OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:43:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about my conversion to Orthodoxy, but dont know where to start. help?  (Read 1093 times) Average Rating: 0
BVMFatima

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Church

« on: May 26, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »

I am a 16 year old convert to the Roman Catholic Church because for 3 years I studied the early Church which lead me to become a Catholic. After recently reading the early councils on the rejection of the filioque and other Catholic doctrines I have been convinced orthodoxy may be the true Church. I am not aloud to become Orthodox because my Mother will not let me, what should I do? Thanks and God Bless

All men are brothered In Jesus Christ

~ Pope Pius XII
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »

First of all, welcome to OC.net! Make yourself at home, we don't bite (too hard).

Second of all... do you have to make any decisions, like, tomorrow? Clashing with your mother would be counterproductive. Why don't you use the next couple of years to learn more about Orthodoxy - read, listen, participate here, attend services - and decide whether to go on and convert once you are legally an adult? Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
RehamG
Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »

Hello Fatima!

I will agree with the above poster, the journey to Orthodoxy doesn't have to and rarely happens overnight. Attend services, as this is the very best thing you can do, and maybe talk to the priest about this issue if you have a specific Church you go to. Cachecumen classes and the process can last for a while, although I am not there just yet I heard it isn't uncommon to last a year. There is so much you can learn and be involved in between now and legal age. Also you could take this time to visit different Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches to see which you prefer Smiley
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:04:39 PM by rebecca.ann » Logged

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
BVMFatima

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »

Hello Fatima!

I will agree with the above poster, the journey to Orthodoxy doesn't have to and rarely happens overnight. Attend services, as this is the very best thing you can do, and maybe talk to the priest about this issue if you have a specific Church you go to. Cachecumen classes and the process can last for a while, although I am not there just yet I heard it isn't uncommon to last a year. There is so much you can learn and be involved in between now and legal age. Also you could take this time to visit different Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches to see which you prefer Smiley

To be honest I read a lot about religion, and the Oriental Orthodox reject Jesus to also be Man, so I would go with the Byzantine East, thus Eastern Orthodoxy of the Greek Church ( or Russian). In thos time, I cannot visit a parish untill I can drive ofcorse. However, do you have any links where I can learn more about the Orthodox faith? Would I be considered Orthodox at heart or just Roman Catholic?

Thanks and God Bless

~ Pope Pius XII
BVMFatima

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »

Hello Fatima!

To be honest I read a lot about religion, and the Oriental Orthodox reject Jesus to also be Man, so I would go with the Byzantine East, thus Eastern Orthodoxy of the Greek Church ( or Russian). In thos time, I cannot visit a parish untill I can drive ofcorse. However, do you have any links where I can learn more about the Orthodox faith? Would I be considered Orthodox at heart or just Roman Catholic?

Thanks and God Bless

~ Pope Pius XII
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »

If you look around the site, you will find tons of links to helpful sites, but just to get you started:

Fr. Thomas Hopko's 'The Orthodox Faith' book series (check out the rest of the OCA site as well).
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Pravoslavie.ru
Ancient Faith Radio

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »

I don't think that you're correct about the non-Chalcedonians rejecting the humanity of Christ. However, for various reasons I do not sympathize with their rejection of Chalcedon (although I do admire much about them, especially for their faithfulness in the midst of such intense persecution).

Since your parents will not comply with your desire to convert, I would start by emailing a nearby priest and asking for his advice. He has probably dealt with something similar to this before, and he would be best suited to advise you on how to proceed.

Also, I was close to your age when I began to journey toward Orthodoxy. I was too afraid to talk to my parents about what I was going through, so I just waited until I graduated high school to start to take things into my own hands. I wouldn't advise that, though. I'm just overly non-confrontational.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »

You should take about 2-3 years to really think things through. (Conversion to Orthodoxy Christianity) ..
lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »

To be honest I read a lot about religion, and the Oriental Orthodox reject Jesus to also be Man, so I would go with the Byzantine East, thus Eastern Orthodoxy of the Greek Church ( or Russian).
Thanks and God Bless

As someone who is Eastern Orthodox, that's just not true. Our Oriental Orthodox brothers and sisters fully accept both the humanity and the divinity of Our Lord. Our theological differences have to do with how we reconcile Christ's two natures. We Eastern Orthodox proclaim that Christ has two distinct natures (a divine and a human), while our Oriental Orthodox brothers and sisters would proclaim that these two natures are united into a single nature (called miaphysitism). In recent years, some have argued that both theologies are compatible with one another, but this is not a universally accepted view.

With that said, welcome to the forums! I think you'd do well to take your time during the inquiry phase... establish a relationship with an Orthodox priest who you resonate with and tell him exactly what your thoughts and obstacles are. Hopefully, you'll be able to meet with him throughout your journey to discuss new issues as they arise. In the mean time, you can do plenty of research, but remember that God converts us through our hearts, not our minds. Continue to pray about any decisions you might find yourself compelled to make. Ask for the Lord's guidance through this time, and REMEMBER: Our God is a patient God. Don't rush it! This is a beautiful period of discovery and discernment.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »

Welcome, BVMFatima!

"Would I be considered Orthodox at heart or just Roman Catholic?"

I would think Orthodox at heart.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »

To be honest I read a lot about religion, and the Oriental Orthodox reject Jesus to also be Man, so I would go with the Byzantine East, thus Eastern Orthodoxy of the Greek Church ( or Russian).

When I was in seminary, I freaked out a classmate by telling him we OO believed that Jesus only appeared to be man, but was really a spirit, almost like a ghost.  If you tried to shake his hand, you'd really go through him like when you move your hand through a cloud of smoke.  Then I demonstrated by opening his right hand and having him spread his fingers out, and then moving my open hand, with fingers spread out, through the interdigital spaces.  You should've seen the horrified look on his face; white as a ghost (or as our non-human Jesus).  Tongue

Needless to say, it was a joke.  As others have said in this thread, we believe that Jesus Christ is true God and true man.  We have one way of expressing that truth, and the EO have another.  Many believe that this is a distinction without a difference, but many others believe there is a difference, and choose to side with one or the other camp.  It's up to you to study that issue if you choose and discern where you feel God is calling you, but when and if you do that, at least get the information straight.  Smiley

I would wait on converting until you're of "adult" age.  Conversion may be difficult for people close to you regardless, but at least by then they should recognize your freedom to make that choice and trust your ability to "know what you're doing".  I know someone who was in a similar situation: he wanted to convert, but his mother told him not to do it until he was 21.  Even though it grieved him at first, it worked out in the end...he even took a few more years to pray and study, and then he converted at 24, and it worked out.  God is patient, and knows your heart.  Follow Christ and let him lead you into the truth; but even he was subject to his parents in all things (cf. Lk. 2.51).    

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
BVMFatima

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 08:14:57 PM »

Thank you all for your advice, you all did a wonderful Job, may God Bless you and lead you into heaven with the blessed holy trinity.

To be honest I also now have fears about being Catholic because ever since I read sedevacantist articles and watched videos of the diamond Brothers, and even talking with them personally I feel I am going to hell. Then again I feel love in Catholicism.

Plus my family keeps critisizing the Church since they left it, and told me my priest was a pedofile to offend me. Then again I forgive them. I just wish I became Orthodox because it is also apostolic and nobody can really critisize it because nobody really knows about it. Search Roman Catholic on youtube and they are all very anti Catholic, saying we are pagans etc.

Anyway, God Bless!

~ Pope Pius XII
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »

Welcome to OC.net.

You've just converted to Roman Catholicism and now you're prepared to jump that ship for Orthodoxy?  Take some time for prayer and discernment and, most importantly, don't let this become fuel for you to clash with your  mother.

SPeaking of which, your parents were OK with you converting to Catholicism (I assume because that's part of your heritage), but why is the ORthodox so offensive to them, if you don't mind my asking.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »

Welcome to the forum BVMFatima.

Do not be afraid, because you have found what you have looking for.  As others have pointed out, now use this time to study the basics of Orthodox Christianity and try to get in contact with an Orthodox priest closest to you...so he can guide you on this wonderful journey.

God will not let you go to Hell...First and foremost it is your soul that God seeks...that you wholeheartedly praise him and thank him.
BVMFatima

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »

Welcome to OC.net.

You've just converted to Roman Catholicism and now you're prepared to jump that ship for Orthodoxy?  Take some time for prayer and discernment and, most importantly, don't let this become fuel for you to clash with your  mother.

SPeaking of which, your parents were OK with you converting to Catholicism (I assume because that's part of your heritage), but why is the ORthodox so offensive to them, if you don't mind my asking.

Because they feel I would be church hopping way too much

~ Pope Pius XII
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »

Second of all... do you have to make any decisions, like, tomorrow? Clashing with your mother would be counterproductive. Why don't you use the next couple of years to learn more about Orthodoxy - read, listen, participate here, attend services - and decide whether to go on and convert once you are legally an adult? Smiley
I think this is the best route, but I wouldn't assign yourself any time limits. Just take your time and make sure it's something you really want to do and minimize any conflict with your mother by proving to her you're not church hopping.
BVMFatima

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »

Okay, because in the Catholic Church it just isn't as beautiful as Orthodox Liturgy, spirituality etc.

~ Pope Pius XII
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »

First of all, welcome to OC.net! Make yourself at home, we don't bite (too hard).

Great advice!  There is much to learn and it takes time. 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »

If you look around the site, you will find tons of links to helpful sites, but just to get you started:

Fr. Thomas Hopko's 'The Orthodox Faith' book series (check out the rest of the OCA site as well).
Pravoslavie.ru
Ancient Faith Radio
Ancient Faith Radio is a remarkable resource!
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 11:41:49 PM »

Pravoslavie.ru
Ancient Faith Radio

It can be, but there are some things I would avoid. I listen to the music only.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

BVMFatima

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 11:44:31 PM »

Pravoslavie.ru
Ancient Faith Radio

What would you avoid?

~ Pope Pius XII
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 12:22:40 AM »

BVMFatima, I have seen your posts at CAF and I'm puzzled. Didn't you just recently convert to Catholicism and have some family friction because of it? Or am I confusing you with someone else?  Huh

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 05:00:26 AM »

indeed it is good to seek God. but seek Him more than you seek the church that leads you to Him.
start by building a strong relationship with God through prayer, Bible study and the church sacraments.
spend your spare time in the Bible, doing good deeds, caring for your family and friends, and then the rest of your spiritual journey will become clear.

it is relatively easy to change from being a very devout and caring catholic Christian to being a devout and caring orthodox Christian, so you don't need to rush that bit.
work on your character (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control) and the rest will follow at the right time.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 05:04:02 AM »

BVMFatima, I was sort of in the same boat as you but I didn't immediately convert to Roman Catholicism. Around the same time I found out that Orthodoxy had a way better case anyway. Since I was 16 I wanted to become Orthodox  but I just waited until I'd move out and get a place of my own as to not cause friction with my parents. In the meantime I would study Orthodoxy on my own.

Here I am, 2 years later, as determined to become Orthodox as I was before. Soon I'll move out. Perhaps it would be wise to do the same as me and just wait until you move out. At least you'll know what to do at the end of those two years.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:11:54 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
BVMFatima

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »

BVMFatima, I have seen your posts at CAF and I'm puzzled. Didn't you just recently convert to Catholicism and have some family friction because of it? Or am I confusing you with someone else?  Huh

You are correct! I mentioned that earlier in this thread Smiley

~ Pope Pius XII
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »

OK, and I believe we have interacted there as well. Nice to see you.  Cool

I won't get into the theology stuff as I'm Eastern Catholic and this is the Orthodox convert forum. Just wanted to say, take it slow and don't jump from church to church too quickly - and I think most of the good folks here would tell you the same thing. (well, MOST of them  Grin )

God bless and hope you find the right path!  Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
BVMFatima

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »

OK, and I believe we have interacted there as well. Nice to see you.  Cool

I won't get into the theology stuff as I'm Eastern Catholic and this is the Orthodox convert forum. Just wanted to say, take it slow and don't jump from church to church too quickly - and I think most of the good folks here would tell you the same thing. (well, MOST of them  Grin )

God bless and hope you find the right path!  Smiley

Great advice! As I said earlier, it seems that after watching videos from Most Holy Family Monastary, I have been paranoid of being Roman Catholic, believing the Church is now in Freemason hands. Plus, I have mortal sin on my soul and I want to get forgiven by God through the sacrament, and because MHFM mentioned the priests arnt valid, how would forgiveness be possible unless I became Orthodox, you know?

~ Pope Pius XII
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »

That is a weird reason to want to become Orthodox. We don't recognize a mortal/venial sin distinction like the RCC does, and I'm sure that these Most Holy Family people (assuming they are sedevacantists) would probably be against you becoming Orthodox, so why bother with their opinion about either church?

There is one reason and one reason only to become Orthodox: Because Orthodoxy is the true faith of the apostles.

BVMFatima

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »

Here is a link

http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/

~ Pope Pius XII
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 11:14:50 AM »

Great advice! As I said earlier, it seems that after watching videos from Most Holy Family Monastary, I have been paranoid of being Roman Catholic, believing the Church is now in Freemason hands. Plus, I have mortal sin on my soul and I want to get forgiven by God through the sacrament, and because MHFM mentioned the priests arnt valid, how would forgiveness be possible unless I became Orthodox, you know?

I'm not Catholic, but honestly even I wouldn't trust anything the MHFM had to say. They are sedevacantists that think everyone besides them and a handful of other sparce groups are absolutely damned. They would say the Orthodox are likewise damned.

You really shouldn't be listening to such radical fringe groups - Catholic or otherwise. Nothing they say will be beneficial IMO, but spiritually damaging as they produce fear and hatred toward other groups outside their own.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »

Plus, I have mortal sin on my soul and I want to get forgiven by God through the sacrament, and because MHFM mentioned the priests arnt valid, how would forgiveness be possible unless I became Orthodox, you know?

Look, God knows your heart better than you do.  But after God, you know your heart better than anyone else. 

You need repentance before you approach confession, and that's true in either Church; repentance is both our effort and the gift of God.  Furthermore, God isn't going to hold anyone to impossible standards: he's not withholding his forgiveness and grace from you until you are smart enough to figure out behind which door it is hiding.  If you are in the process of discerning which Church in which to make your spiritual home, then discern.  But if "things happen" in the meanwhile, approaching confession without repentance of some sort isn't going to help; if, however, you have repentance, God will take care of the details.  Just make your best effort according to your best intuition.  God is not a monster.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »

BVMFatima,

Christ is Risen!

Welcome to the forum!

Honestly I was in a position not to terribly different from you around  your age, the difference being that  I was born and raised Roman Catholic, the best advice I can give you is PRAY, talk to a priest if you can't find one I'd be happy to put you into contact with a very good priest who helped me in the initial part of my journey to Orthodoxy. Above all Pray, seek the Lord's will and ask our Blessed Mother to guide you, there is no rush  do not go making hurried life changing decisions that will effect your soul. 

When it comes to MHFM and groups like them pay them no heed they are radical and have been excommunicated from the Catholic church and regarding your sins, God knows your heart and it is he who forgives your sins even before you come to confession, I pray God guides you on your journey and that the Holy Virgin keeps your under her protection, if you never need anyone to talk to feel free to PM me!

David Seraphim

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:31:06 PM by Altar Server » Logged

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »

Okay, because in the Catholic Church it just isn't as beautiful as Orthodox Liturgy, spirituality etc.

If you're unable to convert to Orthodoxy due to your parents you could try to find out whether there are any Byzantine Catholic churches in your area. Their liturgy is fairly similar to ours.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »

(They actually bite very hard, watch out!  laugh )

Fatima, when I was in your shoes, I was told to slow down and take every step slowly and with due consideration.  I didn't so much, and I ended up going through a period of extreme zeal for Orthodoxy and burning out (which is shown in a rather amusing series of threads and comments here on OCnet!)

Try not to focus too much on converting.  Study all you please.  Prayer is the most important thing.  If you want to enter the Church, you'll first attend for a while and get to know the community, then spend a period as a "catechumen," sort of like a student, for at least a year (depending on your jurisdiction.)

Take time to consider things, and make sure you're sincere.  This website is a great resource.

While this is absolutely true, especially through our bias eyes, it's important not to get hung up on bells and whistles.  Before conversion, you'll get a taste of parish life and how Orthodoxy exists in relation to the ever changing secular world.  This will have a large effect on your development as a person, especially if you join the Church so young.  Your struggles will be amplified, but there will also be amazingly wonderful spiritual resources available to you that others do not have. Smiley

If this is true, about you recently joining the RCC, you need to slow things down big time.  The grass is always greener on the other side.  It's not as though Christ our God is not present in any Christian sect but Orthodoxy, you know! 

Plus, I have mortal sin on my soul and I want to get forgiven by God through the sacrament, and because MHFM mentioned the priests arnt valid, how would forgiveness be possible unless I became Orthodox, you know?
We are forgiven by God and His grace, not the Church.  The Church helps to bring us to repentance and renew ourselves through the sacrament, but God is the ultimate judge. 

I really hope I don't sound harsh or anything.  Many of us, myself included, were in the exact same position!  For me, it was a few years ago when this journey began. 

As a nun once told me - "Man plans, God laughs."

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

I'm impressed Trevor. Seriously. And it's not because I had had to check some words in a dictionary.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:51:29 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »

1. Good luck on your journey.
2. Do not rush things. I have been discerning where I ought to be for three or four years and I am still unsure of where God wants me.
3. It is probably best that you ignore Sedevacantist sources.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:07:13 PM by truthseeker32 » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »

trevor, i love your camel, but please don't feed him mcdonalds' as he may get fat!
 Wink
also i like yr advice.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »

trevor, i love your camel, but please don't feed him mcdonalds' as he may get fat!
 Wink
also i like yr advice.
Cool

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »

Pravoslavie.ru
Ancient Faith Radio

What would you avoid?

There is a thread on oc.net on that very topic.  You can do a search and get a plethora of opinions beside my own.

KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 03:16:20 AM »

I am a 16 year old convert to the Roman Catholic Church because for 3 years I studied the early Church which lead me to become a Catholic. After recently reading the early councils on the rejection of the filioque and other Catholic doctrines I have been convinced orthodoxy may be the true Church. I am not aloud to become Orthodox because my Mother will not let me, what should I do? Thanks and God Bless

I was 16 when I converted to Orthodoxy (but I was raised Orthodox so chrismation only finished what my Mother started after I was baptised so our situations are a bit different), but I think the best place to start is in your own heart. Take some refuge there, and think. I'm just going out on a limb here, but I'm sure that you've heard of Saint Ignatius of Loyola. Well, he made a list of 'spiritual exercises' and a part of the spiritual exercises is called Ignatian discernment. The head of development at my school wanted me to become a priest (an Orthodox priest, he wasn't trying to convert me or anything!), and when I said that I don't think I'm be worthy, he told me about Ignatian discernment (I never really paid attention in senior year religion class, truth be told) and how I should lock myself in my room for an entire day and think about which direction my life is heading, and will head. I suggest this Ignatian discernment for yourself; where did you come from, where are you going, and where will you end? Not where you want to end up, but where is God sending you? Part of me is very excited that you want to become Orthodox Christian, and I think you've touched upon a very important vein in looking into things like the filioque, but if there's a part of you that wants to remain Catholic, then you'll have built up so much angst about it all. Plus, I don't want to read yet another "Why I DIDN'T convert to Orthodox Christianity" story by you thirty years down the road  Grin. I joke, I kid!

For now, I'd suggest hitting the books. Personally, what really hit it home for me was Fr. Theodore Pulcini's "Orthodoxy and Catholicism: What are the Differences?" That's when I saw all this talk about how Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ said to the Apostle Peter "On this rock I will build my Church" was missing a key part of the story; the Apostle Peter had literally just told Him, "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God," (Matthew 16:16). That's what Christ was referring to as the Rock, the confession that Jesus is the Son of God. He also sums up purgatory (or rather the lack-thereof) pretty simply; Jesus already died for us so that we may go to Heaven, why would we keep paying for them? Is Christ's ultimate act of love not enough? I'm sure the community can suggest to you some other good books as well (should there be a comma after "books" and before "as"?).

Also, while I highly recommend attending a Divine Liturgy service, please, please, please make sure that the liturgy is in a language that you fully understand. While yes, the vast majority of Orthodox churches in these United States (and Canada) celebrate the liturgy in both modern English and a liturgical language if they even use a liturgical language at all, it's still incredibly hard for new attendees to follow. I brought two of my best friends who are Latin Catholics to Divine Liturgy a few weeks ago, and while every single word of the Divine Liturgy was right in front of them, they just couldn't keep up because they couldn't tell which sentence in English was the equivalent as to what the priests had said in Liturgical Greek. Also, don't be afraid to say hello to the congregation, and all are welcome to accept antidoron immediately following the end of Divine Liturgy (antidoron literally means "instead of the gift" with the gift of course, being Holy Communion). Also, if say, you do end up preferring the liturgical practices of the West, then boy, do I have a surprise for you! http://orthodoxwiki.org/Western_Rite

That's about all I have to say. I hope that I can be of some help to you in your journey. God with you.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: