever since.
JMJCatholic

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »

Thank you, everyone, for your welcome and kind replies.  Michal, why would you assume that I have such shallow intentions?  I have learned that the Catholic Church is not the only source of the graces that flow from the liturgy, that my own religion acknowledges the apostolic succession and validity of the Orthodox, and for this and many other reasons, some unknown even to me, I am delighted to have been led to, not a theatrical performance, but a fuller expression of my faith than I have available to me in the Novus Ordo Mass.

Joanna
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »

I have known folk attend the services who are curious, maybe simply accompany another family member and little by little their attendance takes on a deeper meaning for them. Yes, and others who love theatre and have to rush off quickly because there is a hierarchical Divine Liturgy at the nearby Greek cathedral. Conversation soon reveals this person's Sunday is a series of Church services across the capital. Eccentric certainly and, perhaps, sad too. However who knows when a seed might be sown or how it might grow?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:36:28 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »

Michal, with all due respect, I don't think that this rhetorical question is very helpful. Perhaps he feels a holiness in the Liturgy and prefers it to the Novus Ordo masses that he tried attending?

Even if he were just attending for academic or "entertainment" purposes (which I sincerely doubt, since he's a practicing Catholic with a genuine yearning for God), that might just be the way through which God reaches him. I know that was the case for me.

I know "God works in mysterious ways" and you are not the only one example of that.

On the other hand I cannot really say I personally like the idea of "sympathizers of Orthodoxy" (I do not like this term either) who visit Orthodox churches to "experience the ecumenism", "enrich spiritual life", "enjoy the beauty of Orthodox Liturgy", "for curiosity" and other various reasons I've heard that are not tied with at least considering a possibility of conversion. I do not deny their good intentions but I do not like the idea either of Orthodox Christianity being some cultural phenomena to be elucidated, artistic performance to be enjoyed or spiritual buffet to choose things you like and mix with other meals. I do not treat other religions like that and would like others do not treat mine this way.

I am aware it is an isolated opinion.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JMJCatholic

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »

I know "God works in mysterious ways" and you are not the only one example of that.

On the other hand I cannot really say I personally like the idea of "sympathizers of Orthodoxy" (I do not like this term either) who visit Orthodox churches to "experience the ecumenism", "enrich spiritual life", "enjoy the beauty of Orthodox Liturgy", "for curiosity" and other various reasons I've heard that are not tied with at least considering a possibility of conversion. I do not deny their good intentions but I do not like the idea either of Orthodox Christianity being some cultural phenomena to be elucidated, artistic performance to be enjoyed or spiritual buffet to choose things you like and mix with other meals. I do not treat other religions like that and would like others do not treat mine this way.

I can understand and respect what you are saying.  I am not one of those that you describe.  Smiley  I know of people who will "convert" to another religion without much thought for reasons more to do with convenience or things you mention than faith. 

Thanks, again, for the responses and suggestions.  I'll keep checking back. 

Joanna
Servos

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Belgrade

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »

Is there anything anyone can recommend to me as someone learning? 

Dear Joanna, I recommend you to hear Metropolitan Kallistos Ware and priest Thomas Hopko.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kallistos+ware&oq=kall&gs_l=youtube.1.0.35i39l2j0l8.1474.2996.0.3974.4.4.0.0.0.0.145.518.0j4.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.isqvZIBw3kk

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/mother_churches/primacy_and_the_pope
http://ancientfaith.com/specials/lectures_by_metropolitan_kallistos_ware
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/cambridge/passion_enemy_or_friend
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/cambridge/divine_passion_does_god_suffer
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/cambridge/the_neo_patristic_synthesis
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/cambridge/the_sources_of_theology
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/cambridge/what_is_theology
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/165_metropolitan_kallistos_ware_on_the_record
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/a_conversation_with_met_kallistos_ware_on_the_sacramental_life

http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko
JMJCatholic

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »

Thank you, Servos, for the links.

Joanna
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »

Dear Joanne,

I too discovered a treasure in Orthodox Christianity. I stayed, they conquered.
Within three years, I was received into Holy Orthodox.

To Michal:
Some Roman Catholics attend a Greek Orthodox Divine Liturgy because it is so awesome.
Catholics are taught to respect the Orthodox Christian Divine Liturgy because Christ is truly present in the Eucharist. I have seen quite a few Catholics come before the Divine Liturgy during Orthros just to light candles because they do not have candles in many Roman Catholic Churches, instead they have those artificial lights where you place a quarter for 25 minutes of electricity.  Roll Eyes They want the real thing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:57:27 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »

I can respect that. However, I would again point out that these reasons, while not ideal, might be what begins someone's conversion.

I think you're speaking out against the larger problem of religious pluralism and cultural relativism. I am pretty revolted by the idea that someone feels entitled to mix and match various spiritual traditions into their own religion (or sampling from the "spiritual buffet," as you put it) but that is sadly the spirit of this age. Fortunately, it does appear that God works through these postmodernist sensibilities to bring people to a genuine understanding of The Faith.
JMJCatholic

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »

Lord have mercy. What a terrible response, Michal!

Some Roman Catholics attend a Greek Orthodox Divine Liturgy because it is so awesome.
Catholics are taught to respect the Orthodox Christian Divine Liturgy because Christ is truly present in the Eucharist. I have seen quite a few Catholics come before the Divine Liturgy during Orthros just to light candles because they do not have candles in many Roman Catholic Churches, instead they have those artificial lights where you place a quarter for 25 minutes of electricity.  Roll Eyes They want the real thing.

Thank you, Maria!  I think you understand  Smiley
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

I am not one of those that you describe.  

IMO that:

I have learned that the Catholic Church is not the only source of the graces that flow from the liturgy, that my own religion acknowledges the apostolic succession and validity of the Orthodox, and for this and many other reasons, some unknown even to me, I am delighted to have been led to, not a theatrical performance, but a fuller expression of my faith than I have available to me in the Novus Ordo Mass.

fits into the "buffet" thing. You try mixing your Church's teachings with Orthodox liturgical life. I think you should try attending some Eastern Catholic parish instead.

Again, I'd like to repeat it's my personal opinion that does not represent the Orthodox Church or opinions of the majority of Orthodox faithful.

All of this reasons are IMO not worthy to attend Liturgy and well represent what I am against to.

I can respect that. However, I would again point out that these reasons, while not ideal, might be what begins someone's conversion.

I think you're speaking out against the larger problem of religious pluralism and cultural relativism. I am pretty revolted by the idea that someone feels entitled to mix and match various spiritual traditions into their own religion (or sampling from the "spiritual buffet," as you put it) but that is sadly the spirit of this age. Fortunately, it does appear that God works through these postmodernist sensibilities to bring people to a genuine understanding of The Faith.

That's why I'm split a bit.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:01:58 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 05:03:22 PM »

While I understand your fascination for Byzantine rite you might want to know there are also some EO monasteries and parishes who use Roman rite. You might want to visit one if there is any of those somewhere near you.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »

I became sick with pneumonia and was running a high fever of 105 degrees F for five days. Cipro did not stop the fever. I could not keep hydrated even though I was pushing the liquids and they were giving me IVs. I was sweating constantly as my fever went from 105 to 99 and then immediately back to 105.

The doctor told my husband that he did not think I would make it. We were very distraught about the innovations and constant liturgical revolutions here in the Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, plus my son did not like all the sexual predator coverups, so we prayed earnestly, and made a promise to Christ that we would visit a Greek Orthodox Church if I were saved. The doctors then called to give me a new drug just on the market, and my fever left me within two days.

One visit, and we were hooked. We felt like we were truly entering heavenly worship with all the angels and saints surrounding us.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JMJCatholic

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »

I became sick with pneumonia and was running a high fever of 105 degrees F for five days. Cipro did not stop the fever. I could not keep hydrated even though I was pushing the liquids and they were giving me IVs. I was sweating constantly as my fever went from 105 to 99 and then immediately back to 105.

The doctor told my husband that he did not think I would make it. We were very distraught about the innovations and constant liturgical revolutions here in the Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, plus my son did not like all the sexual predator coverups, so we prayed earnestly, and made a promise to Christ that we would visit a Greek Orthodox Church if I were saved. The doctors then called to give me a new drug just on the market, and my fever left me within two days.

One visit, and we were hooked. We felt like we were truly entering heavenly worship with all the angels and saints surrounding us.

What a beautiful and inspiring story! Thank you for sharing it.

I have a heavenly experience at the Greek Orthodox Church, and I can't wait to go back each time.  Tomorrow there will be a liturgy for Mid-Pentecost, and I am so looking forward to it.

I would ask Michal if he thinks that one must be born into the Orthodox Church.  It seems this way because otherwise how would someone convert without having experienced the Liturgy as a catechumen?

Joanna
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »

I would ask Michal if he thinks that one must be born into the Orthodox Church.  It seems this way because otherwise how would someone convert without having experienced the Liturgy as a catechumen?

By experiencing Liturgy as a serious inquirer or cathechumen, not from prolonged visitting.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »

By experiencing Liturgy as a serious inquirer or cathechumen, not from prolonged visitting.
Michał, you are being unfair to the OP. People are drawn into Orthodoxy for any number of reasons - even very trivial ones. I don't understand why you are trying to discourage someone from experiencing the beauty of our liturgical services. Let me remind you of St Vladimir who listened to his envoys who declared that they didn't know whether they were in heaven or on earth when they visited Constantinople. He converted without even experiencing Orthodoxy himself - but merely on hearing of its beauty! That's what drew him in, and he ultimately accepted Orthodoxy in its fullness.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »

Let me remind you of St Vladimir who listened to his envoys who declared that they didn't know whether they were in heaven or on earth when they visited Constantinople. He converted without even experiencing Orthodoxy himself - but merely on hearing of its beauty! That's what drew him in, and he ultimately accepted Orthodoxy in its fullness.

He had had intention of converting before he send them there.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »

Let me remind you of St Vladimir who listened to his envoys who declared that they didn't know whether they were in heaven or on earth when they visited Constantinople. He converted without even experiencing Orthodoxy himself - but merely on hearing of its beauty! That's what drew him in, and he ultimately accepted Orthodoxy in its fullness.

He had had intention of converting before he send them there.
You mean like he had the intention of converting to Islam or Judaism when he sent envoys to those people?

Also, please reread the OP. JMJCatholic clearly states that she is wanting to learn. She does not rule out the possibility of becoming Orthodox, but wants to know how soon the intention of converting ought to be declared. Most of us who converted from heterodoxy had the same questions. If I had been quizzed about my intentions on my first visit, it almost certainly would have been the last.
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »

It is saddening to see the negative comments. People attend our services for all sorts of reasons. Welcoming them without pressure is surely neighbourly? More than one priest has said in my hearing that the celebrating of church services is in itself a missionary activity.
JMJCatholic

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »

This past Sunday the priest at the Greek Parish I attended recommended "Introducing the Orthodox Church: Its Faith and Life" by Anthony Coniaris.

Thank you.  I found this available at the library, and I requested it.

Joanna
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »

Welcome Joanna - to the Forum and to Orthodoxy.  I hope you find both irresistible and decide to call them both "home".

Excuse, Michal.  He's just being overly protective.  While I understand the root of his comments - fear of non-Orthodox coming in and diluting, or demanding changes to, or taking lightly the Divine Liturgy, I feel he is going about it the wrong way.

We are instructed to go and spread the Word, not hide it from others.  To be the Light to the world, to let our Light shine before all men, etc.

Please, do not let his comments dissuade you from attending services.  If the parish priest has no issues with you being there, than nobody else should, either.  It's his parish, his flock, and his to protect.

Once again, welcome to the Forum!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:17:21 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
JMJCatholic

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 10:49:17 PM »

Thank you so much, Liza.  I really appreciate your warm welcome and encouraging words.  I have discovered a whole new world, and I have the deepest awe and reverence for the Orthodox, so Michal need not worry about me  Wink.
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2013, 03:58:08 AM »

Welcome Joanna - to the Forum and to Orthodoxy.  I hope you find both irresistible and decide to call them both "home".

Excuse, Michal.  He's just being overly protective.  While I understand the root of his comments - fear of non-Orthodox coming in and diluting, or demanding changes to, or taking lightly the Divine Liturgy, I feel he is going about it the wrong way.

We are instructed to go and spread the Word, not hide it from others.  To be the Light to the world, to let our Light shine before all men, etc.

Please, do not let his comments dissuade you from attending services.  If the parish priest has no issues with you being there, than nobody else should, either.  It's his parish, his flock, and his to protect.

Once again, welcome to the Forum!!!

Amen to that.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 04:26:03 AM »

Michal seems like he's the only one being honest in this thread, imo. He's the only one who has taken the OP's words seriously when she she says she doesn't want to convert. Everyone else is like "Suuuuuure you won't convert  Wink Wink Wink" and then they fill the thread with anecdotes proving the liturgy's magical attraction will make her convert or taking passive aggressive jabs at Catholicism. Seems manipulative and dishonest to me. Michal is the only one who is actually respecting the OP, the only one who believes her and who isn't treating her as a confused wanderer going through the standard "I'm in denial about wanting to convert" phase.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 07:51:58 AM »

Oh, we take her seriously.

We are not condoning she do something disrespectful or sacraliguous.

Believe me, we would all be ganging up on her if she showed the slightest disrespect.

However, she seems to be there because she likes what she is experiencing at the Divine Liturgy. God willing, she will like it so much that she will decide to stay.

All converts start somewhere.  She seems to have a genuine curiosity and admiration, and is not there to do any harm.

If God brought her to the church, who are we to bar her from the Church?

Until she does something to warrant hostility, or until the parish pastor deems otherwise, she is welcome to attend, hear God's Word, and experience a little bit of Heaven.  The priest is aware of who and what she is, and if he has no reservations about her praying quietly in the corner, why should we?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 08:07:40 AM »

Welcome to Orthodoxy, the only faith where the members attack you if you demonstrate interest in it.  Grin

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 08:40:33 AM »

Dismissal of catechumen was included for some reasons. I suspect because of reasons mentioned here.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »

Dismissal of catechumen was included for some reasons. I suspect because of reasons mentioned here.

Exactly! 

However, that is why I stated that if the parish priest, knowing who and what she is, has no issues, and is not asking her to step out, than who are we to tell her she needs to?

In all honesty, I'm curious if any regular (non-monastic) parishes actually enforce that the not baptized Orthodox individuals, actually leave at that point.

I know in the U.S., a not predominantly Orthodox nation, there are often mixed couples who come together.  On any given Sunday, you will find Roman Catholics, Greek Catholics, and Orthodox at my parish.  Some days we even have Protestants.

For the funeral of my uncle, my coworkers came....in addition to the usual mix, there were Baptists, Jews, Hindus and Muslims.  They stood for the entire Liturgy and funeral service.

—St. Isaac of Syria
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »

I feel the same way. But also about other faith communities, as well. It has always seemed almost "condescending" or disrespectful when people who are not Jewish hold seders or people who are not Native American go to sweat lodges.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: