OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 12:37:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Vote for favorite or most favorable recent pope
John Paul II
Benedict XVI
Francis I
Paul VI
John XXIII
Pius XII

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just for fun: vote for your favorite or most favorable pope in recent years  (Read 796 times) Average Rating: 0
Surnaturel

Faith: Roman Catholic

« on: May 21, 2013, 02:43:26 AM »

Just for fun, let us know which pope you connected with the most.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:52:05 AM »

I don't think it's fair to include Pope Francis on that list; he's only just begun whereas we at least can decisively make a conclusion about Pope Benedict's pontificate, which has itself concluded.

Based on my very limited knowledge of the popes of this century (I was born in '88), I'd have to say I'm most connected to Pope Benedict XVI. While he didn't have the charisma and globe-trotting savvy of Pope John Paul II, I thought he did much to preserve the orthodoxy within the Roman Catholic Church. He maintained good relations with the Eastern Orthodox Church and expressed genuine but realistic yearnings for unity. I think he was just the pope that Rome needed, and I was pleasantly shocked to find out that he was willfully retiring. I think he realized his own limits, especially those exacerbated by his failing health, and chose what was right for the people to whom he's accountable. That's pretty admirable when you're the most powerful religious leader in the world.

I pray that his remaining years bring him closer to God.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:00:39 AM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Surnaturel

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »

Hey lovesupreme, tha is for the response. I questioned whether I should include Pope Francis since it is not possible to make a determination but I did just for the fact that he is our current pope. I agree with defy thing you said about Benedict XVI, his theology, his silent suffering meeting with victims of sex abuse around the world with no publicity or media allowed, etc.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »

Pope Benedict XVI. I enjoyed his lectures on the Fathers.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »

HH Pope Benedict XVI for sure, but with great love & admiration for HH Pope John Paul II as well. I'm so far very impressed with HH Pope Francis.

During these difficult times, the Catholic Church has been very blessed to have these three men as Popes.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
DuxI

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Macedonian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »

Definitely Pope Benedict XVI.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »

Wait, I don't see Pope Shenouda III on the list.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »

Benedict XVI was the most orthodox Pope in centuries. And therefore the most revolutionary and creative. A seminal figure in the history of Christendom.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »

I'm going to say Pope Francis because he is the first Latin American to really rise to that position and I find it inspirational. I think (or at least hope) that he will do more to help South and Central America's problems instead of just focusing on Europe like many Popes have.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 02:03:10 PM »

Benedict XVI. My interest in Catholicism declined considerably after his resignation.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 02:25:51 PM »

None of the above.
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 02:34:59 PM »

Pope Benedict XVI, who did so much to improve the state of liturgy in the Roman rite.
Surnaturel

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 09:07:39 PM »

Pope Benedict XVI, who did so much to improve the state of liturgy in the Roman rite.
I have to agree on that point. If you read his 'Spirit of the Liturgy' he hints at his plan for bringing back the Tridentine Rite which is brilliant. It is no secret that he had an affection for the Latin mass even though there was some things that he personally didn't like. In any case, he had hoped, and prob still is hoping, that as RC priests are once again trained in both rites, that elements of the Tridentine Rite will bleed into the Novus Ordo, organically, much like the Divine Liturgy and the Tridentine mass originated. I have already noticed it at my parish where incense are used ever Sunday and two Latin hymns are sung each mass, and we still get to listen to the homily in the vernacular which is prob the best part of the Novus Ordo.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 11:15:20 PM »

Benedict XVI was the most orthodox Pope in centuries. And therefore the most revolutionary and creative. A seminal figure in the history of Christendom.

This. 

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »

Blessed John Paul II.

I'm of Polish ancestry so that one is obvious. Seriously though, I feel that he was a very good Pope. I admired his respect for the Eastern churches and his attempts to make amends for offenses done in the name of Catholicism toward the Orthodox, Muslims, and Jews. I also greatly respect his call for Eastern Catholics to restore their own traditions and getting rid of Latinizations.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »

Pope Benedict.

Kudos to him for resigning! (That's not why I picked him, but it needed to be said.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »

Pope Benedict (I like his liturgical views - although I am disappointed that he had very little impact on the celebration of the Mass in the Latin diocese where I live).

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »

I'm sorry you didn't include Pope John Paul I on your list; the gentle "smiling Pope" of 30 days is still my personal favorite.  Smiley

(and Pope Francis actually reminds me a lot of him.)

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »

and we still get to listen to the homily in the vernacular which is prob the best part of the Novus Ordo.

I don't think that pre-Vatican II masses had Latin homilies. One could hardly expect every parish priest to be a Cicero or a Quintilian.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:35:05 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »

I'm sorry you didn't include Pope John Paul I on your list; the gentle "smiling Pope" of 30 days is still my personal favorite.  Smiley

(and Pope Francis actually reminds me a lot of him.)

All the comparisons people were making between Francis and John Paul I drove me to the Vatican website to read whatever homilies and speeches he was able to make in his month long reign.  Very inspiring words, powerful in their simplicity...I can only imagine the person and what his pontificate would've accomplished. 

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »

He was definitely the most orthodox-friendly.  His was a scholarly and brilliant mind that, I'm sorry to say, the Vatican may well not see again.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 12:45:42 PM »

“If investments in the banks fail, ‘Oh, it’s a tragedy,’ ” he said, speaking extemporaneously for more than 40 minutes at a Pentecost vigil last weekend, after a private audience with the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, the architect of Europe’s austerity policies. “But if people die of hunger or don’t have food or health, nothing happens. This is our crisis today.”

Francis’ Humility and Emphasis on the Poor Strike a New Tone at the Vatican
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/world/europe/pope-francis-changes-tone-at-the-vatican.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Well I guess that settles my choice.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: