OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:03:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inquirers/Converts: At what point did you cease communing?  (Read 3025 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 12:18:06 PM »

Why would disability prevent someone from becoming Orthodox is beyond my comprehension.

Maybe if you're thinking of it in terms of beliefs, but it may just be a practical matter of not being able to travel far, inaccessibility of the Orthodox parish (e.g., no ramps, elevator/lift, etc.), or some other similar factors.  At least in the US, I've come across as many churches that were not user-friendly for the disabled as I have those that weren't.  Many of those were older buildings.   

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »

Maybe if you're thinking of it in terms of beliefs, but it may just be a practical matter of not being able to travel far, inaccessibility of the Orthodox parish (e.g., no ramps, elevator/lift, etc.), or some other similar factors.  At least in the US, I've come across as many churches that were not user-friendly for the disabled as I have those that weren't.  Many of those were older buildings.    

I can't drive and I'd depend on access transit to get there, on weekends it's notoriously unreliable.

I'm not in a wheelchair, I just don't have a drivers license and cannot obtain one for medical reasons.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:23:20 PM by Daedelus1138 » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »

Maybe if you're thinking of it in terms of beliefs, but it may just be a practical matter of not being able to travel far, inaccessibility of the Orthodox parish (e.g., no ramps, elevator/lift, etc.), or some other similar factors.  At least in the US, I've come across as many churches that were not user-friendly for the disabled as I have those that weren't.  Many of those were older buildings.    

I can't drive and I'd depend on access transit to get there, on weekends it's notoriously unreliable.

I'm not in a wheelchair, I just don't have a drivers license and cannot obtain one for medical reasons.

Know how you fell. But it's not impossible.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 01:52:39 PM »

Have you talked to the priest? Perhaps someone in the parish lives nearby and would be willing to give you a ride to church. We've been doing this for a college student for three years now, and another of our parishioners is providing transportation for one of our elder members who no longer drives.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »

So I sometimes wonder if it would be possible to join the Orthodox church but attend at an Episcopal church much of the time.

No.

Not meaning to be a back-seat poster, but you realize Daedelus said "attend" not "commune at" right? (Just checking.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »

Why would disability prevent someone from becoming Orthodox is beyond my comprehension.

Maybe if you're thinking of it in terms of beliefs, but it may just be a practical matter of not being able to travel far, inaccessibility of the Orthodox parish (e.g., no ramps, elevator/lift, etc.), or some other similar factors.  At least in the US, I've come across as many churches that were not user-friendly for the disabled as I have those that weren't.  Many of those were older buildings.   

Come to think of it, I too have come across as many churches that were not user-friendly for the disabled as I have those that weren't. Exactly as many. Wink

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »

To be honest, most Protestant Churches--other than Lutherans and Episcopal/Anglicans--rarely have "Communion" except maybe once a month at the most. I imagine it was not a problem for most converts as it came up so infrequently. As for myself, I never dealt with this because I wasn't attending a Protestant Church at all when I decided to convert.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »

So I sometimes wonder if it would be possible to join the Orthodox church but attend at an Episcopal church much of the time.

No.

Not meaning to be a back-seat poster, but you realize Daedelus said "attend" not "commune at" right? (Just checking.)

I do realize.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »

No.

I do realize.

So noted. Smiley

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 03:29:19 PM »

Btw, Daedelus, if there hasn't already been a thread about this, why did you select Orthodoxy as opposed to (for example) Catholicism? (My apologies if there has already been a thread about it.)

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

Come to think of it, I too have come across as many churches that were not user-friendly for the disabled as I have those that weren't. Exactly as many. Wink

Ugh, what an idiot that Mor guy is.  Tongue  I knew that sentence was horrible, but for some reason I couldn't think it out clearly.  The first edition of that post (before I revised it to what I posted) had something like a quadruple negative. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »

Ugh, what an idiot that Mor guy is.  Tongue  I knew that sentence was horrible, but for some reason I couldn't think it out clearly.  The first edition of that post (before I revised it to what I posted) had something like a quadruple negative. 

Tongue

Well, in terms of degree-of-clumsiness, it didn't rank higher than the typical posting mistakes. But it was interesting philosophically.

Daedelus1138
Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »

Btw, Daedelus, if there hasn't already been a thread about this, why did you select Orthodoxy as opposed to (for example) Catholicism? (My apologies if there has already been a thread about it.)

Well, in short I judge the Papacy to be bankrupt as an institution, no matter what I think of Benedict XVI or Francis I as a human being.  I don't believe the hype.   The West's view of spiritual authority is bunk, I think Luther and Melchanchthon were the only good Western theologians of the pre-modern period.   Having said that, I respect the Roman Catholic faith, but I don't agree with its leadership model.

I could see myself possibly becomming High Church Anglican or even perhaps Lutheran, but most of Protestantism I also consider a failure spiritually.  I'm an admirer of Luther, actually, but I think modern Lutherans are mostly just like any other Protestant and I'd never join the LCMS due to their rabid anti-Catholicism.   If I remain Anglican- I've got to find a way to get away from a conservative Evangelical parish, it doesn't jive with me.   I like liberal Anglicans better and the biblicism/quasi-calvinism is garbage.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:39:39 PM by Daedelus1138 » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2013, 07:13:25 AM »

Well, in short I judge the Papacy to be bankrupt as an institution, no matter what I think of Benedict XVI or Francis I as a human being.

I think I know what you mean. Frankly, if I wasn't already Catholic, I wouldn't become Catholic; I would be PNCC. (Nothing against Anglo-Catholics, I just don't have much contact with them, whereas the PNCC are kind of my family.) I'm bothered by some of the baggage that we (Catholics) have, e.g. Vatican I -- some would also say Vatican II, but I tend to see that more as an attempt to improve things. I like the post-Vatican-II ecumenism, including the fact that we permit non-Roman catholics to receive communion in some circumstances.

Daedelus1138
Elder

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2013, 10:31:49 AM »

I think I know what you mean. Frankly, if I wasn't already Catholic, I wouldn't become Catholic; I would be PNCC. (Nothing against Anglo-Catholics, I just don't have much contact with them, whereas the PNCC are kind of my family.) I'm bothered by some of the baggage that we (Catholics) have, e.g. Vatican I -- some would also say Vatican II, but I tend to see that more as an attempt to improve things. I like the post-Vatican-II ecumenism, including the fact that we permit non-Roman catholics to receive communion in some circumstances.

I do think Vatican II was an improvement, especially a desire to become more conciliar.  But its not hard to see how the problems with priestly abuse are not due to a culture where hierarchy is elevated to a point that it becomes unaccountable.   It's been weakenend now in practical terms by both conservatives (LeFebre and the SSPX crowd) and liberals (Hans Kung etc), so maybe for practical purposes it is not as big a concern, but there are enough laity that have learned the lesson to never speak out that the damage is done.

My spirituality is more along the lines of Luther (not Lutheranism so much as Luther himself) or Therese of Lisieux also (who I'd argue was probably the greatest Roman Catholic theologian).   I sometimes have similar issues with the quasi-legalism present in Orthodoxy as well.

Didyma
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

I am not nice!

« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »

I just simply don't go to non-Orthodox services anymore if I can help it.  If I can't, there usually isn't any Communion anyway.  I'm not sure if I would take Communion if it was offered to me, as it hasn't happened in a while.  On one hand, it doesn't have any real significance and I'm usually hungry by that point in a service.  On the other, it is a sign that one agrees with the church offering the Communion. 

At this point, I think I would politely decline, since I want to wait until my first real Eucharist. 

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »

Hi Didyma. Just speaking for myself, this ^^ seems quite incongruous: on the one hand, you don't even go to non-Orthodox services except when you can't help it, but on the other hand you would consider receiving communion at such a service?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »

Hi Didyma. Just speaking for myself, this ^^ seems quite incongruous: on the one hand, you don't even go to non-Orthodox services except when you can't help it, but on the other hand you would consider receiving communion at such a service?

If hungry.  Then Didyma would. 

Didyma
Elder

I am not nice!

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »

Yes.  It doesn't really seem incongruous to me.

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
Didyma
Elder

I am not nice!

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »

Sometimes you've got the rumblies.  Rumblies that only artisan bread and fancy grape juice can satisfy.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »

Sometimes you've got the rumblies.  Rumblies that only artisan bread and fancy grape juice can satisfy.

Artisan bread?  Lucky you!  I had plain ol' saltine crackers growing up.  But Welch's does satisfy.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »

Artisan bread?  Lucky you!  I had plain ol' saltine crackers growing up.  But Welch's does satisfy.
Sure beats potato chips and Coca Cola. Tongue
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »

Heretic!
Didyma
Elder

I am not nice!

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »

They had red, Concord Post Familie grape juice at my old church.  It was a fairly large church, though. 

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2013, 03:35:18 PM »

I see we had similar upbringings. lol

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »

What, no hot dogs?  I thought this was the Unitarian-Universalist communion/sing-along.

Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »

All the joking and knee-slapping about the Protestant practices that may have once been your own is probably more of a sign of the distance you've yet to travel then any sort of lofty new vantage point.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:07:02 PM by Hinterlander » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »

All the joking and knee-slapping about the Protestant practices they may have once been your own is probably more of a sign of the distance you've yet to travel then any sort of lofty new vantage point.

You know me not.  If I don't laugh, I'd cry.  I know I have a long way to go.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: