OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:01:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical Readings: Seeking a particular resource  (Read 390 times) Average Rating: 0
cwjhenson

Faith: Orthodox

« on: May 26, 2013, 05:42:27 AM »

Christ is Risen!

I am seeking a book (or website or article) which has organized the liturgical calendar readings according to chapter and verse as they occur in most New Testaments. [I.e. for Mathew 1:1-25 it would say that this is read on the Sunday before Christmas (Sunday of the Forefathers), and then for Mathew 2:1-12 it would say this is read on Christmas Day, etc.] I am aware of the many resources that have given gospel and epistle readings for the liturgical calendar according to the date in the liturgical year, i.e. third Sunday after Pascha such and such gospel and epistle, and that using these I could create such a list on my own by just inverting the information, but if someone has already done the work I would like to spare myself a few hours of monkey work.

yours with love in Christ,

Iakwbos
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:47:52 PM »

He has truly Risen!

That information is available in the pocket sized church calendar sold in the church.  I know for a fact that Serbian Church calendar has posted the what part of Bible (Gospel and Epistle) to read for each Sunday for the whole year and it is written in English and Serbian and it is only $5.  I am not sure which calendar you are using (Julian or Gregorian)...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:48:20 PM by Putnik Namernik » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »

Is this what you are looking for http://goarch.org/resources/monthly_readings ? It list the daily readings by day.

Joseph
cwjhenson

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 04:09:21 AM »

Perhaps I didn't make my question clear enough:

What I am looking for is a resource that has organized the Liturgical Calendar according to the New Testament  - NOT the New Testament according to the calendar.

The Calendar according to the New Testament would look something like:
Mathew 1 : Dates Read
Mathew 2 : Dates Read
Mathew 3 : Dates Read

and so on through the rest of the New Testament.

The New Testament according to the Liturgical Calendar, which is what everyone is familiar with (and has plenty of resources), looks like:

January 1st: Gospel, Epistle
January 2nd: Gospel, Epistle

or says

Third Sunday after Lent: Gospel, Epistle

Essentially, I am looking for the reverse order of the Orthodox Liturgical Calendar. Any help?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »

Aren't Russian gospel books designed like this, where instead of being arranged by pericope in order of the year, they're in their canonical NT order, but marked for when to read what?  Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe it's just the gospel and not the epistles.  Anyone?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 07:08:38 PM »

From Optina Monastery:

•One chapter from the Gospel in order, beginning first with the Gospel of Matthew, to the last chapter of the Gospel of John,
•Two chapters from the Epistle, likewise in order, beginning with the Acts of the holy Apostles and ending with the last chapter of the Apocalypse of Saint John the Theologian. The last seven chapters of the Apocalypse are read one a day.
•One kathisma a day of the Psalter, beginning with the first and ending with the last.

http://www.orthodox.net/ustav/the-cell-rule-of-five-hundred-of-the-optina-monastery.html

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
cwjhenson

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 02:13:38 AM »

Thank you for your suggestions and help. Please allow me again to try to explain what exactly I am looking for - it would be a resource that starts with Mathew and follows the NT canonical order (Mathew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, etc). For every passage from Scripture that one reads it would point to the calendar day on which that passage is read. For example, when reading Romans 1:18-27 it would somehow indicate that this passage is read on Wed. the first week after Pentecost. For every passage it would point to the date (or dates for those read multiple times) within the liturgical year on which they are read.

NB: What I am looking for is something different than the traditional lectionary found in most Orthodox resources, and it is not a 'prayer rule' either.

with love in Christ
cwjhenson

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 02:19:04 AM »

PS. If one does a search for 'Reverse Lectionary' there are such resources for other Christian denominations, as found at

http://www.satucket.com/lectionary/When_Will_It_Be_Read.htm

I guess, another way of describing what I am looking for is to call it a "Reverse Orthodox Lectionary"
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:49:27 AM »

PS. If one does a search for 'Reverse Lectionary' there are such resources for other Christian denominations, as found at

http://www.satucket.com/lectionary/When_Will_It_Be_Read.htm

I guess, another way of describing what I am looking for is to call it a "Reverse Orthodox Lectionary"

I have never seen anything like this from an Orthodox source (not saying it does not exist). The Protestant Lectionaries tend to be simpler than the Orthodox so when I see "This Table was created from data painstakingly created " from an Episcopalian source, it makes me think that trying to do one for the Orthodox might be suicidal.

Joseph
Adelphi

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »

cwjhenson,
God bless your new project!

Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. Prov. 23:23.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: