OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Orthodox does it take to send a text message?  (Read 1504 times) Average Rating: 5
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: May 21, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »

What cell phone and plans is everyone using?

Personally I cannot wait to get rid of my iPhone 4 an buy a Nexus 4 outright from Google and get TMO's 30 a month plan.

Thought about a tracfone, but I like to surf the webs on my commute to work.

I'm that guy texting at the urinal (inside joke).

I don't know what life was like before having a smartphone.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Santagranddad
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »

Grin A Basic Samsung mobile on PAYG. (It's not the spending of money I mind but the wear and tear on ma trews as I reach in and out for my wallet).
thefizzle656

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »

Personally I cannot wait to get rid of my iPhone 4 an buy a Nexus 4 outright from Google and get TMO's 30 a month plan.

I have a Nexus 4 on TMOs $30 prepaid plan and I love both the phone and the service. The only thing is the battery life is a little on the short side and if you talk a lot on the phone you have to be careful about using up your 100 minutes. I love the larger screen and the pure Android though.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »

I have a Nexus 4 on TMOs $30 prepaid plan and I love both the phone and the service. The only thing is the battery life is a little on the short side and if you talk a lot on the phone you have to be careful about using up your 100 minutes. I love the larger screen and the pure Android though.

Hey what's up dude, how have you been? Haven't seen you in awhile since we last spoke.

Good to hear you have the same thing I'm going for.

What case do you have?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »

$35 unlimited text / talk.

I am in front of computers enough. I could toss $15 more in and get unlimited data* as well.

*Restrictions to unlimited data absolutely apply.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »

I am in front of computers enough. I could toss $15 more in and get unlimited data* as well.

But hey ATLEAST YOU HAVE SNAKE

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:12 PM »

I'm on T-Mobile service, with the unlimited talk text and data(with the first 500mb at 4G speeds, then slower, but the slowed speed isnt bad). IM on a family plan, 3 phones for 90$(before tax and phones)

IM using the BlackBerry z10, and it is an AMAZING phone.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »

welcome to touch screens BB

you in South Park this summer?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »

But hey ATLEAST YOU HAVE SNAKE

O that this were still made:

Favorite phone, when I didn't have want to have a Blackberry.

Might upgrade to the one of the new Asha full qwertys soon.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »

I'm on T-Mobile service, with the unlimited talk text and data(with the first 500mb at 4G speeds, then slower, but the slowed speed isnt bad). IM on a family plan, 3 phones for 90$(before tax and phones)

IM using the BlackBerry z10, and it is an AMAZING phone.

If smartphones weren't ridiculously expensive, I would get a new BB. But I am smart enough not to pay for such a phone outright or through a subsidized contract, especially with such a spotty provider like T-Mobile.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »

I have an iPhone 4S and after having it for over a year I've ended up disabling most features on it like the internet browser, my ability to shop, to watch videos. etc. I pretty much just talk/text, but I can check email, take pictures, use the iPod, etc. So it still does a lot without sucking my brain out.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »

I have an iPhone 4S and after having it for over a year I've ended up disabling most features on it like the internet browser, my ability to shop, to watch videos. etc. I pretty much just talk/text, but I can check email, take pictures, use the iPod, etc. So it still does a lot without sucking my brain out.

The camera on it is relatively nice. I could see having one for that reason.

Some people just get the phone and use it as a iPod touch plus a better camera.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 07:44:45 PM »

How about that 360 Panoroma camera, oh that's so 2012.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »

BBs have had a touch screen before, i forget which one though. I had an Android, and swore i never would leave HTC, but, the phone is that good.

Also, im not in, never around, but im in the south hills this summer, for the last time.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 07:47:23 PM »

Also, im not in, never around, but im in the south hills this summer, for the last time.
No kidding? Where at? Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, Upper St. Clair, etc

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »

BBs have had a touch screen before, i forget which one though. I had an Android, and swore i never would leave HTC, but, the phone is that good.

Achronos, the BB touch screen is way better than anything else.

Give yourself a week. Everyone I know says the same thing. And they weren't committed to keeping the phone. BB rolled out some to try to get back into the market (which they won't).

Despite it being a better information manager and phone, too many people have too much invested in Android.

And really the iPhone is still the best selling phone. I love how they lump one phone in with hundreds of various android driven phone when they discuss market share.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »

Do you want him to give you the time and GPS coordinates now, while he is at it?

Montalo, check your closets.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »

Achronos, the BB touch screen is way better than anything else.

Give yourself a week. Everyone I know says the same thing. And they weren't committed to keeping the phone. BB rolled out some to try to get back into the market (which they won't).

Despite it being a better information manager and phone, too many people have too much invested in Android.

And really the iPhone is still the best selling phone. I love how they lump one phone in with hundreds of various android driven phone when they discuss market share.

iPhone sales have been slipping.

And yeah I would rather get invested in Android anyway, or atleast having pure Android without the bloatware from Google.

What's the retail sticker on one of those BB touch screen phones anyway? It still may be cheaper to got the Nexus 4 route over long term.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »

Do you want him to give you the time and GPS coordinates now, while he is at it?

Montalo, check your closets.
My .txt file for Montalo isn't large at all.

I need some new pics for my shops.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »

My church should be a goos enough clue, which i gave over pm, and shall answer any more specifics over pm only :-P
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »

So my iPhone 4 can't keep a charge anymore, and it runs through the battery so fast even when I turn the brightness low. It's on its last legs.

Love having these first world problems. Need my Nexus 4 nao.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »

I have an iPhone 4 3G from Verizon that I got for $100 because I knew the guy who works there. It works just fine for me. Battery is better than any other phone I have had. Maybe the issue is that you are charging it too fast. I never charge my iPhone until battery life reaches 10% or lower. Charging it willy nilly when it's still at like 50% + could be bad for it in the long run.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 11:12:54 PM »

....such a spotty provider like T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is garbage. NEVER go over to T-Mobile. It's like making a deal with the Devil. For starters, their coverage is average at best, plans overpriced and customer service isn't too well. I switched over to Verizon a little over a year ago and I can get much more from them for the same price I was paying T-Mobile.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 11:17:23 PM »

Well that's the thing I do wait until its 10% and charge, I never let it die. Don't know why the longevity of a lithium ion battery is.

Anyway about T-Mobile

My employer gives me a 15 percent discount. With the plan I want I can get it for 26 dollars a month.

Mch cheaper than Verizon, who I have now, and no contract.

Win win. And it's only 10 bucks for a sim card. So I it doesn't work out, get another provider.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 11:18:40 PM »

I for one love my overpriced, average quality not-nearly-as-good-as-marketing-portrays-it iPhone. Simple to use, battery life is amazing for me, reliable, and it's fast.

NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 11:21:57 PM »

I for one love my overpriced, average quality not-nearly-as-good-as-marketing-portrays-it iPhone. Simple to use, battery life is amazing for me, reliable, and it's fast.

I'm starting to use an iPad more than my phone or computer (e.g. right now) for mostly the same reasons.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 11:27:30 PM »

I'm starting to use an iPad more than my phone or computer (e.g. right now) for mostly the same reasons.

I used to use my iPad a lot, and still enjoy it as a tablet, but, nothing beats(except possibly save a QWERTY keyboard) the BlackBerry z10 keyboard.

Also, Achronos, I can personally attest that, where you are living, you will have no problems with tMobiles service.

ALso, Tmobile has wifi calling, so even if you dont have service, but have WiFi, you can make calls.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 11:28:55 PM »

Also, not charging smartphones, especially if you are a heavy user on a nightly basis is an awful idea. Then again, I can just carry a spare battery, and no problem.

Responsible usage is plugging it in whenever you get the chance, because, why wouldnt you.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 11:30:34 PM »

But that simplicity holds it back from being more customizable, especially it's UI and apps.

I really dislike Apple, too much content control and Proprietary software and hardware.

I don't want to hear the apologetic that building an iMac isn't proprietary because they use nVidia and intel components. Yeah you are only allow a certain few to choose from.

And really building your own PC is a out a third of the cost than having Apple do it.

Also apple is the most successful marketing scam sincer pretty much ever.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »

Montalo,

Wait if I do 100 minutes with TMo, I can get unlimited minutes through Wi-fi?

Then hell to the yes.

I mostly use Wifi anyway.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 11:35:31 PM »

I used to use my iPad a lot, and still enjoy it as a tablet, but, nothing beats(except possibly save a QWERTY keyboard) the BlackBerry z10 keyboard.

Also, Achronos, I can personally attest that, where you are living, you will have no problems with tMobiles service.

ALso, Tmobile has wifi calling, so even if you dont have service, but have WiFi, you can make calls.

Any idea if the iPad's 3G service works abroad, in Eastern Europe?
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »

Montalo,

Wait if I do 100 minutes with TMo, I can get unlimited minutes through Wi-fi?

Then hell to the yes.

I mostly use Wifi anyway.
Wait, what plans are being offered to you through work or wherever you're getting the service through?

Because, the new TMobile plans are unlimited talk, text, and data for all plans, the only question is how much of that data is 4G
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 11:38:24 PM »

My iPad is WiFi only, but I've done research for others, and, my advice is to get it unlocked, and use a local carrier's SIM card instead of roaming data, which you can do, and is a carrier question.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 11:41:19 PM »

My iPad is WiFi only, but I've done research for others, and, my advice is to get it unlocked, and use a local carrier's SIM card instead of roaming data, which you can do, and is a carrier question.

Thanks. I have WiFi only too right now and was thinking about switching it for the 3G- but if getting it to work over there is a hassle I probably won't do it.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 12:06:08 AM »

Achronos,

Enjoy supporting google's further invasion of privacy and their bloatware.

They are the new and worse MS.

Bloatware to push overblown hardware.

Except rather than just getting your money like MS was kind enough to do, they want every data point possible about you.

MS, Apple, BB, feature phones are ways to opt out of this. I've slowly been migrating away from google period.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »

I have a pay as you go from Virgin Mobile. I hate their free ringtones, but I got a free phone by paying $20 for the first three months. To keep your phone number you pay $20/3 months. End of message.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:22 AM »

I have Virgin Mobile as well.  I spend $20 every month for 200 minutes.  Texts cost me 15 cents.  Web use costs $1.50 a day.  My only gripe is that Virgin Mobile charges the web use fee if you "top up" from the phone.  I don't use a lot of minutes, text a lot nor use the web.

Part of me wants an iPhone 5 which would help with Internet access because I have none where I live.  Most of my bar trivia team has iPhone 5 with a couple of holdouts sticking with Android phones.  I also like the iPad mini.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 02:35:59 AM »

I dont have a cell phone

I have no one to text Wink

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 03:05:15 AM »

I have an old Nokia clamshell (can't be bothered to look up the model now) on Orange Camel (PAYG with low international rates). I only have it to be reachable when out of the house and as a backup for calling my mum in Greece when we're away from home, hence the plan. Occasionally I make small payments here and there by text message as well. That's about it. I suppose I'll get a smartphone when this one dies, but I really don't care for a replacement right now.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:05:49 AM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2013, 04:05:05 AM »

I don't have a cell phone.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2013, 04:14:27 AM »

I don't have a cell phone.

We have an answer! It takes three orthodox to send a text message!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 06:19:35 AM »

In this thread we're still in the minority. We'll have to make them see the errors of their cell-phone using ways.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 07:25:16 AM »

When asked for my cell number I say I'm not a prisoner.

Love, elephant
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 07:35:37 AM »

Cyrillic how do you get the deets on all those crazy parties?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2013, 07:37:08 AM »

Cyrillic how do you get the deets on all those crazy parties?

Smoke signals. angel

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: