Author Topic: Last thing you drank  (Read 62040 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Last thing you drank
« Reply #945 on: July 15, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
3 Polish beers "Perła", 8 shots of Polish nalewka and 1 shot of Serbian rakija. It means: poprawiny - "fixing", i. e. the day after wedding reception.

How are you single!? Such an injustice to the men of the world.

I don't know. I just know that the wedding was one of the 3 men I really liked (but 4 years ago he claiemd there is too big difference between our temperaments). Another one got married a few months ago. The third one died last year.

Goodness gracious. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to raise a sad subject with a little joke. I do sincerely think you are very special.

I am happy, so do not be worried ;)
And thank you so much, Porter :)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #946 on: July 15, 2017, 06:57:52 PM »
Fresh limeade.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #947 on: July 16, 2017, 01:56:10 AM »
3 Polish beers "Perła", 8 shots of Polish nalewka and 1 shot of Serbian rakija. It means: poprawiny - "fixing", i. e. the day after wedding reception.
Much impressed.  I got ~1.5 liter of Antarctica (both normal Pilsen and the ice beer variety) and one shot of Amarula today, didn't get me drunk since it was along hours, but it would if I took it all at once. I'm too weak for alcohol, not ready to be a Slav yet.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #948 on: July 16, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
I'm too weak for alcohol, not ready to be a Slav yet.

It demands years of Jesus Prayer to withstand Slavic amounts of alcohol. And probably at least a few generations of Orthodox familyline.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #949 on: July 16, 2017, 08:33:11 AM »

It demands years of Jesus Prayer to withstand Slavic amounts of alcohol. And probably at least a few generations of Orthodox familyline.

Not necessarily true.  I've held my own with Russians by copying them. Eat something between drinks.  Then you can drink forever.  Or until you fall asleep.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #950 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:23 PM »
Earl Grey Tea Special Blend by Strand Tea our of Oregon. We buy our tea by the pound from them. :)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #951 on: July 16, 2017, 09:56:01 PM »
so good.
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil.
Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #952 on: July 17, 2017, 04:11:12 AM »

Not necessarily true.  I've held my own with Russians by copying them. Eat something between drinks.  Then you can drink forever. Or until you fall asleep.

Depends on the person I guess. I'd probably die in some kind of alcohol poisoning if I drank like a Slav man.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #953 on: July 17, 2017, 06:57:38 AM »

Not necessarily true.  I've held my own with Russians by copying them. Eat something between drinks.  Then you can drink forever. Or until you fall asleep.

Depends on the person I guess. I'd probably die in some kind of alcohol poisoning if I drank like a Slav man.

What's about Slav woman? ;>
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #954 on: July 17, 2017, 11:48:52 AM »

What's about Slav woman? ;>

I'm a sissy Scandinavian hipster. Slavs regardless of gender are probably manlier than me.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #955 on: July 17, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
^^ I can't handle alcohol either.  At all.

Coffee.  And before that, coffee...  ;D
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #956 on: July 17, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »

I can't handle either alcohol or coffee. :)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #957 on: July 17, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »

Coffee is probably not great for me, really.  Or at least drinking, you know, water in between cups would be good...
I'll put it on my long "self improvement" list.  :D

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #958 on: July 17, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »

So it would be difficult for you to visit Serbian churches and monasteries, as that's normal they offer to the pilgrims little (but strong) cups of coffee and rakija.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #959 on: July 17, 2017, 01:12:37 PM »

So it would be difficult for you to visit Serbian churches and monasteries, as that's normal they offer to the pilgrims little (but strong) cups of coffee and rakija.

What kind of coffee is it? Like Turkish coffee?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #960 on: July 17, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »

Yes. But, of course, in Serbian it's Serbian coffee, in Armenian it's Armenian coffee... I rembmer one of Egyptian dialect lessons at the univesity, and when we were reading something about "Turksih coffee", our Armenian mate was ready to leave the class "because it's Armenian coffee, not the one of these murdereres".

Offline AlioshaKaramazov

• Faith: Inquiring
« Reply #961 on: July 17, 2017, 01:20:01 PM »
I drank mead for the first time. It was nice at first, but the sweetness became too much for me to swallow it all. Ended up doing it anyway because I don't like to waste my money. Bad decision.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:20:53 PM by AlioshaKaramazov »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #962 on: July 17, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
I drank mead for the first time. It was nice at first, but the sweetness became too much for me to swallow it all. Ended up doing it anyway because I don't like to waste my money. Bad decision.

My wife brews mead and it's not sweet -- just really, really good. Her last batch aged for three years, which is supposedly the golden period according to Poles.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #963 on: July 17, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
There's a meadery near me that makes about eight different kinds, and the sweetness varies widely between them.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #964 on: July 17, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »

Yes. But, of course, in Serbian it's Serbian coffee, in Armenian it's Armenian coffee... I rembmer one of Egyptian dialect lessons at the univesity, and when we were reading something about "Turksih coffee", our Armenian mate was ready to leave the class "because it's Armenian coffee, not the one of these murdereres".

LOL. I love the Armenian self-esteem.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #965 on: July 17, 2017, 05:32:47 PM »
Bog-standard drip coffee, and sheer bliss it was, too. Our old coffee maker died last Monday evening, and we only managed to replace it yesterday. Somehow, the French press we used over the last few days didn't cut it.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #966 on: July 17, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »
Does now count?

Lime diet Coke with lemon.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #967 on: July 17, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
Cheap white wine from a box.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #968 on: July 17, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »

In Athonite monasteries you're offered ouzo with Turkish delight (although I bet they don't quite call it that...). Very nice.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:43:13 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #969 on: July 17, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »

At least it's not rosé?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #970 on: July 17, 2017, 07:34:49 PM »

In Athonite monasteries you're offered ouzo with Turkish delight (although I bet they don't quite call it that...). Very nice.

Lukumi in Greek; in Serbian (yeah, we have this too, and also in monasteries) it's ratluk.

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• St. Theodota, pray for me!
« Reply #971 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
Raspberry lambic (pairs nicely with boxed mac-n-cheese :)

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #972 on: July 17, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
Water, Asaam Tea, and Berry Lemonade.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #973 on: July 17, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
Bog-standard drip coffee, and sheer bliss it was, too. Our old coffee maker died last Monday evening, and we only managed to replace it yesterday. Somehow, the French press we used over the last few days didn't cut it.
This makes me regret not buying a French press even less.  ;)  It looked like a lot of trouble.

Quite probably, especially the rakija.  ;D  I mean I wouldn't refuse.  But it might be difficult to be serious for the next little while...  I would try, though.   :-X

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #974 on: July 18, 2017, 04:04:29 AM »

At least it's not rosé?

Good heavens, no. I still have some standards.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #975 on: July 19, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »

At least it's not rosé?

There are very fine rosé wines out there. 

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #976 on: July 19, 2017, 12:52:42 AM »

At least it's not rosé?

Since you're the guy who likes Franzia, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #977 on: July 19, 2017, 12:59:12 AM »

At least it's not rosé?

Since you're the guy who likes Franzia, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt.

I never wrote it's the only thing I drink.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #978 on: July 19, 2017, 01:15:43 AM »

At least it's not rosé?

I never wrote it's the only thing I drink.

I kid.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #979 on: July 25, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »
Cow's milk.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #980 on: July 29, 2017, 05:30:58 AM »
Some dirt cheap revolutionary rot gut tequila.  ;)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #981 on: August 01, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »

arab coffee

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #982 on: August 01, 2017, 12:15:26 PM »

arab coffee

it is turkish. But it is a good coffee

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #983 on: August 01, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »
I know it as arab coffee, I learn to do it with a syrian refugee that is antiochian orthodox btw. The turkish coffee has foam and it is usually prepared with sugar, arab coffee doesn't.

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #984 on: August 01, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »
I know it as arab coffee, I learn to do it with a syrian refugee that is antiochian orthodox btw. The turkish coffee has foam and it is usually prepared with sugar, arab coffee doesn't.

For me it is the same as turkish coffee, we drink it with foam or without it depends on the preference, adding sugar is optional and if you like to put sugar with the coffee it is better to put it from the beginning.  i don't think he teach you to make the coffee of the bedouin, it is similar but it contain some other stuff.

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
« Reply #985 on: August 02, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »
Water
IC XC
NI KA

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #986 on: August 02, 2017, 12:57:37 AM »

For me it is the same as turkish coffee, we drink it with foam or without it depends on the preference, adding sugar is optional and if you like to put sugar with the coffee it is better to put it from the beginning.  i don't think he teach you to make the coffee of the bedouin, it is similar but it contain some other stuff.
Let me guess: Pumpkin spice
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil.
Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #987 on: August 02, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
Green tea.

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #988 on: August 02, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »

Let me guess: Pumpkin spice

They added safran, mastic, cardamomum and clove.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:08:25 AM by youssef »

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #989 on: August 02, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »
They added safran, mastic, cardamomum and clove.

Safran and mastic is hard to find here, I usually use cardamom and clove when I make arab coffee.