OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:15:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Dispensationalists  (Read 366 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: May 21, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »

I was listening to AFR a few months back and heard a priest giving either a homily or a lecture, and he went on to affirm a dispensationalist view toward the Jews. He posited that God still has a covenant with the Jewish people that is distinct from the Church, and it is still yet to be fully filled. I can't recall if he made any references to the modern state of Israel or not.

Is he alone in this, or is there a real presence of this sort of dispensationalism in (Western) Orthodoxy?
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »

O.o

Say whaaaaaat?

Do you have a link?  I would love to listen to that...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:09:59 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:56:34 AM »

The Jews of our days are awaiting Christ and He wishes to save them. In this sense, God has a "covenant" with them (as much as He does with everybody else) because the Jews are not the (only) chosen people anymore. But, no, God does not (still) have anything special with the Jews except that He is sensitive to the fact that they remained in a very powerful delusion.

Knee V

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:32:51 PM »

Either you misunderstood him, or he is WAAAAAAYYYYYYY out in left field.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »

Either you misunderstood him, or he is WAAAAAAYYYYYYY out in left field.

I certainly hope it's the former.

I wish I could find the podcast. It seemed like it was a Bible study format with an exegetical focus. I believe the speaker was trained in Biblical studies.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:15:56 PM by Nephi » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »

Oops, double post.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:16:03 PM by Nephi » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 03:15:35 AM »

Would have to have a quote of what he said to make a statement.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 04:34:47 AM »

I was listening to AFR a few months back and heard a priest giving either a homily or a lecture, and he went on to affirm a dispensationalist view toward the Jews. He posited that God still has a covenant with the Jewish people that is distinct from the Church, and it is still yet to be fully filled. I can't recall if he made any references to the modern state of Israel or not.

Is he alone in this, or is there a real presence of this sort of dispensationalism in (Western) Orthodoxy?

Even to suggest the covenant with Israel was outside the Church is to misunderstand the Church anyhow.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »

Well that type of thinking is so common among Protestants (even conservative ones) and Catholics in America that I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of "on-the-ground" influence amongst your average parish priests.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 02:17:25 PM »

St. Paul says that God will someday graft Jews who do not persist in unbelief back onto the Vine, which could be interpreted to mean that there is some divine plan to preserve them until that time. Perhaps that is what the speaker was talking about.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: