OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 07:22:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Way of a Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way  (Read 2858 times) Average Rating: 0
the_grip

« on: January 18, 2005, 05:35:32 PM »

Does anyone know of a legal and online version of this in English?  i have a hard copy at home, but i wanted to share (with some friends) the confession towards the end by one of the monks in the book.

Thanks,
the_grip
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 05:39:59 PM »

I'm afraid I don't, but I just noticed your affiliation.  Welcome from another Anglican.  Smiley

Ebor

(We now return you to your previous topic already in progress .  Cool 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
the_grip

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 05:40:56 PM »

Nevermind, i found it.

Ebor, thanks for the welcome!  What parish?

In peace,
the_grip
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 06:56:55 PM »

this link has excerpts from the book:
http://landru.i-link-2.net/shnyves/Prayer_without_Ceasing.html

Proverbs 22:7
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 02:33:41 AM »

Nevermind, i found it.

Glad that you found it.

I checked out the home page that the link was on, and it's a home page for another one of those independant vagante "churches", called the Old Catholic Orthodox Church.

http://www.oldcatholicorthodoxchurch.org/

Anyways, the reason I bring it up, is that it's too bad it takes a vagante "church" group to put solid material like this on the web.  =-

In Christ,
Aaron
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 04:09:45 AM »

Grip,

From one former Episcopalian to an Episcopalian, I want to welcome you to the board. I hope that you are blessed by the book. I get something from it everytime.

Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 01:03:24 PM »

...it's too bad it takes a vagante "church" group to put solid material like this on the web. =-

Indeed...it seems as though the folks who are the most willing to "go out on a limb" eccliesiologically are also the most preoccupied with getting their version of the Truth out where people can see it. So we wind up with folks -- with apparently nothing better to do! -- spending hours upon hours putting novels' worth of information online for folks to view.

Why don't we in "World Orthodoxy" have as loud a voice/as extensive a website cache/as detailed a reference list to our views' differences from those of the world? I think it comes from the fact that we trust our bishops to devote themselves entirely to what we, in the world, are not able to do due to time constraints. Namely, devote ourselves entirely to the Scriptures, deeply study the Faith, constantly pray, translate liturgical materials, etc. For folks to take that much time to do what bishops are traditionally meant to do tells me two things:

1) They are incredibly committed to finding the truth, whatever it is (though their track record is horrible!).
2) They are apparently OK with not having a life! Grin
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 01:08:02 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 01:18:34 PM »

What is really scary is how far reaching the influence is of some of these vagantes. The real tragedy I have experienced is seeing well-meaning folks who want to be real Orthodox who can't get a canonical Church to give them refuge but the vagantes are all too willing to do so.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 01:19:26 PM by TonyS » Logged

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: