OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:55:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metr. Ware's accent  (Read 2482 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2013, 01:52:51 PM »

^I remember watching latest James Bond movie and thinking that it is fairly obvious that this isn't an American film. AFAIK American movie heroes tend to be a lot more casual than Bond is.

88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »

^I remember watching latest James Bond movie and thinking that it is fairly obvious that this isn't an American film. AFAIK American movie heroes tend to be a lot more casual than Bond is.

I find American heroes to be much more cowboy & action-oriented than non-American heroes. I almost wonder if they've amped up Bond from the books just to make it more appealing to Americans.

Also, I found that while I was in Greece, I had to clean up my English in order to be understood. Apparently I would mumble, slur my speech and draw things out (I guess a feature of some parts of Missouri), so I started trying to clean my speech up, and actually had two Greeks tell me they didn't think I was American because I was so easily understandable and didn't have a strong accent.

I also met a Greek-American girl who lives in Greece now who runs a salon, I was sent there for a haircut. It was funny how both of us started out with cleaner speech, and then fell back into our natural accents, me into my Western Missouri accent, her to her New York/New Jersey accent.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:18:48 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »

Also, could anyone imagine Darth Vader with his accent? http://youtu.be/YSm9DDxQv8E

James Earl Jones' voice has the same range and similar timbre to Christopher Lee's. Casting is not accidental. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »

Also, could anyone imagine Darth Vader with his accent? http://youtu.be/YSm9DDxQv8E

James Earl Jones' voice has the same range and similar timbre to Christopher Lee's. Casting is not accidental. Wink

? That is David Prowse, the actor for Darth Vader, whose voice was dubbed over with Jones'.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »

? That is David Prowse, the actor for Darth Vader, whose voice was dubbed over with Jones'.

I feel kinda sorry for him. He was just a dummy for the costume - because the face we see at the end of Episode VI is Sebastian Shaw's (in the original version, before Hayden Christensen was airbrushed in).

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 03:02:19 AM »

Archimandrite Irenei Steenberg: http://youtu.be/AZX7PmxtLxU

Umm, Devin, Archim. Irenei is actually American, who became an Oxford don. He's now at St Tikhon's Seminary. Fr Irenei's accent is a hybrid, and not something that anyone could call "British" or "English".
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 03:07:26 AM »

I feel kinda sorry for him. He was just a dummy for the costume - because the face we see at the end of Episode VI is Sebastian Shaw's (in the original version, before Hayden Christensen was airbrushed in).

Have you heard David Prowse speaking Darth Vader's lines? Footage prior to sound editing exists of this. Hilarious. No surprise at all that his voice was dubbed. Mr Prowse simply couldn't compete with Mr Jones in the vocal department.

Aboyt 30 years ago, a radio play version of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back was produced. The voice of Darth Vader was provided by Brock Peters, a black actor with a voice just as compelling and evocative as that of James Earl Jones.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:09:01 AM by LBK » Logged
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2013, 03:54:50 AM »

An example of exaggerated Received Pronunciation (RP) would be beautifully illustrated by the British art critic, Brian Sewell.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »

Have you heard David Prowse speaking Darth Vader's lines? Footage prior to sound editing exists of this. Hilarious. No surprise at all that his voice was dubbed. Mr Prowse simply couldn't compete with Mr Jones in the vocal department.

Aboyt 30 years ago, a radio play version of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back was produced. The voice of Darth Vader was provided by Brock Peters, a black actor with a voice just as compelling and evocative as that of James Earl Jones.

Brock Peters does have an excellent voice.  SOme of his most famous credits, for those who don't know, were:
1) Admiral Cartwright in Star Treks IV and VI
2) Captain Sisko's father in Star Trek: DS9
3) Tom Robinson in the screen version of "To Kill a Mockingbird"

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »

Archimandrite Irenei Steenberg: http://youtu.be/AZX7PmxtLxU

Umm, Devin, Archim. Irenei is actually American, who became an Oxford don. He's now at St Tikhon's Seminary. Fr Irenei's accent is a hybrid, and not something that anyone could call "British" or "English".

Wow, I didn't know that. I know a guy that is American and spent a few years in the UK and now has an English accent.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:26:41 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »

Dialect is rather unimportant.  Clarity of pronunciation, OTOH...that being said, I can't stand women with English accents, but have an affinity for a woman with an Irish or Scottish accent/dialect.  I think Americans make a bigger deal on dialect/accent variations than any other nationality on Earth.  And I'm from the South (kind of an adopted Appalachian hillbilly; I love it!), so take what you will from this reply.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »

Not too sure one may speak of an English, Irish or American accent. In each case there are similarities and differences. In Ireland a Cork accent is different from that of Wexford, Dublin or Belfast. In England accents vary across the country, only television soaps seeming to bring about hybrid speech patterns. Americans from one area may speak very differently from another.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 08:32:51 AM »

Not too sure one may speak of an English, Irish or American accent. In each case there are similarities and differences. In Ireland a Cork accent is different from that of Wexford, Dublin or Belfast. In England accents vary across the country, only television soaps seeming to bring about hybrid speech patterns. Americans from one area may speak very differently from another.

You are correct, of course, and I should have know better having studied linguistics in English and Spanish.  The best specificity I can come up with would be a London accent (even then, different neighborhoods have different dialect/accents, i.e. West Ham vs. Chelsea).  Mass media (TV/internet) assists in the continued stereotypes of people's dialects.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2013, 09:44:36 AM »

My dislike is for slovenly speech and/poor diction. This simply because it disrupts the flow of communication. Different accents, speeds of speech and dialect words and phrases may be a struggle but can be overcome with increasing familiarity or sub-titles.

I enjoy listening to West Country accents and sometimes the tales I hear spoken in them. Around here exist both Birmingham and Black Country accents, not considered by too many as attractive. However I am minded to recall that it is thought that William Shakespeare's speech would sounded nearer these looked down upon accents than the socially upmarket tones of Received Pronunciation.

The variety and richness of regional variations, dialects and vocabulary is, I feel, exciting. Sadly, television's long arm appears to rob us little by little of such richness.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »

The variety and richness of regional variations, dialects and vocabulary is, I feel, exciting. Sadly, television's long arm appears to rob us little by little of such richness.

Hear, hear.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »

I hope you guys all realize that someone's dialect does not say anything about his intelligence. It might say something about his education level, ethnic or social background, or political stance.

Sure it does.. It is not always accurate, but it does convey a sense of class.

A high British accent conveys upper class and education and a cockney accent does the opposite.

I had a friend who worked for Booze Allen. She had a syrupy Southern Accent being from Georgia. She had to take voice/accent lessons in order to be taken seriously as a Professional..  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:24:27 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »

I hope you guys all realize that someone's dialect does not say anything about his intelligence. It might say something about his education level, ethnic or social background, or political stance.

A high Oxford accent conveys upper class and education and a cockney accent does the opposite.

I had a friend who worked for Booze Allen. She had a syrupy Southern Accent being from Georgia. She had to take voice/accent lessons in order to be taken seriously as a Professional.. 

I'd prefer a Georgia girl to an Oxford girl any day of the week though.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »

A high Oxford accent conveys upper class and education and a cockney accent does the opposite.

I'd prefer a Georgia girl to an Oxford girl any day of the week though.

Only if she looked like Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolias as well. Wink

Jonathan Gress
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »

A high British accent conveys upper class and education and a cockney accent does the opposite.

Sure it does what? Sure it conveys intelligence? The answer to that is no. And class is not intelligence. I thought as a leftie you'd know that.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 11:06:01 AM »

I recall visiting a day centre for people with a wide range of disabilities. On arrival a man with a rich cultured voice and dressed to match greeted me and asked if could help me. He did so in the most polished manner. Intelligence? He had Down's syndrome and a IQ of less than 70. What he did have was parents who were successful medical practitioners and an upbringing to match. In other words he had most, if not all, the marks of someone from the English upper middle class.

And unlike many who had the blessing of greater intelligence but not the same social advantages I understood every word he said, and each was appropriately used.

No, social hierarchy and intelligence are not one and the same.  Wink
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »

I do not think it's English vs. American thing. I myself use American accent since it's easier to pronounce (but less pleasant to hear). He just seemed to be VERY observant. Not sure what was the reason. Any ideas?

One acquaintance of mine said it was an Oxford/univeristy manner but I would like to confirm it.

Met. Ware was educated in a time when there was emphasis on acquiring proper RP (Received Pronunciation, the kind you hear in old BBC productions). Plus, lecturers learn how to project clearly, in order to be understood by everyone in the audience. Elocution techniques, mainly.

When assigned to NATO, I worked for a UK Colonel. I understood him perfectly; it turned out he had received proper education and eschewed English dialects that can be unintelligible. That was the case when I spent an overnight in London; I could not understand most of the Londoners--half mumbled and the other half spoke with a Cockney accent. The same happens in American English; the standard is Midwestern, but some regional dialects are unfortunately lionized for various (unpersuasive) reasons.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:12:08 AM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2013, 11:17:07 AM »

I do not think it's English vs. American thing. I myself use American accent since it's easier to pronounce (but less pleasant to hear). He just seemed to be VERY observant. Not sure what was the reason. Any ideas?

One acquaintance of mine said it was an Oxford/univeristy manner but I would like to confirm it.

Met. Ware was educated in a time when there was emphasis on acquiring proper RP (Received Pronunciation, the kind you hear in old BBC productions). Plus, lecturers learn how to project clearly, in order to be understood by everyone in the audience. Elocution techniques, mainly.

When assigned to NATO, I worked for a UK Colonel. I understood him perfectly; it turned out he had received proper education and eschewed English dialects that can be unintelligible. That was the case when I spent an overnight in London; I could not understand most of the Londoners--half mumbled and the other half spoke with a Cockney accent. The same happens in American English; the standard is Midwestern, but some regional dialects are unfortunately lionized for various (unpersuasive) reasons.
The Ohio Valley accent is neutral and easily understood by all, which is why newscasters use it and have made it the standard.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:17:31 AM by hecma925 » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »

Sure it does what? Sure it conveys intelligence? The answer to that is no. And class is not intelligence. I thought as a leftie you'd know that.

Follow along.. Certain accents convey the class you belong to. Hence, many people make assumptions about your level of education and similar things. Do you really think that is not so?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »

But he was amazing. He even had a vibrant 'r'.

Did he changed his pronunciation to make easier for barbarians to understand him or is there some else explanation?

There are many types of British accents, I know his R rolling is not standard British English though. Maybe it's an effect of his Greek language or something. I know my Spanish-Arabic-Greek accent interferes with my English R and D.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »

Poppy

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: