OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 05:11:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metr. Ware's accent  (Read 2291 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: May 27, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »

A fortnight or so I had an opportunity (for the 2nd time) to hear his lecture and I was astonished I could understand 99.(9)% of what he was saying. Most English I hear in the movies sounds like they have some food in their mouth and I can understand no more than 3/4 of what is said. But he was amazing. He even had a vibrant 'r'.

Did he changed his pronunciation to make easier for barbarians to understand him or is there some else explanation?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:55:48 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »

I don't know but Met. Ware has an amazing accent. Very pleasing to listen to.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:55:42 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »

British accent is lovely  Grin
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »

Most English I hear in the movies sounds like they have some food in their mouth and I can understand no more than 3/4 of what is said.

American English.

I LOVE Metr. Ware's accent.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:58:54 PM by Alpo » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »

Most English I hear in the movies sounds like they have some food in their mouth and I can understand no more than 3/4 of what is said.

American English.

I do not think it's English vs. American thing. I myself use American accent since it's easier to pronounce (but less pleasant to hear). He just seemed to be VERY observant. Not sure what was the reason. Any ideas?

One acquaintance of mine said it was an Oxford/univeristy manner but I would like to confirm it.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »

I do not think it's English vs. American thing. I myself use American accent since it's easier to pronounce (but less pleasant to hear). He just seemed to be VERY observant. Not sure what was the reason. Any ideas?

One acquaintance of mine said it was an Oxford/univeristy manner but I would like to confirm it.

Met. Ware was educated in a time when there was emphasis on acquiring proper RP (Received Pronunciation, the kind you hear in old BBC productions). Plus, lecturers learn how to project clearly, in order to be understood by everyone in the audience. Elocution techniques, mainly.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »

I love his voice. He could read stuff out of the phone book and it would be fine with me. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »

American English.

I do not think it's English vs. American thing.

I was talking about the movies. As for the Metr. Kallistos, I think it has something to do with his education.

I feel sorry for all the Britons. You have a great language but most of the Word ruin it with terrible accents and bad grammar.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »

I'm willing to hear more about that 'RP' stuff.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »

The wiki is a good place to start. Although it's heavy on the linguistic stuff.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:56:44 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »

he is probably dead posh.
only really posh people speak like that, and they are very few in the uk.
i actually only met one person who spoke like that before and that was an awful headmaster at school who upset me many times.
so, unfortunately i have to read his writings as i can't listen to him!
he just sounds like someone making fun of a very extremely posh accent and i feel like i should laugh when i listen!
his writings are very good, i just hope i don't hear him give a lecture live, at least till i got over the shock about the accent and practiced many times listening at home without laughing.

by the way, i feel similarly about texas accents. there was some preacher my friend was listening to on the internet and i nearly laughed coz i thought he was joking! i didn't realise there were real people who speak like in the cowboy movies, i thought it was all a joke!

in case u wondered, lots of people laugh at my accent, coz i pick up a bit of an accent from everyone i meet, and as most of my friends don't speak very good english, i sound like an indian who was imprisoned in egypt for many years and then lived for at least 20 years in eastern europe without any access to english speaking people.
 Wink
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 06:11:55 PM »

I was talking about the movies. As for the Metr. Kallistos, I think it has something to do with his education.

I feel sorry for all the Britons. You have a great language but most of the Word ruin it with terrible accents and bad grammar.

I don't see how the American Midwestern accent is bad at all. I may be a bit biased since I'm on the borders of the Midwest, but I don't think it's substantively worse that Met. Kallistos' dialect. If you want bad English, look at Newfie (Canadian) English.

And honestly I've heard some dreadful, barely intelligible British English speakers before. I'm not sure what regions they're associated with, but they're practically the British equivalent to the American South. Someone may know what I'm referring to.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »

the dreadful british speakers are in all the regions!
we are the majority (the posh speakers, who actually sound great, i was not totally serious above are the minority) and we don't always understand each other, and we think it's really funny.
 Tongue
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »

For non-native speakers, especially if you've learned English from books, it helps to hear English spoken in a style that corresponds more to the written form. Met Kallistos uses a formal speaking style which does this, and this is part of traditional public speaking practice. The main thing is to avoid reducing or deleting unstressed vowels, or weakening or deleting consonants at the ends of syllables. Both of those make it much harder for non-native speakers to understand; the exception would be if you learn English entirely orally, by listening and speaking to people using casual or non-standard speaking styles.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »

And honestly I've heard some dreadful, barely intelligible British English speakers before. I'm not sure what regions they're associated with, but they're practically the British equivalent to the American South. Someone may know what I'm referring to.

By common consent, the worst British accent is Black Country (Brummies and thereabouts). Glaswegian accent is likely to require an interpreter, but at least it has a modicum of charm in its harshness (think Simon Pegg doing Scotty). Cheesy

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »

I love his voice. He could read stuff out of the phone book and it would be fine with me. Smiley

In small doses, yes.  Otherwise, it's better than Ambien.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »

Can someone link to him speaking so those of us who haven't heard him can do so?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »

By common consent, the worst British accent is Black Country (Brummies and thereabouts). Glaswegian accent is likely to require an interpreter, but at least it has a modicum of charm in its harshness (think Simon Pegg doing Scotty). Cheesy

laugh laugh laugh

Just don't tell a Scot or a Yorkshireman he has a bad accent. You'll be taking your pick from the shovels before you can blink.  Wink

The most detestable accent in English has to be Valley Girl, which has, sadly, infected the language in most countries where English is traditionally spoken. It's worse than Brummie, I assure you.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 07:45:56 PM »

Can someone link to him speaking so those of us who haven't heard him can do so?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHGtCHyBrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bq6XC6ZOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kW0JSPbuSY

Some short videos on interesting subjects. There are entire lectures available, ranging from 35min to over an hour long.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »

laugh laugh laugh

Just don't tell a Scot or a Yorkshireman he has a bad accent. You'll be taking your pick from the shovels before you can blink.  Wink

The most detestable accent in English has to be Valley Girl, which has, sadly, infected the language in most countries where English is traditionally spoken. It's worse than Brummie, I assure you.

I love both Scottish and Yorkshire accents. The Edinburgh brogue was, even to my untrained ears back in 1995 (my first trip to the UK), one of the most understandable dialects I had to deal with.

As for Valley Girl... my vote would actually go to Chav, but that has (d)evolved into a separate language. >_<

Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 07:51:37 PM »

A fortnight or so I had an opportunity (for the 2nd time) to hear his lecture and I was astonished I could understand 99.(9)% of what he was saying. Most English I hear in the movies sounds like they have some food in their mouth and I can understand no more than 3/4 of what is said. But he was amazing. He even had a vibrant 'r'.

Did he changed his pronunciation to make easier for barbarians to understand him or is there some else explanation?

I'm surprised to read this actually. Your written English is so good on here and on Facebook that I forget you are not a native speaker. But then reading and writing is easier than speaking and listening.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »

A British accent on an Orthodox hierarch seems to carry more authority.  Every time I hear fr. Meletios Webber, I just think "this guy must know everything."

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »

I hope you guys all realize that someone's dialect does not say anything about his intelligence. It might say something about his education level, ethnic or social background, or political stance.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 09:33:12 PM »

A British accent on an Orthodox hierarch seems to carry more authority.  Every time I hear fr. Meletios Webber, I just think "this guy must know everything."

Warning .... do not judge a man only by his accent.

Whereas I enjoy listening to Met. Kallistos Ware, I absolutely avoid Fr. Meletios Webber. Fr. Webber's first sermon I heard was my last.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:33:58 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »

I hope you guys all realize that someone's dialect does not say anything about his intelligence. It might say something about his education level, ethnic or social background, or political stance.

This frustrated my father when he did graduate Farsi work in New York, where his classmates initially treated him as if he were retarded purely because of his dialect. They changed their behavior once they realized otherwise, but still shameful.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 09:37:40 PM »

I'm well aware of that. Don't patronize me.

A British accent on an Orthodox hierarch seems to carry more authority.  Every time I hear fr. Meletios Webber, I just think "this guy must know everything."

Whereas I enjoy listening to Met. Kallistos Ware, I absolutely avoid Fr. Meletios Webber. Fr. Webber's first sermon I heard was my last.

Suum cuique.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:38:21 PM by scamandrius » Logged

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »

For non-native speakers, especially if you've learned English from books, it helps to hear English spoken in a style that corresponds more to the written form. Met Kallistos uses a formal speaking style which does this, and this is part of traditional public speaking practice. The main thing is to avoid reducing or deleting unstressed vowels, or weakening or deleting consonants at the ends of syllables. Both of those make it much harder for non-native speakers to understand; the exception would be if you learn English entirely orally, by listening and speaking to people using casual or non-standard speaking styles.

I agree.

I have heard Orthodox Christians pronounce resurrection as "res-rec-tion" or worse "rec-tion," which almost comes across as "erection." It is really important to avoid reducing or deleting the unstressed syllables.

Condescension is often pronounced as "con-den-sa-tion" or "con-cen-sion."
Condescension and condensation are two different words, yet they are often interchanged by readers who really should practice beforehand.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »

Suum cuique.

No, I am just holding my tongue. Go do some research on Fr. Webber. I honestly pray that he is not made a bishop in the OCA. That is all I will say on the matter. He is not in the same league as Met. Kallistos.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »

I agree.

I have heard Orthodox Christians pronounce resurrection as "res-rec-tion" or worse "rec-tion," which almost comes across as "erection." It is really important to avoid reducing or deleting the unstressed syllables.

Condescension and condensation are two different words, yet they are often interchanged by readers who really should practice beforehand.

Condescension is a horrible translation to use in the first place.  Fr. Meletios taught me that.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »

Suum cuique.

No, I am just holding my tongue. Go do some research on Fr. Webber. I honestly pray that he is not made a bishop in the OCA. That is all I will say on the matter. He is not in the same league as Met. Kallistos.

Why do you assume I haven't?  Because I don't agree with you?  Hell of a standard.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 10:40:06 PM »

Met. Ware was educated in a time when there was emphasis on acquiring proper RP (Received Pronunciation, the kind you hear in old BBC productions). Plus, lecturers learn how to project clearly, in order to be understood by everyone in the audience. Elocution techniques, mainly.
I was going to say he was taught to speak properly, but your explanation sounds better!
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 11:56:14 PM »

I wasn't talking to you personally. I'm sure you know everything.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 11:58:44 PM »

I agree.

Condescension is a horrible translation to use in the first place.  Fr. Meletios taught me that.

You've been taught by Father Meletios? Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 12:25:12 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHGtCHyBrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bq6XC6ZOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kW0JSPbuSY

Some short videos on interesting subjects. There are entire lectures available, ranging from 35min to over an hour long.

The retired Conservative parliamentarian Ann Widdecombe is another who is a delight to listen to, not only for the accent, but for her brilliant mastery of the English language. Her stint on the British TV series Grumpy Old Women was a treasury of wit, wisdom, and naked truth.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 07:39:36 AM »

More than you obviously.

I agree.

Condescension is a horrible translation to use in the first place.  Fr. Meletios taught me that.

You've been taught by Father Meletios? Lord have mercy.

Not personally, no.  But now it is time you laid your cards on the table and explain your opposition to him.  And you CAN do that in a way without resorting to name calling or other viciousness.  You can no longer hide behind "I'm going to hold my tongue" or other such cliches especially with your last comment towards me.  So, explain.

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 08:26:17 AM »

American English.

Yes, that is correct: his accent is called "Oxford".  When I lived in Ontario I was told that up until about 1970 in Ontario good choirs were taught to sing with an Oxford accent with a specific enunciation of the consonants and vowels.  Also the “r” which you noticed.  Also there used to be speech contests called “English Bible Reading” and contestants were required to read passages of the King James version of the Bible with an Oxford pronunciation. 

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »

Also there used to be speech contests called “English Bible Reading” and contestants were required to read passages of the King James version of the Bible with an Oxford pronunciation. 

Eargasm!
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »

I had the great honor of having lunch with Metropolitan Kallistos when he visited Atlanta. I could listen to that man talk for days - also he has a great sense of humor.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »

Met Ware does pretty good lullabies. I'm knocked out in 5 minutes.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »

More than you obviously.

Huh?
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »

Agreed. Such used to be the mark of a man or woman of good education and upbringing. The BBC in a headlong rush to be more 'of the people' eschewed Received Pronunciation in favour of regional accents and standards slipped. A voice I long liked listening to was the late Alistair Cooke, in his wireless broadcasts, 'Letters from America'. Another is the American, Bill Bryson, who is a favourite with my brothers too. It cannot be denied that together with a certain vocabulary it marked out those who 'belonged' and who 'didn't'.

Clear diction however is not limited to speakers who use RP, I have known those who are users of local dialects but unfamiliarity with the 'idioms' and usage of such dialects can make even the clearest speaker nigh unintelligible to a 'foreigner'. I use the term 'foreigner' in the sense of some dialect speakers, i.e. someone from the next village or beyond.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:32:53 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 01:05:19 PM »

Agreed. Such used to be the mark of a man or woman of good education and upbringing. The BBC in a headlong rush to be more 'of the people' eschewed Received Pronunciation in favour of regional accents and standards slipped. A voice I long liked listening to was the late Alistair Cooke, in his wireless broadcasts, 'Letters from America'. Another is the American, Bill Bryson, who is a favourite with my brothers too. It cannot be denied that together with a certain vocabulary it marked out those who 'belonged' and who 'didn't'.

Clear diction however is not limited to speakers who use RP, I have known those who are users of local dialects but unfamiliarity with the 'idioms' and usage of such dialects can make even the clearest speaker nigh unintelligible to a 'foreigner'. I use the term 'foreigner' in the sense of some dialect speakers, i.e. someone from the next village or beyond.

There are a lot of retired British citizens some of whom have become U.S. citizens where I live.
They all tell me that Britain has more accents than the USA with each city, village, or suburb having a distinct accent. It is so bad that those from the north cannot understand those from the south; those from the east cannot understand those from the west; and the distance on that island in the pond is not as great as that in China. The UK has certainly become a paradise for linguists who like to do research, but some fear that these diverse accents and dialects of English may be causing airplane crashes.

However, the Northern Cities dialect as heard in Chicago city taxi cab drivers can drive people nuts!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:07:52 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »

I listen to BBC frequently, and there is still a difference, modern BBC may not be using RP as much though.

(these aren't examples of RP, just various English accents)

Metropolitan Kallistos: http://youtu.be/3F7h-TStNd8

Archimandrite Irenei Steenberg: http://youtu.be/AZX7PmxtLxU

Fr. John Behr: http://youtu.be/Gy-gCEWh5-4

CS Lewis: http://youtu.be/JHxs3gdtV8A

JRR Tolkein: http://youtu.be/XR-4vMEiQ_U

Winston Churchill: http://youtu.be/MkTw3_PmKtc
(I can barely understand Churchill as an American)

David Cameron: http://youtu.be/6bZb2EGFIa4

Hugh Laurie interview with Craig Ferguson (love Craig's Scottish accent!): http://youtu.be/8YNRWRCGi0w

Harry Potter actors/actresses trying to speak with American accents: http://youtu.be/Xle3UpK5bq8
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:40:55 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »

He sounds like Emperor Palpatine to me.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2013, 01:44:37 PM »

He sounds like Emperor Palpatine to me.

I love how the vast majority of actors for the Empire were British, and the Rebels were mainly American. Of course, you had some masterful actors in the saga... Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee, Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing etc...
Also, could anyone imagine Darth Vader with his accent? http://youtu.be/YSm9DDxQv8E

It was kind of cool, when I played SWTOR, the Sith Empire's voice actors were all British, whereas the Republic's voice actors were mostly American.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:46:47 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: