OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 04:02:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last thing you drank  (Read 10128 times) Average Rating: 0
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »

english afternoon tea but that will soon be history since a a goose island ipa is winking at me.
Been dying to try   Heady Topper

Or Pliny the Younger IPA
never tried those; the goose island ipa is not all that good, but it's decent. a well meaning friend brought it over for easter thinking it was the summit of good beer.

I don't know about the "summit", but I've been missing having a bottle or two GI every now and then in the years since I've moved away from Chicago.

To the OP- a sip of water.

I've drank more than all you put together:

Or when you grow up to drinks men drink:

Then after a few hundred gallons of that, I preferred:

With enough surgical tubing, you can set yourself right for a few dollars.

Followed by . . .

I am having a hard time finding an image of liquor made from ketchup stole from the commissary.

Enjoy.

Ah, Miller High Life- the "we have enough to skip the 40s but not enough to buy real beer" beer from the days when drinking was all about getting as drunk as absolutely possible. And the Lazer 40 oz.... were the Wedding at Cana to happen today, the Theotokos would be telling Our Lord- "Son, they are out of wine" and the toastmaster would be complaining about the Lazer.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »

I went diet and it is no better.

They make it from orange juice. Who knew? It's like Whole Foods fancy drink. Antioxidants and all.

I can't stand the diet stuff. I need the real deal to get the fix.

I successfully quit cold turkey for about a year, but diet soda was the gateway drug compromise that eventually led me to fall off the wagon. I need to stop again, because at this point my Dew consumption far outweighs my water consumption. Speaking of weight, that's starting to reflect my drinking habit.

I can easily say that Mtn. Dew is far more addictive than cigarettes. It is much easier for me to quit smoking for an indefinite period of time than it is for me to go without the Dew for even a day. The withdrawals are severe. People don't think it's a big deal to drink soda, but I think there needs to be support groups. I'm going to have to get my feet sawed-off within a decade from the diabetes if I can't get off this crap.

Man, all this typing is making me thirsty. I think we all know what's about to happen. I'm such a dirty whore.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:29:43 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »

Plus, it is bad for your sperm and can lead to infertility...then again, I'm not too big on the idea of having children....

Not the case.

I've been downing the stuff for 15 years almost daily and I am virile with the issue of a horse (Ezekiel 23:20). I could probably impregnate your mom just looking at her. I've got two kids and no plans of slowing down. A good Russian Orthodox with a trail of kids behind me. Hopefully I'll have enough extra that I can send one your way when you are old and decrepit to take care of you and shoo off the cats.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »

They make it from orange juice. Who knew? It's like Whole Foods fancy drink. Antioxidants and all.

I successfully quit cold turkey for about a year, but diet soda was the gateway drug compromise that eventually led me to fall off the wagon. I need to stop again, because at this point my Dew consumption far outweighs my water consumption. Speaking of weight, that's starting to reflect my drinking habit.

I can easily say that Mtn. Dew is far more addictive than cigarettes. It is much easier for me to quit smoking for an indefinite period of time than it is for me to go without the Dew for even a day. The withdrawals are severe. People don't think it's a big deal to drink soda, but I think there needs to be support groups. I'm going to have to get my feet sawed-off within a decade from the diabetes if I can't get off this crap.

Man, all this typing is making me thirsty. I think we all know what's about to happen. I'm such a dirty whore.

Try the Trader Joes' Pomegranate White Tea, letting it steep for a couple of minutes, and then add one scoop of their organic stevia. That drink is sweet and great tasting. The stevia helps prevent the sugar craving while the white tea does contain some caffeine. Yes, you will still have caffeine withdrawals. All one can do is go cold turkey with the help of B complex or plenty of brown rice.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »

espresso
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »

Try the Trader Joes' Pomegranate White Tea

We have no Trader Joe's for several hours in any direction. Glory be to the God.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »

I am telling you . . . I spurned Dew for forever, partly due to hating my own identity being white trash, but if one week didn't turn me out.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 01:15:43 PM »

Try the Trader Joes' Pomegranate White Tea, letting it steep for a couple of minutes, and then add one scoop of their organic stevia. That drink is sweet and great tasting. The stevia helps prevent the sugar craving while the white tea does contain some caffeine. Yes, you will still have caffeine withdrawals. All one can do is go cold turkey with the help of B complex or plenty of brown rice.

White tea doesn't steep for a couple of minutes, well not if you are doing it right. And certainly not with water much above 180F that was first brought to boil then allowed to cool to that temperature to allow proper oxygenation.

Adding stevia? Just drink lipton.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

Try the Trader Joes' Pomegranate White Tea

We have no Trader Joe's for several hours in any direction. Glory be to the God.

You are a dying breed. Well if it weren't for your virility.

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »

Post deleted.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:48:46 PM by tuesdayschild » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »

I've never had Mtn. Dew (not big across the pond), but I don't think I'd like it too much if I had to go without Coke Zero for a considerable length of time.

For summertime cold drinks, I've found this infusion (and the others of the range, actually, especially the blackcurrant), incredibly refreshing.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:08:24 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »

So am I the only one here who will buy anything and everything at Costco? So many choices, such large quantities and for a cheaper price. I love that place.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »

So am I the only one here who will buy anything and everything at Costco? So many choices, such large quantities and for a cheaper price. I love that place.

My 'corner shop' happens to be the flagship store of one of the national chains, and one of the biggest supermarkets in the country. Most things in there, it would take being snowed in for a month to run out.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »

Earl Gray tea with coconut milk.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 01:32:29 PM »

Coffee
I can easily say that Mtn. Dew is far more addictive than cigarettes...

hahaha

I quit sugar drinks and almost all sugar a couple of decades ago.
20 cups of coffee helped the transition.

Other than that I eat pretty much anything in any quantity and have stayed the same weight since college (with exercise).

Silly Stars
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:28 PM »

As an update, I am quitting Mtn. Dew again starting today.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »

City slicker. In my town, "discount" = Walmart, period. And I hate it, for all of the typical liberal and human reasons.

Never been in this Trader Joe's place. Until tonight I thought they were a brand of panama hat?

Re: the OP — beer, per usual for a Thursday.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2013, 10:15:49 PM »

An Old-Fashioned.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2013, 10:20:19 PM »

My coffee maker finally died due to me using it so much Sad I was rather sad this morning. I had to make the coffee the long, old fashioned way which involved boiling water, throwing coffee grounds in and then pouring it into my cup with a strainer. It tasted rather odd.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 11:19:18 PM »

My coffee maker finally died due to me using it so much Sad I was rather sad this morning. I had to make the coffee the long, old fashioned way which involved boiling water, throwing coffee grounds in and then pouring it into my cup with a strainer. It tasted rather odd.

I put the grounds in the water and then boil it.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 11:53:23 PM »

The "Greek" coffee way.  laugh

Ελέησον με, ο Θεός, κατά το μέγα έλεος σου και κατά το πλήθος των οικτιρμών σου εξάλειψον το ανόμημα μου.

Αναστάς ο Ιησούς από του τάφου, καθώς προείπεν, έδωκεν ημίν την αιώνιον ζωήν και το μέγα έλεος.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 11:56:14 PM »

My husband pours boiled water over freshly ground coffee beans. He places a strainer over a large pyrex quart measuring cup, puts a coffee filter into the strainer, adds the ground beans, then pours a couple of cups of water into the strainer. Instant fresh coffee. Smells good too.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 11:58:31 PM »

I've ways shopped at Sam's Club.  I've never been to Costco.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:59:16 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »

Ah, you are missing a lot. Costco has a much better selection with lower prices than Sam's Club.
My husband and I compared prices, and dropped our Sam's Club membership.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:01:39 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »

I got this one..

Spinach and Cucumber juice from the Indian Store on the corner.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »

Ah, you are missing a lot. Costco has a much better selection with lower prices than Sam's Club.
My husband and I compared prices, and dropped our Sam's Club membership.

Costco membership costs $15 more than Sam's Club.  Sure, I realize that the extra $15 can be saved quickly at Costco.  If I'm in the same neighborhood as a Costco, I may drop in.
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2013, 12:21:52 AM »

Diet coke.  Ain't I creative?  I'm also a grammarian.  police
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2013, 12:36:53 AM »

Diet coke.  Ain't I creative?  I'm also a grammarian.  police

Die-it coke can kill you.

Artificial sweeteners are worse than high fructose corn syrup.
My first and last diet coke caused excruciating headaches. Then I found out that I am chemically sensitive to both Nutrasweet (aspartame) and Splenda. When I drank some Jamba Juice, not only did I have a headache, but also my heart started acting crazy as it felt like it was jumping. They told me that they use Splenda.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:38:59 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2013, 12:50:07 AM »

My first and last diet coke caused excruciating headaches. Then I found out that I am chemically sensitive to both Nutrasweet (aspartame) and Splenda. When I drank some Jamba Juice, not only did I have a headache, but also my heart started acting crazy as it felt like it was jumping. They told me that they use Splenda.

How fragile you must think humans to be.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2013, 01:00:37 AM »

You can drink formaldehyde if that is your cup of tea.
Aspartame can be converted to formaldehyde in the liver.
If you want to pickle your liver, that is your choice.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »

Why isn't the death rate increasing from GMO food and drink, artificial sweeteners, et al.?  One person's bad experiences with modern food doesn't mean that everyone will experience the same symptoms.
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2013, 01:03:32 AM »

My first and last diet coke caused excruciating headaches. Then I found out that I am chemically sensitive to both NutraSweet (aspartame) and Splenda. When I drank some Jamba Juice, not only did I have a headache, but also my heart started acting crazy as it felt like it was jumping. They told me that they use Splenda.
I thought my grammar would kill me faster than the diet coke.  Tongue
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 01:05:27 AM »

Why isn't the death rate increasing from GMO food and drink, artificial sweeteners, et al.?  One person's bad experiences with modern food doesn't mean that everyone will experience the same symptoms.

Over the news, they did report that US Citizens are not living as long.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 01:15:51 AM »

Why isn't the death rate increasing from GMO food and drink, artificial sweeteners, et al.?  One person's bad experiences with modern food doesn't mean that everyone will experience the same symptoms.

Not according to this report from the Centers for Disease Control.

In 2010, the five leading causes of death were: heart disease, cancer, chronic lower respiratory diseases, stroke, and accidents. The ranking of conditions varies according to demographics such as age, sex, and race.
The infant mortality rate reached a record-low level of 6.14 infant deaths per 1,000 live births in 2010.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db99.htm

I don't see celiac disease, chronic diarrhea, allergies, et al. as causes of death.

The report has been updated for 2011:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db115.htm
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:18:11 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2013, 01:19:26 AM »

Not according to this report from the Centers for Disease Control.

In 2010, the five leading causes of death were: heart disease, cancer, chronic lower respiratory diseases, stroke, and accidents. The ranking of conditions varies according to demographics such as age, sex, and race.
The infant mortality rate reached a record-low level of 6.14 infant deaths per 1,000 live births in 2010.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db99.htm

I don't see celiac disease, chronic diarrhea, allergies, et al. as causes of death.

Of course not, people with celiac disease and chronic diarrhea usually die of cancer, as cancer is caused by continual stress. People with allergies often die of accidental death due to choking or lower respiratory diseases.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2013, 01:35:09 AM »

Crystal Light Peach Tea.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »

Of course not, people with celiac disease and chronic diarrhea usually die of cancer, as cancer is caused by continual stress. People with allergies often die of accidental death due to choking or lower respiratory diseases.

The celiacs and constant diarrheas can also die of starvation and dehydration, nothing to do with cancer.  A person with allergies could die of shock.

If you look at the death rate for CA in the 2 reports, it decreased from 2010 to 2011.   Smiley  If the CDC releases their 2012 Death Report in November, we can see how CA's death rate changes.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2013, 02:03:28 AM »

So is it wrong that I honestly don't give a heck about my health? I mean, I only have one life and I don't want to give up everything I like and go to all these great lengths to avoid nearly everything bad for me. I don't mind if it shortens my lifetime. I'd rather enjoy a shorter life than live a long boring life.

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2013, 02:28:22 AM »

So is it wrong that I honestly don't give a heck about my health? I mean, I only have one life and I don't want to give up everything I like and go to all these great lengths to avoid nearly everything bad for me. I don't mind if it shortens my lifetime. I'd rather enjoy a shorter life than live a long boring life.

OFF TO THE MOANSTERY WITH YOU!

only water for you!

as to the question, i had water.

but to make sure no one things i am trying to boast, my food today was three hot pockets. they have very high fat and calories...

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2013, 02:33:35 AM »

Diet coke.  Ain't I creative?  I'm also a grammarian.  police
Okay, Mr. Grammarian, what's the word of the day?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:54 AM »

You can drink formaldehyde if that is your cup of tea.
Aspartame can be converted to formaldehyde in the liver.
If you want to pickle your liver, that is your choice.
Why don't you tell us the whole story, Maria? You can get as much formaldehyde into your body by drinking tomato juice, and the amount produced is not enough to cause any problems, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:43:41 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2013, 05:27:30 AM »

OFF TO THE MOANSTERY WITH YOU!

Typos can reveal so much truth... Cheesy

Of all Coke varieties, I only drink Zero now. It doesn't leave me with Diet's nasty aftertaste.

Today so far, though, I've only drank coffee. And since I've got a cold, there's a lot of tea coming up.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:27:57 AM by Arachne » Logged

mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2013, 06:14:26 AM »

Coffee, black, no sugar, just coffee...

In XC,

Deacon Philip
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »

You probably didn't boil it long enough. Ask your parents how to do it properly.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »

Coffee is horrible.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: