OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 03:29:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ummmmmm strange question  (Read 2057 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 11:24:05 AM »

St. Paul does when he explicitly stated that would prefer Christians to be monks/nuns, but that marriage exists for the sake of our weakness.

I'm not him. I'm not bald.

So you reject the authority of St. Paul's teaching?
In the passage you cite, St. Paul also made it very clear that he had no commandment from the Lord on the matter but was only speaking his opinion.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »

I do not share the belief that monastic life is "better" than marriage.

St. Paul does when he explicitly stated that would prefer Christians to be monks/nuns, but that marriage exists for the sake of our weakness.

Was St. Paul a monk?

I think the passage reads more like: 

Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.  But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. 1 Corinthians 7:8

He says to remain unmarried.  That does not necessarily demand monasticism. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »

Christ is risen!
Roman Catholicism, at least before Vatican II, did have a less sympathetic view of sexuality than Eastern Orthodoxy, e.g. the Western Church followed St Jerome in treating sexual pleasure as intrinsically sinful, while the Eastern view was that it was not sinful in itself, just as no pleasure is sinful in itself. They also required all priests to be celibate, in contradiction to ancient tradition.

However, it is also true that the life of virginity and monasticism has indeed been considered the highest path for Christians, and this tradition goes right back to St Paul. Why do you think we require our bishops to be monks? Marriage is honorable and a type of Christ and the Church, but it is wrong to say that we give it the same status as monasticism (which is, of course, a kind of mystical marriage between a monk and the Church, or between a nun and Christ).
Meditate on the fact that monasticism is likened to marriage and not the reverse.

Right. It is marriage in its exalted state that is the model for monasticism. The point is that some here want to denigrate monasticism because they wish to exalt marriage only in its earthly, carnal aspect.
separating marriage from its earthly, carnal aspect does not exalt it.

Related to this issue: there are those who won't have icons in their bedroom for this reason.  We had a number, and a large Crucifix I brought from Jerusalem hanging over our bed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:57:49 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »

Was St. Paul a monk?

Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.  But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. 1 Corinthians 7:8

unfortunately the Church in history hasn't dealt well with this issue. Most just assume that after a time either you should by default become a monk or marry whoever is willing.  Neither do well for monasticism or marriage as a whole.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:24 PM »

Ha!

I am a rebel!

Neither nun, nor married....nor at the moment, any wish to do either.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »

Christ is risen!
Roman Catholicism, at least before Vatican II, did have a less sympathetic view of sexuality than Eastern Orthodoxy, e.g. the Western Church followed St Jerome in treating sexual pleasure as intrinsically sinful, while the Eastern view was that it was not sinful in itself, just as no pleasure is sinful in itself. They also required all priests to be celibate, in contradiction to ancient tradition.

However, it is also true that the life of virginity and monasticism has indeed been considered the highest path for Christians, and this tradition goes right back to St Paul. Why do you think we require our bishops to be monks? Marriage is honorable and a type of Christ and the Church, but it is wrong to say that we give it the same status as monasticism (which is, of course, a kind of mystical marriage between a monk and the Church, or between a nun and Christ).
Meditate on the fact that monasticism is likened to marriage and not the reverse.

Right. It is marriage in its exalted state that is the model for monasticism. The point is that some here want to denigrate monasticism because they wish to exalt marriage only in its earthly, carnal aspect.

Related to this issue: there are those who won't have icons in their bedroom for this reason.  We had a number, and a large Crucifix I brought from Jerusalem hanging over our bed.

No icons hmmm.... That never crossed my mind..... So there is a tendency to keep God and the marriage bed separate.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 12:25:14 PM »

From Fr Seraphim Rose "Patristic Understanding of the Place of Sex in the Creation".

It is typically modern to glorify sexual intercourse, but this is disordered, since it puts the carnal before the spiritual. The carnal aspect of sexuality is not sinful, but it is part of our fallen state, just as the other passions are (which are not sinful in themselves, but were not part of our nature in Paradise).
huh, is there a thing of which  Fr. Seraphim didn't convey "the patristic understanding"?
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »

Is it reccomened to practice unceasing prayer (Jesus prayer) during marital relations.

Ceaseless prayer is not something you practice.  If you are practicing it you cannot call it ceaseless.  When you acquire ceaseless prayer, your question will no longer make sense to you.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »

Was St. Paul a monk?

And yet nearly every Christian marries. Guess most have a severe problems with lust.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »

Is it reccomened to practice unceasing prayer (Jesus prayer) during marital relations.

Ceaseless prayer is not something you practice.  If you are practicing it you cannot call it ceaseless.  When you acquire ceaseless prayer, your question will no longer make sense to you.

Well then just take out the word ceaseless, and just keep Jesus prayer cuz people practice the Jesus prayer

So then the question stands if the act of sex in the confines of marriage is pure and holy.... Is t ever recommended to bring prayer into it.

I really didn't think mean to make this that complicated, sorry

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 08:56:09 PM »

There are some questions, speculations, and thoughts that we should keep to ourselves - regardless of how strongly they burn in our minds. I believe this question is one of them.

Selam
+++
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 09:33:42 PM »

Christ is risen!

No icons hmmm.... That never crossed my mind..... So there is a tendency to keep God and the marriage bed separate.

Roll Eyes
Just like Protestants have a work ethic and a church ethic.

God should never be divorced from our lives. He is every present. We cannot hide from Him.
If we cover the icons in our bedrooms, God can still see us.
What is wrong here?
Did not God create male and female? And were not we created good?

Sex is a participation in God's creation. It is holy, but we make it perverse.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »

There are some questions, speculations, and thoughts that we should keep to ourselves - regardless of how strongly they burn in our minds. I believe this question is one of them.

Selam
+++

I'm sorry if this question was a sin I beg yours and Gods forgivness
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2013, 10:10:59 PM »

I don't know if the question was a sin, I certainly don't feel comfortable calling it one.  That said, it's probably one of those things that you should speak with one's priest about, if you were really curious about it for some reason.  He knows you better, and can more accurately gauge what needs to be taught or clarified, what the needs are, etc. 

And, as strange as the question sounds to some of us, priests really have heard it all.  I know one who was approached by a parishioner regarding her and her husband's difficulty in engaging in marital relations--apparently, they (relative newlyweds) never got any sort of sex ed "back home" and they didn't know what to do with each other, and so he had to teach them some "basic mechanics".  They don't teach that in seminary, so I don't know what his research entailed, and I don't want to know.  Tongue   

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »

priests really have heard it all.  I know one who was approached by a parishioner regarding her and her husband's difficulty in engaging in marital relations--apparently, they (relative newlyweds) never got any sort of sex ed "back home" and they didn't know what to do with each other, and so he had to teach them some "basic mechanics".  They don't teach that in seminary, so I don't know what his research entailed, and I don't want to know.  Tongue    

Sounds like an evangelical match made in heaven!

Or other stuff I won't mention here, I think we've had enough talk about homosexuality.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:16:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »

Christ is risen!

All I can say is good luck with that.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2013, 05:18:05 AM »

Christ is risen!

Heh. Obviously the millions of Russian and other Slavic couples who have hung their wedding icons in the marital bedrooms, now and in past centuries never got the message ...  Wink laugh
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:19:19 AM by LBK » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2013, 08:10:14 AM »

Selam
+++

I'm sorry if this question was a sin I beg yours and Gods forgivness

No, I don't think it's a sinful question. I certainly didn't mean to make you feel bad about asking it. I just think some things are better left to ourselves, or privately discussed with our spiritual father. But heck, this forum is all about asking questions and trying to discern the proper Orthodox answers, so I'm sure that's all you meant to do. No apology necessary, and please forgive me if I made you feel bad about it.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »

Asking the question may not be a sin, but it might be an occasion of sin for some of the people who read it.  Roll Eyes

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: