OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 01:09:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moview in 3D  (Read 395 times) Average Rating: 0
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« on: May 23, 2013, 12:25:16 AM »

A question from Mr. Old Fashion:   If I saw a 3D movie without the 3D glasses, would it look like a regular 2 dimensional film, or would it look odd without the 3D glasses?  The reason I am asking is that the Mrs. wants to see the new Star Trek, Into Darkness in 3D.  Since I have some inner ear issues, I am thinking about skipping the glasses, if the movie does not look strange without them.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:57:03 AM »

It will look fuzzy and you'd not enjoy it.

The edges of everything would be slightly tinged with blue or red.

If you can, wear the glasses.

I actually went to my first movie in years, just a few weeks ago. Silly movie I saw because I was taking kids - the Crudes animated movie in 3D.

Loved the 3D.  Had to hold myself back not to reach out and try to touch things!

Loved it.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:57:40 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:03:49 AM »

Basically, what Liza said.

Personally, I don't like 3D. I wear glasses myself and it's incredibly annoying having the 3D glasses on at the same time. Very often, I'm also left dissapointed at the level of 3D in the movie, so I prefer 2D.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:10:59 AM »

A question from Mr. Old Fashion:   If I saw a 3D movie without the 3D glasses, would it look like a regular 2 dimensional film, or would it look odd without the 3D glasses?  The reason I am asking is that the Mrs. wants to see the new Star Trek, Into Darkness in 3D.  Since I have some inner ear issues, I am thinking about skipping the glasses, if the movie does not look strange without them.
It will look strange.  Watch the 2D.  It looks better and is cheaper so you can afford popcorn. Grin
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:11:36 AM by Kerdy » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »

On Monday, my wife and I saw the 3D version of The Great Gatsby. It was our first experience with 3D. Both of us wear glasses. I had no problem with them, but my wife found the fit - both on her face and in conjunction with her own glasses - to be awkward. As for the 3D experience, I really wasn't particularly impressed. A few scenes were well-done, but for the most part it seemed as though I was looking one of those dioramas that kids make. Undoubtedly the technology will improve, but it will be a while before I spend the extra $3 (at the theatre we prefer) for 3D.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »

I saw the regular Star Trek the other day, the non-3D way. Still pretty exciting.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »

I saw Jurassic Park 3D at an Imax and again at a little theatre.  3D really isn't worth it in a normal theater.  The screen is too small to make up for the annoyance of wearing it over other spectacles.  But in the Imax it was very much worth it.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:53:18 PM »

This is what it will look like without the glasses.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »

Actually, that's an older form of making things 3D. The process is different now and there won't be contrasting colors like that. It will mostly just seem a little fuzzy.   Smiley

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »

I find practically impossible to watch 3D movies without glasses for it.

And I have the same situation asn Ansgar (I've been suffering from myopia for a few years, so sometimes I wear glasses to watch sth from larger distance, especially in case of computer, tv, cinema and church usually too)
Personally, I don't like 3D. I wear glasses myself and it's incredibly annoying having the 3D glasses on at the same time. Very often, I'm also left dissapointed at the level of 3D in the movie, so I prefer 2D.
One of my friends says that this 3D technology isn't at high level yet to be worthy of watching it and I agree with her

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 12:22:17 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I took the Mrs. to see it in 2D.  She may or may not go back to see it in 3D.  I will have to see how much she liked it.  It was quite loud.  The theater could have turned it down, and we still would have heard everything, and my hearing is below normal. Lips Sealed
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 01:09:18 AM »

I have a weird eye thing and 3D gives me a headache.

The little that I saw seems gratuitous and pointless as well. I'll stick to 2D.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: