OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:32:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a Bomb with a Grain of Salt, for Opus...  (Read 312 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: May 26, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »

From the Prayer forum:

Lord, Have Mercy.

ps - has this particular, and not uncommon, topic been discussed here?

It's funny how the build up of little things over time pushes you to the edge of exploding on someone. This is exactly why I was so unhappy at my last job, because it was just an accruement of a bunch of little petty BS that pushed me over the edge.

The only answer in my case was to find a new job. Since I have been at my job not even a month yet, I don't have to worry about any of this little BS anymore. But I am sure in due time it will start piling up, make me unhappy and then I'll have to get another job.

Why does this happen so often and is common? Are people just that terrible?

I have seen nothing but people backstabbing each other for better positions my entire time since I have been employed out of high school. It's like what's the best way to stomp on someone just so I can advance. And somehow these managers take a blind eye to what is actually going on and are way too gullible.

Nobody cares about anyone.

Now Opus are you referring to people being ungrateful for receiving that kind of perk Schultz' co-worker got?

People will complain about anything and everything.

Ask me how my new co-worker found out how much I am making, and now our working relationship is pretty much done.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:59:15 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »

Why does this happen so often and is common? Are people just that terrible?

I have seen nothing but people backstabbing each other for better positions my entire time since I have been employed out of high school. It's like what's the best way to stomp on someone just so I can advance. And somehow these managers take a blind eye to what is actually going on and are way too gullible.

Nobody cares about anyone.

I was referring to the above, although voluntarily accepting an offer to attend a convention and not really wanting to go is also weird.

I understood that it wasn't uncommon, but I was wondering if it was common.

I ran into a similar situation, but no where near what is being described, when I switched labs about four years ago. Stopping it was the first thing I worked on. It destroys careers and in particular it destroys graduate students and the viability of the lab itself.

I really know nothing about a solely office environment, but I would think the environment described is counterproductive in this setting as well.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »

I can assure you it is only worse in an office environment and if not retail as well. And white collar work is really for the birds anyway. When you have nothing to do, you might as well stir up some drama at the expense of someone moving up in the company.

But people are vastly different here in PA versus CO, so I'll see how it goes. People are a lot more genuine and sincere out here, and even my own superiors call out corporate BS all the time. It certainly is refreshing.

Opus,

Since I assume you are working with graduate students here, would you say that my generation is much more selfish than in the past? I feel that with all the vanity of my generation has pushed us to compete to such a level that any sort of ethics will not stand in the way.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »

Opus,

Since I assume you are working with graduate students here, would you say that my generation is much more selfish than in the past? I feel that with all the vanity of my generation has pushed us to compete to such a level that any sort of ethics will not stand in the way.

Achronos,

I had to think about this for quite a while. It is complicated because there is a demographic shift in scientists to consider.

One hour later I am still thinking about it. My current answer is no. On a personal basis I have more of a problem with GenXers but is is a very small sample that grew up in a very unusual environment.

In general, of those born in the US, I do not see much difference, regardless of heritage. Students from mainland China are more like what you are describing. Nevertheless, when they enter into a mutually altruistic environment they quickly adapt.

The main advice that I give (and it is true) is that you become a better and more valuable scientist by dealing with other people's research problems rather than your own.  It is a no-brainer and most people figure this out once told.
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »

Opus,

Achronos,

I had to think about this for quite a while. It is complicated because there is a demographic shift in scientists to consider.

One hour later I am still thinking about it. My current answer is no. On a personal basis I have more of a problem with GenXers but is is a very small sample that grew up in a very unusual environment.

In general, of those born in the US, I do not see much difference, regardless of heritage. Students from mainland China are more like what you are describing. Nevertheless, when they enter into a mutually altruistic environment they quickly adapt.

The main advice that I give (and it is true) is that you become a better and more valuable scientist by dealing with other people's research problems rather than your own.  It is a no-brainer and most people figure this out once told.

I want to revise this response. I was barbecuing. I suspect most people who cause the problems think of themselves as being good. Perhaps that is why they are readily reached. I have not had experience with people that do not fall into this category. I have never met one.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: