OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:16:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Prophet does this verse predict?  (Read 386 times) Average Rating: 0
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« on: May 25, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »

Hi all, in Orthodox does this verse predict the coming of Jesus or the Prophet Mosses?

Please, elaborate on your statements, thank you.

Deuteronomy 18:15-18

"15 The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him. 16 For this is what you asked of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, “Let us not hear the voice of the Lord our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die.”
17 The Lord said to me: “What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him."

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »

Hi all, in Orthodox does this verse predict the coming of Jesus or the Prophet Mosses?

"15 The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him. 16 For this is what you asked of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, “Let us not hear the voice of the Lord our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die.”
17 The Lord said to me: “What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him."

Moses predates the Deuteronomy period. ISTM it could refer to St John the Baptist.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »

The prophecy refers to Jesus.  Think of the Word becoming flesh (1st chapter of John).
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »

Yes, this is a prophecy referring to Christ.  Cf. Acts 3.17-26.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
john_mo
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 08:06:49 AM »

It's predicting not Muhammad

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »

If this verse predicting Christ, why is it referring as just a Prophet then, not a Son of God or a Messiah? I thought it was revering to the Prophet Moses..

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Jovan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 09:00:10 AM »

The surrounding context of the passage speaks about how God revealed himself to Moses face to face and to the people in a great fire and glory. They couldn´t stand Gods glory and voice so they asked for him to hid himself from them, and God answered them in the verse mentioned.

16 For this is wha you asked of the Lord your God at Horteb on the day of the assembly when you said, “Let us not hear the voice of the Lord our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die.”
17 The Lord said to me: “What they say is good.

The prophet(the messenger between God and the people) therefore was to be like Moses in the matter that he would see God the Father face to face and know his voice. Jesus fulfills this in a great way. I am not sure but I don´t think any other prophet does.

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 01:00:20 PM »

If this verse predicting Christ, why is it referring as just a Prophet then, not a Son of God or a Messiah? I thought it was revering to the Prophet Moses..

Well, if you read the words carefully, it is Moses announcing the coming of another prophet like him (i.e., like Moses).  He would not have to announce himself, as he's already there.  Smiley

I don't know enough about OT religious ideas, so I can't say why Moses referred to a prophet and not to "Son of God" or "Messiah", except that maybe they didn't or wouldn't have understood those terms.  But this "Prophet" was evidently an important concept in their religion, at least at the time of Christ.  In John 1.19-27, when priests and Levites were sent from Jerusalem to John the Baptist to ask him who he was, he first denies that he is the Christ; then they ask him if he's Elijah or if he's "the Prophet", which he also denies. 

Based on the apostolic preaching (as I cited earlier), the tradition of the Church is that Moses was talking about Christ when he referred to a prophet like himself.  And certainly, our Church regards Christ as priest, prophet, and king.  There are many books, I'm sure, which deal with this, but the one that first comes to my mind is the first of the three volume series Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI; he begins that book, if I'm not mistaken, with a treatment of the Deuteronomic passage in question and discusses its interpretation as a prophecy of Christ.     

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »

Actually, Moses might have collectively meant all the true prophets to be sent by Elohim after his departure, the first being Joshua. However, as everything found perfection in Christ, He is the Messiah, the Priest, and the Prophet. These three offices were brought together in Yeshua. He was anointed with the Holy Spirit (the Messiah) and started His prophetic ministry (the Prophet). Finally, He offered Himself as the ultimate sacrifice to Elohim (the Priest).

The apostolic Church considered the promise in Deuteronomy 18:15-18 a reference to Christ (Acts 3:22 and 7:37). We can also see that in the New Testament Yeshua's designation as the Messiah goes hand in hand with His prophetic ministry. He was anointed with the Spirit and power as He was the promised Messiah (emphasis on His Kingdom and His similarity to David) and the promised Prophet (emphasis on His mission and His similarity to Moses).

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Knee V

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »

Deut 34
10 But since then there has not arisen in Israel a prophet like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, 11 in all the signs and wonders which the Lord sent him to do in the land of Egypt, before Pharaoh, before all his servants, and in all his land,

A thousand or so years later the Israelites were still expecting this Prophet. In John 1 the people ask John the Baptist who he is. One question they ask him is "are you the prophet?" He answers "no."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: