OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:22:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get rid of the Designated Hitter!!!!  (Read 3121 times) Average Rating: 0
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« on: October 24, 2006, 05:39:24 PM »

I must admit, during the World Series I kind of enjoy seeing the DH used in the American League park, and National League rules applied at the home of the senior circuit club.  But really, overall.....how can we let this "experiment" go on any longer?  I mean, isn't that what it was introduced as, just kind of a "let's try this thing and see how it flies" in 1971?  Come on, that's not baseball.  That's what I think.  How about the rest of you?

JB

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:52:03 PM »

Is Outrage!  Personally, I think it has given the AL an unfair advantage, as one can see in the past several all-star games and world series.  Although, STL may break it this one . . . but still, a .530 team?  Anyways, we're talking about DH.

Also, it takes out have of the strategy and excitement in the game.  It's the top of the ninth in the seventh game of the series.  The score is 0-0.  The batting team just got a man on first with a walk and it's the ninth position in the roster.  Should you pull in your batter . . . or keep your pitcher who has been throwing a perfect game?

And besides, I think it was declared anathema sit in the quin-sext council.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 11:00:48 PM »

Is Outrage!

Was it fancy hitter that could be used taking away strategy of  having to use pitcher or pinch-hitter  in pre-1970 America? No!  It was not!

Also, it takes out have of the strategy and excitement in the game.  It's the top of the ninth in the seventh game of the series.  The score is 0-0.  The batting team just got a man on first with a walk and it's the ninth position in the roster.  Should you pull in your batter . . . or keep your pitcher who has been throwing a perfect game?

Exactly.  Bang on!

And besides, I think it was declared anathema sit in the quin-sext council.

Again, a clear-cut argument as to why the DH should disappear.  AND  it runs counter to Tradition as well.  Wink  Anyone care to argue the point?

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »

DH is to be offering phantom promise of more offense while removing soul of game.  Is to be making American League teams appear silly in eyes of some when they are not being able to lay down sacrifice bunt or just swing bat in interleague play.  Is clearly outrage!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:45:53 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »

The DH may seem superfluous and give the AL an advantage when it comes to overal stats.  However, how may games have 0-0 going into the seventh, let alone the ninth? So many baseball games rack up run tallies of 6 or more between the two teams and that means rather than keep a pitcher in, you're going to need an extra batter.  And this isn't just an AL or NL issue.

Plus, from a PR standpoint, more people want to see offense than good pitching (really unfortunate, imo) and thus the DH rule will not be scrapped. 

Also, I think it is good to have some variations between the NL and the AL; it makes it more colourful.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »

Get rid of aluminum bats in college baseball.  That is real outrage.

Interleague play kinda negates the DH for 6-9 games and forces pitchers to hit.  I think keeping the DH is a good idea.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:34:12 PM »

Why?
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »

I remember a few years ago, Indians manager Mike Hargrove messed up his lineup card---he put his LF as DH and his DH as LF. The opposing manager called attention to this, and the umpire took away Cleveland's DH spot. Hargrove had to have his pitcher Charles Nagy hit---in the seventh spot.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »

I'm an American league fan. Always have been. Always will be.

But I loathe the DH.

I like pitching---and I like the symmetry of all players hitting AND playing the field.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 12:20:55 AM »

I remember a few years ago, Indians manager Mike Hargrove messed up his lineup card---he put his LF as DH and his DH as LF. The opposing manager called attention to this, and the umpire took away Cleveland's DH spot. Hargrove had to have his pitcher Charles Nagy hit---in the seventh spot.
I think something like that happened this year, too.  I believe it was May 17 when a lineup card error by Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon forced pitcher Andy Sonnanstine to hit against Cleveland.  Sonnanstine was told, "You have to hit today."  He responded, "No, I GET to hit today."  He went 1 for 3 on the day with an RBI double. laugh

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/rays/2009-05-17-rays-lineup-card_N.htm
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:32:01 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 02:38:27 AM »

Position players can pitch once in a while too.

I just uploaded this. This was such a riot when I first saw it.  Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXMnZtjBTBo
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:20:22 AM »

Why?

I'm a baseball purist.   Wink
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 12:13:42 PM »

I'm an American league fan. Always have been. Always will be.

But I loathe the DH.

I like pitching---and I like the symmetry of all players hitting AND playing the field.
Glad to hear there are a few of y'all around still. As a lifelong fan of the National League (my family are from St. Louis), I heartily agree.

What do you think of giving WS home field advantage to the league with the highest interleague winning percentage?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »

Why?

I'm a baseball purist.   Wink
You must loathe the maple bat, too, then.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »

They're not going to get rid of it.  It works, even if it's not "pure."  Most "fans" like it.  It ceased being an experiment over 35 years ago.  That's over a third of the "modern era" of Baseball (post 1900).

While I too would like to see pitchers hit in all MLB parks, saying that the DH isn't part of Tradition is like saying "Palamism" isn't Orthodox because it's "only" been around for 600 years - not even a third of the NT Church's life-span!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »

What do you think of giving WS home field advantage to the league with the highest interleague winning percentage?
Sure beats the idea of awarding home field advantage to the winner of the All Star Game. Roll Eyes
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »

Sure beats the idea of awarding home field advantage to the winner of the All Star Game. Roll Eyes

Oh, you don't like contrived drama during an otherwise meaningless game? Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »

Oh, you don't like contrived drama during an otherwise meaningless game? Wink
Yup.  I also believe that a special team made up of the 30 best players in a league is hardly indicative of the overall strength of all the franchise teams in the league.  Interleague winning percentage is a better indicator of this.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 04:32:43 PM »

Yup.  I also believe that a special team made up of the 30 best players in a league is hardly indicative of the overall strength of all the franchise teams in the league.  Interleague winning percentage is a better indicator of this.

Orioles are 9-3 in Interleague Play.  Time for them to join the NL East.   Wink
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 04:34:55 PM »

There's nothing like a 34" or 35" wooden bat (any type wood would do) with a 2 1/2" diameter.   Grin
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »

Seriously, the only thing the DH rule has done is extend the playing careers of players who would otherwise have retired 10 years earlier than they did. Case in point:

1) Edgar Martinez
2) Jay Buhner
3) Jim Thome
4) David Ortiz
5) Eddie Murray
6) Paul Molitor
7) Reggie Jackson
8 ) Jim Rice
9) Dave Winfield
10) Dave Parker

The list goes on........  Seriously, the best thing that could happen would be for the DH rule to go the way of the dinosaur and make the AL pitchers bat for themselves.

-Nick
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:12:17 PM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 07:12:16 PM »

There's nothing like a 34" or 35" wooden bat (any type wood would do) with a 2 1/2" diameter.   Grin
That's the biggest issue, and I really hope the leagues will standardize the size ratio of bats.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »

Unfortunately, interleague play has really ruined the All-Star Game.

Yet another radical experiment with unforeseen ramifications. Bud Selig has been a real "spirit of Vatican II"-type commissioner.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 11:54:09 PM »

That's the biggest issue, and I really hope the leagues will standardize the size ratio of bats.

Not every hitter is the same.  I don't know if a ratio would make much of a competitive difference.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »

Not every hitter is the same.  I don't know if a ratio would make much of a competitive difference.
It would make a big difference in the number of broken bats, which is a safety issue for players and fans alike.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 11:55:39 AM »

It would make a big difference in the number of broken bats, which is a safety issue for players and fans alike.
Don't maple bats tend to splinter when they break, creating some dangerously sharp points?  (Something no infielder wants to see come flying toward them)
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »

^ That's interesting, if true.  I hadn't heard that.  What I have heard is that maple bats break much less often than ash bats.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »

^ That's interesting, if true.  I hadn't heard that.  What I have heard is that maple bats break much less often than ash bats.
I guess I didn't have my facts straight.  Ash bats, because they retain some of the wood's natural moisture, tend to wear out over time, and ash's grain causes them to splinter when they break.  OTOH dry and brittle maple bats, made as they are of kiln dried wood, tend to break explosively, and the absence of a grain causes them to break cleanly into the javelin-like edges.

As far as frequency of breaking, I'm not sure there is any real difference.  Maple is harder than ash, so many think the ball will fly farther when hit by a maple bat than by an ash bat, especially after Barry Bonds used maple bats throughout his 73-HR season.  I think it's for this reason that maple bats were so popular at one time.

I found the following article somewhat informative on this debate:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/22/big-league-bat-debate-maple-vs-ash/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:29:05 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »

I think they should go with solid oak bats and whoever still has arms left at the end of the season is the winnar.   laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:39 AM »

Don't maple bats tend to splinter when they break, creating some dangerously sharp points?  (Something no infielder wants to see come flying toward them)

Both these statements are true, as far as I know. Maple bats do break less often but more violently, and that a very thin handle often contributes to violent breakage.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »

Seriously, the only thing the DH rule has done is extend the playing careers of players who would otherwise have retired 10 years earlier than they did. Case in point:

1) Edgar Martinez
2) Jay Buhner
3) Jim Thome
4) David Ortiz
5) Eddie Murray
6) Paul Molitor
7) Reggie Jackson
8 ) Jim Rice
9) Dave Winfield
10) Dave Parker

Yeah, okay, but besides that, seriously, what is the DH good for? 

TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »

1) Edgar Martinez
2) Jay Buhner
3) Jim Thome
4) David Ortiz
5) Eddie Murray
6) Paul Molitor
7) Reggie Jackson
8 ) Jim Rice
9) Dave Winfield
10) Dave Parker

Yeah, okay, but besides that, seriously, what is the DH good for? 
I honestly take that as a bad thing. If you cease to be able to play on defense and offense, then, it is time for you to retire.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »

Oops...I had read "Get rid of the Designated Hitler!!!!"....and wondered what a designated Hitler, might be.

LOL!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »

Oops...I had read "Get rid of the Designated Hitler!!!!"....and wondered what a designated Hitler, might be.

LOL!

O.o

Weird, I did the same exact thing and then came in here wondering why we were talking about baseball.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »

LOL!

So I'm not the only one who watches too much History Channel.  Cheesy
Tags: Tradition baseball is outrage! 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: