Author Topic: Another CME hitting the earth. No wonder I feel so blaaaaaaaa  (Read 7195 times)

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
As Earth's magnetic field reverberates from one CME strike, a second more potent CME is on the way. It was propelled in our direction by sunspot AR1748, which unleashed an M3-class solar flare on May 17th (0858 UT). Although this is not the strongest flare we've seen from AR1748, it could be the most geoeffective; the sunspot was almost-squarely facing Earth when the blast occurred. NOAA forecasters estimate a 75% chance of polar geomagnetic storms when the cloud arrives.

For more information, go to www.spaceweather.com

My husband says that he feels stiff and sore and tired.

My head feels like it is going to explode.

One benefit: the sky is so beautiful at night with aurora borealis even at lower altitudes.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
Re: Another CME hitting the earth. No wonder I feel so blaaaaaaaa
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
Here is a spectacular photo taken in Iowa:

The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »

Wow!  Iowa?
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Maria

• Toumarches

Offline Maria

• Toumarches

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »

I need to take look tonight!  That's beautiful!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:29:53 AM »

Too bad it's overcast and raining where I am. :(
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
We just got hit by that CME around 3 PDT today.

Here is the graph from NOAA that is updated every 5 minutes.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_5m.html

Notice all the C-flares in the last few hours -- those are intense.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 09:15:56 PM »

I hope you are not in Tornado alley. News reports say that there are some ferocious tornado storms with hail the size of grapefruit.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:24:16 PM by Maria »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »

I need to take look tonight!  That's beautiful!

I hope you are not in Tornado alley.
Nah. Here, when it rains, we get a misty to light/moderate rain that continues for days and maybe one good thunderstorm every couple of years. If we ever do get a tornado, it's usually only strong enough to relocate an empty dumpster. The strongest tornado ever recorded in this part of the country would register as weaker than average for the Midwest.

News reports say that there are some ferocious tornado storms with hail the size of grapefruit.
The biggest hail stone I've ever seen here was the size of a pea. Usually they're the size of BB's.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:44:01 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 10:38:25 PM »
Never stop doing this. Really I am sad to see you stopped journaling all of this in a single thread.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
A stream of solar wind blowing from a southern coronal hole on the sun is expected to brush past Earth's magnetic field on May 23-24. NOAA forecasters estimate a 30% chance that the contact will spark polar geomagnetic storms.

www.spaceweather.com

For those who like to take pictures of auroras, this might be a good time.

With the M5 at 1332 UT May22, my husband and I awoke feeling drowsy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:13:23 PM by Maria »

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
As Earth's magnetic field reverberates from one CME strike, a second more potent CME is on the way. It was propelled in our direction by sunspot AR1748, which unleashed an M3-class solar flare on May 17th (0858 UT). Although this is not the strongest flare we've seen from AR1748, it could be the most geoeffective; the sunspot was almost-squarely facing Earth when the blast occurred. NOAA forecasters estimate a 75% chance of polar geomagnetic storms when the cloud arrives.

One benefit: the sky is so beautiful at night with aurora borealis even at lower altitudes.
I may sound like an idiot for asking, but do solar flares really have this affect on the body? I've been feeling exhausted and my neck is extremely stiff.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:11:46 PM »
Earth's magnetic field is calming down on June 1st following nearly 15 hours of non-stop geomagnetic storming. The storminess was caused by the arrival of an interplanetary shock wave on May 31st (1618 UT). The source of the shock is unknown. ... More storms could be in the offing tonight as the solar wind continues to blow faster than 600 km/s.

To read the complete article, please visit www.spaceweather.com

Look at these pictures of auroras tonight. The one shown below is from Wisconsin.
http://spaceweather.com/gallery/index.php?&title=aurora&title2=lights&starting_point=50
http://spaceweather.com/gallery/index.php?&title=aurora&title2=lights&starting_point=0

There are even some from down under that are spectacular.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:13:15 PM by Maria »

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 11:20:55 PM »

I need to take look tonight!  That's beautiful!

I hope you are not in Tornado alley.
Nah. Here, when it rains, we get a misty to light/moderate rain that continues for days and maybe one good thunderstorm every couple of years. If we ever do get a tornado, it's usually only strong enough to relocate an empty dumpster. The strongest tornado ever recorded in this part of the country would register as weaker than average for the Midwest.

News reports say that there are some ferocious tornado storms with hail the size of grapefruit.
The biggest hail stone I've ever seen here was the size of a pea. Usually they're the size of BB's.

Consider yourself lucky.  While not directly in Tornado Alley, we do get several tornados every spring/early summer.  And the hail those storms sometimes bring are typically nickel to quarter sized.  Tornados are frightening and folks around these parts take notice right quick when they're in the forecast. 
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »

I may sound like an idiot for asking, but do solar flares really have this affect on the body? I've been feeling exhausted and my neck is extremely stiff.

Must be.

My husband was exhausted last night and this morning.
He did not do any extremely heavy lifting, nothing that could account for this weariness.
Everytime we get zapped by high energy levels from space, he feels tired and stiff.
Otherwise, he is very involved in gardening, working on cars, and reading engineering manuals.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »
Even though there are sunspots on the solar surface, there have been no huge earth-bound CMEs.

However, this glorious picture was taken of the sky at sunset in Canada.

http://spaceweather.com/
AURORAS + NOCTILUCENT CLOUDS: On Sunday, June 9th, Alan Dyer of Gleichen, Alberta, Canada, went outside to see the colors of the sunset. He got more than he bargained for. Stacked atop the rosy glow of twilight were dual bands of electric-blue noctilucent clouds and green auroras:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:01:38 PM by Maria »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »
This cloud formation pictured below is not the result of a CME, but of a thunderstorm.

see: www.spaceweather.com

MAMMATUS OVER MICHIGAN: Yesterday, a rain squall blew through Iron Mountain, Michigan, and left some unusual clouds in its wake. Laura Tappy snapped this picture:

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:28 AM »
Actually, during this week, there are few sunspots, and solar activity has been unremarkable.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 12:28:20 AM »
Actually, during this week, there are few sunspots, and solar activity has been unremarkable.

Hi Maria,

I do not keep track of this like I should, but the first thing I did on your last post was turn on my shortwave radio because of the effect these have on propagation. I wasn't disappointed.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 09:21:40 PM »

Hi Maria,

I do not keep track of this like I should, but the first thing I did on your last post was turn on my shortwave radio because of the effect these have on propagation. I wasn't disappointed.

Today, we had a C1 solar eruption that broke the silence.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
ERUPTING MAGNETIC FILAMENTS: During the late hours of July 26th, two filaments of magnetism erupted on the sun. ...

The explosions hurled coronal mass ejections (CMEs) into space: movie. One of them (the one propelled by the filament connecting AR1800 and AR1805) might be heading in the general direction of Earth.

http://spaceweather.com/

http://spaceweather.com/images2013/27jul13/loop_anim.gif?PHPSESSID=6v9ah47uo10v6v33a7jmr1chv4

We should have some spectacular auroras. If the CME hits us, Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:07:42 PM by Maria »

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
MARIA MARIA!

what is this!?!?!

http://www.space.com/22059-sun-hole-photo-nasa-video.html

EDIT:

oh is that what you put on july 24th?

what happens if the cme hits us! oh my!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:35:20 AM by Gunnarr »
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »
MARIA MARIA!

what is this!?!?!

http://www.space.com/22059-sun-hole-photo-nasa-video.html

EDIT:

oh is that what you put on july 24th?

what happens if the cme hits us! oh my!

UPDATE: A CME might be earth bound: www.spaceweather.com

After weeks of quiet, solar activity is picking up. New sunspot AR1817 is crackling with C- and M-class solar flares. An M1.5-class eruption on August 12th (1041 UT) created a wave of ionization in the upper atmosphere above Europe and might have hurled a coronal mass ejection toward Earth. Stay tuned for updates.

Check out this graph showing C- and M-class solar flares:

As for that massive coronal hole, yes, I have heard about it, but it seems to directs flares upwards in a direction that will not affect earth. Thank God! I think we are being protected.

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes great electric bill."
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 03:35:43 AM »
I am not really all that worried, but more like fascinated. Is there some Satellite footage we can get of some of this stuff?

"The LORD gives victory to his anointed."
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »
ANOTHER CME IS ON THE WAY: As Earth passes through the wake of one CME, which did little to stir geomagnetic activity on Aug. 20th, another CME is on the way. NOAA forecasters expect a coronal mass ejection hurled into space yesterday by an erupting magnetic filament to deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on Aug. 23rd. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

www.spaceweather.com

I saw a picture of that CME just before the comet hit the sun. It was awesome.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »
For folks who live in Finland or other area around the poles: Aurora watch.

POLAR STORM WARNING: Two CMEs are heading for Earth. The plasma clouds were expelled from the sun on August 20-21 by a pair of erupting magnetic filaments. NOAA forecasters expect the CMEs to arrive on August 23-24, possibly sparking geomagnetic storms around the poles.

Source: www.spaceweather.com

There is a photo at spaceweather showing the land of the midnight sun (Finland) ten minutes after midnight. Instead of being dark, it looks like it is only three PM. Amazing auroras too. How does one sleep when the sun is out all day and all night?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:37:00 PM by Maria »

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 09:27:23 AM »
CME mega-storm near-miss in July 2012:

July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.

Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn't mention it. The "impactor" was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years.

"If it had hit, we would still be picking up the pieces," says Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado.

Baker, along with colleagues from NASA and other universities, published a seminal study of the storm in the December 2013 issue of the journal Space Weather.  Their paper, entitled "A major solar eruptive event in July 2012," describes how a powerful coronal mass ejection (CME) tore through Earth orbit on July 23, 2012.  Fortunately Earth wasn't there.  Instead, the storm cloud hit the STEREO-A spacecraft.
Before July 2012, when researchers talked about extreme solar storms their touchstone was the iconic Carrington Event of Sept. 1859....

A similar storm today could have a catastrophic effect. According to a study by the National Academy of Sciences, the total economic impact could exceed $2 trillion or 20 times greater than the costs of a Hurricane Katrina. Multi-ton transformers damaged by such a storm might take years to repair.

"In my view the July 2012 storm was in all respects at least as strong as the 1859 Carrington event," says Baker. "The only difference is, it missed."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:28:12 AM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.