OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 06:08:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dowsing and divning rods, what does the Church say?  (Read 5043 times) Average Rating: 0
converted viking

« on: May 18, 2013, 11:12:42 AM »

Hey everyone:

So I am wondering what the Church teaches about the use of divining rods and dowsing not for monetary gain but for finding water.   Any thoughts  or real church teaching on this would be appreciated.   My immediate thoughts about this is that it is a big NO NO.

Converted Viking
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »

They are.  The old English term for a dowser was a 'Water Witch.'  It's origins are in the occult: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing

Hey everyone:

So I am wondering what the Church teaches about the use of divining rods and dowsing not for monetary gain but for finding water.   Any thoughts  or real church teaching on this would be appreciated.   My immediate thoughts about this is that it is a big NO NO.

Converted Viking

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »

Hey everyone:

Converted Viking
Does the Church have a specific teaching on every specific practice man has ever thought of or will think of? Or does the Church give us general doctrinal principles that we have to interpret so we can understand how they apply to a specific scenario?
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »

I remember trying to use a dowsing rod when I was 11.

In the end, I found some water. Problem was, I already knew it was there.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 03:29:41 PM »

The canons specifically condemn witchcraft, of which water witching is a natural part of.

Here is another resource: http://www.notofthisworldicons.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001061-1272665140, the writings of St. John Chrysostom.

Hey everyone:

Converted Viking
Does the Church have a specific teaching on every specific practice man has ever thought of or will think of? Or does the Church give us general doctrinal principles that we have to interpret so we can understand how they apply to a specific scenario?

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
WPM
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Pray for us.
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »

I think its something associated with Pagan wicca or Witchcraft.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »

I think its something associated with Pagan wicca or Witchcraft.

lol
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »

This sort of thing was popular among older generations of hill people.  Rather than praying to find water, they would often say some type of incantation that would sometimes mention God or Jesus.  And although it's called 'water witching', I'm positive it's got nothing to do with Wicca.

Here's an article I found online from my part of the world:
http://www.tuppenceworth.ie/biglife/dowsing.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:32:06 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »

It used to be popular here.

The canons specifically condemn witchcraft, of which water witching is a natural part of.

You sure about the 2nd part?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:27:41 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »

In Greece, as well. People who could do it were considered gifted and (I think) received a blessing before an attempt. In my neck of the woods, the last such were in the time of my grandfather, so I don't know details, but it was not particularly frowned upon (if it was, I'd probably have heard).

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »

I recommend turning on the faucet to find water.  It is much more reliable than divining rods.  Tongue

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »

It should be ok imo. It seems like a harmless folk thing/superstition. I always smile when i think how a priest I know and am distantly related to, after seeing his unction and prayers didn't work, took my dad's cousin and her daughter put them in his car and drove them to see an old "wise" woman some 20 km away.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »

The church has always taught that superstitions and astrology or similar things are not compatible with Faith in God, and Jesus said you could move a mountain with a mustard seed portion of Faith.

So if you do those other things that are not derived from God, you are saying he is less powerful than those things, thus insulting to God.
I have looked at horoscopes , but I give credit to God if it helps me, which they never do really. I find myself reading them even though I do not believe them,

So it stands to reason that people were willing to try anything when they needed water.

Nowadays there is ground penetrating radar and other scientific ways of finding water which should negate the need for such silliness.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »

But why are you stating that is has to be associated with magic? Maybe it was traditionally believed to be some kind of natural phenomena? Or a gift from God?

Nowadays there is ground penetrating radar and other scientific ways of finding water which should negate the need for such silliness.

It worked.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
converted viking

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »

Well what if one is out in the sticks without access to the above technology or poor in a third world country?

Viking
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:49:17 AM by converted viking » Logged
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »

One little episode in Fr. Seraphim's biography contains such a person locating a spot for them (St. Hermans) to drill their well . . . when the drilling team shows up they had to drill a lot farther than expected.

"Walking unannounced through the monastery gate with two long metal "antennae" sticking out of him, the dowser presented quite a strange spectacle."

"The dowser, Fr. Seraphim recorded, "turned out to be a religious man, who regards his work not as 'witching', but simply as a natural talent given by God, and he said a prayer before beginning work."

p. 766
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »

There is opinion and there is there mind of the Church, as St John of Shanghai reminded us, the two should not be confused.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:02:59 AM »

Well what if one is out in the sticks without access to the above technology or poor in a third world country?

Viking
To Michael Kalina , The issue is that you can pray to God and have faith that you have received it without a divining. When you start having faith in other sources of power is the issue. The church warns against these things.

I am poor in the richest country  Grin

The point is that there are options that were not there back when divining sticks were popular. There are people who will help us get water usually. Also the fact that we can communicate our troubles such as drought , means we we can help others at long distances now.

Also I remember seeing an old western show where the man who was able to divine for water wanted the town to pay him a large sum of money for his service . So the poor pioneers also had the same problems of no water , however they had little possibility for outside help that exists today.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 12:33:37 AM »

To Michael Kalina , The issue is that you can pray to God and have faith that you have received it without a divining. When you start having faith in other sources of power is the issue. The church warns against these things.

On what basis do you think people back then believed finding water came from "other sources of power" and not from God?

BTW my euchologion has a prayer before digging a well.

edit:

In a discussion on the very same issue someone wrote Fr. Rose once hired such a man to find water for him.

And what about Ex. 17, 1-6?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:46:39 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 12:50:57 AM »

Yes, read the wiki article about water witching.

Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 12:58:54 AM »

When Fr. Ephrem acquired the property for St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona, there was some question as to where to drill for a water source.  Someone brought in an engineering team, which recommended a spot, but Fr. Ephrem said, "No, dig here," and indicated another place.  The place the engineers tried was a dry hole; Fr. Ephrem's spot struck a very productive source, which has supplied the monastery ever since.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 01:01:01 AM »

I'm interested in Orthodox sources, not in the wiki.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:56 AM »

On what basis do you think people back then believed finding water came from "other sources of power" and not from God?

BTW my euchologion has a prayer before digging a well.

edit:

In a discussion on the very same issue someone wrote Fr. Rose once hired such a man to find water for him.

And what about Ex. 17, 1-6?

Well they would ask a priest to help instead of a person with a stick who traditionally was not professing any help from prayer . 

There was no scientific basis for this practice, so it was considered a black art,if not specifically sanctioned or overseen by the church.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 09:17:34 AM »

Well they would ask a priest to help instead of a person with a stick who traditionally was not professing any help from prayer .  

There was no scientific basis for this practice, so it was considered a black art,if not specifically sanctioned or overseen by the church.

Can you prove the bolded parts somehow?

Prayer for finding water in euchologion hints it wasn't like that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:23:52 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »

I've known a couple dowsers in my short time on earth and both emphatically stated that they viewed their ability to find water as a gift from God and that they were merely "sensitive" to its existence.  Both prayed to God "through Jesus,mind you" (both were hardcore Baptists) to "guide their hands, hearts, and minds" in their search.

I have no doubt in my mind that they were not "witches" engaged in "black arts." 

They were also more closely following the Way than the vast majority of supposed Orthodox Christians I've ever met.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »

I think there is a very modern assumption running under here that there are only two ways of understanding or harnessing the natural world- through the modern natural sciences or through divine gifts, and anything falling outside these two must be witchcraft. Setting aside whether dowsing actually works, it is one of countless traditional "sciences" of the world which wouldn't stand up to modern scientific rigor but which are not necessarily sorcerous or demonic.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
converted viking

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 06:58:31 PM »

Lots of interesting replies here. Actually the reason I bought this up is that I have used them in the past to find buried sewer lines out to the septic system. The house was built back in the 50s and I had no idea where they might be.  All I know is that it worked and I found the line.  The whole thing was kind of creepy and gave me the willies.

Viking
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:00:51 PM by converted viking » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 03:07:01 AM »

i think you have your own answer.
when God gives you divine knowledge (through the church), it is not 'creepy'.
when in doubt, don't do it!
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »

I said in my original post that If they are derived from other sources, I did not say they were.

But would you go to a church which was run by these guys who claim to be able to do all sorts of things such as find water with a forked stick, even if they claim to be using the power of God?

What does the church really say, anyone ask a priest for the official Church policy.

Again I admit I am prone to read my horoscope, so I admit being a hypocrite, although I keep in mind it is just for fun and try not to put any real faith in it.

But if you need water and it works I would do it too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:13:14 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 05:56:05 AM »

I said in my original post that If they are derived from other sources, I did not say they were.

But would you go to a church which was run by these guys who claim to be able to do all sorts of things such as find water with a forked stick, even if they claim to be using the power of God?

The Church was OK with that and used such people.

I go to a Church run by people who claim they can magically change bread into God's Flesh.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 06:50:09 AM »

I'm interested in Orthodox sources, not in the wiki.
Please remember this the next time you reference a source which is not Orthodox.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 06:52:16 AM »

I go to a Church run by people who claim they can magically change bread into God's Flesh.
They are wrong.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 08:33:13 AM »

If the people at your church are telling you that magic is changing the bread into God's Flesh, you should probably start looking for a new church.  Wink

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »

Really?

What Faith is this church?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »

I've got to say that this topic isn't exactly on a list of important stuff to ponder. It the kind of topic that I remember one usually frenzied parishioner would call my dad (a priest) about on a Saturday night just like clockwork or during Holy Week or Christmas Eve and insist that he needed THE answer right away. Caller ID came too late for my dad....  Smiley
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

Really?

What Faith is this church?

Just for the record, I believe that Michal was simply trying to make a point, and certainly not actually inferring that the Eucharist is "magic".  

He is, without a doubt, an Orthodox Christian and was simply trying to make a point using sarcasm.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:10:24 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »

Accordding to some posters here, there are only two methods of understanding world: the one of modern science, and the one of dubious magic. During Liturgy bread changes into the Body of Christ, doesn't it? On the other hand there are no scientific proofs for that. It means it must magic.

Or am I wrong in understanding that way of reasoning?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »

I think that is a false dilemma.  Perhaps some people would argue that, but that sounds more of an atheistic position to me than anything else.

Regardless of whether it actually works or it is just bogus, I think whether it is wrong or not depends on what you believe is happening when you do it.  If you are using an object (particularly an un-consecrated one) to supernaturally obtain information that only God presumably knows without His direction to do so, I think that is wrong.  If you think it is helping you identify low points in the ground that water might run to, that would not be bad (it might not be efficient or correct, but it isn't evil)

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »

I know next to nothing about diving rods....but, the person who is doing the divining....are they saying prayers...asking for divine intersession....?

How do THEY think they are finding the water?

Certainly it's not the tree branch that is finding it alone...

—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »

Accordding to some posters here, there are only two methods of understanding world: the one of modern science, and the one of dubious magic. During Liturgy bread changes into the Body of Christ, doesn't it? On the other hand there are no scientific proofs for that. It means it must magic.

I think that you are correct.  That is how the "world" sees it.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »

If anyone in the Church is stupid enough to use a stick to find water, then they probably deserve whatever happens to them.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »

If anyone in the Church is stupid enough to use a stick to find water, then they probably deserve whatever happens to them.

Grin

I love you JamesR!

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

I know next to nothing about diving rods....but, the person who is doing the divining....are they saying prayers...asking for divine intersession....?

Certainly it's not the tree branch that is finding it alone...

Dowsing is a craft spread across various cultures (and religions), so the particulars vary. What remains constant, at least as far as I've been able to find, is the dowsers' belief that their gift comes from Deity (whatever their understanding of it is) and is meant to be put to the service of their community. It is considered particularly bad form to charge for their efforts.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »

I'll ask some friends that are into folklore and ethnography. That's the most interesting thing here.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »

Yes, you are wrong in your understanding.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: