OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 11:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading/online sources for learning Orthodox basics - recommendations?  (Read 683 times) Average Rating: 0
Deborah

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« on: May 22, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »

Hello,

What books, catechisms or online sources would you recommend for (a hypothetical) someone interested in Orthodoxy who comes from a Calvanistic Protestant Christian background?  This person knows a few isolated facts about Orthodox faith and practice, but gets it confused with and has trouble teasing what they know about Orthodoxy apart from the beliefs of their former faith tradition.  They can only get to Orthodox services a handful of times a year because of distance, doesn't know any Orthodox Christians in their area, and is in contact with a priest who can answer the odd question, but doesn't have time to conduct a one-on-one long distance catechesis.

They are wanting a solid, even grounding on the basics of Orthodox Christian faith, belief and practice.  Something reasonably concise, to-the-point and easy to understand.  What materials would you point them to?  Thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:04:31 PM by Deborah » Logged

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »

I suspect I will get flamed for this recommendation, but I found a very good, basic introduction to Orthodoxy to be:

The Illumined Heart: The Ancient Christian Path of Transformation by Frederica Mathewes Green

It is not deep and heavy, it gives a good overview of Orthodoxy and why it has the beliefs that it does.  It is a good starting point.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:12:46 PM »

The Orthodox Way by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware. It is great (just don`t recommend him-her the danish version, it drove me almost mad).

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

This is where I choose to tread

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »

The OCA has Fr. Thomas Hopko's complete The Orthodox Faith series for free on its website. These are the same books that I went through during my catechism. Fr. Hopko has an interesting writing style that occasionally obscures his message, but they're overall very readable and basic.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:25:17 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »

The OCA has Fr. Thomas Hopko's complete The Orthodox Faith series for free on its website. These are the same books that I went through during my catechism. Fr. Hopko has an interesting writing style that occasionally obscures his message, but they're overall very readable and basic.

Yes, my priest recommended me the Rainbow series (catechism) and I can also recommend it.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Fotina02

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »

Introducing the Orthodox Church: Its Faith and Life.
By   Anthony M. Coniaris
http://www.regels.org/orthodox-catechism.htm

Covers basics, good intro.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »

If they have a Kindle, or the Kindle reading app for PC or smartphone, I recommend Clark Carlton's The Faith and The Life. Most Protestant converts become familiar with The Way (aka 'pitching Orthodoxy to the Evangelical crew') but the other two, that focus on Orthodoxy in itself, are more useful.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:25:09 AM »

If they have a Kindle, or the Kindle reading app for PC or smartphone, I recommend Clark Carlton's The Faith and The Life. Most Protestant converts become familiar with The Way (aka 'pitching Orthodoxy to the Evangelical crew') but the other two, that focus on Orthodoxy in itself, are more useful.

Yes, Carlton's books really seem to resonate with my evangelical and Calvinist friends. I think he must be speaking their language.  Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »

if you want to buy a proper academic course, you can try here:
http://www.lsocs.co.uk/

they do distance learning and i know some of the course writers, who are serious scholars who write extremely well.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »

I believe you can read much or all of Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky's Orthodox Dogmatic Theology online here:

http://www.intratext.com/X/ENG0824.HTM

Note: Hide concordance links for easier reading.

I own the book, and it is clear, thorough, and concise (if a little dry at times).

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »

'The Orthodox Church' by Sergius Bulgakov.
Jeremy

Faith: Evangelical/exploring Orthodoxy

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »

The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware: This goes into a lot of the history of the OC, which is very important and helpful to know.

How Are We Saved? by Timothy (Kallistos) Ware: This book is easy to read and succinctly, clearly describes the OC views on justification, sanctification, sin, human sinfulness, and overall salvation. I'm about halfway through it now, so I can't give a fuller idea of the book at this time. The author makes sure to point out specifically how the OC differs from Roman Catholic, Lutheran and Calvinist theology in this area, though I suspect it doesn't exhaustively cover these differences.

Deborah

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 04:51:49 AM »

TheTrisagion, Tommelomsky, lovesupreme, Fotina02, Arachne, katherineofdixie, mabsoota, stavros_388, WPM, Jeremy - thanks very much for the book, online and course recommendations.  A few of those items I've had my eye on for a long time, and I know that my friend will enjoy them as well. Smiley 

Thanks again
Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 09:09:43 AM »

This is not exactly a Catechism, but it's probably what you would learn after catechism or in conjunction with it. A guide to Orthodox spirituality from the teachings of Theologian Fr. Dumitru Staniloae which is available in print, as well. Pdf is at the following link:

http://orthodoxwayoflife.blogspot.ro/2010/07/orthodox-spirituality-by-fr-dimitru.html

c.warren165
earthbound misfit

Faith: becoming Orthodox
Jurisdiction: visiting OCA

Lord save me

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »

The Cambridge Companion to Orthodox Christian Theology.

I think this book is awesome.  It's not gonna get you started with practice, but is pretty comprehensive in scope.  Starts with an historical introduction, has 10 chapters on Doctrine and Tradition, and 8 chapters on contemporary theology.

This is for a more academic approach - I have learned a lot from it.

It covers all the basics, covering various schools of thought among theologians, always relating everything back to scripture and the fathers.

-Cody

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:20:39 PM by c.warren165 » Logged

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: