OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 12:16:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Churches in NYC  (Read 1592 times) Average Rating: 0
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« on: January 20, 2005, 07:43:48 PM »

Hi,
I'm sure this post is frequent, but I feel that this is one of the few and best ways.  I'm converting to Orthodoxy in NYC but it's hard to find English speaking churches.  Therefore, does anyone know one that is in English and how I get in contact with someone to start. 
For the record, in the mean time I have been attending OCA and ROCOR Parishes.  thanks

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:53:30 PM »

Dantxny,

Welcome to the forum. Someone posted information here that might be of some interest or help to you.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 01:02:49 AM »

Have you checked the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox parishes? I think there are at least two in NYC and most are English-speaking.

http://www.acrod.org

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 01:20:58 AM »

dantxny,

i PMed you info about my church, in case you check here before you check your Personal Messages. Smiley

hmmmm...
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:44:38 PM »

If you look outside the OCA & ROCOR, you'd probably be able to find some Greek or Antiochian parishes.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 03:10:09 PM »

Thank you all for the messages and they were helpful.  Actually I ran accross the ACROD last night, but I've never heard of them.  Does anyone have any experience with them or know anything of them?
Thanks

Daniel

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 03:31:32 PM »

Of course, dantxny.
Their website has a short history. Basically this Orthodox church consists of a diocese under the Ecumenical Patriarch which was formed in the 1930s by (at that time) 37 Byzantine Catholic parishes who became Orthodox. It is a Slavic church by ethnicity and like most Orthodox churches here experience varies by parish as to how 'ethnic' the congregation is. My wife is in this church (I am Greek Orthodox) and we attend services at her English-speaking ACROD parish 75% of the time so she won't be too challenged by the Greek used in my parish (which ironically is now almost 100% English).
Others here I am sure can fill in further.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 05:12:03 PM »

Dantxny,

If you run across any churches and are unsure of their legitimacy, this is a good site to consult. The site has a listing of Eastern Orthodox as well as Oriental Orthodox jurisdictions. ACROD is ok Smiley

http://aggreen.net/autocephaly/autoceph.html

Qui cantat, bis orat
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 06:02:13 PM »

The list is ok as a resource, but it would be wise to not pay too much attention to the ecclesiology expounded there. From the webpage given above:

Although not in itself in communion with most of the other Orthodox jurisdictions, the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR) is in communion with the Church of Serbia and Church of Jerusalem, both of which are in communion with the other autocephalous and autonomous Orthodox churches, thus giving it semi-legitimate status.

Given that belief, it turns out that many saints throughout our history were only "semi-canonical" and "semi-legitimate" (Sts. Gregory the Theologian, John Chrysostom, Photius, Mark of Ephesus, etc.)! And that's not the only example of questionable ecclesiology; there's also stuff like:

This is an excellent definition of "canonical" from the web site of a canonical Eastern Orthodox parish church: "Christ the Saviour Church is a member of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese, a canonical, autonomous jurisdiction of the Eastern Orthodox Church, headquartered in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, and under the protection of His All-Holiness, BARTHOLOMEW I, pictured here. As 'the Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome, and Ecumenical Patriarch,' every canonical local or worldwide Orthodox Church is in full communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch." -Source

That is an error called neo-papal-patriarchalism, and it has been trying to force it's way into Orthodox thought for over a thousand years. But the Orthodox Church has never taught that a Church has to be in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarchate (or any other See or Bishop) to be Orthodox. Rather, the Orthodox belief is, as St. Justin Popovich said:

For the bishop and the faithful gathered around him are the expression and manifestation of the Church as the Body of Christ, especially in the Holy Liturgy: the Church is Apostolic and Catholic only by virtue of its bishops, insofar as they are the heads of true ecclesiastical units, the dioceses. At the same time, the other, historically later and variable forms of church organisation of the Orthodox Church: the metropolias, archdioceses, patriarchates, pentarchias, autocephalies, autonomies, etc., however many there may be or shall be, cannot have and do not have a determining and decisive significance in the conciliar system of the Orthodox Church. Furthermore, they may constitute an obstacle in the correct functioning of the conciliar principle if they obstruct and reject the episcopal character and structure of the Church and of the Churches. Here, undoubtedly, is to be found the primary difference between Orthodox and papal ecclesiology. - On the Summoning of the Great Council of the Orthodox Church

I apologize if this seems overly polemical. I can understand discussions of canonicity and validity, as for example between the OCA, MP, and ROCOR. But I think neo-papal-patriarchalism is a whole different creature.

EDITED the first sentence to sound less polemical.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 06:16:13 PM by Paradosis » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: