OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 09:19:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint (O Agios) Donatos  (Read 2654 times) Average Rating: 0
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« on: May 18, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »

It's a long time since I studied this period of Church History, but I seem to recall a rather severe dispute between Augustine (of Hippo) and Donatus, in which Augustine took a more lenient line than Donatus on reinstating those who fell during persecution. Is "Donatus" that same man as Saint Donatos to whom the church at Suli (or Souli) is dedicated? If so, how is he viewed in Orthodoxy? The church even has a flag I've never noticed elsewhere flying outside, alongside the yellow two-headed eagle of Byzantium, and is obviously a place of pilgrimage.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »

It's a long time since I studied this period of Church History, but I seem to recall a rather severe dispute between Augustine (of Hippo) and Donatus, in which Augustine took a more lenient line than Donatus on reinstating those who fell during persecution. Is "Donatus" that same man as Saint Donatos to whom the church at Suli (or Souli) is dedicated?

No. It refers to St. Donatus of Evorea.

If so, how is he viewed in Orthodoxy?

As a heretic.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:12:53 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 03:51:56 AM »

Thank you.

Please tell me more about O Agios Donatos - the one to whom the church at Suli/Souli in Epirus is designated. What was special about his life, character, and deeds?

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:46:48 AM »

Thank you.

Please tell me more about O Agios Donatos - the one to whom the church at Suli/Souli in Epirus is designated. What was special about his life, character, and deeds?

This is what the Greek wiki has to say about him. There's the usual auto-translation gibberish, but enough makes sense to make clear why he's revered.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: