OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:07:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catechumen classes in Melbourne, Australia?  (Read 556 times) Average Rating: 0
kim12345

« on: May 17, 2013, 02:49:14 AM »

I've recently moved to Melbourne and was wondering if anyone knows of any catechumen classes in the CBD that I can get to via public transport?  I did a liturgy class with the Russian Orthodox Church for the past year back in the US and wanted to move forward with being a catechumen and get baptized.  I do speak some Russian and am learning a little Church Slavonic so would like to stick with a Russian Church if at all possible. 

Many Thanks
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:15:08 AM »

Have you asked your priest what to do?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 06:13:58 AM »

I've recently moved to Melbourne and was wondering if anyone knows of any catechumen classes in the CBD that I can get to via public transport?  I did a liturgy class with the Russian Orthodox Church for the past year back in the US and wanted to move forward with being a catechumen and get baptized.  I do speak some Russian and am learning a little Church Slavonic so would like to stick with a Russian Church if at all possible. 

Many Thanks

Hi Kim, check out the ROCOR Diocese of Australia and New Zealand website.  There is an extensive list of parishes, including a Protection of the Holy Virgin Cathedral in Melbourne.  Even if the nearest parish is not in the CBD, they may be able to put you in contact with others who could help with transport.  All the best on your journey into the Orthodox Church and welcome to the forum. Smiley

Orthodox Christians or inquirers in Waikato/BOP, New Zealand - if you would like to share transport to an Orthodox Church or make contact with others in the area, send me a pm! Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
kim12345

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:01:33 AM »

Thanks very much.  I have been unable to get in touch with my Priest back home unfortunately.  I've also tried to contact a few people here, but so far the only place they have recommended is in Dandenong which is quite a long way from where I am staying. 
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »

Contact the nearest priest (the priest whose parish you attend).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »

Here are a few more Australian Eastern Orthodox archdioceses to try:

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia

Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines

Serbian Orthodox Metropolitanate of Australia and New Zealand

Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of Australia and New Zealand

Orthodox Christians or inquirers in Waikato/BOP, New Zealand - if you would like to share transport to an Orthodox Church or make contact with others in the area, send me a pm! Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
kim12345

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 11:16:22 PM »

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  It seems there is a small orthodox church in the CBD on Spring Street. http://australianorthodox.org/ I plan on checking it out soon.
Adelphi

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »

I attend a Russian parish in Yarraville, close to Melbourne. The building is owned and attended by Belorusans. I travel by train normally (2 trains = 45 mins) to get to church and usually go to every service if I can. PM me if you would like our Russian priest's telephone number; he speaks fluent English. Our services are in Slavonic and English with some Greek in the ekteniae, but we have quite a few Greek parishioners, several Serbs and  three converts including me.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:03:31 AM by Adelphi » Logged

Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. Prov. 23:23.
kim12345

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately Yarraville would be quite far for me as it already takes me an hour by train to get into the CBD.  I'm out in the Eastern suburbs. I did stop by the orthodox mission next to Parliament station yesterday and it was very nice so I think that will be my home away from home at least for the time being until I get settled more permanently.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:12:15 PM »

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately Yarraville would be quite far for me as it already takes me an hour by train to get into the CBD.  I'm out in the Eastern suburbs. I did stop by the orthodox mission next to Parliament station yesterday and it was very nice so I think that will be my home away from home at least for the time being until I get settled more permanently.

That mission is no longer under any canonical Orthodox body. They were "released" from ROCOR some time ago, under less than favorable circumstances.
Adelphi

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:54:48 PM »

There are lots of our parishioners living in the Box Hill area, and some also in Doncaster, Ringwood East etc. Where do you live? Maybe someone could give you a lift? Yarraville is 22 kms from my home, and many people travel a lot further to attend this friendly, multi-ethnic church. The train system in Melbourne is excellent. Even though I have a car, I choose to travel by train for economical reasons. The cost of petrol here is exorbitant.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:58:15 PM by Adelphi » Logged

Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. Prov. 23:23.
kim12345

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »

Wow thanks LBK good to know.

Adelphi - I'm in Croydon.  I think actually I can reach it by public transport without too much difficulty.  I can't make it this week but maybe a week from Sun.  Do services begin at 9am?
Adelphi

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »

Kim,
Services begin at 9.40 am (hours) 10 am Divine Liturgy. Please make yourself known to me; I'm the only nun there, but please respect my privacy on this board. Thank you. PM me if you want my phone number.

kim12345

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 07:37:40 PM »

Ok thanks very much.
Tags: Catechumen  Australia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: