OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 01:36:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Appeal to Obama for the release of 2 abducted Orthodox Archbishops in Syria  (Read 629 times) Average Rating: 5
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:59 AM »

The Orthodox Christian Laity Association, among others, publicized the following petition:

• An appeal to President Obama and his government for the release of two Orthodox Christian Archbishops, namely Archbishop Paul Yazigi and Archbishop Youhanna Ibrahim, who were abducted by armed rebels on April 23, 2013 in the suburbs of Aleppo, Syria. The driver of the Archbishops was murdered and the Archbishops were forced by the rebels to go to an unknown location either in Syria or in Turkey.

We appeal to you beloved in Christ and peace loving people to sign this petition urgently asking the American administration to use all its influence for the release of these two Archbishops and to bring a peaceful settlement to this bloodletting Syrian conflict through a negotiated settlement.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/appeal-president-obama-and-his-government-release-two-abducted-orthodox-christian-archbishops-syria/xNskxL1q
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:14:16 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »

I signed it.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »

Signed, but not a fan of OCL.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 01:48:45 AM »

Agreed. Maybe we can start a new thread bashing OCL.
Here you go ...
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,51532.new.html#new
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:51:50 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »

I think it is mainly the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese that publicized it, but don't remember where I saw it. It's also publicized by a nearby Antiochian parish.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

I emailed my senators and representatives informing them about this issue. I don't know if it is going to do any good, but at least we (the people so far in this thread) have done what we can.

Also, I'm making an account so I can sign the petition.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »

I think it is mainly the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese that publicized it, but don't remember where I saw it. It's also publicized by a nearby Antiochian parish.

The issue has to do with the 2003 charter of the GOAA.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »

I will sign. Just want everybody to get home safely.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »

By "it" I meant the petition, rather than the OCL. Smiley
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »

By "it" I meant the petition, rather than the OCL. Smiley

That makes more sense and it is not surprising since it is a worthwhile cause. Thanks.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »

I am not sure why you would cite OCL for this information when both Antiochian.org and Goarch.org have made this front page news for weeks now.

The origin of this petition is from the Antiochian Archdiocese of New York.

Here is the original post... http://www.antiochian.org/support-abducted-syrian-hierarchs

Republished May 10: The Archdiocese encourages all of her members to show their continuing support for kidnapped archbishops Paul and John of Aleppo, first and foremost through heartfelt prayer. We also encourage people to sign and promote the online petition available here at the website of the White House, calling for United States government action on behalf of the abducted metropolitans. Please use the petition at this link.

Joseph
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 01:02:56 AM »

I am not sure why you would cite OCL for this information when both Antiochian.org and Goarch.org have made this front page news for weeks now.

The origin of this petition is from the Antiochian Archdiocese of New York.

Here is the original post... http://www.antiochian.org/support-abducted-syrian-hierarchs

Republished May 10: The Archdiocese encourages all of her members to show their continuing support for kidnapped archbishops Paul and John of Aleppo, first and foremost through heartfelt prayer. We also encourage people to sign and promote the online petition available here at the website of the White House, calling for United States government action on behalf of the abducted metropolitans. Please use the petition at this link.
Thanks for sharing the information.

Somehow I got on OCL's list, and they sent this important petition around to me. So it motivated me to post it here. I don't know much about the OCL, except that it says it is dedicated to unifying Orthodox in America, which is generally an important goal. I don't know anything about the GOA charter of 2003. And it makes no sense to me why the US government is funding Al-Qaeda-linked fundamentalists in Syria when the US is supposedly in a "war on terror."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:07:55 AM by rakovsky » Logged
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 04:03:54 AM »

Hmm question why would you appeal to Obama for?in this issue. Seams to me Putin would be a much better choice as Syria is in Russia's back pocket and Putin is head of the Russian Orthodox church in Russia no. I hope for the safe return of the two Archbishops unharmed and well feed
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »

Hmm question why would you appeal to Obama for?in this issue. Seams to me Putin would be a much better choice as Syria is in Russia's back pocket and Putin is head of the Russian Orthodox church in Russia no. I hope for the safe return of the two Archbishops unharmed and well feed
If Syria's government is in Russia's back pocket, then in whose back pocket are the rebel groups?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »

1. President Putin was one of the first world leaders to call for their release (along with Lebanon, Greece, and Turkey) within the first 24 hours of the kidnapping. So no need to ask him to do something he has already done.

2. President Obama has yet to say anything specific about the bishops. The State Department is silent.

3. Your comment shows you know nothing about the situation if you think the Syrian government has anything to do with this.

Joseph
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »

Waste of time.  Obama won't do anything.  Now if these were Muslim clerics who were kidnapped...

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »

Can any one write one up in Russian?  Then we can send it to Putin.  Maybe he'd send in the Spetsnaz.  I am sure that President Assad is doing all he can to rescue them.  May God guide him and bless him in his efforts.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 01:02:37 PM »

Dear Vamrat,

As you suggested, I translated the petition into Russian below, changing Obama's name for Putin's.
The Orthodox Christian Laity Association, among others, publicized the following petition:

• An appeal to President Obama and his government for the release of two Orthodox Christian Archbishops, namely Archbishop Paul Yazigi and Archbishop Youhanna Ibrahim, who were abducted by armed rebels on April 23, 2013 in the suburbs of Aleppo, Syria. The driver of the Archbishops was murdered and the Archbishops were forced by the rebels to go to an unknown location either in Syria or in Turkey.

We appeal to you beloved in Christ and peace loving people to sign this petition urgently asking the American administration to use all its influence for the release of these two Archbishops and to bring a peaceful settlement to this bloodletting Syrian conflict through a negotiated settlement.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/appeal-president-obama-and-his-government-release-two-abducted-orthodox-christian-archbishops-syria/xNskxL1q

Обращение к президенту Путину и его правительству за освобождение двух православных архиепископов, а именно Архиепископ Павел и архиепископ Язиги Юханна Ибрагим, которые были похищены вооруженными повстанцами 23 апреля 2013 года в пригороде Алеппо, Сирия. Водитель архиепископов был убит, и архиепископы были вынуждены повстанцами идти в неизвестное место либо в Сирии либо в Турции.

Мы обращаемся к вам, возлюбленным во Христе и миролюбивым людям подписать эту петицию, которая срочно просит американской администрации использовать все свое влияние для освобождения этих двух архиепископов и привести к мирному урегулированию этого кровопускания сирийского конфликта путем переговоров.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »

Anyone heard updates this week? Any progress in gaining the release?
Tags: Free the bishops 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: