OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:09:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloning humans  (Read 1934 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »

is that ban going to stop someone with the knowledge, skill, money, determination, and intent? 
Sounds like a good starting point on what should be classified as immoral.

Let's try corporations that do all of the above.

Sinful? Absolutely. In fact the very beginnings of commerce is sinful in itself.

But you remain mute when it doesn't involve the destruction of a fetus.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.  Again.  And I do not need to justify myself to the likes of you.

Do you ever buy anything?  (Ever by anything from ANY of those horrible corporations you criticize?) Then you're engaging in "sinful" commerce.  Have you ever sold anything?  Ditto.  Splinter, plank.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »

I am reviving this topic because I don't know where else to post my thoughts. I don't know very much about cloning, but it seems to me that it borders on reproducing the same person or very close. That's a huge ethical and philosophical problem because we humans are body and soul with a unique configuration, and to clone someone is to sort of call back that person's soul into this world.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:07:34 PM by IoanC » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 01:19:50 PM »

I am reviving this topic because I don't know where else to post my thoughts. I don't know very much about cloning, but it seems to me that it borders on reproducing the same person or very close. That's a huge ethical and philosophical problem because we humans are body and soul with a unique configuration, and to clone someone is to sort of call back that person's soul into this world.

But isn't 'cloning' very similar to what happens when people have identical twin babies? If it's not a sin then, why is it a sin as cloning?

It just makes another person, which is the goal of having children anyway.

Just a thought.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 01:21:38 PM »

But isn't 'cloning' very similar to what happens when people have identical twin babies? If it's not a sin then, why is it a sin as cloning?

Just a thought.

Twins are still persons with different identities who happen to have similar bodies. Clones represent the same identity just "brought back" into existence.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »

Hmmm. Interesting.  Smiley

Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »

Just a thought.

Twins are still persons with different identities who happen to have similar bodies. Clones represent the same identity just "brought back" into existence.

And a clone is just the same, it's your life experience that makes you who you are, not your physical makeup,  and I highly doubt man can clone the soul or spirit.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:26:51 PM by findingfaith » Logged

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »

Just a thought.

And a clone is just the same, it's your life experience that makes you who you are, not your physical makeup,  and I highly doubt man can clone the soul or spirit.

No, he cannot clone the spirit and soul, but then what soul and spirit will inhabit the clone of someone (the exact physical replica of himself which is his alone since man has a unique and non-repeatable body and soul). That is why I say that it's as if you are asking that person's soul to come back into the world because no other soul can inhabit the exact same body.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:47:35 PM by IoanC » Logged

Gkterra

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 02:06:40 PM »

Just a thought.

No, he cannot clone the spirit and soul, but then what soul and spirit will inhabit the clone of someone (the exact physical replica of himself which is his alone since man has a unique and non-repeatable body and soul). That is why I say that it's as if you are asking that person's soul to come back into the world because no other soul can inhabit the exact same body.

what makes you think God can't, or won't, compensate for this? 

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 02:09:20 PM »

Just a thought.

It would seem that He would have to go against His principles, not that He couldn't. He could call sin virtue, but He doesn't.

Gkterra

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »

Just a thought.

It would seem that He would have to go against His principles, not that He couldn't. He could call sin virtue, but He doesn't.

so then you're saying, any life created in sin, has no virtue, and is therefore unworthy of a soul?

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »

Just a thought.

so then you're saying, any life created in sin, has no virtue, and is therefore unworthy of a soul?

No, I am saying that it is one thing to create a new person and another to replicate the same individual that has already existed. I will ask: is there any limit to what we can ever do? If there is, then I believe this may be such a case.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »

There may be limits to what people can do, but there is no limit to what Almighty God can do. I see no reason why He could not give a unique soul to a clone, if He can give a soul to anyone else.

Gkterra

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2014, 02:31:31 PM »

Just a thought.

No, I am saying that it is one thing to create a new person and another to replicate the same individual that has already existed. I will ask: is there any limit to what we can ever do? If there is, then I believe this may be such a case.

but the clone hasn't existed before, and it can't be an exact copy, as it will be made of entirely different atoms. same dna yes, same person, no

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »

Is DNA the same thing as the soul? No. It's part of the physical aspect of the body, but I've never heard it equated with the soul. Just because a body has new DNA does not mean that is a new soul. Or, that God can't put in a new soul if He wants.

Gkterra

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »

Is DNA the same thing as the soul? No. It's part of the physical aspect of the body, but I've never heard it equated with the soul. Just because a body has new DNA does not mean that is a new soul. Or, that God can't put in a new soul if He wants.

nowhere has dna been equated with the Soul, I'm saying, all life is precious, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it's creation.
if we can do it, I'm sure God knows that, whether it's right or wrong is mute, since that's never stopped humanity before. 

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »

Just a thought.

Hi IoanC,

Monozygotic twins have the same DNA (same as would occur if cloning were perfect without the intervening DNA damage that occurs with age/viral infections).

No twins are, and no clones would, be identical due to epigenetics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

I could be wrong, but this is what I remember.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2014, 01:29:17 AM »

There may be limits to what people can do, but there is no limit to what Almighty God can do. I see no reason why He could not give a unique soul to a clone, if He can give a soul to anyone else.

I am not saying that He couldn't, but will He find the right reason to do it? I used an analogy for reference: why not wait for God to turn sin into virtue? Are we saying that He can't?

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2014, 01:31:39 AM »

Just a thought.

Hi IoanC,

Monozygotic twins have the same DNA (same as would occur if cloning were perfect without the intervening DNA damage that occurs with age/viral infections).

As I said previously, I am don't know very much about clones. But the concept is very troubling (if only in theory) from an ethical and philosophical pov because it is taking humanity into directions that are monstrous.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:31:51 AM by IoanC » Logged

Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2014, 03:01:22 AM »

Just a thought.

Hi IoanC,

As I said previously, I am don't know very much about clones. But the concept is very troubling (if only in theory) from an ethical and philosophical pov because it is taking humanity into directions that are monstrous.

I agree. Humanity is prying into things they shouldn't be...
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:44 AM »

Just a thought.

Well, one of the ethical questions on this has been in a number of Science Fiction stories with gengineering: Is the clone of a living person, an exact copy genetically, "property" of the original person. That is "I own my unique genetic pattern".   This comes into play with the idea of Person A wants/needs some medical resources such a a transplant.  It some stories it's a whole new young body with the original brain being transferred.  To avoid rejection problems a perfect match is a clone.  So the new one is created not to have a child or companion or whatever but to be ermm "broken down for parts" as it were.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »

I keep reading this thread title as Clothing Humans and thinking...'oh not another modesty thread'

Undecided

*backing away now*
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »

Grin Hee hee!

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »

... the concept is very troubling (if only in theory) from an ethical and philosophical pov ...

That goes without saying. However the high cost-factor, and actual need, points to the possibility that it may be the only way to preserve Upper Class Twits such as Vivian Smith-Smythe-Smith, Simon Zinc-Trumpet-Harris, Nigel Incubator-Jones, Gervaise Brook-Hampster and Oliver St. John-Mollusc.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »

I would like to gently suggest the point that there are still plenty of people in the world. There are seven billion humans, more every day. We don't really need human cloning just in order to get more people. Also, I don't think most scientists are bad people who want to inflict bad things on us. A few may try. But I don't think most will. I don't think we're all going to see duplicates of ourselves everywhere. There are already a lot of people, the very vast majority of whom come into the world the same way they always have. Wink

Instead of being panicked by the idea of cloning, which is as yet a rare issue, why not worry about showing more love and help to those who are here?

John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give unto you: That you love one another, as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one for another.

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=love+one+another&qs_version=DRA

Lord have mercy on us.  angel

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »

... the concept is very troubling (if only in theory) from an ethical and philosophical pov ...

That goes without saying. However the high cost-factor, and actual need, points to the possibility that it may be the only way to preserve Upper Class Twits such as Vivian Smith-Smythe-Smith, Simon Zinc-Trumpet-Harris, Nigel Incubator-Jones, Gervaise Brook-Hampster and Oliver St. John-Mollusc.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »

Everyone could have their mother-in-law forever!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2014, 02:51:01 PM »

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine.

From all evil, deliver us, Lord.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine.

From all evil, deliver us, Lord.

I miss my mother-in-law, she was exceptional. May her memory be eternal.

Back on cloning. If a human being were to be cloned, scientists would use the DNA from the human to be cloned and insert that into the nucleus. However, different maternal mitochrondrial DNA would be found within the cell. Thus, there would never be a perfect "clone" twin generated unless the cell were from an identical twin. From the studies I have read about cloning, some from a cloning research doctor from South America, there are still many hurtles that need to be resolved.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:08:00 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: