OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:40:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Orthodox does it take to send a text message?  (Read 1677 times) Average Rating: 5
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2013, 07:43:26 AM »

Cyrillic how do you get the deets on all those crazy parties?

Real life conversation. I know, a little bit outdated, but it works.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »

I don't know what life was like before having a smartphone.

People were generally less distracted before their portable gadgets. When I was in grad school, it was at a time when iPods were just coming out and everyone had earbuds in their ears walking to class--even more than the folks who had headphones with walkmans back in their day. You lose a lot of the experience of just being outside walking and also of the experience of silence, which is important for mental processing and creativity. Doubtless, I will probably be called a fogey. Oh well.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »

By never typing nor ever saying deets to start with.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »

and add that with the enlarged eyes in 100k years, yup.

i agree 100% on that pic. conversations with people my age are entirely broken. we all want to be on our phones

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »

so i got a nice little check in the mail from my rent deposit/early rent whatever.

i can either get a digital to analog (DAC) converter for my audio setup or opt for a Nexus 4.

16 gb at 380.

or my dac at 419.

decisions...decisions.

im going to try to live as frugally possible this year so i can save some money and figure out what i want to do with it. either get a house or somethin else.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2013, 06:38:52 PM »

We have T-mobile. No contract, unlimited text/picture messaging, 1800 minutes shared (we never go above 1k because of free mobile to mobile), 4 cells, 1 VOIP= $115 before taxes/fees ($130 after)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 06:42:08 PM by Quinault » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »

if I didn't have  an iphone I'd  probably spend a totally inordinate amount of time in front of a computer. but now I read or write as I work or eat or drink.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »

Why would Cyrillic be putting mosquito repellent on crazy parties?

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2013, 05:47:22 PM »

By never typing nor ever saying deets to start with.

Amen.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »

[edit]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:20:19 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »

if I didn't have  an iphone I'd  probably spend a totally inordinate amount of time in front of a computer. but now I read or write as I work or eat or drink.

Incredibly, Foxconn has gotten more insane in China.

You wonder who will go to further lengths to keep their prisoners from killing themselves, the US government or Chinese corporations?

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »

Funny story:

Here in Seattle women often hit on my husband when he is out with our kids. I've seen this while we have been out and about over the last 12 years. He has a head full of gray hair, but apparently some women find daddies hot. Roll Eyes The other day he took 4 of the kids to the grocery store (the youngest 2 stayed with me at home). The 20-something woman started to flirt with my husband in the produce aisle, she was making eyes etc. in his general direction. He pulled out his ANCIENT motorola razr to check for messages and kinda ignore her. She saw his phone and immediately stopped the flirty behavior. Apparently cell phones are the new status symbol for some women. My 40 year old husband was highly amused that his cell phone is a flirty 20 something-female repellent. Cheesy

I have no idea why, but women in this area LOVE to flirt with men that have children in tow. I have seen it over and over in the almost 2 decades we have lived here. It isn't just my husband either. Although, I must say he is very, very attractive Grin

His phone:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:50:47 PM by Quinault » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »

Funny story:

Here in Seattle women often hit on my husband when he is out with our kids. The other day he took 4 of the kids to the grocery store (the youngest 2 stayed with me at home). The 20-something woman started to flirt with my husband in the produce aisle, she was making eyes etc. in his general direction. He pulled out his ANCIENT motorola razr to check for messages and kinda ignore her. She saw his phone and immediately stopped the flirty behavior. Apparently cell phones are the new status symbol for some women. My 40 year old husband was highly amused that his cell phone is a flirty 20 something-female repellent. Cheesy

If we can lift the "vulgar" language rule, I've a hilarious story.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »

Can't you flub it with other adjectives?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2013, 11:13:27 PM »

I have no idea why, but women in this area LOVE to flirt with men that have children in tow.
A man caring for his children says, "I'm not a hipster, because I actually committed to something."

Another thing that Seattle women can't get enough of is asking them about themselves instead of drowning them in a deluge of personal anecdotes and opinions.

"Hi, I'm Karen, I just graduated from the University of Realness."

"Oh nice, sweet, rad! my friend Scott went there, well actually I visited him last week, I mean I'm sort of into a few different projects and one of them takes me up there. I experiment with a lot of music, you know, various sounds. But I went to University (isn't it funny how I noticed that people from other countries say 'University' instead of 'the university'?) So I like this area a lot, yeah."

I know this is normal for most readers, but really, in Seattle/Portland certain things are in short supply.  police
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:18:55 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2013, 11:17:53 PM »

Can't you flub it with other adjectives?

It turns on a racial epithet and folks are pretty racially uptight around here.

But it is legendary.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2013, 11:19:46 PM »

I have no idea why, but women in this area LOVE to flirt with men that have children in tow.
A man caring for his children says, "I'm not a hipster, because I actually committed to something."

Another thing that Seattle women can't get enough of is asking them about themselves instead of drowning them in a deluge of personal anecdotes and opinions.

I know this is normal for most readers, but really, in Seattle/Portland certain things are in short supply.

I think this had almost 0% to do with it. It is nothing uncommon to anywhere I have lived and revolves around number of things.

Oh and hipsters have kids too, often many and use them as effectively as accouterment as anything else they own.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2013, 11:20:43 PM »

Oh and hipsters have kids too, often many and use them as effectively as accouterment as anything else they own.
Not as many up here.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2013, 11:24:34 PM »

Not as many up here.

Sample bias. You don't have kids and probably not of the age to be around those who do.

Around 33-38, they can't stop having them and talking about them and displaying them.

And to cross thread, they have a much higher rate of home schooling, as is their narcissistic wont, no one can quite create the perfect and unique world they can for their stories about being parents.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2013, 11:27:09 PM »

I guess I liked to believe that RHE style parentblogging was confined to her subculture.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2013, 11:34:22 PM »

I guess I liked to believe that RHE style parentblogging was confined to her subculture.

evos leech off the mainstream.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2013, 11:37:23 PM »

I think this had almost 0% to do with it. It is nothing uncommon to anywhere I have lived and revolves around number of things.

I'd love to hear you theories on why women hit on fathers. I really don't understand it. Single men should be pounding down my door to babysit based upon the number of women that hit on my husband *in front of me.* Those kids weren't exactly immaculate conceptions  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:37:48 PM by Quinault » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:14 PM »

Incredibly, Foxconn has gotten more insane in China.

You wonder who will go to further lengths to keep their prisoners from killing themselves, the US government or Chinese corporations?
ah yes was that where apple forced the workers to sign a legal binding agreement not to kill themselves when making ipods and iphones?

it is sheer insanity.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »

Achronos,

Enjoy supporting google's further invasion of privacy and their bloatware.

They are the new and worse MS.

Bloatware to push overblown hardware.

Except rather than just getting your money like MS was kind enough to do, they want every data point possible about you.

MS, Apple, BB, feature phones are ways to opt out of this. I've slowly been migrating away from google period.

its going to be every company soon enough. goverment is already tapping into our privacy as it is, so its moot.

look heres why i want the nexus 4 and it has not political reasons.

at $350 dollars unlocked no contract is an extremely great price for a phone that is new.

smartphones are expensive, they always have been. a high end smartphone retails at 550-650, even higher for the samsung s4. between all the makers, it is very competitive. that price is also backed when used on the second market, ebay and craigslist.

all most folks see is a $199 subsidized upgrade for a new phone. but what folks dont see is the 400 dollars extra built in monthly installments on their plan. its about 20 dollars a month extra.

the Nexus 4 is a true anomaly in all this. google sells the 16gb model for 350 on the play store, which honeslty, is $200 shy of what the device would cost ($550) if sold by lg directly. which, by the way, is exactly what the nearly-hardware-identical lg optimus g does cost.

the nexus 4 is so cheap because google is subsidizing the cost for you. how they are doing this, i have no idea, but it is freaking incredible deal.

they are seriously low balling the phone.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2013, 05:31:19 PM »

saw this app today:

Sex Offenders Search

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fibercode.sexoffenderssearch&feature=top-paid#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDIwNiwiY29tLmZpYmVyY29kZS5zZXhvZmZlbmRlcnNzZWFyY2giXQ..

WOW that is totally insane.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2013, 11:20:32 PM »

for my 4th post in a row.

I get my Nexus 4 tomorrow! You all should care so much about this...

Can't wait to take a hammer to my iPhone 4.

Anybody down to text me for some akathists?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »

Actually if anyone wants my iPhone 4, you can have it.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »

Google sent me the phone, finally.

And they included this incredible wallpaper based on my search history on Google Now

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »

And they included this incredible wallpaper based on my search history on Google Now

I've been thinking about getting a Nexus 4, as a backup phone for use while traveling(as my bb is still locked to t-mobile)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »

Get it.

It's lightning fast. It's been such a fresh breath of air.

Good riddance Apple

And get that 30 dollar a month pre-paid plan.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:08:42 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »

Get it.

It's lightning fast. It's been such a fresh breath of air.

Good riddance Apple

And get that 30 dollar a month pre-paid plan.

I'd get it for Wind Mobile (this plan http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/voice-plans.aspx?__utma=1.1340705880.1362953403.1371438571.1371606368.12&__utmb=1.2.10.1371606368&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1371438571.11.4.utmcsr=faqs.windmobile.ca|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/customer/portal/articles/219566-i-already-have-a-phone---can-i-bring-it-to-wind-&__utmv=-&__utmk=220229912 )
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 02:37:02 PM »

Ah that's right you are gonna be back in buffalo, you can buy Canadian carriers there?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »

You crack me up.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: