OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 12:21:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the Catholic Church doing this?  (Read 326 times) Average Rating: 0
Cackles
Muted
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »

Why oh why oh why is the Catholic Church doing this??

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2014/04/05/immigration-reform-becomes-catholic-pro-life-cause/2XHiTpDhrKL8pWqreakpwI/story.html

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:21:30 PM »

I don't mind the Catholic Church taking up immigration reform or whatever, but I did find the "Border Mass" uncomfortable. Regardless of the  purpose, using the Eucharistic Sacrifice as a political tool just seems a bit inappropriate to me.

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:57:03 PM »

The Catholics need Latino Catholics to replenish their aging and fleeing parishioners as well as their money to help offset the over $3 billion (that's right, billion. Not million or even hundreds of millions, but billion) that has been paid to victims of the clergy sex abuse scandals.  Sorry to say, but like anything else in life, follow the money.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Auryn

Faith: Catholic converting to Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:34:37 AM »

Pope Francis said that we should not 'obsess' over issues like abortion, so I guess they're looking for a more pope francis friendly issue to start pushing.

If there is prayer, the soul lives; without prayer, there is no spiritual life. + St. Theophan the Recluse +
JoeS2
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »

Pope Francis said that we should not 'obsess' over issues like abortion, so I guess they're looking for a more pope francis friendly issue to start pushing.

How exactly did he say this?  I know the RCC has not and will not change it's stance on the Abortion Issue.  Is he saying that it should not occupy all of our concerns thus allowing other important things to be discussed?
Cackles
Muted
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

I don't mind the Catholic Church taking up immigration reform or whatever, but I did find the "Border Mass" uncomfortable. Regardless of the  purpose, using the Eucharistic Sacrifice as a political tool just seems a bit inappropriate to me.

Do they have a motive? Why is this unusual sort of thing happening would you speculate?

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Wandile
Peter the Roman
High Elder

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »

How exactly did he say this?  I know the RCC has not and will not change it's stance on the Abortion Issue.  Is he saying that it should not occupy all of our concerns thus allowing other important things to be discussed?

Yes

For it is a matter of necessity that every Church
should agree with this Church [of Rome] , on account of
its preeminent authority
St Irenaeus of Lyon

Would the heretics dare to come to the very seat of Peter whence apostolic faith is derived and whither no errors can come?
St. Cyprian
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »

Is he saying that it should not occupy all of our concerns thus allowing other important things to be discussed?
He said Catholics should emphasize things like the Incarnation, and God's love for humanity.

See what heresy Vatican II has birthed? I rent my garments and my mantle.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:15:33 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »

As the soul becomes darkened with heretical ideas and passions, one heresy gives birth to another.

Ever since the Roman Catholic Church has split away from the Holy Orthodox Church,  theologians with novel ideas have split from her and have formed new Protestant churches.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »

Just curious: would you support withholding the Eucharist from Catholic politicians who don't vote to outlaw abortion?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »

Just curious: would you support withholding the Eucharist from Catholic politicians who don't vote to outlaw abortion?

Not quite. Only if they're actively endorsing or championing abortion through any means (i.e. not just politically), which would also apply to all Catholics and not just politicians.

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
Wandile
Peter the Roman
High Elder

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »

As the soul becomes darkened with heretical ideas and passions, one heresy gives birth to another.

Ever since the Roman Catholic Church has split away from the Holy Orthodox Church,  theologians with novel ideas have split from her and have formed new Protestant churches.

We never split from Orthodoxy Smiley

For it is a matter of necessity that every Church
should agree with this Church [of Rome] , on account of
its preeminent authority
St Irenaeus of Lyon

Would the heretics dare to come to the very seat of Peter whence apostolic faith is derived and whither no errors can come?
St. Cyprian
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Lefebvrian Catholic

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 02:53:11 AM »

Yeah, what scandmandrius said:

#1 Demographics, hispanics are the future of the church in the USA, they are the future of the USA period. Whoever has the most children and doesnt use contraception is the future. Many hispanics also use more contraception these days so who knows what will happen ultimately. Thats why contraception is evil.
#2 the peace & justice (secular politics) obsession (which I grant is part of the gospel), which has been more prominent after vatican II
#3 Pope francis. ("francis effect".)

No where in the world has human migration ever been stopped permanently, except temporarily by giant walls or by genocides.
Humans will go where they will, irregardless of borders. I find the concept of immigration reform to be a figment of politicians imagination. The USA is nothing but immigrants, other than native americans.

Business control the US economy, business hire whoever they want to , part of the 60's, 70's counter culture that is now regular culture is "GLOBALISATION".  I do not like globalisation. I am not a libertarian, but Ron/Rand Paul, Pat Buchanon and Ralph Nader all have same ideas for protectionist policies. Protectionism and fighting corrupt banks is a good idea, but the free market being free is another figment of the imagination.

The mass across the border is interesting. Since people have actually died trying to cross that fence, I can see how it has a spiritual dimension. I am confused by it, all and all simply indifferent. I do not know if it is an abuse of the mass for political purposes. It probably is, but with all the other abuses these days, it doesnt seem like the most serious one..seeing as no "married" lesbians were involved.

The united states conquered/stole the southwest from mexico, and mexico stole it from spain who stole it from zuni, hopi and various tribes...

I have encountered people who are prejudiced against darker skinned spanish speaking people,  if this works in their favour, good for them... likewise the mexican owner of the soccer/futbol team in california refuses to hire anyone but mexicans for his team so nationalism or prejudice sometimes goes both ways.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:04:52 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: