OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 05:30:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips and Resources For Learning Bohairic Coptic?  (Read 3065 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »

For complete beginners?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »

For complete beginners?
The only complete grammaire is Mallon's, and it is a reference grammar.  Do you read French? (there is an Arabic translation, but I don't know how easy it is to get-there is an incomplete pdf somewhere on line.  The French is on Google books).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »

For complete beginners?
The only complete grammaire is Mallon's, and it is a reference grammar.  Do you read French? (there is an Arabic translation, but I don't know how easy it is to get-there is an incomplete pdf somewhere on line.  The French is on Google books).
I don't know French. My Father and Teta know fluent French, though. They might be able to help me put.

Fwiw, a friend of mine from Tasbeha.org recommended "So You Want To Learn Coptic" by Sameh Younan and "A Study in Bohairic Coptic" by Nabil Mattar.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:24:57 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:11:44 AM »

--Bump--

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 11:26:42 PM »

How many years would it take to learn Coptic fluently or at the very least on an advanced level? My great grandfather knew Coptic very well.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:34:29 PM by Severian » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »

How many years would it take to learn Coptic fluently or at the very least on an advanced level? My great grandfather knew Coptic very well.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 09:20:56 PM »

Bump!

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »

Severian,

Think you are riding a few too many horses at once?

And if you are going to try to get an answer from anyone here about learning another language, especially the language you are talking about, it is going to be skewed. You have some brilliant people around here coupled with some sorta gift for adult language acquisition.

If you ain't Isa or Romaios and company, I can't imagine getting a decent answer to your question.

If you are: 14 months.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »

^Thanks for the info.

Am I riding too many horses at once (trying to learn too many languages at once, I assume?)? Perhaps, we shall see...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:55:36 PM by Severian » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:18:59 AM »

^Thanks for the info.

Am I riding too many horses at once (trying to learn too many languages at once, I assume?)? Perhaps, we shall see...

And maths, etc.

Best of luck!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: liturgical languages 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: