OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 11:13:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I-Dosers?  (Read 556 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: July 03, 2013, 01:41:07 AM »

I-Dosers are a relatively new trend that has caught on in some geek circles. They are a series of audio files that use a complex system of sounds and bass in order to simulate the effects of being high or having an orgasm on the listener. There are several of them, each made to simulate an individual drug, some made to simulate sexual feelings, and others for other purposes.

I tried one of them about a year ago and it was a very bizarre, unpleasant feeling to say in the least. I did feel a certain sense of pleasure and bliss for a few minutes, but that was after almost 30 minutes of feeling extremely nauseous, vomiting once, and wanting to pass out. I wouldn't use them again. But, what is the Church's position on these? Technically they are harmless, as it is just listening to sounds. Does anyone else here have any experience with them?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »

But, what is the Church's position on these? Technically they are harmless, as it is just listening to sounds. Does anyone else here have any experience with them?

Well, let me see. The Church teaches that lust is a sin. These harmless "sounds" simulate sexual pleasure.

They also simulate a drug induced haze. Anything that alters your mind is forbidden. Think - you can have a glass of wine, but, don't get drunk.

It made you ill for half an hour. Willfully damaging your body, the temple of the Holy Spirit, is highly discouraged by the Church.

So, what do you think the Church's stance might be on such a harmless sound?

Just listen to some church hymns or recordings of the Divine Liturgy. Now, THAT will give you the type of lift and spiritual sensation that the Church would approve if.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »

There are things that we do or choices that we make that seem to bring us closer to Christ. There are things that we do or choices that we make that seem to push us further away from Christ.

Which one is it?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »

I tried one of them about a year ago and it was a very bizarre, unpleasant feeling to say in the least. I did feel a certain sense of pleasure and bliss for a few minutes, but that was after almost 30 minutes of feeling extremely nauseous, vomiting once, and wanting to pass out. I wouldn't use them again. But, what is the Church's position on these? Technically they are harmless...

Isn't that enough?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Ashman618
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »

Ahhhhhh bi-neural beats
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »

I sometimes have a feeling of euphoria when I read poetry. Like really rarely, but it's there. I hope I don't have to stop  angel

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »

If you want the full sex experience, don't get just an artificial feeling, get the full sex experience: flirting, dating, getting married to the opposite sex, having sex with the person you got married with, having children, raising children.

The whole problem with hedonism is not that they want "more", but that they want less. Although we separate those things in different words, they are a clear continuum, that we have to artificially break and cut here and there to pretend they can exist isolatedly.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:57:26 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 12:02:39 PM »

If you want the full sex experience, don't get just an artificial feeling, get the full sex experience: flirting, dating, getting married to the opposite sex, having sex with the person you got married with, having children, raising children.

The whole problem with hedonism is not that they want "more", but that they want less. Although we separate those things in different words, they are a clear continuum, that we have to artificially break and cut here and there to pretend they can exist isolatedly.

I'm getting tired of hearing this hedonism thing throw around, and it's only the 2nd time this week. That term has been attached to everyone from Epicureans to utilitarians to people like Aristippus of Cyrene and Carneades the gnostic. I don't even know what you people mean when you use that term. It seems to be a vague catch-all that has something or other to do with pleasure. It's like the word gnostic, or existentialist, or nihilist... it means whatever the author wants it to mean at any given time; that is, if the author has any idea of what he means at all.   police

I should just make you read a book about the Carvaka and then write an essay on it. Learning the names would be punishment enough.  Cool
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:17:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »

I know what I mean at least, and it's not any philosophical school, just the usual meaning of

HEDONISM
1: the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the sole or chief good in life
2: a way of life based on or suggesting the principles of hedonism
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hedonism

I'm getting tired of hearing this hedonism thing throw around, and it's only the 2nd time this week. That term has been attached to everyone from Epicureans to utilitarians to people like Aristippus of Cyrene and Carneades the gnostic. I don't even know what you people mean when you use that term. It seems to be a vague catch-all that has something or other to do with pleasure. It's like the word gnostic, or existentialist, or nihilist... it means whatever the author wants it to mean at any given time; that is, if the author has any idea of what he means at all.   police

I should just make you read a book about the Carvaka and then write an essay on it. Learning the names would be punishment enough.  Cool

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »

According to my husband, who is a scientist by trade and has a long-standing interest in hypnosis, binaural beats are no more than a placebo - they work if you expect they will. Sound frequencies do have various effects on the brain and the body, but putting you into trance is not one of them. Seeing as the whole I-Dosers schtick is proprietary, I'm calling 'cash cow' geared towards bleeding-edge addicts with more money and time than sense.

Unless it is a treatment that will make things worse before making them better, there is no reason to inflict something disagreeable on oneself.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »

Indeed...it really is pretty simple and most( Roll Eyes) people understand it that way.
 Grin
I know what I mean at least, and it's not any philosophical school, just the usual meaning of

HEDONISM

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »

According to my husband, who is a scientist by trade and has a long-standing interest in hypnosis, binaural beats are no more than a placebo - they work if you expect they will. Sound frequencies do have various effects on the brain and the body, but putting you into trance is not one of them. Seeing as the whole I-Dosers schtick is proprietary, I'm calling 'cash cow' geared towards bleeding-edge addicts with more money and time than sense.

Unless it is a treatment that will make things worse before making them better, there is no reason to inflict something disagreeable on oneself.

Ah...our good ol' friend Placebo!  I recall reading that in medicine placebos are effective about 30% of the time.  That's not bad, really, if you think about it.   There has also been major long-term research done (at Harvard??) comparing placebos to anti-depressant drugs.  Placebos win hands down.

Back on topic....Liza's and KofD's replies need no elaboration--they say all that needs to be said in answer to JamesR's question.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »

HEDONISM

I should just make you read a book about the Carvaka and then write an essay on it. Learning the names would be punishment enough.  Cool

And you think who exactly are hedonists then in this context? How many people have you met that told you that "pleasure or happiness is the sole or chief good in life," and if any have, how many of those people actually follow through in practice?

EDIT--Nevermind, shouldn't have asked  angel
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:07:10 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »

In the context of this thread, where an experiment that clearly led to some kind of pain is questioned in spite of that pain and because of the possible pleasure it may cause, I think it's safe to assume that the overral hedonistic modern stance that "if it's fun and doesn't harm other people, what's the problem?" is underlying the question, even if not as an idea as something deeper, an attitude.

HEDONISM

I should just make you read a book about the Carvaka and then write an essay on it. Learning the names would be punishment enough.  Cool

And you think who exactly are hedonists then in this context? How many people have you met that told you that "pleasure or happiness is the sole or chief good in life," and if any have, how many of those people actually follow through in practice?

EDIT--Nevermind, shouldn't have asked  angel

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »

Also, there is a very good chance -not a predetermination- that James being an adolescent and an American, is to some extent influenced by what sociologists have identified as "moralistic therapeutic deism", a generic religious *attitude* (rather than a doctrinal belief) held by American teenagers and with the following "dogmas":

1.A god exists who created and ordered the world and watches over human life on earth.
2.God wants people to be good, nice, and fair to each other, as taught in the Bible and by most world religions.
3.The central goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.
4.God does not need to be particularly involved in one's life except when God is needed to resolve a problem.

5.Good people go to heaven when they die.

3 and 4 are hedonistic attitudes in that broad sense, and a question about the validity of mild hallucinatory techiques as a form of fun also implies that kind of attitude.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:38:06 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 10:20:47 PM »

Gimme some Mexican food --- and I can change the mood of an entire room with a sound, and there is no placebo about it. laugh

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: