OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:39:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spiritual Fruit  (Read 171 times) Average Rating: 0
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« on: May 14, 2013, 10:43:23 AM »

I think this may not be an appropriate question to ask or ponder but it's been with me for awhile so I'm going to post.  Please be gentle.

To what extent can I chalk the lack of spiritual fruit in my life to the fact that I'm not in Eucharistic communion with the Orthodox Church?

I'm not posing this question to blame the church I do attend or anyone else, I'm fully responsible for my actions but I wonder if my difficulty in maturing and experiencing transformation is in part due to my continued participation in a heterodox church and lack of Eucharistic communion.

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »

I converted to Orthodoxy from Evangelicalism, with a period of outright atheism between the two, and I would absolutely say that the full sacramental life of the Orthodox Church is what was missing in my Evangelical experience. Our Lord made it quite plain that, "Unless ye eat the flesh of the Son of Man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you." And my baptism, chrismation, and first communion were deeply mystical experiences for me, when I felt a tangible difference afterwards. I am quite, quite far from being anywhere near perfect, but my communion with the Holy Trinity has been so much deeper and fulfilling than at any time when I was a Protestant.

I'm actually thankful for my evangelical upbringing, because it implanted within me deep desires for communion with God and a fruitful spiritual life. I became an atheist because those promises and longings were never fulfilled in any protestant expression I could find, and, not knowing about Orthodoxy, I assumed that Christianity was a fraud. Orthodox literally saved my life.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »

Not sure how to quantify it, but it does make a difference. I can barely repress a shudder when I look back on myself before I was chrismated and could receive the Body and Blood of Christ.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: