OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:02:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does Orthodox Liturgy  (Read 1614 times) Average Rating: 0
jewish voice
Elder

« on: May 19, 2013, 06:53:28 AM »

Start so early. all the Orthodox Church's in my area start at like 8 or 9 am I think they would push it back to 7 am if they could but why is it so early. most other church's are not till 10 or 11. Is their a reason for Liturgy to be this early or is it to just get it done and out of the way so you can get on with your day.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:03:11 AM »

Finnish liturgies  start 10am on sundays and 9am on other days but I think we're an exception on global scale. At least I've understood that EO liturgies tend start earlier than in other churches. Perhaps it has something to do with the liturgical cycle of the day?
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 07:14:07 AM »

In the UK there's a wide variety of timetables. Some parishes share church buildings with RC or Anglican congregations and have to wait until those services are over before starting. If the parish congregation is very scattered and have long drives, they may start later to give everyone time to get there. The climate can be a factor as well - avoiding drives in the dark and/or in sub-zero temperatures.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »

Is their a reason for Liturgy to be this early

Eucharistic fast.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »

Eucharistic fast.
I'm guessing you mean not eating the night or day before. makes sense but couldn't you just sleep in  Smiley
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »

Eucharistic fast.
I'm guessing you mean not eating the night or day before. makes sense but couldn't you just sleep in  Smiley
Loue not sleepe, lest thou come to pouertie: open thine eyes, and thou shalt be satisfied with bread. -Proverbs 20:13 Wink

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »

9am is "early"? 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »

9am is "early"? 
when everyone else is at 11 am 9am is early no. I was just wondering why
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »

Everyone else does not have Liturgy that lat 1:20 at least.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »

I know I'm a minority in the Orthodox world, but personally, I'd prefer a late morning Liturgy.  They are typically earlier because of the Eucharistic fast, so I'll wake up and suffer with those who are eager to eat, but I and like minded people are eager to sleep, and no one thinks to starve with us.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

10am is quite late for the start of the Orthodox Liturgy.

If we look at from the liturgical cycle, Liturgy is prescribed to begin after the chanting of the Great Doxology in Orthros. The Great Doxology is suppose to begin at sunrise. So Liturgy would begin shortly after sunrise.

Joseph
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 01:37:25 PM »

Everyone else does not have Liturgy that lat 1:20 at least.
Mass is just about as long I have been to both really not much difference beside a few words and one sits more than the other.
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »

I know I'm a minority in the Orthodox world, but personally, I'd prefer a late morning Liturgy.  They are typically earlier because of the Eucharistic fast, so I'll wake up and suffer with those who are eager to eat, but I and like minded people are eager to sleep, and no one thinks to starve with us.  Smiley
sleeping in sounds great why can't they hold two like the Rc do
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »

If we look at from the liturgical cycle, Liturgy is prescribed to begin after the chanting of the Great Doxology in Orthros. The Great Doxology is suppose to begin at sunrise. So Liturgy would begin shortly after sunrise.
so you saying it should be 7am then
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 01:51:20 PM »

How widespread is this beyond the "Greek" tradition?  In all the Oriental traditions, and in my limited experience with the Slavic traditions, Liturgy begins after the prayer of the Sixth Hour.  That's noon...10am is pretty early.  Wink

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »

Sleepyhead that I am, I will not agree with this as a general practice. 

Orthodox practice is for a priest not to celebrate more than one Liturgy on one altar in a single day.  The Lord is one, the sacrifice is one, the Church is one, the community is one, so we worship as one.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »

According to my recollection the Divine Liturgy should take place between the First Hour (0600 hrs) and the Sixth Hour (1200 hrs). And Arimethea is quite correct as far as the Greek usage is concerned.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »

How widespread is this beyond the "Greek" tradition?  In all the Oriental traditions, and in my limited experience with the Slavic traditions, Liturgy begins after the prayer of the Sixth Hour.  That's noon...10am is pretty early.  Wink

The typicon for both Greek and Slavic traditions is the same on when Liturgy is to take place, and is followed in the monastic tradition of both. What you see happen in a parish setting is an accommodation to get the most people possible at the Liturgy. 

Joseph
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »

The typicon for both Greek and Slavic traditions is the same on when Liturgy is to take place, and is followed in the monastic tradition of both. What you see happen in a parish setting is an accommodation to get the most people possible at the Liturgy. 

That's true that Greeks and Arabis begin the Liturgy immediately after the Great Doxology, however, as Mor Ephrem mentioned, between the Matins and Liturgy there are hours. And I know that Greeks and Arabs shorten Matins (I mean they do not have any litany after the Great Doxology and the 1st hour as we have) and in typical parishes they do not have also hours.

Personally, I prefer later Liturgies on Sunday (as e.g second Liturgy in my parish starts at 10) to have more sleep, but on weekdays at 7 or something like that, to just be able to attend it. Of course I don't count Great Lent, Holy Week and some other special occasions.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »

Chapter 8 of the Slavonic typikon/Typikon of St. Sabbas of Jerusalem states that Liturgy on Sunday is to begin about the 3rd hour of the day (9am) so that the trapeza may be set at the 4th hour of the day (10am).  The 3rd and 6th hours are read "in advance" in the monastic ordo because the time of their normal serving is supplanted by the Liturgy.  
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »

That's true that Greeks and Arabis begin the Liturgy immediately after the Great Doxology, however, as Mor Ephrem mentioned, between the Matins and Liturgy there are hours. And I know that Greeks and Arabs shorten Matins (I mean they do not have any litany after the Great Doxology and the 1st hour as we have) and in typical parishes they do not have also hours.

The litany at the end of matins is always read, but silently. The difference comes from the Slavic practice of reading Matins in the evening. So in Slavic practice you lose Compline and the Midnight Office, while in Greek parish practice you lose the Hours.

In monasteries, however, it's quite common for the 1st Hour to be read in the Liturgy, during the Communion of the Clergy, and for the 3rd and 6th Hours to be read by the monks in their cells at the appropriate time. Alternatively, the 1st, 3rd and 6th Hours are read together after Matins.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »

Canons don't allow more than one liturgy a day. At least not on the same altar.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:08:49 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 05:20:19 PM »

Not uncommon in the "old world."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »

Chapter 8 of the Slavonic typikon/Typikon of St. Sabbas of Jerusalem states that Liturgy on Sunday is to begin about the 3rd hour of the day (9am) so that the trapeza may be set at the 4th hour of the day (10am).  The 3rd and 6th hours are read "in advance" in the monastic ordo because the time of their normal serving is supplanted by the Liturgy.  

Out of curiosity I am wonder which edition you are quoting out of? I just took a look at my copy of Venice 1545, and just like the two copies of the Great Church Typikon, the subject of Sunday services are both covered in the first section. In all these editions the assumption is that the Liturgy is the completion of a true all-night monastic vigil.

Joseph
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »

and not by the same person...even if he is a Bishop
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »

and not by the same person...even if he is a Bishop

Well, a bishop can allow any priest (even himself) to do it in extreme circumstances.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »

Start so early. all the Orthodox Church's in my area start at like 8 or 9 am I think they would push it back to 7 am if they could but why is it so early. most other church's are not till 10 or 11. Is their a reason for Liturgy to be this early or is it to just get it done and out of the way so you can get on with your day.

LOL, get it done and out of the way?  Have you ever been to DL?  My parish starts Orthros at 9, same time as my wife's Methodist Church's service.  I am done w/ church around 1pm, she is home and done eating by the time I get home.  If we started it at 11, I wouldn't get home until 3!

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44:22 PM »

In the Coptic tradition it is against the canons to have the Liturgy end past noon on Sundays and feast days, since there is no fasting on these days, so Communion has to be done before noon. We start the raising of incense around 8, and finish the Liturgy by 11:15-11:30 outside of lent, 11:30-12:00 in Lent. Some start at 9 and are not so strict in making sure it is ended by noon, but technically it should be.  So for us, there is very little room for adjustment on a start time, since the only alternative is to go very early in the morning when people aren't likely to come (though if there are two liturgies, the first one will usually be at 6:00 or so and and by 9 for the next one to end by noon).

During Lent, the Liturgy should be prayed in the afternoon to allow people to fast, but when a feast day, like Annunciation comes, the Liturgy is done early in the morning since strict abstinence (no food and drink) is not allowed even when fasting (from animal products) is maintained.

Do EO have a similar prohibition, or is fasting permitted on Sundays?
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 06:48:37 PM »

I don't know if there is a canon on that or not in EO, but after DL, we go up and get a blessing from the priest which takes awhile and then we have the catechumen's class.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 07:14:51 PM »

In the Coptic tradition it is against the canons to have the Liturgy end past noon on Sundays and feast days, since there is no fasting on these days, so Communion has to be done before noon. We start the raising of incense around 8, and finish the Liturgy by 11:15-11:30 outside of lent, 11:30-12:00 in Lent. Some start at 9 and are not so strict in making sure it is ended by noon, but technically it should be.  So for us, there is very little room for adjustment on a start time, since the only alternative is to go very early in the morning when people aren't likely to come (though if there are two liturgies, the first one will usually be at 6:00 or so and and by 9 for the next one to end by noon).

During Lent, the Liturgy should be prayed in the afternoon to allow people to fast, but when a feast day, like Annunciation comes, the Liturgy is done early in the morning since strict abstinence (no food and drink) is not allowed even when fasting (from animal products) is maintained.

Do EO have a similar prohibition, or is fasting permitted on Sundays?
The Eucharistic fast is always maintained - generally understood as from midnight preceding the receiving of Communion. A few years ago because of our need to rent facilities our Liturgy would begin at 3 or even 4 pm on Sunday, we were allowed a light breakfast - within any fasting requirements, of course, for Lent and the other fasting seasons - so long as we maintained a strict (i.e. total) fast for at least six hours. In my understanding, other feast days would follow the same pattern as for Sundays.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »

My Antiochian parish has Matins at approximately 9:30, and Liturgy starts about 10:30. It's nice, but I could see an early Liturgy being nice too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:33:36 PM by Nephi » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »

Canon law states that you can only have one Liturgy per altar every 24 hours and most Orthodox Churches aren't as wealthy as Roman Catholic Churches and thus cannot afford to have more than one altar in the parish.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »

Never mind that two altar tables only keeps the letter of the law and not its spirit. But in exceptional and necessary cases the canon was made for man, not man for the canon.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 05:17:12 AM »

Canon law states that you can only have one Liturgy per altar every 24 hours and most Orthodox Churches aren't as wealthy as Roman Catholic Churches and thus cannot afford to have more than one altar in the parish.

Many here do. Some parishes even have multiple churches.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 07:32:36 AM »

I know I'm a minority in the Orthodox world, but personally, I'd prefer a late morning Liturgy.  They are typically earlier because of the Eucharistic fast, so I'll wake up and suffer with those who are eager to eat, but I and like minded people are eager to sleep, and no one thinks to starve with us.  Smiley

Not quite, the Liturgy of Holy Saturday and that of Pascha will normally be within 24 hours - it is only within the day itself. The limitation is not only of Altars, and Antimensions but also number of Priests to celebrate - regularly celebrating two Liturgies would also be too draining for a single choir etc...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:33:14 AM by mildert » Logged

In XC,

Deacon Philip
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:13 AM »

9am is "early"? 

Given the choice, I'd prefer a 7am Liturgy.

In XC,

Deacon Philip
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 03:53:32 AM »

I have heard some of the largest churches have three altars, that is, one in center, and two on either side.

Would this be permissible with the orthodox? three communions, but in one church and liturgy... but three altars... and three priests... hmm...

if only the fathers went through every possibility...

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 07:35:18 AM »

I have heard some of the largest churches have three altars, that is, one in center, and two on either side.

Would this be permissible with the orthodox? three communions, but in one church and liturgy... but three altars... and three priests... hmm...

if only the fathers went through every possibility...

One of the churches where I live has three altars, and it's not even a cathedral, but a reasonable-sized parish church. Not sure how often the side altars are used, though. Multiple altars are common in the "old countries", and not only in cathedrals. Even many village churches have two altars, allowing for an early and later liturgy.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »

So I can catch the Manchester United game at 11am Eastern Time......

PP
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:54:04 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »

Not sure how often the side altars are used, though. Multiple altars are common in the "old countries", and not only in cathedrals. Even many village churches have two altars, allowing for an early and later liturgy.

Though there is a trend toward having only one altar in a church, it's pretty common for Indian churches to have three altars: the main one in the center, and one on either side.  The side altars get more use in larger churches with more than one Liturgy scheduled for the day, but often enough they are consecrated but only used once or twice a year in a typical parish.  We have a rule that, if erecting more than one altar, the number has to be odd (three is the minimum if you're going to have more than one).     

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
liftsifter
St David the King

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

Weeping Icon of Our Lady of Cicero

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 01:38:58 AM »

Considering we chant all prayers in both English and Arabic, we begin Orthos at 9:15AM and Divine Liturgy begins at 10:30 until 12:30. Memorial services, removal of crowns and churching all extend this time, as well. Personally, I've asked Father to push back Orthos to 8AM and Divine Liturgy to 9:15, simply so that I have more time during the day as opposed to spending an entire morning being unable to eat and waiting to leave to Church.

Just my two cents, though.

"And the King will say to them, ‘Verily I say to you, inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these my bretheren, you have done it to Me.’" Matthew 25
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »

Orthros/Matins usually starts at 9:00 or 9:15, with Liturgy starting at 10:00. However, in Greece, Orthros would begin at 8:00 or 8:30, and Liturgy would be whenever they get to it. You wouldn't leave till about 12:30 or 1:00.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »

Check the Church schedule, in spite of the perception online that all parishes regularly schedule Orthos/Matins prior to Liturgy and that all of the faithful attend both services, that is not always the case. Some Dioceses are more rigorous than others, some priests more than others.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 02:08:45 PM »

Not uncommon in the "old world."

In the good ole US of A, it seems to me that 10AM is the most common start time.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »

You wouldn't leave till about 12:30 or 1:00.

Shocked I've never been to a Liturgy that went on after 11am, in town or country.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: